Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Westerman is considering retirement
(08-16-2019, 10:59 AM)ochocincos Wrote: How do you know he didn't ask and they told him no?

Well then its put up or shut up time...

he shut up and shut down
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 04:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well then its put up or shut up time...

he shut up and shut down

This is possible, but we are pretty in the dark right now so who knows.  This reminds me of buttloads of Steeler fans calling Bill Cowher a quitter who gave up and walked on on them during and after the 2006 season and then it was like "Hey, surprise!  His wife was terminally ill and he just didn't want to tell everyone!  Whoops!"

Then again, Westerman may figure if he isn't a lock to start on this terrible o-line then he's a lost cause and his NFL career is a bust.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This is possible, but we are pretty in the dark right now so who knows.  This reminds me of buttloads of Steeler fans calling Bill Cowher a quitter who gave up and walked on on them during and after the 2006 season and then it was like "Hey, surprise!  His wife was terminally ill and he just didn't want to tell everyone!  Whoops!"

Actually whenever a real young guy retires I assume there is something big going on in his life.  Most of the guys who are not 100% dedicated to football wash out their first year.  For the most part the only guys who make rosters are the ones who love the game enough to work hard year round.

Where else is Christian going to find a job paying him $700K a year?
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Then again, Westerman may figure if he isn't a lock to start on this terrible o-line then he's a lost cause and his NFL career is a bust.

I seriously doubt it.  Pretty much every man on this planet feels he has he ability to be doing better than he is.  I'd say athletes good enough to play in the NFL a few years have pretty solid egos.
Reply/Quote
Maybe he has gender dysphoria and wants to transition to female?

It really could be anything.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Maybe he has gender dysphoria and wants to transition to female?

It really could be anything.

He could stay on the team while he does that and be a bit of a pioneer of sorts, though.
Reply/Quote
Well shit that's disappointing.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Turner must have had a real talk with the group. Can't say I have ever seen two young OL on the same team retire over a two week period.

What a waste of time these past few years with Ogbuehi, Fisher, Perkins, and now Westerman. Lot of dead weight we were carrying.
Reply/Quote
Guy couldn’t find playing time with a team having a horrible o-line. It isn’t like this guy was ever going to be on the level of Anthony Munoz. No big loss let’s move on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I doubt it is "considering" any longer as he has been placed on the exempt/left team list.

Seems to me he doesn't want to be a backup and no longer thinks he will make final roster, so is content to walk away and do something different with his life. He is career is right about at the average for time in the league, so maybe that was all he needed to know it was time to do something else.
Reply/Quote
I mean he did go to college. Maybe he studied something he loved, that football just wasn't going to work out, and figured now was the time. Also, it is not like the salary he made is it. Give me his money for a few years and that will be a big thing, as I'd still work the rest of my life, as he will.
Reply/Quote
He will replace Lapham on the mic.
Reply/Quote
Well that's 3 offensive linemen in as many weeks. What is Shirley or whatever his name was from several years back doing ?
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 11:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Well that's 3 offensive linemen in as many weeks. What is Shirley or whatever his name was from several years back doing ?

Last i heard Shirley was trying to join WWE
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
The team placed him on the exempt/left team list so they haven’t entirely given up on him. Perkins was waived. Maybe he’ll be back once he deals with whatever is going on.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I wouldn't be joking too much about him, he obviously has something going on with him or his family that is big enough that he's leaving a game where, even as a backup, he makes more money than 98% of the people in the world. (I just made that number up, but it's got to be close) I wish him well.
Reply/Quote
I see this as his way of leaving the team and coming back with another team at some point down the road..??
Reply/Quote
He was probably tired of the BS; he should have been a starter for the past two years and wasn't really given a fair chance.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 12:34 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I see this as his way of leaving the team and coming back with another team at some point down the road..??

He can't. They put him on the Reserve/Left Squad list and therefore retain his rights. He either plays out his contract with the Bengals, or he doesn't play, period.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually whenever a real young guy retires I assume there is something big going on in his life.  Most of the guys who are not 100% dedicated to football wash out their first year.  For the most part the only guys who make rosters are the ones who love the game enough to work hard year round.

Where else is Christian going to find a job paying him $700K a year?

This whole leaving the team just fuels my suspicion that there was something wrong upstairs.   A lifelong football player and college graduate can't grasp his assignments even though he proved he was physically capable for the job?   Now leaving the team like this when his number looked like it was about to be called?   I think the man is mentally ill--not stupid crazy like Incognito--but legit mental illness like bipolar or major depression.  
Reply/Quote