Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Westerman Needs to Be our RG
Hopkins appeared to struggle yet again at the RG spot, allowing Dalton to take a big hit early in the game.

Meanwhile Westerman was the highest graded OL with zero pressures across 25 pass block snaps according to PFF. We also know how well he played the final couple of games last year, why does he continue to not get first team reps until there are injuries?
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
So you're suggesting they scrap the legacy of the venerable Paul Alexander and his obvious genius of figuring out who should play and not play ? Until Westerman can prove he knows how to use a ketchup bottle properly he has no chance. We should demand to see every players ketchup bottle skills on film otherwise we're just spinning our wheels .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 10:44 AM)grampahol Wrote: So you're suggesting they scrap the legacy of the venerable Paul Alexander and his obvious genius of figuring out who should play and not play ? Until Westerman can prove he knows how to use a ketchup bottle properly he has no chance. We should demand to see every players ketchup bottle skills on film otherwise we're just spinning our wheels .

Let's not forget the ultimate determining factor...  How well the player can illustrate the difference between Moonlight Sonata played in e-minor, or in key of "g".   LOL

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 10:52 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let's not forget the ultimate determining factor...  How well the player can illustrate the difference between Moonlight Sonata played in e-minor, or in key of "g".   LOL

Probably an A minor song, but I could be mistaken. E minor is more suited for blues and jazz .. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 10:34 AM)corpjet Wrote: Hopkins appeared to struggle yet again at the RG spot, allowing Dalton to take a big hit early in the game.

Meanwhile Westerman was the highest graded OL with zero pressures across 25 pass block snaps according to PFF.  We also know how well he played the final couple of games last year, why does he continue to not get first team reps until there are injuries?

1. He has been out of many practices really he had not done much leading up to preseason game so totally legit why he did not start
2. Hopkins did not have a bad game, the offense scored 2 times with him in there, no major mistakes from what I could see and has also had games last year where he performed decent as a starter 
3. Westerman was also against 3s most of his time.
4. finally there are no starters yet, one preseason game in the books at least 2 more games before coaches make a decision so time, practice,health and performance will impact that decision 
Reply/Quote
I think that the best line available with this roster may just feature Westerman at RG and Hopkins at RT. Bobby Hart didn't look bad, but I've heard of him performing well in preseason and fading down the stretch for the Giants. Perkins, Fisher, and Og looked pretty rough to me.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 10:56 AM)grampahol Wrote: Probably an A minor song, but I could be mistaken. E minor is more suited for blues and jazz .. 

Congratulations, Grampahol!  You're our new starting Right Tackle!  Hilarious

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Westerman has me wondering....Early in camp he was the RG and Hopkins was moving around to all 3 interior line spots....Now Hopkins won the starting RG reps but Westerman isn't taking RG reps at all or even working him at Center.

I'm wondering if Westerman has issues playing on the right side.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Put him at right guard. And start Hart at tackle. Best oline this “year “. And next year we can see what we need to improve on. Probably right tackle
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 10:34 AM)corpjet Wrote: Hopkins appeared to struggle yet again at the RG spot, allowing Dalton to take a big hit early in the game.

Meanwhile Westerman was the highest graded OL with zero pressures across 25 pass block snaps according to PFF.  We also know how well he played the final couple of games last year, why does he continue to not get first team reps until there are injuries?

So in your opinion when Hopkins was in, we scored 2 TD's against the Bears #1 ranked (7 ranked in 2017) defense and he was bad.

But Westerman put up great numbers against the Bears 3rd and 4th string defensive lines so he was a ton better.

I like Westerman, but he also missed a lot of practice reps due to his illness. I hope the best man wins, not the man the fans like the most. I trust Pollack's decisions more than any fans opinion.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Hopkins probably has more charisma.... only Marvin would select the player with excellent charisma skills.

Hopkins: Good Morning Coach, you look as fit as ever this morning.

Marvin:

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Hopkins sucks. He did nothing the first 2 drives. We scored inspite of him. I’m rewatching the game.
Reply/Quote

I agree Westerman needs to start at RG with the first Line next game. Get that chemistry down.

He is our best prospect cause he keeps the QB clean which is number one. Redmond can be a beast run blocking but
that does not matter if you cannot pass protect. I think the main reason Westerman has not started is because he was
set back by the illness and Hopkins is the more solid, versatile guy to start immediately.

Be patient, just the first Preseason game. I have faith Pollack will have the best guys out there come the opener against
the Colts this looks like the clear starting O-line unless we pick up some steal that gets cut at RT....

Glenn - Boling - Price - Westerman - Hart
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 01:00 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Hopkins sucks.   He did nothing the first 2 drives.  We scored inspite of him.  I’m rewatching the game.

Well be great if you could give some analysis with your opinion so I went back and rewatched the first 3 drives and Hopkins did fine from what I can guess was the blocking schemes for each play (we don;t know what the coaches have called actually or the stunt calls by the Bears).  To start out for the first 16 plays against Bears 1st teams I would assume, he had zero penalties and zero major mistakes ie a whiff, beaten badly off the ball etc.  Here is what I saw for each play.  

1.  He had a reach block stayed with his man.. if you watch the line Mixon was supposed to go outside the left tackle, Mixon actually cut back into contact for little gain
2. Probably his weakest pass block of the nite but stayed with his man for 3 1/2 secs, pushed him inside, ball was away when Andy was hit
3. Did fine, first contact, then released to 2nd level and engaged LB just fine
4. Had to reach block, looks like the Bears slanted, tried to cut block, not great but still moved off ball
5. Held his block, put his man on the ground
6. Contain block on TD pass
7. Contain block on INT, give him credit for a strong pursuit and try at tackling CB
8. Nice 2nd level block on LB
9.  Draw play so setup as Pass then pushed his man, put his man on ground
10. Contain block on Pass, was fine
11. Strong Run block, Gio actually cut behind his block for a good gain
12. Same as #10
13. Had a nice push on his block, Gio again runs behind his area for a good gain
14/15- Both quick passes, he was fine, no mistakes
16. Good Seal Block on TD Pass.

I am not saying Hopkins should be the starter but from my coaching experience and assuming some of the line calls, he did just fine especially zero holding calls on any of the plays, gave up zero sacks.  No way would I rate his performance below par
Reply/Quote
We must be watching the wrong game. The first play his man made the tackle on Mixon. The tackle slanted to the right and easily tackled Mixon. On the second play , Hopkins man got to Dalton with a second and half luckily Dalton saw him n realesd the ball to Green. I’m not biased what so ever and have nothing against Hopkins. He played subpar from what I saw. I’d like to see what his score is from PFF.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 04:17 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We must be watching the wrong game.  The first play his man made the tackle on Mixon.   The tackle slanted to the right and easily tackled Mixon.  On the second play , Hopkins man got to Dalton with a second and half luckily Dalton saw him n realesd the ball to Green.  I’m not biased what so ever and have nothing against Hopkins.  He played subpar from what I saw.  I’d like to see what his score is from PFF.

Totally disagree 1st play, he is a backside reach block, the play was designed to go to left tackle Mixon cut back into his man . No way 1 1/12 maybe 3 secs but bottom line that is 2 of 16 plays, you said he played horrible but only reference two plays also gio got like 16 yards in the two runs behind Hopkins and out of 8 pass blocks only one real pressure rush on Andy.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 04:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well be great if you could give some analysis with your opinion so I went back and rewatched the first 3 drives and Hopkins did fine from what I can guess was the blocking schemes for each play (we don;t know what the coaches have called actually or the stunt calls by the Bears).  To start out for the first 16 plays against Bears 1st teams I would assume, he had zero penalties and zero major mistakes ie a whiff, beaten badly off the ball etc.  Here is what I saw for each play.  

1.  He had a reach block stayed with his man.. if you watch the line Mixon was supposed to go outside the left tackle, Mixon actually cut back into contact for little gain
2. Probably his weakest pass block of the nite but stayed with his man for 3 1/2 secs, pushed him inside, ball was away when Andy was hit
3. Did fine, first contact, then released to 2nd level and engaged LB just fine
4. Had to reach block, looks like the Bears slanted, tried to cut block, not great but still moved off ball
5. Held his block, put his man on the ground
6. Contain block on TD pass
7. Contain block on INT, give him credit for a strong pursuit and try at tackling CB
8. Nice 2nd level block on LB
9.  Draw play so setup as Pass then pushed his man, put his man on ground
10. Contain block on Pass, was fine
11. Strong Run block, Gio actually cut behind his block for a good gain
12. Same as #10
13. Had a nice push on his block, Gio again runs behind his area for a good gain
14/15- Both quick passes, he was fine, no mistakes
16. Good Seal Block on TD Pass.

I am not saying Hopkins should be the starter but from my coaching experience and assuming some of the line calls, he did just fine especially zero holding calls on any of the plays, gave up zero sacks.  No way would I rate his performance below par

Thanks for the knowledgeable depiction, Essex.  That is the type of breakdown that I have been looking for.  Having not been able to watch the game, it's really tough to get any accurate feel for how things went down, from "recap" and "highlight" videos.

Based upon what you have described, I would fully expect Hopkins to remain with the starting unit, next Saturday in Dallas.  Typically, the 3rd preseason game is billed as the "dress rehearsal" game, but I expect this one with the Cowboys to be pretty intense for preseason.  Dallas is hosting in Prime Time Saturday Night, they are going to want to make a national statement.  Then, when you factor the coaching swap between the two teams, it gets even more interesting.  Line play should be very interesting to watch, on both sides of the ball.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Im hoping Hopkins was allowed to start because Marv usually goes with vets. And because like some have said Westerman was slightly behind due to illness.

It is obvious when he is out there Westerman has a mean streak and bully mentality... I want that out there all the time
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 04:40 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Totally disagree 1st play, he is a backside reach block, the play was designed to go to left tackle Mixon cut back into his man . No way 1 1/12 maybe 3 secs but bottom line that is 2 of 16 plays, you said he played horrible but only reference two plays also gio got like 16 yards in the two runs behind Hopkins and out of 8 pass blocks only one real pressure rush on Andy.
Those were just the first two plays of the game. How is his man tackling Mixon not on him ? We can’t agree on the first two plays of the game. So why continue analyzing plays.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 05:38 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Those were just the first two plays of the game. How is his man tackling Mixon not on him ?  We can’t agree on the first two plays of the game.  So why continue analyzing plays.

Mixon cut back into the mix and was tackled . And you do understand that play was designed not to go where Mixon went correct? My analysis was unbiased and for each 16 plays.
Reply/Quote