Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Westerman Needs to Be our RG
(08-12-2018, 05:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks for your individual analysis Essex, muchly appreciated.

This only emphasizes my belief that Westerman is playing out of position, he is a LG.

Well he played all left guard in the plays I viewed
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 06:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well he played all left guard in the plays I viewed

What? I thought he was playing RG when he made the big block for Brian Hill's 28 yard run?
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 06:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What? I thought he was playing RG when he made the big block for Brian Hill's 28 yard run?

Nope, that was a trap.  Westerman pulled from LG as the Right side crashed to the inside.  Well designed, well executed.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 06:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nope, that was a trap.  Westerman pulled from LG as the Right side crashed to the inside.  Well designed, well executed.

Ah, thanks, need to watch it again.

Hopefully what you implied happens and he stays there. With the illness he still graded out as our best O-lineman
even if it is just PFF. I am not as down on Hopkins as SoCal is but i don't think he should be the starter at RG.

Think Redmond just needs to work on his pass protection and he could be the better RG with his strength and
attitude. I liked the thought of Boling at LT and Glenn at RT for quite awhile, also heard the thought of Boling at
RT by i think Bengal Rocker months ago.

There are ways to get our best Guards on the field with the versatility of Boling be able to play both Tackle spots.
Reply/Quote
“Pollack is giving no clues who is ahead of who. ProFootballFocus.com has been raving of backup left guard Christian Westerman and rated him behind only seven-time Pro Bowl wide receiver A.J. Green for offensive grades in the pre-season opener. He did say that maybe he’d give Westerman snaps at right guard, but that’s about it.”

https://www.bengals.com/news/camp-report-o-line-still-in-flux-eifert-shines-wrs-on-the-move
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 07:40 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: “Pollack is giving no clues who is ahead of who. ProFootballFocus.com has been raving of backup left guard Christian Westerman and rated him behind only seven-time Pro Bowl wide receiver A.J. Green for offensive grades in the pre-season opener. He did say that maybe he’d give Westerman snaps at right guard, but that’s about it.”

https://www.bengals.com/news/camp-report-o-line-still-in-flux-eifert-shines-wrs-on-the-move

What exactly does this mean? Is Westerman in some sort of dog house or somethin'?

No offense Harley lol
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 08:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What exactly does this mean? Is Westerman in some sort of dog house or somethin'?

No offense Harley lol

I read nothing into it as he is in doghouse, Pollack as a coach is totally correct to say he could care less what PFF grades a player, plus he states open competition and that everyone has room for improvement.  
Reply/Quote
What about simply moving Boing to RG and letting Westerman play left?
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 03:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I want so badly to see that badazz, mean sumbitch O-line pancaking Steelers on relentless soul sucking drives.

Damn, almost makes me tear up. Mellow Sad Cry Smirk

It would do my soul so much good to see us just totally dominate the Steelers in a season sweep pounding the rock right down their throat !

I so badly want to see this O-line get it together I really don't care who is where. We have the weapons to be very competitive if the O-line can gel, I'm pretty sure.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 10:28 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It would do my soul so much good to see us just totally dominate the Steelers in a season sweep pounding the rock right down their throat !

I so badly want to see this O-line get it together I really don't care who is where. We have the weapons to be very competitive if the O-line can gel, I'm pretty sure.

I agree and not sure why fans gets so invested in THEIR GUY versus the best guy. If Pollack decides Ced. OB is best RT so be it, I could care less and just hope he and the OL perform at a high level.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 10:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: What about simply moving Boing to RG and letting Westerman play left?

Because it actually could weaken the line, here is what I mean.
1, Boling is left guard because I would bet he is better there than right guard so moving him lowers his performance 
2. Westerman might be better at LG but maybe not at the lessening of Boling.
3. Chemistry and communication is at times as important as physical ability so you already have a new tackle and center between Boling and they have been the on constant in camp on the line and have started to developed the chem and commun so why break that up now.
4. We are assuming Westerman would be a major upgrade to Hopkins with moving Boling out of position, I don't see that. And if he is that much better he should earn the start at RG anyway.
Reply/Quote
Leave Glenn , Boling and Price where they are at. Let’s solidify the left side of the line. We obviously need help at right tackle n maybe right guard. Definitely look at the waiver wire when it’s time. I think for now Westerman at RG n Hart at RT is our best line.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 10:45 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree and not sure why fans gets so invested in THEIR GUY versus the best guy. If Pollack decides Ced. OB is best RT so be it, I could care less and just hope he and the OL perform at a high level.

Here's the thing Luvnit. This core group of good/great players isn't going to be around together forever and they're now entering the back half of their careers basically speaking.

We've got a decent group of offensive weapons: Dalton, AJ, Eifert, Boyd, Gio, Mixon, ok Eifert for perhaps 8 games. And a decent core on D: Geno, Carlos, Burfict, even JacksonIII.

If we can just get average to slightly above O-line play we can be very competitive even this season I think. Next season we should/could be a real force !

But the time is now, we won't have these guys forever. I want the best set of guys in there and I don't care who's feelings are hurt, this guy is a LT playing RG, I don't care what works on paper ! Who can get the job done. If Ogbuehi is our best center so be it, If Price needs to play RG it's fine. Just let's give this core a chance !

BTW, I highly doubt Ogbuehi is the best anything.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 11:38 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Here's the thing Luvnit. This core group of good/great players isn't going to be around together forever and they're now entering the back half of their careers basically speaking.

We've got a decent group of offensive weapons: Dalton, AJ, Eifert, Boyd, Gio, Mixon, ok Eifert for perhaps 8 games. And a decent core on D: Geno, Carlos, Burfict, even JacksonIII.

If we can just get average to slightly above O-line play we can be very competitive even this season I think. Next season we should/could be a real force !

But the time is now, we won't have these guys forever. I want the best set of guys in there and I don't care who's feelings are hurt, this guy is a LT playing RG, I don't care what works on paper ! Who can get the job done. If Ogbuehi is our best center so be it, If Price needs to play RG it's fine. Just let's give this core a chance !

BTW, I highly doubt Ogbuehi is the best anything.

I simply said nothing about the future is now, it is now every year so I agree we need to fix the OL while improving the DL which was bad against the run. I said why do fans have to have their guy as the answer versus a coaching decision on who is the answer.  Ninja
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Everyone needs to calm down. It is still early. Take a deep breath.

1. There is a difference between playing the left side and the right side, but any decent O-lineman can play multiple positions if given enough time. It is not rocket science. It would be tough during the season when they don't get many live reps at all, but in preseason a guy could switch positions in a couple of weeks.

2. Westerman will get some snaps at RG. With a new O-line coach I don't see how any of the players could be considered "favorites".

3. No need to be moving Boling, Price, and Glenn around. Get by with what we have on the right side and add more players for next year if we need to. It is no big deal for one player to change positions, but when most of the line does it can cause some problems.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 02:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Everyone needs to calm down. It is still early. Take a deep breath.

1. There is a difference between playing the left side and the right side, but any decent O-lineman can play multiple positions if given enough time. It is not rocket science. It would be tough during the season when they don't get many live reps at all, but in preseason a guy could switch positions in a couple of weeks.

2. Westerman will get some snaps at RG. With a new O-line coach I don't see how any of the players could be considered "favorites".

3. No need to be moving Boling, Price, and Glenn around. Get by with what we have on the right side and add more players for next year if we need to. It is no big deal for one player to change positions, but when most of the line does it can cause some problems.

Exactly. At this point pollack is just trying to find the players and combination that works best. He is still learning about them, they are learning his techniques.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 11:38 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: BTW, I highly doubt Ogbuehi is the best anything.

For the last 2 seasons he has been the best player on every opposing team we played.....
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 02:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: For the last 2 seasons he has been the best player on every opposing team we played.....

Lol. Funny. But so true
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 10:26 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I read nothing into it as he is in doghouse, Pollack as a coach is totally correct to say he could care less what PFF grades a player, plus he states open competition and that everyone has room for improvement.  

He said maybe he might give Westerman snaps at RG but that is about it.

Almost sounds like Westerman has not impressed him. Love Pollack just saying how it comes out.

I think you are correct.

(08-13-2018, 09:53 AM)Whodey614 Wrote: If Westerman is the best man, he will play. Pollack is saying all of the right things. Westerman may have played the best but he wasn't flawless either. He's getting back into the groove after the lost weight and he will get his chance with the first team soon. If he doesn't feel as comfortable at RG as he is at LG, then the scenario where Boling moves to LT and Glenn moves to RT will come into play, although I think Pollack would prefer them on the left side. It really depends on how RT shakes out. Hart looked decent but only in comparison to Fisher and Ogbuehi both still stinking it up. Hart didn't light the world on fire (not that any of the RTs could at this point) and his ceiling at best is being the 50th best tackle in the league. It would make no sense for Pollack to praise Westerman and Redmond when he was hired then turn around and not play one of them because Hopkins is more experienced. He clearly likes Redmond too cause he's getting first team snaps in practice. They just need snaps. He's not PA. There is plenty of preseason football to be played and he could surprise us with a whole new lineup this weekend.

Redmond has to clean up his pass protection and false starts, but him and Glenn on the right side with Mixon & Gio running behind them spells danger for a lot of defenses. I really like that lineup that's been mentioned a lot of times on here. I have faith that the best lineup will be on the field come week 1.

Great post. Rock On

(08-13-2018, 10:28 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It would do my soul so much good to see us just totally dominate the Steelers in a season sweep pounding the rock right down their throat !

You know it brother. Cool
Reply/Quote