Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What 8-0 Teams Have Done (16 Game Schedule)
The Bengals have a golden opportunity to reach the 8-0 mark tonight against the Brownies. It got me to wondering how other 8-0 starts have fared in a 16 game season. Here's what I found...

Since the league moved to a 16 game schedule in '78, 15 teams have started the season 8-0.
Of those 15, only 2 ('o6 Colts, '13 Chiefs) finished with fewer than 13 wins.
9 of the 15 reached the Super Bowl and 2 others made it to their conference championship game.
6 of the 9 that made the SB...won it.
Going 8-0 has meant a SB appearance 60% of the time, and a SB Title 40% of the time.

That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with this season, or this team...and they still have to go out and win the game tonight to become 8-0. However, if they win tonight...it is fun to look at previous history and imagine how this season could play out.

Who Dey!!!
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 04:16 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The Bengals have a golden opportunity to reach the 8-0 mark tonight against the Brownies. It got me to wondering how other 8-0 starts have fared in a 16 game season. Here's what I found...

Since the league moved to a 16 game schedule in '78, 15 teams have started the season 8-0.
Of those 15, only 2 ('o6 Colts, '13 Chiefs) finished with fewer than 13 wins.
9 of the 15 reached the Super Bowl and 2 others made it to their conference championship game.
6 of the 9 that made the SB...won it.
Going 8-0 has meant a SB appearance 60% of the time, and a SB Title 40% of the time.

That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with this season, or this team...and they still have to go out and win the game tonight to become 8-0. However, if they win tonight...it is fun to look at previous history and imagine how this season could play out.

Who Dey!!!
It would be awesome to go 8-0, and the Bengals I believe can even get to 9-0 and depending on how they play at Arizona, can likely be 13-3 or 14-2.  WTS, I'm still leery of what games against NE and/or Denver would be like.  IMO, I think they need some luck to go their way in order to beat one or both of those teams.  NE's offense looks like it matches up well with the Bengals D and their D might just do enough to get them a win in a shootout.  The Broncos D looks scary with great players on every level, and may ask their offense to only score 13-16 to possibly beat the Bengals.  I think the Bengals have a much better shot of beating the Broncos than the Patriots as things currently stand, but it depends heavily on where the game is.  

But there are 9 more weeks to go, so anything could happen.  Keep the faith!  Wink Tiger
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Its time to see the stripes in the superbowl again
Reply/Quote
Wow I would have thought a lot more than 15 teams had started 8-0since '78.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 04:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Wow I would have thought a lot more than 15 teams had started 8-0since '78.

Crazy thing is, there could very easily be four 8-0 teams after this weekend.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 04:31 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Its time to see the stripes in the superbowl again

I second the motion for another Striper-bowl !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 04:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Wow I would have thought a lot more than 15 teams had started 8-0since '78.

I was thinking the same, but here's the list...

'84 Dolphins
'85 Bears
'90 Giants
'90 49ers
'91 Redskins
'98 Broncos
'03 Chiefs
'06 Colts
'07 Patriots
'08 Titans
'09 Saints
'09 Colts 
'11 Packers
'12 Falcons
'13 Chiefs
Reply/Quote
and 1 of the 15 became undefeated Superbowl Champions.

We need to change that stat to 2 in 16 !

Yet for now still sweating the 8th one.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Of course those statistics are crap when you have 3 teams in the same conference that can go 8-0 this weekend. At least 33% of this years AFC potential 8-0 teams will fail to make the Conference championship and at least 66% of them will fail to make the Super Bowl

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I'll tell you what though, if the Bengals get to the Super Bowl, they probably would have played the toughest games they will all season. I don't seem them having any problems with whoever the NFC champion is.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 04:52 PM)pally Wrote: Of course those statistics are crap when you have 3 teams in the same conference that can go 8-0 this weekend. At least 33% of this years AFC potential 8-0 teams will fail to make the Conference championship and at least 66% of them will fail to make the Super Bowl

thats if they all go 8-0
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 04:51 PM)Go Cards Wrote: and 1 of the 15 became undefeated Superbowl Champions.

We need to change that stat to 2 in 16 !

Yet for now still sweating the 8th one.

I don't think so? That was the 70s Miami team who played a 14 game regular season.

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 05:52 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I don't think so? That was the 70s Miami team who played a 14 game regular season.

poor guys been waiting since like week 4 of last year to pop this years bottle
Reply/Quote

Same here.

How many teams will do it this year alone.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 06:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Same here.

How many teams will do it this year alone.

its a very rare year. last time i remember 2 teams being 8-0 was when the colts and saints both made it to like 13-0 before one of them lost a game. and they both played in the superbowl

Did the 9-0 Cheifs that we beat with chad johnsons gaurentee make and post season noise?
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 06:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: its a very rare year.  last time i remember 2 teams being 8-0 was when the colts and saints both made it to like 13-0 before one of them lost a game.  and they both played in the superbowl

Did the 9-0 Cheifs that we beat with chad johnsons gaurentee make and post season noise?

They went 4-3 after that 9-0 start, and one 'n done in the playoffs...losing to the Colts.
Reply/Quote
Chiefs and Falcons really helped bring down those averages. But here's to hoping for a Super Bowl win, which is very possible.

Few tough teams, obviously the toughest will be the Patriots. They may not have the most talented team, but they're playing the best.

Today will be huge for the team. Get the primetime monkey off their back, that sour taste from last year spat out, and just run over the Browns.
Reply/Quote
Here's the thing with stats. This year, 3 teams in the AFC could be 8-0 and obviously at least one of those won't even get to the conference title game.
Reply/Quote
Stranger yet is a 1-6 Titans are only 2 games behind the Colts and could, if their moon was in Pluto go to the playoffs and win the whole show .. I don't see it happening, but there is a remote possibility. I'm thinking of wasting $10 on the outside chance because I'm betting that $10 could potentially turn into a nice stack of cash.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 08:30 PM)grampahol Wrote: Stranger yet is a 1-6 Titans are only 2 games behind the Colts and could,  if their moon was in Pluto go to the playoffs and win the whole show ..   I don't see it happening, but there is a remote possibility.

Well, the Seahawks and Panthers made it to the playoffs with losing records. Both won their first game. The Seahawks even knocked out the defending Super Bowl champion Saints. So it's possible.
Reply/Quote