Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What 2 will lead the Bengals in sacks this year?
(06-06-2021, 02:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The turnover on Defense is insane. Lou is my question and until he calls a good game that confuses QB's he will always be.

Lou has had more help than any DC I can remember the last few years and has failed miserably. Hopefully it is all about the 
injuries hitting the Defense so hard in the trenches, cause it has, but next man up is the truest mantra on what a good coach
is supposed to be all about. We sure hit the trenches hard this Offseason, especially on the DL.

With Hendrickson, Ogunjobi, Ossai, Cam, Shelvin, Hubert we have the players to really stop the run and get after the passer.

No excuse for Lou this go round.

TY for posting again your disdain for Lou and again holding no players accountable for our poor defense. We got it.  Tiger
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 10:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I was afraid everyone would be writing off Hubbard because he only had 2 sacks last year.  But his first two seasons he had 14.5 sacks in only 1350 snaps.  That is a very good ratio considering he was not just playing on passing downs.

They may not put up huge numbers, but Hubbard and Hendrickson are the clear choices.

I think game situations will dictate our sack totals. If we have big leads, we get a lot more sacks.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
H&H will combine for 20+ sacks in 2021

Reply/Quote
I.dont think its a slam dunk that Hubbard reaches
10 sacks this year. I think He will improve his sack total
From.last year which shouldn't be that difficult.
He only had 2.5 last year.
Let's not forget he's never had 10 sacks in a season
Ever. So all of a sudden we are supposed to think
He can go.from 2.5 sacks to 10.
Its not as easy as some want to.think
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 12:59 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I.dont think its a slam dunk that Hubbard reaches
10 sacks this year. I think He will improve his sack total
From.last year which shouldn't be that difficult.
He only had 2.5 last year.
Let's not forget he's never had 10 sacks in a season
Ever. So all of a sudden we are supposed to think
He can go.from 2.5  sacks to 10.
Its not as easy as some want to.think

I am as big fan of a Hubbard.  I think we need to give him a contract extension this year.  But I agree that it is far from automatic that he gets double digit sacks this season.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 01:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am as big fan of a Hubbard.  I think we need to give him a contract extension this year.  But I agree that it is far from automatic that he gets double digit sacks this season.

Id like to see Hubbard use that tomahawk chop more
With his radius and dislodge that ball more. 
In.his rookie year he showed exceptional athleticism vs
The Dolphins. I.think he had a pick 6 or a fumble recovery 
For a TD. 
I think with DE cupboard more filled this year I can see
Hubbard being used like a Swiss Army knife
Stand up..drop back..move inside. Etc
Reply/Quote
If the scheme is right, you should end up with not one main sack leader but 3 guys up at the top. Obviously Hendrickson and Hubbard are going to have their chances around the edge, but they are also going to get a lot of the double teams from the oline or oline back combo. This will leave the A gaps wide open for Mike LB blitzes (specifically if the back is helping outside on long passing downs.) You could see 3 guys with strong sack numbers this year. (this all assume the DB's can cover long enough to give them time.)
Reply/Quote
I agree with most: Hubbard and Hendrickson. I'm really high on Ossai as well. He makes a lot of big plays on tape.
Reply/Quote
Hendrickson and Ogunjobi. Hubbard is a 3-4 DE playing 4-3E, and doesn’t have the explosion to be a double digit sack guy. Serviceable player, but better against the run.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
I agree with the consensus that Hubbard and Hendrickson will lead the team in sacks. However, I feel like the big surprise on defense this year will be just how big of a step forward that Logan Wilson takes. Yep, Logan Wilson. With a healthy set of DTs in front of him, along with a year of the league under his belt, I feel like he will be the breakout player on defense.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 02:20 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I'm going to buy you a (cheap replica) Ossai jersey.  I think he is in almost all of your posts.   Hilarious

It's ok, I feel like Ja'Marr Chase is the same for me, since Drew Sample was taken by Wes.   Ninja

This should be another thread.  "Who are you associated with?".  Of course, mine changes.  I remember before his rookie season being so infatuated with one Margus Hunt.  Ugh.  Still, he has ended up having a fairly solid career.  I wouldn't mind having him back.  I guess that will depend on Tupou, and if he is in great shape when he shows up.  Otherwise, I like his height knocking down balls at DT on passing downs.  

Good thread idea, if you do it.

Mine would probably be Burrow, Higgins and Hubbard among our big names. My favorite underdogs heading into this season are Hendrickson, Ogunjobi and coach Pollack. There's been a lot of doubters with those 3, but I think all of them will have a big impact.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2021, 12:38 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good thread idea, if you do it.

Mine would probably be Burrow, Higgins and Hubbard among our big names. My favorite underdogs heading into this season are Hendrickson, Ogunjobi and coach Pollack. There's been a lot of doubters with those 3, but I think all of them will have a big impact.

If I had one on the defensive side of the ball, it would be Ogunjobi.  I think he is our most underrated signing.  He fell out of favor in Cleveland when injuries/free agent losses forced a move to NT and they were disappointed by his production.  Uh, ok.  I think I might be down on Logan Wilson if I asked him to play CB as well.  

I think next to a healthy Reader, with a quality rotation involving Daniels and Shelvin inside (and perhaps Tupou), he will thrive again and he is another one of those relentless effort guys that we have seemingly stacked the roster with this offseason.  
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 03:33 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: To be fair, he was handed a steaming turd.  But you are right:  this is his make or break season.  I really like the moves they made and it took a LOT to move on from a guy like WJIII that they drafted, but I think adding Awuzie AND Hilton is a much better overall idea.  To me, this year's defense is going to be predicated on two guys:  Reader and Waynes.  If they are 100% and produce all season long like they can, the rest of the pieces should fare well.  

Agree with that, Lou didn't get handed a top D or anything and he got Geno right when he was done pretty much.

The secondary actually hasn't been terrible under him, they have been pretty damn good, Bates was great last season under 
Lou and I liked how our rookie LB in Logan Wilson played. If Reader and Waynes can stay healthy we will see how good we 
can be, but we have to stay healthy for the most part all across the board. What happened last year was rough.

(06-07-2021, 11:08 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: offense gotta do better with TOP   to help the defenders stay fresh as well.

For sure. We need to be able to run the ball and eat clock. This is huge.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 12:33 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: TY for posting again your disdain for Lou and again holding no players accountable for our poor defense. We got it.  Tiger

What? I hold the players accountable too, just saying this is his D and so far he has been given more players that he wanted
in FA than any other DC I can ever remember with the Bengals. The injuries on the DL were terrible though last season, we
will see how we play when healthy this season, expecting to be much better.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2021, 06:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree with that, Lou didn't get handed a top D or anything and he got Geno right when he was done pretty much.

The secondary actually hasn't been terrible under him, they have been pretty damn good, Bates was great last season under 
Lou and I liked how our rookie LB in Logan Wilson played. If Reader and Waynes can stay healthy we will see how good we 
can be, but we have to stay healthy for the most part all across the board. What happened last year was rough.

LeShawn Sims and a parade of street guys at DT were pretty big holes in critical roles for much of the season on defense.  Both addressed in a big way.  
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 08:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: LeShawn Sims and a parade of street guys at DT were pretty big holes in critical roles for much of the season on defense.  Both addressed in a big way.  

True, it was pretty ugly injury wise last year. I like our depth this year much better at all the positions on D.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 09:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with the consensus that Hubbard and Hendrickson will lead the team in sacks. However, I feel like the big surprise on defense this year will be just how big of a step forward that Logan Wilson takes. Yep, Logan Wilson. With a healthy set of DTs in front of him, along with a year of the league under his belt, I feel like he will be the breakout player on defense.

Agreed... I thought he should've played more than he did last year as well. Maybe not a star, but I think we've got something with that guy.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 12:45 PM)jason Wrote: Agreed... I thought he should've played more than he did last year as well. Maybe not a star, but I think we've got something with that guy.

Perhaps the team sees it too?  Which would explain why they made no real effort to re-sign Bynes, or bring in any other Free Agent LBs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 12:45 PM)jason Wrote: Agreed... I thought he should've played more than he did last year as well. Maybe not a star, but I think we've got something with that guy.

(06-09-2021, 12:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Perhaps the team sees it too?  Which would explain why they made no real effort to re-sign Bynes, or bring in any other Free Agent LBs.

Could be, love Logan Wilson and thought he played even better as a rookie than I thought he would coming from Wyoming.

He just looked solid out there as a rookie and took great angles and led our LB's in interceptions in limited snaps.

He very well could be the breakout Defensive player for us.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 08:29 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Hendrickson and Ogunjobi. Hubbard is a 3-4 DE playing 4-3E, and doesn’t have the explosion to be a double digit sack guy. Serviceable player, but better against the run.

Those are my two picks, but Hubbard is absolutely NOT a 3-4 DE lol, not even close.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote