Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What’s important and should be the staff’s focus for 2022?
(06-15-2022, 01:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Improving our running game does not mean rolling up huge rushing totals. Instead it means being able to run the ball when we have to.

In fact we could rush for FEWER yards and still have a greatly improved rushing game if we could convert short yardage/goal line situations and just pick up a few first downs to burn the clock when we have a lead.

Burrow and our receivers are elite. I don't want to take the ball away from them to turn into a run heavy offense.

Actually we will rush for more yards this year with fewer attempts. It’s going to be more efficient.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2022, 01:54 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Actually we will rush for more yards this year with fewer attempts. It’s going to be more efficient.

It should be.

I liked Pollack better than Turner, but if we don't have a decent run game with Mixon and the three new additions to the O-line we need to look at the coaches.
Reply/Quote
Short yardage 1st downs
Pass blocking
Red zone scoring
Plan for injuries to offensive starters
How to get Hill and CTB ramped up in case either (or both) needs to start
Punt returns (Taylor had a much lower YPR last year compared to his career average)
DL rotation
Get the lead earlier and hold it - Being behind 3 scores and having to make a miracle in the 2nd half to win is not recipe for sustained success
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2022, 02:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It should be.

I liked Pollack better than Turner, but if we don't have a decent run game with Mixon and the three new additions to the O-line we need to look at the coaches.

Unfortunately Turner will go down as Taylor’s worst decision… and probably of his entire career. Turned related to his FIL and longevity with him to boot clouded him. Turner’s sergeant style is so outdated for college much less the NFL. Total miss by Taylor. Pollack was well thought of by Mike Brown and Mixon. Now it’s Brown’s hire. And you are right he needs to deliver.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 02:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Offense......Short Yardage.  If we can't get it running then come up with a scheme to throw for it.  I am hoping the additions to the O-line fix this problem.  It was far and away the biggets issue we had on offense.

Defense.....Learn how to hold onto a lead int he 4th quarter/overtime.  Way too many 4th quarter folds by the defense.  We can't depend on the offense to score in the final seconds to bail us out every time.
I disagree,  I believe counting playoff games we avg giving up less than 3 pts in 4th quarter and OT in  7 of the last 9 games excluding super bowl and last game of backups with browns, we never make the super bowl  without that run of games
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2022, 01:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cam Sample could be really good. He was if I am not mistaken one of the top pass rushers in college his last season.

Just from the small school and didn't get a ton of Sacks, but he had one of the highest win percentages, lots of pressures and
can stop the run. Also has the body to make the switch to 3-tech if we need him to.

You are correct, sir (In my best Ed McMahon voice).  Sample rated a 90.4 in pass rush in his final year in college.  He had 48 pressures in 316 pass rush snaps with 5 sacks.  He came out at 280 lbs, but I believe he is above that now around 290.  

He stayed very healthy in college although he did get a bit dinged up last year, which always seemed to happen (like Kareem) just as he was starting to shine.  

His snap count looks like an eye chart as he lined up at both outside backer spots, both DE spots, and both DT spots.  (although I am not entirely sure, I am guessing they ran some version of a 3-4).

My hope for Sample and Kareem is now that they were able to show a little of their talents, they get more snaps in rotation to keep the front line guys fresh and the team has a feeling for where to give them the most opportunities.

One thing I love about both guys:  relentless nature.  Like Hubbard, like Hendrickson, and like Reader and Hill....these guys don't take snaps off and I think they will be a much more significant part of 2022.  

They should have a leg up on the likes of Hubert, and the rookies, but I feel like with this coaching staff that if anyone really shines, they will play regardless of draft status.  
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2022, 01:06 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The run game is going to have add a whole new dimension to this offense. It’s like lawn mowing your acre with a regular toro and get a zero turn. Mixon is a game breaker. He’s going to have some long TD runs all the way to the house. They’ll play a man on Chase and Higgins with safety help and Mixon will be on them and past them before they know it. It’s going to help the passing game. The new OL guys can really run block. I mean top 5 run blocking units I expect. Think the Browns run game to go with Burrow and his receivers.

As one of the embarrassed few that supported the John Ross pick, I argued this point as well about dropping safeties.  Well, regardless of what WR or WRs have forced the issue, it should work now with better run blocking. 

It is exciting to think right off the start that the biggest improvement in the team compared to last year has to be the blocking, followed by the pass rush (Ossai and others), and then the depth on the secondary.  Yes, we still have a camp battle for LG, but I sure love the way the rest of the roster is shaping up. 
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2022, 01:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There's little doubt.

But to me I doubt this team is going to revert to 1975 3 yards in a cloud of dust, Mixon running for 1,800 yards and 15 TD's kinda game.

But we don't have to. We have Joe Burrow and a great set of receivers, that's our strength. 

What we need is to be able to pick up those 3rd and 2 and a 1/2's. We need to be able to run the the ball in the redzone inside the 10, with success. We need to be able to grind out the last 5 minutes of the game up by 12 when everybody including my grandmother knows a run is coming.

That will lead us to much more success. 

Short yardage, less predictable (2nd and long, here comes a run up the middle), and salting away a game with a two score lead late...all aspects of the run game should see massive improvements.  
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2022, 08:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: As one of the embarrassed few that supported the John Ross pick, I argued this point as well about dropping safeties.  Well, regardless of what WR or WRs have forced the issue, it should work now with better run blocking. 

It is exciting to think right off the start that the biggest improvement in the team compared to last year has to be the blocking, followed by the pass rush (Ossai and others), and then the depth on the secondary.  Yes, we still have a camp battle for LG, but I sure love the way the rest of the roster is shaping up. 

Several agonize on here about certain spots from a depth standpoint. They are right but all the teams have depth issues at certain spots. But they’ve shored up several spots. We were indeed lucky last year injury wise. But you have to feel better about this team depth wise. I just think this offense really clicks this year and the additions in the secondary really bolsters our options schematically on defense.

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2022, 08:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You are correct, sir (In my best Ed McMahon voice).  Sample rated a 90.4 in pass rush in his final year in college.  He had 48 pressures in 316 pass rush snaps with 5 sacks.  He came out at 280 lbs, but I believe he is above that now around 290.  

He stayed very healthy in college although he did get a bit dinged up last year, which always seemed to happen (like Kareem) just as he was starting to shine.  

His snap count looks like an eye chart as he lined up at both outside backer spots, both DE spots, and both DT spots.  (although I am not entirely sure, I am guessing they ran some version of a 3-4).

My hope for Sample and Kareem is now that they were able to show a little of their talents, they get more snaps in rotation to keep the front line guys fresh and the team has a feeling for where to give them the most opportunities.

One thing I love about both guys:  relentless nature.  Like Hubbard, like Hendrickson, and like Reader and Hill....these guys don't take snaps off and I think they will be a much more significant part of 2022.  

They should have a leg up on the likes of Hubert, and the rookies, but I feel like with this coaching staff that if anyone really shines, they will play regardless of draft status.  

Thanks for the numbers SHRacer, knew Cam had one of, if not the highest PFF rating in college as an End. Just couldn't get
home and get the Sacks. Hope he watches Hendrickson exclusively this season if he is going to play End who knows how to 
finish better than about anybody but TJ Twatt. If he plays 3-tech, study up Ogunjobi's tape who I think might be back too.

I also think Cam Sample and Kareem are ahead of guys like Hubert and now Gunter. Both have great hands and flash great 
things at times. They just have to stay healthy, same with my guy Ossai.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2022, 09:13 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Several agonize on here about certain spots from a depth standpoint. They are right but all the teams have depth issues at certain spots. But they’ve shored up several spots. We were indeed lucky last year injury wise. But you have to feel better about this team depth wise. I just think this offense really clicks this year and the additions in the secondary really bolsters our options schematically on defense.

Completely agree.  If I had to bet on how they spend the rest of their money (minus their average carryover) it would be to sign Larry Ogunjobi. 

And that will all depend on his health and what he would take for one year.  
Reply/Quote