Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Does Bengals / Browns Game Mean To You ?
I ask knowing most of you are much younger. To many of you the big game is Pittsburgh.

Lets go back though to Paul Brown starting The Cleveland Browns and why he named them the Browns. His Super Bowl Championships and Yes, in the 1950's the NFL Championship was the Super Bowl, just as since 1970 season the Super Bowl has been the NFL Championship. You look at Browns winning Championship from Rams who had just moved from Cleveland to Los Angeles. Then the big games with also tough Detroit in the 1950's. Paul Brown had a Super Bowl Dynasty in the 1950's in Cleveland.

Then Paul Brown was fired by a newcomer named Art Modell. Paul Brown thought it was his team and couldn't believe someone had the power to fire him. To say he was shocked is an under statement.

On the sidelines of a 1960's Packers game, Paul Brown was giving advise to Vince Lombardi, and Lombardi told him he needed to get his own team and get back into coaching. The AFL was open to some more teams. Paul Brown decided to start another team in OHIO, in CINCINNATI. In calling them Bengals, not Browns, he wore the same CB cap he always wore in practice. It was not by chance that in 1968 they had the same uniforms of his old team, and same Initials CB.

Then after 2 AFL Years, in 1970 the AFL joined the NFL. It happened in a way that put NFL Championship Games Cleveland in same division with AFL last place expansion Cincinnati. Ohio Browns fans assumed their Browns would destroy these AFL teams, especially Cincinnati. For Paul Brown it was a chance to beat Art Modell who had stole his team from him, and the hatred was intense. So in 1970, in Cincinnati, The Bengals Players went out and beat the mighty Browns of Leroy Kelly, and after the Win carried Paul Brown on their shoulders from the sideline to the locker room. The Players knew what THAT WIN meant to Paul Brown.

So the big game was Paul Browns Bengals against his old team Cleveland. Then to add to it, Forrest Gregg had been NFL Coach of The Year in Cleveland only to be also fired by Art Modell. It only made sense that he would join Paul Brown in the fight against their old teams Cleveland.

Now none of this may mean anything today in 2020 as Cleveland comes to Cincinnati, but there was a time Paul Brown and his players would have hit the field as if this was the Super Bowl or Ohio State vs Michigan. There was a time THIS would have been The Biggest Game Of The Year. It is still the Browns coming to Paul Brown Stadium, Ohio vs Ohio, CB vs CB which also stands for Coach Brown, CB

You would think Mike Brown, Katey Brown Blackburn, Paul Brown Jr and the rest still want to WIN when Browns come to Paul Brown Stadium. Firing up the old Sam Wyche line, " You don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati ". I think just as coaches at Ohio State or Michigan, Zac Taylor is expected to win some of these Cleveland games, or else. I do think The Brown Family expects Zac to win some of these.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Those ships sailed long ago.

Idk if it’s because a lot of these games are underwhelming and not as competitive, or if it’s beceause I don’t care if a team that historically sucks got one of the very few wins their fans can enjoy. But I really Couldn’t care less about the rivalry.

The bengals are what happens when one man with a huge ego gets slighted by another man with a big ego. I don’t get worked up over a rivalry that stemmed from a bitter feud between men with egos, IDk.
Reply/Quote
A game we have had a chance of winning lol
Reply/Quote
The series always determines the bottom of the division. If you are swept in the 2 games, you WILL come in last in the division.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
As soon as I saw the thread title, I thought of the memory of Paul Brown. Ashamed for him.
Reply/Quote
Living in the Cleveland area its always meaningful to me
I recall.a time when the Browns were a guaranteed
2 wins a year for the Bengals.
Sitting the Dawg Pound watching guys like Kevin Walter
Get in the end zone in a blow out. No better feeling.
Looking at the Browns atop the Bengals in.The North
Does not give me hope
Reply/Quote
I actually root for the Browns when they aren't playing the Bengals.  I mean, they play pitt and baltiwhore twice, so...

But I despise them when they play the Bengals.  Baker Mayfield's douchey sideline glares to Hue Jackson are exactly the kind of things that make it more difficult to root for them.  Ditto OBJ and his antics.  

The history of the rivalry has taken such a beating because the Browns have been pathetic for so long.  Now, the Bengals are pathetic.  I hope both teams continue to ascend and send piggy and the boys to the basement, but it sure as hell isn't happening this year.  

I love the story and how the Bengals were created.   Say what you will about this franchise, but they were two TDs away from being the team of the 80s.  The 90s were an exercise in poor drafts and being hamstrung by them before the rookie wage scale.  Jeff Blake was a brief bright spot.  The Marvin Era had ups and downs but I never felt like they would win it all.  Enter Burrow.  Ohio kid with a great work ethic and all the tools.  I think he will find a way and win a Super Bowl.  He just needs a year to get the team to rally around him.  Too bad the poor start and injuries.  I believed it could have been this year.

I hope this rivalry becomes stronger and more contested for years to come.  You don't get better beating up on doormats.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Living in Cleveland surrounded by these fools, it means a lot, regardless of our current standing. The Dawg pound is no place for a Bengals fan to be. Have had my fair share of people being kicked out around me and because of me lol.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 11:59 AM)kevin Wrote: I ask knowing most of you are much younger.  To many of you the big game is Pittsburgh.  

Lets go back though to Paul Brown starting The Cleveland Browns and why he named them the Browns.  His Super Bowl Championships and Yes, in the 1950's the NFL Championship was the Super Bowl, just as since 1970 season the Super Bowl has been the NFL Championship.  You look at Browns winning Championship from Rams who had just moved from Cleveland to Los Angeles.  Then the big games with also tough Detroit in the 1950's.  Paul Brown had a Super Bowl Dynasty in the 1950's in Cleveland.

Then Paul Brown was fired by a newcomer named Art Modell.  Paul Brown thought it was his team and couldn't believe someone had the power to fire him.  To say he was shocked is an under statement.

On the sidelines of a 1960's Packers game, Paul Brown was giving advise to Vince Lombardi, and Lombardi told him he needed to get his own team and get back into coaching.  The AFL was open to some more teams.  Paul Brown decided to start another team in OHIO,  in CINCINNATI.  In calling them Bengals, not Browns, he wore the same CB cap he always wore in practice.  It was not by chance that in 1968 they had the same uniforms of his old team, and same Initials CB.

Then after 2 AFL Years, in 1970 the AFL joined the NFL.  It happened in a way that put NFL Championship Games Cleveland in same division with AFL last place expansion Cincinnati.  Ohio Browns fans assumed their Browns would destroy these AFL teams, especially Cincinnati.  For Paul Brown it was a chance to beat Art Modell who had stole his team from him, and the hatred was intense.  So in 1970, in Cincinnati, The Bengals Players went out and beat the mighty Browns of Leroy Kelly, and after the Win carried Paul Brown on their shoulders from the sideline to the locker room.  The Players knew what THAT WIN meant to Paul Brown.

So the big game was Paul Browns Bengals against his old team Cleveland.  Then to add to it, Forrest Gregg had been NFL Coach of The Year in Cleveland only to be also fired by Art Modell.  It only made sense that he would join Paul Brown in the fight against their old teams Cleveland.

Now none of this may mean anything today in 2020 as Cleveland comes to Cincinnati, but there was a time Paul Brown and his players would have hit the field as if this was the Super Bowl or Ohio State vs Michigan.  There was a time THIS would have been The Biggest Game Of The Year.  It is still the Browns coming to Paul Brown Stadium, Ohio vs Ohio, CB vs CB which also stands for Coach Brown, CB

You would think Mike Brown, Katey Brown Blackburn, Paul Brown Jr and the rest still want to WIN when Browns come to Paul Brown Stadium. Firing up the old Sam Wyche line, "  You don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati ".    I think just as coaches at Ohio State or Michigan, Zac Taylor is expected to win some of these Cleveland games, or else.
Thank you for the history lesson....I joined the Bengals Bandwagon in mid 70s as a little 9 yr old kid living in Los Angeles when I watched them beat the mighty Steelers in the snow.  What this game means to me is simple. We lose and ZT is officially on the clock which is what we need to happen. A legit coach like Zimmer needs to be brought in to fix this mess much like Marvin did. 
Reply/Quote