Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Westerman is considering retirement
(08-17-2019, 01:15 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He was probably tired of the BS; he should have been a starter for the past two years and wasn't really given a fair chance.

Are we assuming they're giving him a fair chance now?  It's hard to tell, honestly.  I would think they are, but I also think the notion that Marvin kept people on the bench just for the hell of it is a bit overblown, too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 01:41 PM)dr tarzan Wrote: This whole leaving the team just fuels my suspicion that there was something wrong upstairs.   A lifelong football player and college graduate can't grasp his assignments even though he proved he was physically capable for the job?   Now leaving the team like this when his number looked like it was about to be called?   I think the man is mentally ill--not stupid crazy like Incognito--but legit mental illness like bipolar or major depression.  

What makes you think that he's a college graduate?  I tried looking for info about what field he might have graduated in, and found nothing relative to his academics.  Did you find something?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
The Bengals are clearly better off without him.
If he decides to change his mind and return....who's to say
He won't pull the same thing 2 months from now?
Your either 110 % in or not.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2019, 07:20 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: This is shocking really:

I kind of passed this over like what?

Then i saw the poster was Psych. This is just strange to me.

Thought he could win the starting LG position pretty easily on this team.

Always liked Westerman, too bad. Must be having concussion problems or another future in mind.

Wish him the best and Perkins who i thought was decent.

Gonna have to add some dudes on the Line that is for sure.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 04:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Are we assuming they're giving him a fair chance now?  It's hard to tell, honestly.  I would think they are, but I also think the notion that Marvin kept people on the bench just for the hell of it is a bit overblown, too.

He was better than Redmond last season and it was easy to tell. I am sure Marvin had his reasons but that doesn't mean they were good reasons.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 05:13 PM)pally Wrote:

Hopefully, this will clear things up for some of us, especially since we've all had our knee-jerk and comedic reactions to the news.  (myself included)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually whenever a real young guy retires I assume there is something big going on in his life.  Most of the guys who are not 100% dedicated to football wash out their first year.  For the most part the only guys who make rosters are the ones who love the game enough to work hard year round.

Where else is Christian going to find a job paying him $700K a year?

Washing dishes or digging ditches by hand. Those are always well sought after jobs..  ThumbsUp

The all encompassing personal issues could mean just about anything from his wife/gf hates him to his grandma is at deaths door.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 05:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hopefully, this will clear things up for some of us, especially since we've all had our knee-jerk and comedic reactions to the news.  (myself included)

A lot of people immediately jumped to the conclusion that he did it because he was getting replaced or wasn't "tough" enough to handle Turner's coaching style. Maybe people should wait until the reasoning actually comes to light, as it could be something extremely serious.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 10:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: A lot of people immediately jumped to the conclusion that he did it because he was getting replaced or wasn't "tough" enough to handle Turner's coaching style. Maybe people should wait until the reasoning actually comes to light, as it could be something extremely serious.

Enough said.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 10:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: A lot of people immediately jumped to the conclusion that he did it because he was getting replaced or wasn't "tough" enough to handle Turner's coaching style. Maybe people should wait until the reasoning actually comes to light, as it could be something extremely serious.

But it makes me feel tough to doubt the toughness of people who could beat me up.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 01:41 PM)dr tarzan Wrote: This whole leaving the team just fuels my suspicion that there was something wrong upstairs.   A lifelong football player and college graduate can't grasp his assignments even though he proved he was physically capable for the job?   Now leaving the team like this when his number looked like it was about to be called?   I think the man is mentally ill--not stupid crazy like Incognito--but legit mental illness like bipolar or major depression.  

There are a hidden number of players in the NFL that may have symptoms of Bipolar Mood Disorder, Anxiety (GAD), Borderline Personality, Narcissistic Personality, Panic Disorders and other disorders.  But then again, Mental illness does not discriminate based on one's career.

Nevertheless, a player losing desire to play professional sports is not uncommon. Motivation to play sports varies based upon the skill level of athletes and this motivation is tested during transitions from High School to College. A star, highly talented athlete, as an example, may lose desire to play sports.  Similarly  this occurs during the transition from collegiate sports to Pros.  Elite athletes have a burning coal buried deep into his or her soul that cannot be quenched which propels them to strive on against odds of playing, injuries, and loss of personal relationships.  Sometimes the sport does not match an athletes preference or preconceived ideals and the daily grind is not worth the effort. On the other hand, sometimes the athlete becomes the sport in that the sport defines his or her identity.  Losing the opportunity to play, means losing a significant part of his or her identity.  This explains why athletes like Brett Favre have trouble retiring.   

I would not speculate that Westerman has a mental illness without additional information.  There is no evidence that Westerman has struggled with mental illness to my knowledge.  I say this only because it broadens the stigma associated with mental illness to players and people in general who quit or fail at his or her job.  Many people with mental illness are great athletes, leaders, artist, performing artist, and can live a relatively full life and have productive careers.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 01:15 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He was probably tired of the BS; he should have been a starter for the past two years and wasn't really given a fair chance.

Except 3 different guys who get paid to coach NFL O-Lines and 2 Head Coaches disagree with you....
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 02:56 AM)psychdoctor Wrote:  Many people with mental illness are great athletes, leaders, artist, performing artist, and can live a relatively full life and have productive careers.  

Mike Reid who was both an All Pro DT for the Bengals and a Grammy winning country western star suffered from depression.  He said that back in the mid '70's when he was playing no pro athlete would ever admit to having any problems with depression.  Most people did not even consider it a mental disorder.  Instead it was just "weakness".

I bet that even today there are gay players in the NFL who are afraid to come out.

I am not saying westerman is dealing with anything like this at all.  Just think people should consider these things whenever a young player retires.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 02:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mike Reid who was both an All Pro DT for the Bengals and a Grammy winning country western star suffered from depression.  He said that back in the mid '70's when he was playing no pro athlete would ever admit to having any problems with depression.  Most people did not even consider it a mental disorder.  Instead it was just "weakness".

I bet that even today there are gay players in the NFL who are afraid to come out.

I am not saying westerman is daling with anything like this at all.  Just think people should consider these things whenever a young player retires.
I find it is curious that the FO has not placed Westerman on waivers like Perkins.  They are giving him time to either get help or to re-evaluate the situation.  I find it equally curious that two OL players decide or consider retirement in less than two weeks.  I know Boiling was a medical situation.  I just find it odd.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:56 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: So uhhh we still blaming all the previous OL coaches for Westerman not getting reps?  lol dude just didn't have it.

The end of the season two years ago...

Last year's highest ranked offensive lineman....

He had something, but I guess he didn't have the mental part.  
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 02:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mike Reid who was both an All Pro DT for the Bengals and a Grammy winning country western star suffered from depression.  He said that back in the mid '70's when he was playing no pro athlete would ever admit to having any problems with depression.  Most people did not even consider it a mental disorder.  Instead it was just "weakness".

I am not saying westerman is dealing with anything like this at all.  Just think people should consider these things whenever a young player retires.

I'm starting to think, there might be something wrong with his wife or children and needs his time devoted there. Just my speculation.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 03:30 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'm starting to think, there might be something wrong with his wife or children and needs his time devoted there. Just my speculation.

I doubt that you'd see the speculation of retirement from the media though in that scenario. You'd think he'd want to keep playing for sure then for the salary and health insurance.

Like Fred said, these guys make so much money even as backups...that if they retire they'll never make that money in the real world.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 10:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I doubt that you'd see the speculation of retirement from the media though in that scenario. You'd think he'd want to keep playing for sure then for the salary and health insurance.

Like Fred said, these guys make so much money even as backups...that if they retire they'll never make that money in the real world.

The team would be willing to help as well.  Remember Devin Still?
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2019, 11:02 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: The team would be willing to help as well.  Remember Devin Still?

Yep. All the news I've read is that he left the team considering retirement and install of putting him on the retirement list, the Bengals put him on a different list that gives him until tomorrow to decide.

I do think Taylor probably works these guys really hard and probably yells at them when they make mistakes. Also, having a rookie come in and basically outplay you has to be hard for Westerman.

That said, if you can't make a roster spot on this bad offensive line...you're probably not long for the NFL.
Reply/Quote