Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Free Agents do you Want to Retain
(01-13-2016, 04:49 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The defense didn't really miss a beat when Nelson was out, Shawn Williams is looking like a legit player back there.
Reggie would probably be 3rd on my list.

Marvin Jones and George Iloka have to be the top 2 guys brought back.

I can't see them giving out deals to Reggie and Iloka. IMO, only one comes back. I agree on Williams, he looked good this year, and could very likely be a starter in '16.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 04:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I can't see them giving out deals to to Reggie and Iloka. IMO, only one comes back. I agree on Williams, he looked good this year, and could very likely be a starter in '16.

We also have Derron Smith in the pipeline too.
He has a nose for the ball and didn't look out of place when given a chance
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 04:49 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The defense didn't really miss a beat when Nelson was out, Shawn Williams is looking like a legit player back there.
Reggie would probably be 3rd on my list.

Marvin Jones and George Iloka have to be the top 2 guys brought back.

I really like that Steeler killer, intercept Fatboy thing he has going and I think he's far from finished.  But if he doesn't come back, at least we are covered.  If MLJ leaves, that will hurt.  We've already seen the difference not having him makes.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 04:58 PM)McC Wrote: I really like that Steeler killer, intercept Fatboy thing he has going and I think he's far from finished.  But if he doesn't come back, at least we are covered.  If MLJ leaves, that will hurt.  We've already seen the difference not having him makes.

I'd love to have Reggie back, he's still got some skills but at 32 you are flirting a dangerous line with an NFL safety. Drop off could happen any week. 
Reply/Quote
A. George Iloka
1. Marvin Jones

Everyone else is icing on the cake.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Winston and Smith should go. Neither are worth what they were getting paid. Jones is questionable, depending on how much he's wanting.

The rest should be well within out cap range, especially since hall and Jones will be cheap.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Iloka- Is the only must on the list; How many safeties are 6-4 and can cover the ground he can.
Sanu- I would rather have Marvin back but I think he commands serious cash on the open market(Torey Smith money).  Sanu is a good player but has been over shadowed by Jones, Eifert, and of course green. I think we can get him on a prove it deal this offseason and he will have a better year next season.
The rest of the guys are to old ,are just backups, or to big of an headache to sign back. I  know we will sign more than two of our own guys back but we should really look outside of this team to improve the roster.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 12:09 AM)J24 Wrote: Iloka- Is the only must on the list; How many safeties are 6-4 and can cover the ground he can.
Sanu- I would rather have Marvin back but I think he commands serious cash on the open market(Torey Smith money).  Sanu is a good player but has been over shadowed by Jones, Eifert, and of course green. I think we can get him on a prove it deal this offseason and he will have a better year next season.
The rest of the guys are to old ,are just backups, or to big of an headache to sign back. I  know we will sign more than two of our own guys back but we should really look outside of this team to improve the roster.

No reason we can't re-sign Marvin Jones, he will get a decent pay day but should be cheaper than Smith, jones missed an entire season, did next to nothing his rookie season and even his other two seasons weren't as good as Torrey's. Career stats for both players first four seasons are like 3600 yards and 30 td's for smith and 1700 yds and 15 td's for smith. I see no reason why he would command 8 mil a yr, and even if he does the bengals could match it. With the cap space we have we can afford to bring back basically all of our FA's except Andre smith.
Reply/Quote
Nelson and Iloka top my list. Williams emerged though and may play a factor. It wasn't too long ago we were searching for safety's, seemingly never having any luck finding a starter. We had the best in the North. It'll be nice to keep them. Zimmer as usual, is the big threat.

Marvin and Sanu didn't do that much to break the bank. Eifert is our 2. Cleveland is likely their only true option. They are replaceable. We just have to draft a wideout early. Double dip if need be. We have that luxury.

Hunt and Clarke are gone. We need Gilberry, and should get him at a good price.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Thompson and Lamur would seem to be no brainers to let walk with the timing of their late season injuries. Imagine both would end up on the PUP at best, and more likely IR'd for most of the season.
Reply/Quote
My order would be:

1.) Iloka - he has the size, speed, and experience to be a special defensive player. Not to mention he will only be 26 to start the next season. I think you got to sign him at this point.

2.) Marvin Jones - I think a lot of the difference we saw in the offense this year can be attributed to Andy's improvement, but also having Jones and Eifert in the mix were huge in helping our offensive performances. I think you gotta bring him back to help take coverage off of AJ and Eifert.

3.) Adam Jones - I know he screwed up big time in the playoff game, but I cannot see us performing nearly to the level we did this year without him. I think Dre and Dennard still need more experience before we can consider them #1 CBs. Also, Pacman did a lot to help win games this year. I remember vividly the Seattle game where it looked bleak and then Pacman fired up the defense to help create some stops and then had two good returns (even if one was called back). I think you have to bring him back if you want the defense to perform like it did this year. He is an emotional leader of the defense and I think after the playoff fiasco(s), he may be better about negative emotions as well.

4.) Vinnie Rey - he is a solid performer on both defense and special teams. I think he is also a good example and leader for our younger players too. Not to mention we will need an experienced LB in there for the games Burfict will be suspended for to start the season.

The rest depends on who we draft and have the ability to sign. I would not overpay for any of the other guys because I believe we have the depth to fill their positions.

I would try to bring back Nelson for 2 or 3 years on incentive laden contract. He is a veteran and a lot has been made about his legal hit on Owen Daniels. Might still make some good press in light of our "dirty" reputation on the league. We can say that Burfict is working with him to be smarter about laying people out or something haha

I would also consider bringing back Thompson. His injury likely makes him somewhat cheap and he is younger and experienced in our system.

But guys I would be against bringing back:

Tate - probably the most frustrating Bengal this season. Literally, you could get up early for the commercial break on punts and kickoffs because if he was in, then you knew nothing would happen. He had that one catch this season and that's it. Please just draft a return man or sign Jacoby Jones, I don't care, just get Tate out of here.

Hall - I hate to see him go because he has been a solid longtime Bengal, but the injuries and age are slowing him down. I think it is time to let Dennard or Lewis-Harris take over.
Reply/Quote
Whoever says Marvin Jones won't get any interest is crazy...
Reply/Quote
Isn't Zeitler a free agent?

If so, got to keep him.

M. Jones
Iloka
Nelson
On the fence about A. Jones. He is 32 but still playing well. His hot head gets us into trouble sometimes and he is going to be looking for top dollar as he's still paying off that lawsuit.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 04:14 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Whoever says Marvin Jones won't get any interest is crazy...

Don't think anyone has said that
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 02:09 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Isn't Zeitler a free agent?  

If so, got to keep him.

M. Jones
Iloka
Nelson
On the fence about A. Jones.  He is 32 but still playing well.  His hot head gets us into trouble sometimes and he is going to be looking for top dollar as he's still paying off that lawsuit.

No. Option year. 
He's making 8 million. 
He'll be a FA in 2017
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 02:09 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Isn't Zeitler a free agent?  

If so, got to keep him.

M. Jones
Iloka
Nelson
On the fence about A. Jones.  He is 32 but still playing well.  His hot head gets us into trouble sometimes and he is going to be looking for top dollar as he's still paying off that lawsuit.

No I think we used the 5th year options for first rounders on both Kirkpatrick and Zeitler so they won't be FA until next season. Both making good money on those 5th years and Whit is making 10 mil next year so we should have decent cap space again next off season to work on those two and any other FA we may have, we could probably lower this seasons cap hit by extending them long term this offseason also.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 02:16 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: No I think we used the 5th year options for first rounders on both Kirkpatrick and Zeitler so they won't be FA until next season. Both making good money on those 5th years and Whit is making 10 mil next year so we should have decent cap space again next off season to work on those two and any other FA we may have, we could probably lower this seasons cap hit by extending them long term this offseason also.

I think the option year numbers are set. Not sure those can be lowered. Thought they said that when it came to another player 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 02:16 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: No I think we used the 5th year options for first rounders on both Kirkpatrick and Zeitler so they won't be FA until next season. Both making good money on those 5th years and Whit is making 10 mil next year so we should have decent cap space again next off season to work on those two and any other FA we may have, we could probably lower this seasons cap hit by extending them long term this offseason also.

Thanks.  Good to know.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 02:18 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I think the option year numbers are set. Not sure those can be lowered. Thought they said that when it came to another player 

Hadn't heard that, thanks for the info! 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 02:22 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Hadn't heard that, thanks for the info! 

Not 100% certain but I *think* it's done that way
Reply/Quote