Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Are This Team's Weaknesses?
(05-07-2021, 08:45 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They inspire no confidence on this board, or in "fans" in general. To a person (outside of Dunlap) every player I've heard interviewed has said they believe in what the coaches are doing and trying to build. 

every player still employeed here...  Have you listened to any of the Other ones that got out?
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 08:47 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: every player still employeed here...  Have you listened to any of the Other ones that got out?

Dunlap and WJIII. Both disgruntled. Dunlap because he got kicked out of a park in Florida and WJIII because he cannot play Zone coverage
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 08:45 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They inspire no confidence on this board, or in "fans" in general. To a person (outside of Dunlap) every player I've heard interviewed has said they believe in what the coaches are doing and trying to build. 

I mean Sled it's hard to inspire confidence in the fan base when you're record at 6-25-1 speaks for itself.  What's the old saying "you are what your record says you are" and 6-25-1 say they aren't a good coaching staff.  Can that change sure but the optics right now show he's basically the equivalent of Dave Shula, actually his record says he's a worse coach than Dave Shula. 
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 08:47 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: every player still employeed here...  Have you listened to any of the Other ones that got out?

I agree Xeno.  

However, on this topic i think the 3 biggest weakness on this team are 1. Coaching 2. OL 3. Depth

If we have any injuries at OL and DL, like we know we'll have, the depth just isnt there.  I feel the same way across pretty much the hole team.  Looking at the DL, or LB's or hell even if a WR goes down your back having 2 WR.  TE is average.  

This teams depth, coaching, and still lack of talent is going to hurt it this season with it's schedule. 
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 11:31 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think we are still short a receiver, TE, and the corner position is a big unknown. Still need a long term option at 3t.

Agree with being short a receiver.  I don't like the X being the only deep threat in the WR room.  A 5th or 6th WR who can stretch the field should not be hard to find.

It almost seems like they are ignoring having a viable 3T besides LO.  
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 09:23 AM)TJ528 Wrote: I agree Xeno.  

However, on this topic i think the 3 biggest weakness on this team are 1. Coaching 2. OL 3. Depth

If we have any injuries at OL and DL, like we know we'll have, the depth just isnt there.  I feel the same way across pretty much the hole team.  Looking at the DL, or LB's or hell even if a WR goes down your back having 2 WR.  TE is average.  

This teams depth, coaching, and still lack of talent is going to hurt it this season with it's schedule. 

Yep we got what could/should be better starters in place but i agree Depth still is an issue.  

Especially with an extra game on the schedule
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 08:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: DJ Reader is not an elite talent? 

I'd say he's the rung below.
Reply/Quote
Me reading through this thread, specifically about “Williams” being our only elite defensive player, and how Reader was elite in Tampa...

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5518368]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 10:00 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Me reading through this thread, specifically about “Williams” being our only elite defensive player, and how Reader was elite in Tampa...

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5518368]

Nicomo, if you don't mind tell me at what point in the past 12 months he's been elite for the Cincinnati Bengals?  Just asking for a friend. 
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 10:03 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Nicomo, if you don't mind tell me at what point in the past 12 months he's been elite for the Cincinnati Bengals?  Just asking for a friend. 

DJ Reader never played in Tampa. That was the confusing part.

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 10:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: DJ Reader never played in Tampa. That was the confusing part.

lol okay I'm having brain cramps this morning.  I dont know wtf i said Tampa.  Sorry.  It's been a long ass week.  I meant Houston but you can definitely judge me for putting the incorrect team lol..I just need to take the rest of the day off 
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 11:23 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: We're still not getting a ton of respect around the league, in the media, or even really on this board, so my question is: what are this team's weaknesses?  What's keeping us from being mentioned as contenders or even sleepers?

I like our team, and I realize that the division's tough, but is it just that and uncertainty?

The only major weaknesses that I see on our team are the offensive line (but they should be majorly improved), inside linebacker, and maybe defensive line but that's just because they're young and I think keeping them in a rotation could make for a solid squad.

Maybe throw in Taylor as a weakness.  

What do you see as this team's weaknesses?

IOL, TE, Defensive line, uncertain at LB, and no true #1CB other than that we're good.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 11:23 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: We're still not getting a ton of respect around the league, in the media, or even really on this board, so my question is: what are this team's weaknesses?  What's keeping us from being mentioned as contenders or even sleepers?

I like our team, and I realize that the division's tough, but is it just that and uncertainty?

The only major weaknesses that I see on our team are the offensive line (but they should be majorly improved), inside linebacker, and maybe defensive line but that's just because they're young and I think keeping them in a rotation could make for a solid squad.

TE
OL
IDL pass rush
WR4-6
LB if no one from the group takes a next step this year
CB1 if Waynes doesn't look good
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 08:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: DJ Reader is not an elite talent? 

No he is not an elite talent. He is a good player but elite is a stretch. Plus he plays a position at Nose Tackle that isn't as important as it once was.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 09:23 AM)TJ528 Wrote: I agree Xeno.  

If we have any injuries at OL and DL, like we know we'll have, the depth just isnt there.  I feel the same way across pretty much the hole team.  Looking at the DL, or LB's or hell even if a WR goes down your back having 2 WR.  TE is average.  . 

I disagree with no depth on the D- line. Reader, Ogunjobi, Hendrickson, Hubbard will be the starters. Behind them you have Tupou who is back from opting out last year who started to play well in 2019. Mike Daniels is back for another year. And then you have the draft choices Ossai and the big ass DL from LSU. It's a MUCH different D-line room than last year
Reply/Quote

The major weakness with the O line is uncertainty, I believe, at this point. Jonah Williams is an outstanding young LT, when he is healthy, and unfortunately to this point staying on the field has been his major flaw.

All indications are that Jackson Carman should be a major upgrade at OG yet the uncertainty is that he has not played OG in a live game situation, while he has displayed above average athleticism and football IQ to go along with natural strength.

Hopkins is certainly a top half of the league center yet the uncertainty is will he be ready to go day 1 from his injury?

I believe uncertainty carries over to our LB group. I think Wilson, Pratt, Davis-Gaither, and especially Bailey are a young and exciting group that bring a huge amount of natural ability and talent but that is unproven at the NFL level.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 10:22 AM)J24 Wrote: No he is not an elite talent. He is a good player but elite is a stretch. Plus he plays a position at Nose Tackle that isn't as important as it once was.

What? NT is not important? Can we please refer back to this at the end of the season should Reader stay healthy all year? With a healthy Reader for a full season you do not feel that there will be a difference in yards given up in the running game? 
Reply/Quote

Except Jessie bates admitted there was communication problems with the staff in 2019.

And last year when Darius Phillips was mysteriously dropped on the depth chart both he and Shawn Williams made comments about the coaches "wasting talent".

Before last season the players said good things about the coaches and the coaches said good things about the players.  But all that shit ended up being pretty meaningless.  The good comments the players are making about the coaches are just like the good comments our coaches were making about our O-line before last season.  They are meaningless.  Nothing but hype.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 09:23 AM)TJ528 Wrote: i think the 3 biggest weakness on this team are 1. Coaching 2. OL 3. Depth

This.

OL is a big concern not only because of lack of talent, but also having two starters coming back from season ending injuries.  Trey was just an average center to begin with and Jonah has only looked average and missed 22 of 32 games so far with injury.

Depth is a problem everywhere.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 10:40 AM)OSUfan Wrote: What? NT is not important? Can we please refer back to this at the end of the season should Reader stay healthy all year? With a healthy Reader for a full season you do not feel that there will be a difference in yards given up in the running game? 

Stopping the run is probably more important in the AFC North compared to other divisions, but the league as a whole is much more of a passing league.
Rushing the passer is more valuable nowadays than stuffing the run.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote