Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Does Success Look Like in 2020?
The Bengals have been unusually active in free agency, the draft will be upon us in a month, and Zac Taylor has had one season, albeit a disappointing one, under his belt.

What does a successful 2020 season look like to you? Continue the rebuild? A winning record? A playoff appearance?

For me, an 8-8 season would define success.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I would define it less in a number, and more in a temperament that I see displayed. Is the team growing, bonding, getting stronger? Are they fighting to the death to the very end of every game? Are they remedying past flaws and showing successes in their place?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 08:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would define it less in a number, and more in a temperament that I see displayed.  Is the team growing, bonding, getting stronger?  Are they fighting to the death to the very end of every game?  Are they remedying past flaws and showing successes in their place?

This.  Look and play like a real NFL team.      
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 08:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would define it less in a number, and more in a temperament that I see displayed.  Is the team growing, bonding, getting stronger?  Are they fighting to the death to the very end of every game?  Are they remedying past flaws and showing successes in their place?

Also, would like to see better coaching on both sides of the ball. We are good under Simmons on ST's...

Need to see the other two phases become competent.

Burrow sure will help on Offense and Reader sure will help on Defense.
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see a solid season out of Burrow as a Bengal. I want us fans thinking, "We drafted the right guy." I want him to develop into a franchise QB.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 08:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would define it less in a number, and more in a temperament that I see displayed.  Is the team growing, bonding, getting stronger?  Are they fighting to the death to the very end of every game?  Are they remedying past flaws and showing successes in their place?

Very much so !

It''s not so much X number of wins although some winning goes along with it. It's more in the eye test for lack of a better way to put it. How many games over the past few seasons have we looked like the keystone kops out there ? Looked way over matched for the bulk of a game ? Forced our will on anybody that's any good ?

Like you say, I'm more concerned with seeing a team that's gelling and showing improvement. Staying in games, sustaining drives, getting off the field on 3rd and long more often. The list just goes on and on.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 08:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Also, would like to see better coaching on both sides of the ball. We are good under Simmons on ST's...

Need to see the other two phases become competent.

Burrow sure will help on Offense and Reader sure will help on Defense.

The way I see it, the coaching will grow just the same as the team.  All of the players already know how to play football, just like all of the coaches developed their craft under a better coach that they worked under.  Zac might make a few adjustments as he continues to refine his coaching style, just as he might elect to keep or replace those that he's surrounded himself with.

Either way, it seems like the team believes in Taylor, as this is the biggest free agency action that we've seen in quite some time.  If they believe, then I believe, and I'm anxious to see how Zac's vision of a team plays out.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 07:45 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Bengals have been unusually active in free agency, the draft will be upon us in a month, and Zac Taylor has had one season, albeit a disappointing one, under his belt.

What does a successful 2020 season look like to you?  Continue the rebuild?  A winning record?  A playoff appearance?  

7-9 would be successful after going 2-14 last year IMO.
Then 9-7 in 2021, 11 wins in 2022, and 13 wins in 2023. The 11 and 13 would either be in the regular season or lower in regular season but include playoff wins.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Hard to define. I want to see some glimpses at least from Burrow. I want to see growth. I want to see players start believing in themselves and the team. I want to see leadership from Burrow as well--and big plays.

I could definitely see a rough start with Burrow not getting much time, and the offensive line struggling. I'm hoping to see improvement along the line. Improvement from the defense. I'm hoping they draft some promising linebackers that grow as the season goes on.

A successful season leaves me feeling like we have a chance at the playoffs in 2021. A highly successful season puts in the playoffs this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 08:55 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Very much so !

It''s not so much X number of wins although some winning goes along with it. It's more in the eye test for lack of a better way to put it. How many games over the past few seasons have we looked like the keystone kops out there ? Looked way over matched for the bulk of a game ? Forced our will on anybody that's any good ?

Like you say, I'm more concerned with seeing a team that's gelling and showing improvement. Staying in games, sustaining drives, getting off the field on 3rd and long more often. The list just goes on and on.

Indeed. Too often when it came to the fourth quarter you just knew our defense would blow it or our offense would blow it. I'd like to see a reversal on that. A belief that we can get it done in the clutch. 

Like Nate said, I'd like to see better coaching as well. Putting players in the right position to make plays when it counts.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:11 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Hard to define. I want to see some glimpses at least from Burrow. I want to see growth. I want to see players start believing in themselves and the team. I want to see leadership from Burrow as well--and big plays.

I could definitely see a rough start with Burrow not getting much time, and the offensive line struggling. I'm hoping to see improvement along the line. Improvement from the defense. I'm hoping they draft some promising linebackers that grow as the season goes on.

A successful season leaves me feeling like we have a chance at the playoffs in 2021. A highly successful season puts in the playoffs this year.

How much does it suck that we're getting the first pick and get to draft this guy and there won't be any OTA's or rookie camps?

I think the best way to mitigate that is to pretty much use his LSU offense like Kitchens did with Mayfield and OU's as a rookie.  Now, Zac has said his offense is very similar to that but maybe you just go straight to the LSU playbook.  The extra time lost throwing to his Bengal receivers is big, though.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:23 PM)McC Wrote: How much does it suck that we're getting the first pick and get to draft this guy and there won't be any OTA's or rookie camps?

I think the best way to mitigate that is to pretty much use his LSU offense like Kitchens did with Mayfield and OU's as a rookie.  Now, Zac has said his offense is very similar to that but maybe you just go straight to the LSU playbook.  The extra time lost throwing to his Bengal receivers is big, though.

Definitely sucks. It's likely he's just kinda thrown in there if we release or trade Dalton, and the off-season is shortened. But the same thing happened when we drafted Dalton and we had the player strike, right? That ended up working out. Yeah it's not ideal, but it is what it is. 

I'm not expecting playoffs this year. The team needs to improve vastly for that to happen. Throw in the shortened off-season and the odds will be stacked against us. It'll definitely be more exciting with Burrow under center though.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:18 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Indeed. Too often when it came to the fourth quarter you just knew our defense would blow it or our offense would blow it. I'd like to see a reversal on that. A belief that we can get it done in the clutch. 

Like Nate said, I'd like to see better coaching as well. Putting players in the right position to make plays when it counts.

For sure

There were many times last season when ZT just seemed to be winging it more than anything else, shooting from the hip. Hopefully it was an experience he's learned from and can use those lessons learned to get it together.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: For sure

There were many times last season when ZT just seemed to be winging it more than anything else, shooting from the hip. Hopefully it was an experience he's learned from and can use those lessons learned to get it together.

Definitely.

Hopefully Lou improves too. I wasn't necessarily impressed with his play calling either. They both can get better from that standpoint. I am encouraged though. It seems like they have the right approach. I truly believe if you go about life and work with the approach to continually improve and grow, that's what will happen. If you continue to do the same things over and over, not so much. Here's to hoping we see some true evolution/growth out of this team and coaching staff this year. Rock On

That said, it's not just the mindset. You have to put in the work. How do you think Bill Belicheck got where he is? Hard work. Yeah he's smart. Yeah he knows his shit. But that's because he's always studying. Always improving. Always learning. The more you have in your brain, the quicker you can make decisions and react without having to think too much. Like Burrow and his talks about winning the game during the week. Preparation. 

I think we are building something with coaches and players that have the right mentality. That's a start. But the work isn't done yet.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:47 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Definitely.

Hopefully Lou improves too. I wasn't necessarily impressed with his play calling either. They both can get better from that standpoint. I am encouraged though. It seems like they have the right approach. I truly believe if you go about life and work with the approach to continually improve and grow, that's what will happen. If you continue to do the same things over and over, not so much. Here's to hoping we see some true evolution/growth out of this team and coaching staff this year. Rock On

That said, it's not just the mindset. You have to put in the work. How do you think Bill Belicheck got where he is? Hard work. Yeah he's smart. Yeah he knows his shit. But that's because he's always studying. Always improving. Always learning. The more you have in your brain, the quicker you can make decisions and react without having to think too much. Like Burrow and his talks about winning the game during the week. Preparation. 

I think we are building something with coaches and players that have the right mentality. That's a start. But the work isn't done yet.

Beautiful post, made me feel good. So well said, major reps brother. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 07:45 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Bengals have been unusually active in free agency, the draft will be upon us in a month, and Zac Taylor has had one season, albeit a disappointing one, under his belt.

What does a successful 2020 season look like to you?  Continue the rebuild?  A winning record?  A playoff appearance?  

Success = playoffs

Progress - 8 or 9 wins

Failure - 7 wins or less
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Grit. I wanna see grit. I wanna see these guys play with a passion. As a single unit focused on winning and laying everything on the line for 60 minutes. I wanna see our guys crush the Steelers for the next 10 yrs.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 10:22 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Grit. I wanna see grit. I wanna see these guys play with a passion. As a single unit focused on winning and laying everything on the line for 60 minutes. I wanna see our guys crush the Steelers for the next 10 yrs.

I don't find it to be a coincidence that every media hack that seems to be a Steeler fan has been pushing this Burrow will
not play for the Bengals nonsense. They are scurred of the Bengals picking Burrow. Pick Burrow and kick their ass for the 
next 10 years is right.

Pitt Sux Joe
Reply/Quote
Playoffs, we did it with Green and Dalton drat after horrible season.. still have AJ on probably Burrow
Reply/Quote

Couldn't have put it better myself. That and Harley's grit.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote