Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What’s important and should be the staff’s focus for 2022?
Well I’m sure not capable of knowing like maybe a few others here but here goes.

1. Molding and improving the OL. Duh have we beat that dead horse LOL. But certainly solidifying the LG spot and the backup there the most important element and getting Tre Hill capable if needed.
2. Standing pat it appears at WR but maybe keeping an eye out for available players to pick up if needed or to trade for in event of injury.
3. The return game
4. Dax Hill. Find his place. He needs on the field
5. Getting CTB ready to replace Apple if he struggles or just in general. Same goes for Tycen Anderson as a back up safety.
6. DL reserves… Cam Sample, Shelvin, Tupol, & Carter somebody needs to emerge there like Hill did. Ossai I’m not concerned about. He’s going to help for sure.
7. Hayden Hurst… I think he starts slow … by design. They are going to use him in basic schemes then against Dallas spring him. But he’s going to be more valuable in easing the concentration on our WR.
8. Third Down/Red Zone … gots to be better
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 01:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well I’m sure not capable of knowing like maybe a few others here but here goes.

1. Molding and improving the OL. Duh have we beat that dead horse LOL. But certainly solidifying the LG spot and the backup there the most important element and getting Tre Hill capable if needed.
2. Standing pat it appears at WR but maybe keeping an eye out for available players to pick up if needed or to trade for in event of injury.
3. The return game
5. Getting CTB ready to replace Apple if he struggles or just in general. Same goes for Tycen Anderson as a back up safety.
6. DL reserves… Cam Sample, Shelvin, Tupol, & Carter somebody needs to emerge there like Hill did. Ossai I’m not concerned about. He’s going to help for sure.
7. Hayden Hurst…  I think he starts slow … by design. They are going to use him in basic schemes then against Dallas spring him. But he’s going to be more valuable in easing the concentration on our WR.

This is one area they need to improve, a lot. Hopefully the new Oline can help us to make some big strides in that area.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Eliminating sacks certainly helps precipitate more manageable 3rd downs. Good point about backup center. It’s early, but Trey Hill hasn’t shown promise or instilled confidence.
Reply/Quote
Offense......Short Yardage. If we can't get it running then come up with a scheme to throw for it. I am hoping the additions to the O-line fix this problem. It was far and away the biggets issue we had on offense.

Defense.....Learn how to hold onto a lead int he 4th quarter/overtime. Way too many 4th quarter folds by the defense. We can't depend on the offense to score in the final seconds to bail us out every time.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 01:53 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This is one area they need to improve, a lot. Hopefully the new Oline can help us to make some big strides in that area.

Yes. Need to improve big time in the RZ and score TD's instead of kicking FG's all the time like we did in the Postseason.
Reply/Quote
As has been said, short yardage.
Reply/Quote
There’s still a lot of work to be done. Some have mentioned short yardage and third down. I included that because that’s glaring. But I believe that getting the rookies ready to be ready to play in case of a key injury and some of our younger players in the DL is paramount. We aren’t going to be as lucky on the injury front. It’s just unlikely. This roster isn’t there yet. The staff has to get backups ready this year if we are going back to the SB
Reply/Quote
Win every game and the games they don't win figure out how to win the next one.. Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. Any other bright ideas? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I'd like to see more defensive touchdowns.

Aggressive special teams plays. When is the last return for a TD we've seen? When was the last fake punt we've seen? When ran some in recent past and those fakes always worked, so Simmons got them in the playbook. When was the last block kick/punt. Our special teams has been pretty conservative recently.

Replace the pitch for more draw plays. Those worked well when used late in the season.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Gotta cap in the RZ like other(s) said already. That to me was the biggest thing. Love me some Money Mac, but we need those TD's. We have the players, lets puzzle them together.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 01:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well I’m sure not capable of knowing like maybe a few others here but here goes.

3. The return game
7. Hayden Hurst…  I think he starts slow … by design. They are going to use him in basic schemes then against Dallas spring him. But he’s going to be more valuable in easing the concentration on our WR.

Wish I knew how to cleanly respond in each point (other than just bolding) like Nate does...

But here goes:

Lots of good stuff on here, and point #1 was most likely the most important.  The additional coach added to help Pollack should help him develop the second tier guys while Pollack works with the starters.  Although it sounds simple, it is a big addition and could pay huge dividends.  I think between Trenton Irwin and a few of the UDFA, that 7th WR spot is likely already on the roster.  There could be a surprise WR available, but I like the talent behind the big three...just think Mike Thomas is probably at risk of being bumped in favor of Irwin, who a number of coaches rave about in practice.

Special teams and the rookies gaining experience (I think Bates will be there) in packages will be huge.  

The D line would rank as my second most important facet and most specifically, the pass rush.  There needs to be more rotation and blitz packages.  The Bengals relied on Hendrickson way too much last year.  There needs to be packages where Ossai, Hendrickson, Hubbard, and a fourth like Kareem, Sample, or even one of the rookies are in a sort-of NASCAR package.  Generating pressure on the opposing QB is every bit as important as protecting yours.  

Your comment about Hurst lines up well with the Red Zone comment....I think they will benefit each other.  And I think Hurst, Boyd, the RBs, and even Chase when lined up in the slot are going to be vital to adapt to what I believe defenses will try to do against the Bengals:  Two deep safeties.  I think they will do everything to limit Tee and Chase deep and hope the Bengals self destruct of the pass rush gets home and takes away longer developing stuff underneath.  Personally, I think this will play right in to the hands of Taylor and Callahan.  They will have safe, high % plays to sustain drives keeping the defense off the field.  Get ahead by a couple scores and you can take kill shots on offense and unleash the pass rush without having to respect the run game very much.  Kind of like the Manning-led Colts. 

It was the subject of a somewhat controversial thread, but I would like to see Mixon give up some touches to Evans and even Perine.  I want Joe 100% healthy and breathing fire for big games (I know they all are) and the playoffs.  If the Bengals are fortunate enough to have home field throughout the playoffs, the run game will be a key in December and January.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 02:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Offense......Short Yardage. If we can't get it running then come up with a scheme to throw for it. I am hoping the additions to the O-line fix this problem. It was far and away the biggets issue we had on offense.

Defense.....Learn how to hold onto a lead int he 4th quarter/overtime. Way too many 4th quarter folds by the defense. We can't depend on the offense to score in the final seconds to bail us out every time.

LMAO
Our last 8 games including 6 playoff teams (excluding the Browns) we outscored our opponents in the second half and OT 96-55
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 11:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Wish I knew how to cleanly respond in each point (other than just bolding) like Nate does...

But here goes:

Lots of good stuff on here, and point #1 was most likely the most important.  The additional coach added to help Pollack should help him develop the second tier guys while Pollack works with the starters.  Although it sounds simple, it is a big addition and could pay huge dividends.  I think between Trenton Irwin and a few of the UDFA, that 7th WR spot is likely already on the roster.  There could be a surprise WR available, but I like the talent behind the big three...just think Mike Thomas is probably at risk of being bumped in favor of Irwin, who a number of coaches rave about in practice.

Special teams and the rookies gaining experience (I think Bates will be there) in packages will be huge.  

The D line would rank as my second most important facet and most specifically, the pass rush.  There needs to be more rotation and blitz packages.  The Bengals relied on Hendrickson way too much last year.  There needs to be packages where Ossai, Hendrickson, Hubbard, and a fourth like Kareem, Sample, or even one of the rookies are in a sort-of NASCAR package.  Generating pressure on the opposing QB is every bit as important as protecting yours.  

Your comment about Hurst lines up well with the Red Zone comment....I think they will benefit each other.  And I think Hurst, Boyd, the RBs, and even Chase when lined up in the slot are going to be vital to adapt to what I believe defenses will try to do against the Bengals:  Two deep safeties.  I think they will do everything to limit Tee and Chase deep and hope the Bengals self destruct of the pass rush gets home and takes away longer developing stuff underneath.  Personally, I think this will play right in to the hands of Taylor and Callahan.  They will have safe, high % plays to sustain drives keeping the defense off the field.  Get ahead by a couple scores and you can take kill shots on offense and unleash the pass rush without having to respect the run game very much.  Kind of like the Manning-led Colts. 

It was the subject of a somewhat controversial thread, but I would like to see Mixon give up some touches to Evans and even Perine.  I want Joe 100% healthy and breathing fire for big games (I know they all are) and the playoffs.  If the Bengals are fortunate enough to have home field throughout the playoffs, the run game will be a key in December and January.

The nascar package would be great. Don’t know who fits in that puzzle though. I’ve said this a million times on here lately. I’d like to see Evans spell Mixon more and Mixon spell Perine. Kinda like you but we need Mixon on third down. We’ve not been able to use the screen much as an impromptu play. On third down ( Mixon’s not in there) we’ve had to stay in and block. We’ve run screens but they were easy to sniff out. The big plays out of screens come on the back being the last read. I think Hurst despite what FredMertz says is more athletic ( those at practice says he’s exceedingly more so than C J) . I think they get much more creative there.

But in general I just see this offense like a young strict religious high school kid unleashed at college far from home LOL with the better OL.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 11:46 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: LMAO
Our last 8 games including 6 playoff teams (excluding the Browns) we outscored our opponents in the second half and OT 96-55

I guess my point went over your head.

We can't count on the offense scoring in the final seconds to bail out our defense when we blow a lead in overtime or the 4th quarter.  
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 12:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I guess my point went over your head.

We can't count on the offense scoring in the final seconds to bail out our defense when
we blow a lead in overtime or the 4th quarter.  

Here’s what you said:

In the last 8 games ( excluding the Browns) when did we blow leads? You responded to me Denver,SF, and another. It’s the NFL. Leads change. Calling out the defense after the way they played specifically from the first KC game through the playoffs is a total miss on your part and a slap at the entire Bengal kingdom. Shame on you. . Other words you went right over your own head with that statement

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 11:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Wish I knew how to cleanly respond in each point (other than just bolding) like Nate does...

But here goes:

Nice post once again SHRacer. Agree with everything you say. First off, the trenches need to improve on both sides especially 
on Offense which I think they will with the additions as long as they stay healthy somewhat. This will improve both the running 
and passing game on Offense. Mixon due for his best season and like you say, use him different. Use Evans some on running 
downs and Mixon on passing downs to change things up. Keep Mixon fresh, don't wear him out like we were doing last year.

Trent Irwin or even Lassiter who has been catching passes from Burrow could help. You never know, these types of UDFA's 
can come out of nowhere and be what you need for depth. Been seeing and hearing good things about both of these guys.

Thinking out of Ossai, Cam Sample, Gunter, Kareem, Hubert, one of these guys should be able to help out Hendrickson and
Hubbard rushing the passer off the edge. Need to spell Trey, like you said we relied on him too much to do ALL of the pass 
rushing for us. Hendrickson needs some help. We have a lot of guys and at least one of them needs to step up.

My bet is Ossai of course lol
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 12:13 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Here’s what you said:

In the last 8 games ( excluding the Browns) when did we blow leads? You responded to me Denver,SF, and another. It’s the NFL. Leads change. Calling out the defense after the way they played specifically from the first KC game through the playoffs is a total miss on your part and a slap at the entire Bengal kingdom. Shame on you. . Other words you went right over your own head with that statement

He tends to do that ha ha  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Sustaining offensive drives. The Bengals were a big play team in 2021 but struggled to sustain drives mostly because they stalled on 3rd and 4th and short. I recently seen somehwere they mentioned the Bengals were 5th in 3rd/4th and short opportunities but were 25th in conversions. It call comes back to the offensive line and the run game need better all around blocking.

On Defense as mentioned they need some of the younger players to take that next step as pass rushers. The Pass rush looked ALOT better than it had the previous two seasons but is no where near where it needs to be... Some of these guys they have drafted over the last few years need to take them to the next level.

Edit: LoL just noticed a quick summary for my post. BETTER PLAY IN THE TRENCHES.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 12:13 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote:  Calling out the defense after the way they played specifically from the first KC game through the playoffs is a total miss on your part and a slap at the entire Bengal kingdom. Shame on you. . Other words you went right over your own head with that statement

You are so precious.  You remind me of Giants fans from '07 and '11.

"The regular season doesn't mean anything.  Just look at what we did in the postseason.  No one can possibly stop us from winning the Super Bowl again next year!!"

BTW from the first Kansas City game on we allowed 369.3 yards per game which would have ranked 27th in the league during the regular season and 22.3 points per game which would have also ranked in the bottom half of the league (17th).
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 02:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You are so precious.  You remind me of Giants fans from '07 and '11.

"The regular season doesn't mean anything.  Just look at what we did in the postseason.  No one can possibly stop us from winning the Super Bowl again next year!!"

BTW from the first Kansas City game on we allowed 369.3 yards per game which would have ranked 27th in the league during the regular season and 22.3 points per game which would have also ranked in the bottom half of the league (17th).

It’s about wins Fred. We went 4-1 from that game on LOL. That excludes the Browns loss. You are amazing trying so hard to discredit this staff all the time.

Reply/Quote