Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Free Agents do you Want to Retain
The team has so much cap room, they can keep everybody if they want to and the player wants to stay. The question is how many players want a change of scenery and how much does the team want to turn over the roster. This core of players has had 5 chances at winning a playoff game, the team obviously doesn't think Lewis is the problem, so maybe it's the players.

I think it's going to be hard to bring Iloka back without tagging him, my guess is he wants to join Joseph in TB. Also, I think some crap team (The Browns?) is going to throw alot of money at Jones or Sanu, so we'll probably lose one of them.

Re-sign:
Nelson
Rey
Sanu
Johnson
Sims
Tate (teams choice, not mine)

Hopefully, let some youngsters take over next year; Williams, Dennard, Alford, Ogbuehi, Hardison, Dawson
Reply/Quote
Marvin Jones
Adam Jones
George Illoka
Sanu
Nelson
Leon Hall (hope he retires a Bengal)
Vinny Rey
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Adam Jones, because of his temper, is the only guy I would be reluctant to bring back.

Everyone else I would be happy to re-sign. Obviously this is based on fair market value for guys. No way do I re-sign Mo Sanu for AJ Green money, etc.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marvin Jones, Iloka, Nelson, Rey. I'm not sure about Adam Jones. He is a great player but has that uncontrollable temper. I would let Sanu walk. Hopefully they aren't even considering Andre Smith.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 02:53 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Marvin Jones, Iloka, Nelson, Rey.  I'm not sure about Adam Jones.  He is a great player but has that uncontrollable temper.  I would let Sanu walk.  Hopefully they aren't even considering Andre Smith.

Two OTs last year in the first 2 rounds...unless he plays for a nickel, Andre is gone
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 02:53 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Marvin Jones, Iloka, Nelson, Rey.  I'm not sure about Adam Jones.  He is a great player but has that uncontrollable temper.  I would let Sanu walk.  Hopefully they aren't even considering Andre Smith.

Jim O. and Dehner have brought up that it might take a lot to keep Marvin. Hue is a fan of him and the Browns need a #1 guy. Marvin could cash in with free agency, get back with Andrew Hawkins (they're great friends off the field), become the go-to guy in Cleveland, and possibly catch passes from a Cal QB.

I know we have memories of when TJ decided to leave and become a #1, which failed, but I could see Marvin wanting to test the market.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

Agreed with this. Jones is my #1 priority, I really like him as a compliment to AJ. One of Iloka/Nelson would be ok imo, as long as both dont walk. Rey I'd like to keep as I like the guy.

Pacman was pretty good this year, but I feel he'll decline. Certainly not up for paying him more to bring him back, so probably a pass on that one. Andre would have to be cheap.

I do like Sanu, but it comes down to payment. He's just not been a big enough part of the offence to warrant that much. I think he's pretty replaceable (though his QB talent is not Sad )
Reply/Quote
Part of me feels like they drafted Dennard to be a starter and that the time to throw him in is now. Another part of me feels that Pacman is undeniably better and that the defense will inevitably regress without him. It's a tough one. You don't make CB a priority in the first round because you intend to give aging veterans big contracts right as the draft pick gets into what should be his prime years. If Dennard is worth a damn at all, his time is now.

They can draft a corner for depth if that's the issue. If Dennard replaces Adam, then you're drafting to replace 2015 Dennard, which isn't all that tall of an order IMO. With Dre, Shaw, and Dennard they should have three potentially good corners to start with.

One guy that I believe is an FA that I think must be signed is Lewis-Harris. I think the guy looked worlds better late in the season. I'm not sure if another team agrees with me and would offer more than we are willing to give, but I'd keep him. He's at least good enough to be a 4th corner in this league, maybe even a steady nickel guy. He looked as good as Leon did when he was in for him this season.

get those 4 guys on the roster and draft a 5th. If Adam Jones comes at a great price due to reputation, then that's even better.
Reply/Quote
Also, once you get past the likely substantial deals of MLJ and Iloka, many guys won't really cost significant money to retain.

I see no need to keep Andre, who looked to lose a step in 2015. Nelson has been great for us, but there is a likely replacement on the team that's looked pretty good.

Even in the event that the (that I've seen) projected 43 million cap gets pared down to 30 or so after all the rookie/injury/rollover song and dance, there's enough to pay Iloka and Jones. Even is they get 9 mil or so each. You can still bring back vets like Gilberry, Rey, and Sims/Thompson after that to keep the draft open.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 02:37 AM)samhain Wrote: Also, once you get past the likely substantial deals of MLJ and Iloka, many guys won't really cost significant money to retain.  

I see no need to keep Andre, who looked to lose a step in 2015.  Nelson has been great for us, but there is a likely replacement on the team that's looked pretty good.  

Even in the event that the (that I've seen) projected 43 million cap gets pared down to 30 or so after all the rookie/injury/rollover song and dance, there's enough to pay Iloka and Jones.  Even is they get 9 mil or so each.  You can still bring back vets like Gilberry, Rey, and Sims/Thompson after that to keep the draft open.

I hope you are correct. We need Iloka, MLJ and Pacman signed.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Marvin Jones and Iloka are the only two we must retain, I would like to see a 2 year deal to Adam Jones and a 1 year deal to Vinnie Rey and Eric Winston. If the price is right keep Sanu, but the rest of the FA can kick rocks.
Reply/Quote
I think our priorities should be:

1. Nelson - very solid year and I feel like he is probably the leader of the DBs.

2. Adam Jones - this guy had a crazy year. With the money we save from paying Tate to warm the bench while Pacman is doing returns AND starting on D we can have probably half his salary.

3. George Iloka - young player who is up and coming. Had a good year.

4. Marvin Jones - The video of him immediately after getting drafted sticks with me every time I see or here his name. Guy loves being a Bengal. He puts up solid numbers and is a good #2 to AJ Green.

5. Vinny Rey - He is a solid guy to have on the roster. Good depth.
Reply/Quote
Nelson, Iloka, M. Jones, A. Jones, and Vinnie Rey (in that order)

Though I think the team usually has a price in mind for everyone that could even mildly contribute, but it is usually too low to hope for. Like, I think they'll make an offer to Leon Hall for 2-3 years to finish out his career, but it won't be close to the 9 million a year he gets now and he'll probably get more elsewhere.

Reply/Quote
With Megatron possibly retiring, rumor has it the the Lions might be interested in Marvin Jones. Another rumor is that the Patriots might be interested as well.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 02:12 PM)Goalpost Wrote: With Megatron possibly retiring, rumor has it the the Lions might be interested in Marvin Jones.  Another rumor is that the Patriots might be interested as well.

It's going to be interesting to see what Marvin does in free agency. I think going to New England would be the equivalent of him playing here. He'll be the #3 target behind Gronk and Edelman. Detroit would be intriguing siimply because they have Golden Tate and that's about it.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 05:09 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It's going to be interesting to see what Marvin does in free agency. I think going to New England would be the equivalent of him playing here. He'll be the #3 target behind Gronk and Edelman. Detroit would be intriguing siimply because they have Golden Tate and that's about it.

Well to be fair, New England has a better record of winning in playoffs (Just being honest)...

Other than that.. yeah Big Grin
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
George Iloka and Marvin Jones are the only two guys they really have to bring back.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 05:22 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Jim O. and Dehner have brought up that it might take a lot to keep Marvin. Hue is a fan of him and the Browns need a #1 guy. Marvin could cash in with free agency, get back with Andrew Hawkins (they're great friends off the field), become the go-to guy in Cleveland, and possibly catch passes from a Cal QB.

I know we have memories of when TJ decided to leave and become a #1, which failed, but I could see Marvin wanting to test the market.

I am reluctant to think he is going to get number one money, but you can't blame the guy for taking it if someone offers it.  He was drafted in the fifth round, and his entire rookie deal was $2.2 million.  He'll probably be 30 by the time this contract is expired, so this could be his chance to really cash in and secure his future.  Spotrac has his estimated value at five years and $22 million.  I would love to have him back on that deal, but if another team wants to offer him huge money, then I would wish him the best.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/marvin-jones/market-value/
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 10:12 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I am reluctant to think he is going to get number one money, but you can't blame the guy for taking it if someone offers it.  He was drafted in the fifth round, and his entire rookie deal was $2.2 million.  He'll probably be 30 by the time this contract is expired, so this could be his chance to really cash in and secure his future.  Spotrac has his estimated value at five years and $22 million.  I would love to have him back on that deal, but if another team wants to offer him huge money, then I would wish him the best.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/marvin-jones/market-value/

That's the thing. It only takes 1 team to throw out a huge deal.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 05:09 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It's going to be interesting to see what Marvin does in free agency. I think going to New England would be the equivalent of him playing here. He'll be the #3 target behind Gronk and Edelman. Detroit would be intriguing siimply because they have Golden Tate and that's about it.

I do think that he could do extremely well in New England.  Gronk is double teamed most of the time, Edelman is a short to mid range target, he could really take the top off of defenses.
Reply/Quote