Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Western Rollerama - CLOSED!
Not because the family wanted to close the doors but because of a nephew of the original owner saw $$$, or so the rumors I've heard.

Now, back in the late 70's through the late 80's, I frequented Western Rollerama at least every other week, First with family then with friends. Once high school was done in 1988, I stopped going and worked, got married and moved to Indiana.

It really is a shame that this place closed down. The family said they were still wanting to stay open so apparently the rink made money. Maybe not a lot but enough to feed their family and keep it open. 

This place has been a part of the West Side since the 70's...that I know of.

Damn.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
Your boy bfine used the frequent the rinks every Friday night. He could skate fast and always was a participant in the races; although he crashed more than he won. But he never learned skate backwards so on the couples skate he had to find a girl that skated backwards or do that lame arm around each other skating forward thing.

Kids these days do not know what they are missing
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There are still seven or eight rinks in the Greater Cincinnati area but none on the West Side.

The Cincinnati Skate Style is called "The Stride" lol.
In Kentucky, their style is "The Toss" I believe. 
I don't know about anyone else though.

I read something posted by my cousin yesterday about the rink closing a couple days ago and the memories came flooding back.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
When I was a kid the whole family went skating once a week on "family night". It was one night through the week. We stopped about the time I started high school.

I took my daughters both ice skating and roller skating. They enjoyed it, but we don't do it anymore. I had a knee go bad so I stopped skating when I took them.
Reply/Quote
Anyone remember "The Bus Stop" in Dayton in the late 70's early 80's. It was a disco on one side and a roller rink on the other. It did not serve alcohol so it was a huge teen hangout. The Toast used to bust some serious moves on that dance floor, but I never skated there.

In 8th and 9th grade instead of regular gym class I had gymnastics training. I was very flexible. I could do splits and back handsprings and all sorts of stuff.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 11:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Your boy bfine used the frequent the rinks every Friday night. He could skate fast and always was a participant in the races; although he crashed more than he won. But he never learned skate backwards so on the couples skate he had to find a girl that skated backwards or do that lame arm around each other skating forward thing.

Kids these days do not know what they are missing

[Image: VastOldfashionedClumber-size_restricted.gif]
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I liked ice skating. A lot of my friends played hockey, so we'd go to open skates on Friday nights. Never cared for roller skating.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:51 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I liked ice skating.  A lot of my friends played hockey, so we'd go to open skates on Friday nights.  Never cared for roller skating.

I think ice skating is easier than roller skating.

My girls thought it would be much harder to skate on one thin blade than 4 wheels, but when they tried it they agreed with me.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 06:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think ice skating is easier than roller skating.

My girls thought it would be much harder to skate on one thin blade than 4 wheels, but when they tried it they agreed with me.

In my experience it is.  I found turning a lot easier in ice skating.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I lost my love of skating at a young age when I fell down on the floor and some big fat girl ran over my finger then laughed at my pain.. I never forgot that moment. 

"Well she might be nasty she might be fat
But I never met a person who would tell her that
She's my big blonde bomber
My heavy handed Hackensack mama"

Uhmm...we never fell in love.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote