Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Does Success Look Like in 2020?
At this point just having a season seems like a success... If they do play, the bar is pretty low. Three wins is an improvement. Others have said it's not about numbers, and I get that to an extent. If I see 11 guys on each side of the ball with Joe Mixon's no quit, then I'd have to assume that we're getting somewhere... But yet and still; there's too much ******' talent on this team (with an influx of new blood to boot) for them to suck as bad as they did last year. I don't think .500 is too much to ask. To
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
[quote='Essex Johnson' pid='847668' dateline='1584927176']
Playoffs, we did it with Green and Dalton drat after horrible season.. still have AJ on probably Burrow
[/quote

Success? Getting Burrows the protection he needs from the draft, an outstanding OL. He gets that he will have years with the same guys on rookie deals and Mixon. With it he’ll get yards downfield.

On defense, give me a top 15 pass and run defense.

Wins will come, however many in a probably shorten NFL season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Success? After last year? I'd consider anything around 6 wins or more as a success and improvement. Active free agency certainly has me more excited for the season and probably higher expectations.

Still I'm trying to look at this reasonably again like last year. I don't expect to make the playoffs but if we are competitive and winning close to half our games I will certainly be satisfied.

Would like to see the active free agency continue. Maybe get one more receiver and 2+ LB's and some more linemen BEFORE the draft. That way we can try to take a BPA approach and not be forced into taking best LB/OL/WR with the second pick (most likely going to happen even if we address those holes in FA).
Reply/Quote
At this point success may seem like a season being played at all. If we go into a global depression we may see several teams and even the league itself go under. I'm not predicting such, but if millions upon millions of us are out of work and mourning the loss of family and such football is going to be at the bottom of our needs.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I want to see us progressing and improving on defense. I want to see us winning more close games. Win the games you are favored in and upset a team or two. I'd like to see us beat the fricken Steelers, especially if they are totally depleted and we're relatively healthy.

We don't know for sure who will be good in the upcoming year but there is nothing wrong with making a guess based on what we currently know. So here is what an 8-8 season might look like:

HOME
Baltimore Ravens L
Cleveland Browns W
Dallas Cowboys L
Jacksonville Jaguars W
New York Giants W
Pittsburgh Steelers W
Tennessee Titans L
Los Angeles Chargers W

AWAY
Baltimore Ravens L
Cleveland Browns L
Houston Texans L
Indianapolis Colts L
Philadelphia Eagles W
Pittsburgh Steelers L
Washington Redskins W
Miami Dolphins W

I gave us a loss to the Colts because they were playing well even before getting Phillip Rivers (I believe he'll have a comeback year). On  the other hand we might actually beat the Texans since, even with Deshaun Watson they seem to be getting rid of all their good players. I still marked it as an L for now though. Oh and Miami and Washington could be tougher than we expect. One of them is gonna have Tua at Quarterback and I think Washington made a good coaching hire in getting Ron Rivera. And of course it all hinges on how healthy we can stay.

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 08:00 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: I want to see us progressing and improving on defense. I want to see us winning more close games. Win the games you are favored in and upset a team or two. I'd like to see us beat the fricken Steelers, especially if they are totally depleted and we're relatively healthy.

We don't know for sure who will be good in the upcoming year but there is nothing wrong with making a guess based on what we currently know. So here is what an 8-8 season might look like:

HOME
Baltimore Ravens L
Cleveland Browns W
Dallas Cowboys L
Jacksonville Jaguars W
New York Giants W
Pittsburgh Steelers W
Tennessee Titans L
Los Angeles Chargers W

AWAY
Baltimore Ravens L
Cleveland Browns L
Houston Texans L
Indianapolis Colts L
Philadelphia Eagles W
Pittsburgh Steelers L
Washington Redskins W
Miami Dolphins W

I gave us a loss to the Colts because they were playing well even before getting Phillip Rivers (I believe he'll have a comeback year). On  the other hand we might actually beat the Texans since, even with Deshaun Watson they seem to be getting rid of all their good players. I still marked it as an L for now though. Oh and Miami and Washington could be tougher than we expect. One of them is gonna have Tua at Quarterback and I think Washington made a good coaching hire in getting Ron Rivera. And of course it all hinges on how healthy we can stay.

I agree with pretty much agree with everything you say except for Rivers.  IMO, he is done for.  He looked like hell with two stud receivers last year.  He shoulda just gone home to Fla to spend time with his wife and 27 kids.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
My measuring stick will be a bit longer than most...."That's what she said".

Seriously, I see a team that lost their #1 weapon on offense and their #1 starting LT then their backup LT before the season really got started. The coaching staff clearly was dedicated to seeing what they had in Dalton in going pass-heavy, yet they had few weapons that could get open in a short space. That, combined with the lack of protection and almost no rushing lanes for Mixon was a perfect storm to let defenses stuff 8 guys in the box, rotate the safety to Ross, and the pressure would force Dalton to get rid of the ball very quickly.

The defense was more pathetic, if possible. Opposing QBs could just nickel-and-dime us against a horrible Preston Brown in nickel coverage. The Bengals seemed dead set to avoid any big plays down the field but would get eaten alive underneath. The defensive line had very little to no chance to get to the QB due to such poor coverage by the likes of Brown. Webb, and Williams. Just too many holes for the opposing QB to pick away at with very little time for the line to get home. As the season went on, and Brown was replaced, the defense showed signs of improvement. Darius Phillips showed he can hold up pretty well as a starting CB. Vigil played much better when Pratt replaced Brown in nickel (which is really base at 2/3rds of the snaps). Reader should pay big dividends in the middle of the line and I am hoping for a SS like Chinn or Dugger to have a playmaker on the back end.

Special teams was very strong. And I would expect that to continue.

This year, on offense, we have already replaced the starting LT with a first-round talent that will have something to prove. The LG looks like it will be manned by Jordan or possibly XSF. XSF is a better pulling guard than mauler. I am not sure what they are going to do position-wise, but you can bet another guard will be drafted. My hope is Damien Lewis from LSU. You have a solid center in Hopkins. Decent depth with Price and Johnson. And improving talent at RT in Hart, who is still just 25. If they don't see a guard they love, they could go with a tackle that could be the long term solution at RT but start him at Guard...who knows....bottom line is that they will be significantly better without John Jerry manning the LT spot and a rookie at LG. The run blocking seemed to improve as the season wore on judging by Mixon's late season ascent.

The offense should look significantly better with improvements on the line, healthy RBs, AJ Green, and a likely draft pick at WR. Taylor seemed to find better balance toward the end of last season. Burrow is the wildcard. How will he look in year 1? Well, I am betting he will look really good. He is the king of preparation and he has a natural feel for the pocket. As much as I like Dalton as a person, he is not the leader that Burrow appears to be. I think Burrow will shock us in how well he takes to the NFL and will likely break the records previously set by Baker Mayfield.

With all that being said....my measuring stick will be making the playoffs. Yep, I think they can do that. SF went from 2-14 to the Super Bowl with a couple good draft picks and getting their QB on the field. Should it really surprise people if Burrow can do what Garappolo did when he came from Southern Illinois and Burrow did it in the SEC? Hell, the guy put up a 40 burger on the #1 defense in college in the National Championship game. I believe in the kid that much. 10-6 and a playoff appearance and I will consider it a successful regular season.
Reply/Quote
Man, I wish I could say a successful season would be splitting our AFC North Rivals and going 8-8.

But, how much of a chance do you give them to compete with the Steelers/Ravens/Cleveland's really good Defenses with a Rookie QB?
They realistically could be a much better overall team this year and still go 0-6 in those Division games!

But, the rest of the schedule should be easier to win up to 4-6 games this year?

Optimistic Approach:
They could beat the Jags, Giants, Cleveland, and Chargers at Home (Up to 4 wins) Do we throw in Pittsburgh???? Lol
On the Road, Washington, Miami, and maybe Houston???

That's maxed out at 7 or 8 wins for the best they could do given the current offseason and state of all teams before the draft.

I don't like the notion that Zac gets to "On the job train" on how to be a Head Coach as well.
He better have his shit together this year as there's no more excuses in how to manage over the team.
This is a Win-Loss league, and this is year 1 of 3 he'll get.
The team seemed like they are all in with him and moving in the right direction at the end of the year; so, we'll see how they start out of the gate this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 09:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: My measuring stick will be a bit longer than most...."That's what she said".  

Seriously, I see a team that lost their #1 weapon on offense and their #1 starting LT then their backup LT before the season really got started.  The coaching staff clearly was dedicated to seeing what they had in Dalton in going pass-heavy, yet they had few weapons that could get open in a short space.  That, combined with the lack of protection and almost no rushing lanes for Mixon was a perfect storm to let defenses stuff 8 guys in the box, rotate the safety to Ross, and the pressure would force Dalton to get rid of the ball very quickly.  

The defense was more pathetic, if possible.  Opposing QBs could just nickel-and-dime us against a horrible Preston Brown in nickel coverage.  The Bengals seemed dead set to avoid any big plays down the field but would get eaten alive underneath.  The defensive line had very little to no chance to get to the QB due to such poor coverage by the likes of Brown. Webb, and Williams.  Just too many holes for the opposing QB to pick away at with very little time for the line to get home.  As the season went on, and Brown was replaced, the defense showed signs of improvement.  Darius Phillips showed he can hold up pretty well as a starting CB.  Vigil played much better when Pratt replaced Brown in nickel (which is really base at 2/3rds of the snaps).  Reader should pay big dividends in the middle of the line and I am hoping for a SS like Chinn or Dugger to have a playmaker on the back end.  

Special teams was very strong.  And I would expect that to continue.

This year, on offense, we have already replaced the starting LT with a first-round talent that will have something to prove.  The LG looks like it will be manned by Jordan or possibly XSF.  XSF is a better pulling guard than mauler.  I am not sure what they are going to do position-wise, but you can bet another guard will be drafted.  My hope is Damien Lewis from LSU.  You have a solid center in Hopkins.  Decent depth with Price and Johnson.  And improving talent at RT in Hart, who is still just 25.  If they don't see a guard they love, they could go with a tackle that could be the long term solution at RT but start him at Guard...who knows....bottom line is that they will be significantly better without John Jerry manning the LT spot and a rookie at LG.  The run blocking seemed to improve as the season wore on judging by Mixon's late season ascent.  

The offense should look significantly better with improvements on the line, healthy RBs, AJ Green, and a likely draft pick at WR.  Taylor seemed to find better balance toward the end of last season.  Burrow is the wildcard.  How will he look in year 1?  Well, I am betting he will look really good.  He is the king of preparation and he has a natural feel for the pocket.  As much as I like Dalton as a person, he is not the leader that Burrow appears to be.  I think Burrow will shock us in how well he takes to the NFL and will likely break the records previously set by Baker Mayfield.

With all that being said....my measuring stick will be making the playoffs.  Yep, I think they can do that.  SF went from 2-14 to the Super Bowl with a couple good draft picks and getting their QB on the field.  Should it really surprise people if Burrow can do what Garappolo did when he came from Southern Illinois and Burrow did it in the SEC?  Hell, the guy put up a 40 burger on the #1 defense in college in the National Championship game. I believe in the kid that much.  10-6 and a playoff appearance and I will consider it a successful regular season.

Great post SHRacer. If we can stay healthy and all you say here comes to fruition this is possible.

I still think it will come down to coaching and if the coaches hamper the players brought in or help them.

Need to have an Offense set that is a lot like LSU ran last year with a hurry up West Coast Offense mixed with the Run 
Pass Option. Think that this is pretty much what Zac has always been in and what he runs just need to adapt it even 
further towards LSU's and the Saints Offense to keep Burrow comfortable. If our Offense can have long, drives wearing
out Defenses it will help out our Defense and keep them fresh.

Getting Reader is so huge for us in stopping the run and we are bound to bring in at least a couple more Linebackers to
help in this department and in shutting down the drop offs and short passing. This along with Waynes and Alexander 
makes me think we will see a huge upgrade on Defense compared to last season's patheticism.
Reply/Quote
Give me a 7-9 season where we split the series with Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Cleveland where Burrow shows promise and/or wows people with his proficiency.
Reply/Quote
For me success this season is not necessarily about total wins.  If the team shows these 3 things, I will feel the season was a success and in a good position to build on for the future.

1. Joe Burrow – Aside from the bumps and ups and downs of most rookie QBs, Joe shows that the NFL game is not too big for him and shows improvement through the year to demonstrate that he is a franchise QB.

2. Coaching – erratic play calling and overall team performance last season, left me with questions around the coaching staff.  More cohesion and flow in the play calling and improvement in the overall defense and offence performance to at least middle of the pack, would be a successful step forward.  

3. Division – Competing within the division.  Success would be going at least 3 – 3 in the division and splitting with the Steelers, Browns and Ravens.  This would show that the Bengals can compete within their own division and have a path to the playoffs in the future.

From an overall wins perspective success would be going at least 7 – 9
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 08:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would define it less in a number, and more in a temperament that I see displayed.  Is the team growing, bonding, getting stronger?  Are they fighting to the death to the very end of every game?  Are they remedying past flaws and showing successes in their place?

:andy: :andy: :andy:
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 05:04 PM)DesertBengal Wrote: For me success this season is not necessarily about total wins.  If the team shows these 3 things, I will feel the season was a success and in a good position to build on for the future.

1. Joe Burrow – Aside from the bumps and ups and downs of most rookie QBs, Joe shows that the NFL game is not too big for him and shows improvement through the year to demonstrate that he is a franchise QB.

2. Coaching – erratic play calling and overall team performance last season, left me with questions around the coaching staff.  More cohesion and flow in the play calling and improvement in the overall defense and offence performance to at least middle of the pack, would be a successful step forward.  

3. Division – Competing within the division.  Success would be going at least 3 – 3 in the division and splitting with the Steelers, Browns and Ravens.  This would show that the Bengals can compete within their own division and have a path to the playoffs in the future.

From an overall wins perspective success would be going at least 7 – 9

Nice post DesertBengal. Cool
Reply/Quote
Success is one of us being able to attend a professional football game in 2020.

Talking about the Bungles season, I don't think I will judge Burrow after 1 year. I'll take anything that visually looks better than the trash we fielded last year, and this coming from someone who usually just cares about statistics. Bengals were unwatchable most of the year. Waste of time!
Reply/Quote