Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What About a “Bridge” Quarterback in 2020?
Teddy!!!! Common lets get Bridgewater
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 10:39 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I added Cam Newton.  Good catch!

Tiger  I see what you did there... Tongue  
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 10:31 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, I know.  Everyone, especially Mike Brown, is jonesin’ for a new quarterback in Cincinnati and since the Bengals have a mortal lock on the first pick in the draft, that’s the way the president/owner/general manager wants to go.  But, before selecting just any Tom, Dick, or Tua we need to stop and think.  Is that the best strategy?  Aren’t there more pressing needs in Cincinnati than drafting another “shiny object” quarterback?

If it was up to me I would snag Chase Young first then load up on the best linebackers and offensive linemen in the country...

...but I haven’t forgotten the Bengals need a quarterback.  So, I have an alternative suggestion to the draft to find one: Free agency.  2020 is filled with a plethora of free agent quarterbacks with proven NFL starting experience.  These men would be more of a sure thing than an unproven rookie even if it’s only for a year.  

Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Teddy Bridgewater, Marcus Mariota, Nick Foles, Jameis Winston, Philip Rivers, Cam Newton, and Eli Manning are all free agents — and some of them would love a chance to start again.  I think calling their agents might be worth it.

Though I am not a fan of his personality at all, I wonder what a humbled Cam Newton could do here with a healthy Green, Ross, and Boyd?  

If he isn't promised the starters job in Carolina, and I think Allen going 23/36 for 256 with 3 TDs and 0 INTs yesterday against the Saints in their house tells you quite a bit about that guy...maybe there is an opportunity.  The Bengals would certainly have the money.
Reply/Quote
After watching the 49ers bytch-slap the Packers yesterday, I keep coming back to what they have done in recent drafts with their early picks:

In descending order:

DE
OT
DE
DE, G (they had two)

And they got there QB in FA. Why shouldn't the Bengals go with a proven starter like Newton who might need a change of scenery and draft Young with #1 overall? I think that has a much higher success potential than sticking with our lousy defense and putting a young QB without crazy mobility behind that line.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 10:31 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, I know.  Everyone, especially Mike Brown, is jonesin’ for a new quarterback in Cincinnati and since the Bengals have a mortal lock on the first pick in the draft, that’s the way the president/owner/general manager wants to go.  But, before selecting just any Tom, Dick, or Tua we need to stop and think.  Is that the best strategy?  Aren’t there more pressing needs in Cincinnati than drafting another “shiny object” quarterback?

If it was up to me I would snag Chase Young first then load up on the best linebackers and offensive linemen in the country...

...but I haven’t forgotten the Bengals need a quarterback.  So, I have an alternative suggestion to the draft to find one: Free agency.  2020 is filled with a plethora of free agent quarterbacks with proven NFL starting experience.  These men would be more of a sure thing than an unproven rookie even if it’s only for a year.  

Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Teddy Bridgewater, Marcus Mariota, Nick Foles, Jameis Winston, Philip Rivers, Cam Newton, and Eli Manning are all free agents — and some of them would love a chance to start again.  I think calling their agents might be worth it.

Bridge to what?  The Bengals are not going to pay a QB in free agency.  Zero chance. 

They will take a guy they can control at the league established rate for 5 years.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 11:33 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Why would we continue this decade of no franchise QB? When will we be at the top of the draft again with an elite QB available?

This
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 09:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: After watching the 49ers bytch-slap the Packers yesterday, I keep coming back to what they have done in recent drafts with their early picks:

In descending order:

DE
OT
DE
DE, G (they had two)

And they got there QB in FA. Why shouldn't the Bengals go with a proven starter like Newton who might need a change of scenery and draft Young with #1 overall? I think that has a much higher success potential than sticking with our lousy defense and putting a young QB without crazy mobility behind that line.

This is brilliant. Thank you. Unfortunately this will fall on deaf ears.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 09:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: After watching the 49ers bytch-slap the Packers yesterday, I keep coming back to what they have done in recent drafts with their early picks:

In descending order:  

DE
OT
DE
DE, G (they had two)

And they got there QB in FA.  Why shouldn't the Bengals go with a proven starter like Newton who might need a change of scenery and draft Young with #1 overall?  I think that has a much higher success potential than sticking with our lousy defense and putting a young QB without crazy mobility behind that line.

That might be like 2009, build the defense, rely on the run, and hope your QB (Cam in this case) can bounce back from year-long physical issues.  Still, I doubt we do this because if the plan was to build around a vet ZT wouldn't have benched Dalton.

Moving on from a healthy Dalton to build around a banged-up Newton could be a risky prospect, particularly if Newton isn't big on signing a prove it deal for a HC who might just bench him in order to see what we have in Finley, again.
Reply/Quote

Worth noting that the Tannehill-led Titans are 4-1 right now. Same team was 2-4 with Mariota at QB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Tom Brady? Did you just say Tom Brady? Im Tom and thinking, I have 2 years left where do I want to spend it? Oh I know in Cincinnati...that way I will only have a few games left after the O-Line lets the defense coming crashing in on my 40+ year old body. AND I get to work with Mike Brown too?

SIGN ME UP!   LOL
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 10:36 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Don't forget Newton is most likely gone unless something has changed ? I'm all for a bridge QB. Trade Dalton and couple others and mass all the draft picks you can get, go Chase Young and the best LBer, Olinemen available.

We might  2nd round pick fo AJ and a 3rd for Dalton and Geno. That's about it. 
Reply/Quote

In descending order:  

DE
OT
DE
DE, G (they had two)

And they got there QB in FA.  Why shouldn't the Bengals go with a proven starter like Newton who might need a change of scenery and draft Young with #1 overall?  I think that has a much higher success potential than sticking with our lousy defense and putting a young QB without crazy mobility behind that line.

They drafted all that and weren't successful until they went after their QB.

Texans were in the same boat 3 first round pass rushers and weren't successful until they went after their QB.

Franchise QBs are the hardest to find position in football. If you have a chance to get one you do it no matter what...Quarterback I'd thr most important position on the field.

Joe Burrow has the makings of one doing unprecedented things by a QB in the toughest conference in College Football. I can't wait to see him against Georgia in a couple weeks and then against Clemson or Ohio State (high possibility of Utah's top 3 defense too). If he can keep his team who aren't nearly as good as Clemson or OSU competitive it will make the decision alot easier.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
What's missing in this franchise?

The PB ability to see, draft, and develop talent under the radar!

(Kenny Anderson and Boomer Esaison teamed with Forest Gregg and San Wyche just to mention a few)

Look at the franchise where the clone of PB resides .. the Patriots!

After all, PB was BB's mentor!
Reply/Quote
I like the idea of a bridge QB.......But I still say you have to take Burrow.

I would rather not be in a position where we pick Burrow and then have to rush him onto the field because no one can stomach any more of Finley, so we need a vet, doesn't have to be any good, just a guy with experience to come in and get the crap beaten out of him until the line is good enough for us to put our prized draft pick behind. This of course assumes that Mikey and the stooge crew recognize how putrid the O-line is and actually take proper measures to improve it (a stretch, I know).
Reply/Quote

In descending order:  

DE
OT
DE
DE, G (they had two)

Newton is hurt A LOT.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 01:12 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed. If you're in this position, you take the damn QB.

Problem is, will Mike Brown do the other things he needs to do to make that QB successful? Doubtful.

That's why our situation feels so hopeless.

So I'd sign Conklin and Scherff...but then I was like: Would those guys be willing to come here and play for Turner?
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 11:09 AM)Synric Wrote: Texans were in the same boat 3 first round pass rushers and weren't successful until they went after their QB.

Texans won't win anything even with the best young QB in the league until they get more talent around him.

Watson's winning percentage through 3 seasons (.630) is almost exactly the same as Daltons (.625).
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 10:28 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Bridge to what?  The Bengals are not going to pay a QB in free agency.  Zero chance. 

They will take a guy they can control at the league established rate for 5 years.

A bridge to the next HC?

(11-25-2019, 12:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So I'd sign Conklin and Scherff...but then I was like: Would those guys be willing to come here and play for Turner?

You think they'd change their mind and come running to Cincy if it was a different O-line coach?
Reply/Quote
If we take Burrow then we also need to plan on redshirting him year one so that the huge issues on OL can be addressed before he goes out there.
Reply/Quote

In descending order:

DE
OT
DE
DE, G (they had two)

The 49ers weren't in the same position we are. The closest they came to the #1 overall pick (before getting Jimmy G) was 2017, when they picked 3rd overall. The consensus top QB prospect was Mitch Trubisky, and he was off the board when the 49ers took Solomon Thomas. That's probably why the 49ers traded for Jimmy later that year. I'm guessing that if Trubisky were available to them, he'd be a 49er.

(11-25-2019, 12:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So I'd sign Conklin and Scherff...but then I was like: Would those guys be willing to come here and play for Turner?

I don't think coach is a big deal. I think money is the problem. Our FO isn't willing to overpay at all, and sometimes you need to overpay a bit to get a good free agent's attention. They're certainly not coming here for the prestige of being a Bengal.

(11-25-2019, 02:44 PM)Joelist Wrote: If we take Burrow then we also need to plan on redshirting him year one so that the huge issues on OL can be addressed before he goes out there.

The o-line can be fixed in one off-season if we're serious about it. Jonah will be back. Throw in a couple of good signings and we'd be golden.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote