Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What’s your take on jack del rio and Brian Callahan?
Rumors are swirling that del rio will be our next DC. Personally, I really like the idea as it fits the mold of the rams hiring someone with head coaching experience and actually winning a playoff game. Brian, is being considered for OC and there is also talk bill will join is son here to be the lines coach. Furthermore, what does this mean for press? Could he still come here to be the qb coach or does he have to be promoted to be able to leave? Any info would be much appreciated as I’m not sure if he has to be promoted to be considered as a possibility. I would really love to have those guys. The more great football minds the better as it will only help us big time. I would really appreciate your thoughts as well as what has to happen to get press here.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2019, 09:55 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: Rumors are swirling that del rio will be our next DC. Personally, I really like the idea as it fits the mold of the rams hiring someone with head coaching experience and actually winning a playoff game. Brian, is being considered for OC and there is also talk bill will join is son here to be the lines coach. Furthermore, what does this mean for press? Could he still come here to be the qb coach or does he have to be promoted to be able to leave? Any info would be much appreciated as I’m not sure if he has to be promoted to be considered as a possibility. I would really love to have those guys. The more great football minds the better as it will only help us big time. I would really appreciate your thoughts as well as what has to happen to get press here.

Our DC must be experienced. Give me somebody like JDR or Dom Capers. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2019, 10:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Our DC must be experienced. Give me somebody like JDR or Dom Capers. 

Agreed I do like the idea of del rio. I think he’s really a good coach. Compared to Austin he’s Lombardi. I also like the idea of the Callahan family. What about press? Could he come here and be the qb coach or does he have to be promoted in order to have a chance to leave? I would like to have him as well. I’m digging the idea of making it a family coaching staff and the guys have actually been successful at other stops
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2019, 09:55 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: Rumors are swirling that del rio will be our next DC. Personally, I really like the idea as it fits the mold of the rams hiring someone with head coaching experience and actually winning a playoff game. Brian, is being considered for OC and there is also talk bill will join is son here to be the lines coach. Furthermore, what does this mean for press? Could he still come here to be the qb coach or does he have to be promoted to be able to leave? Any info would be much appreciated as I’m not sure if he has to be promoted to be considered as a possibility. I would really love to have those guys. The more great football minds the better as it will only help us big time. I would really appreciate your thoughts as well as what has to happen to get press here.

Technically speaking, Head Coaching jobs are the only ones teams can't block assistants from taking.  The Eagles can block Press from taking any job here except HC.  Teams will often allow position coaches to take promotions to coordinator jobs, though.

Bill Callahan is a great OL coach and his HC experience will be valuable.  Brian Callahan is an unknown as an OC.  He does have a ring as a QB Coach for the Broncos under Gary Kubiak, and has worked with Peyton Manning, Matt Stafford, and Derek Carr.

I don't know if Zac necessarily wants to bring in Press, as that would be seen as obvious nepotism.  
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2019, 10:42 PM)Whatever Wrote: Technically speaking, Head Coaching jobs are the only ones teams can't block assistants from taking.  The Eagles can block Press from taking any job here except HC.  Teams will often allow position coaches to take promotions to coordinator jobs, though.

Bill Callahan is a great OL coach and his HC experience will be valuable.  Brian Callahan is an unknown as an OC.  He does have a ring as a QB Coach for the Broncos under Gary Kubiak, and has worked with Peyton Manning, Matt Stafford, and Derek Carr.

I don't know if Zac necessarily wants to bring in Press, as that would be seen as obvious nepotism.  

Do you see them blocking press from joining his brother in Cincinnati? He’s obviously done a phenomenal job with foles and wentz. It would be a low blow to block him from joining his brother., but if anyone would do it, it would be the eagles
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2019, 10:54 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: Do you see them blocking press from joining his brother in Cincinnati? He’s obviously done a phenomenal job with foles and wentz. It would be a low blow to block him from joining his brother., but if anyone would do it, it would be the eagles

I don't see them blocking him if it's for the OC gig, but I don't see the point of signing coaches to multiyear deals if you're just going to let them take the same job for another team.  Plus, Van Pelt wasn't one of the coaches that got let go, so we presumably aren't looking for a QB coach.
Reply/Quote
To me, it looks like Taylor will mimic McVay and coordinate the offense, while surrounding himself with experienced guys (former HC's) to help out.

I absolutely love Del Rio and Callahan. Not because they're "big names" but because they're very experienced guys with good resume's for the positions they're being hired for. John Fox's name has been thrown out, but I like Del Rio better as a DC. He has much more recent experience. Fox hasn't been a DC since 2001.

I think Callahan will be OC in name only. He might assist Taylor with the game plan, but I think his main focus will be straightening out this o-line and providing Taylor another experienced voice that he trusts and is familiar with.

EDIT: I was confused and thought we were hiring Bill Callahan as OC, but the gist of my post remains the same.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

If the eagles let press out of his contract he can come here but anything less than a promotion to HC can be blocked.  (same with bill Callahan)

Brian Callahan is the Raiders QB Coach.... for carr. Might have a connection to Del Rio..  (also if we get his dad as the OL Coach that would be interesting.)

Joe Lombardi should be in the mix for OC as well.

What LB and RB / TE coaches are out there?
Reply/Quote
I like Jack and hope he can help the Defense.
In his most effective DC job he was with the Broncos. He had very good corners and the line generated a lot of pressure. He did have some great players. Champ Baily, Talib, Von Miller. Hopefully he can get the D line to apply more pressure. I think Jackson is fine in man to man coverage and Kirk is average. Bates and Williams with both need to step up their games if he uses the same defensive style. He needs linebacker help to be anywhere near where they were in Denver.
The offense is easier to hope for better results
Oline needs to improve, but I think we will see a few guys show improvement and actually get a chance to play. (Merv showed favorites)
AJ, Boyd and Ross will be fine for the type of offense - we could probably use another speed guy
TE is not used a bunch in LA and that could work fine in Cincy, but Mixon and Gio should be much more involved. I could easily see them on field at same time, with one lined up as a receiver.
The big question is Andy - while he will be fine throwing slants and screens, he needs to be more effective with the deep ball.
Here is to hoping that they get things figured out by the start of 2019-2020 season.
Whodey!
Reply/Quote
I know many like JDR. I have read on Reddit and other forums by fans of prior teams that JDR was involved either as a HC or DC. The main criticism I read is that he can lose the locker room. Not sure I agree but I simply do not know. There are so many factors involved because the GM/CEO may want certain players on the field and the coach may not agree. JDR may have been the victim of a similar situation that Lewis was in with an intrusive owner/GM (think Henry; Pac-Man Jones).
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:34 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I know many like JDR.  I have read on Reddit and other forums by fans of prior teams that JDR was involved either as a HC or DC.  The main criticism I read is that he can lose the locker room.  Not sure I agree but I simply do not know.  There are so many factors involved because the GM/CEO may want certain players on the field and the coach may not agree.  JDR may have been the victim of a similar situation that Lewis was in with an intrusive owner/GM (think Henry; Pac-Man Jones).

He shouldn't have to hold the locker room together here. 
Reply/Quote
Does JDR run a 4-3 or 3-4 ( I know a good coach can do both, I was just wondering what he was use to.)
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 05:26 PM)mon4078 Wrote: Does JDR run a 4-3 or 3-4 ( I know a good coach can do both, I was just wondering what he was use to.)

4-3
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 11:04 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: If the eagles let press out of his contract he can come here but anything less than a promotion to HC can be blocked.  (same with bill Callahan)

Brian Callahan is the Raiders QB Coach.... for carr. Might have a connection to Del Rio..  (also if we get his dad as the OL Coach that would be interesting.)

Joe Lombardi should be in the mix for OC as well.

What LB and RB / TE coaches are out there?

I really like the hires so far. They will help Taylor big time especially if bill Callahan and del rio come I really like del rio he’s got a ton of experience and he’s actually won a playoff game. He will help a lot.

I would also like to know if this is Taylor behind the scenes saying he wants these guys or if it’s something the bengals are doing on their own? I figured Taylor must have a hand in it because I’m sure he wants to bring in his own guys
Reply/Quote
lol well according to his Wiki... he was already named our DC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Del_Rio
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 05:44 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: I really like the hires so far. They will help Taylor big time especially if bill Callahan and del rio come I really like del rio he’s got a ton of experience and he’s actually won a playoff game. He will help a lot.

I would also like to know if this is Taylor behind the scenes saying he wants these guys or if it’s something the bengals are doing on their own? I figured Taylor must have a hand in it because I’m sure he wants to bring in his own guys

now the bengals could always try and trade for the coaches they want but cant get otherwise.
Reply/Quote