Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Happened to the Comedy Movie Genre?
(05-13-2021, 06:44 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Yeah, it is truly sad.

Also, Tucker and Dale vs Evil is absolutely amazing. First time I watched it, I was like what pile of crap was that!??! Now that I've seen in multiple times, I'm like this is brilliant and funny.

I also like Bill Burr's stand-up since he literally goes out of his way to piss off the P.C. crowd with a total I don't give a damn attitude.

Haha, the first time you watch Tucker and Dale it is a bit shocking. Crazy damn college kids killin' themselves all around us lol

Love the part when he is introducing himself to the hot babe and says his name is Tail Ducker LMAO!!! Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 08:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Haha, the first time you watch Tucker and Dale it is a bit shocking. Crazy damn college kids killin' themselves all around us lol

Love the part when he is introducing himself to the hot babe and says his name is Tail Ducker LMAO!!! Hilarious

If you kill my dog I'm gonna.. I'm gonna be really mad! Mad Mad Mad

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I forget the movie (Deadpool?) that he was referring to, but basically Seth Rogan said that it wasn't fair for movies like that to compete with other comedies, as the others didn't receive any budget.

And that sort of makes sense.

Comedy is subjective. For a studio, you want mass appeal, not subjective. Avengers, if done properly, has mass appeal; Super Troopers, if done properly, is just ****ing hilarious to maybe 1/5th of the viewers.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 04:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Murdock and Xeno nailed it. I do love Tucker and Dale vs Evil, one of the few comedies of our day and Grabbers.

But the politically correct movement is the reason comedy has died. Everyone is offended by everything now a days.

Thin skinned millennials who don't know how to laugh at anything has killed comedy. Seinfeld even says so.

I believe its more the loud mouth minority more than anything else. One person can put their thoughts out there louder than ever before, and for some reason people and companies cater to this loud minority.

It's kind of like in a service job. You can do a great job 9/10 times and none or few of those people will praise you, but by god you do poor for that 10th person and they are going to make the biggest fuss about it.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 02:01 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I believe its more the loud mouth minority more than anything else. One person can put their thoughts out there louder than ever before, and for some reason people and companies cater to this loud minority.

It's kind of like in a service job. You can do a great job 9/10 times and none or few of those people will praise you, but by god you do poor for that 10th person and they are going to make the biggest fuss about it.

True, it isn't everyone. Just the loud mouth minority who like to ***** about everything that offends them. Well said CBFG.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 11:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, it isn't everyone. Just the loud mouth minority who like to ***** about everything that offends them. Well said CBFG.

yep to quote a metallica lyric..

The Empty Can rattles the most.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 09:35 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: yep to quote a metallica lyric..

Well said. Metallica lyrics are spot on a lot of the time lol
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 09:35 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: yep to quote a metallica lyric..

(05-18-2021, 11:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well said. Metallica lyrics are spot on a lot of the time lol

Pretty sure Plato said it before Metallica 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm generally curious what the world would be like if we could just get rid of all social media.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 06:14 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I'm generally curious what the world would be like if we could just get rid of all social media.

a much happier place.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 06:14 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I'm generally curious what the world would be like if we could just get rid of all social media.

Except football message boards of course... Mellow
Reply/Quote

Unquestionably better.

I think some day, years and years down the line, people will look back at something like Twitter or Instagram and think "What in the hell were they thinking?"
Reply/Quote
I 100% agree that there just have not been many good comedy movies recently. But the "PC movement" has nothing to do with it because the most popular current stand up comedians are very non-PC.

Ans I know it is OT, but I just recently watched a comedy from back in 2011, Bad Teacher, and it was very funny.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 09:02 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: These are the guys I would consider to be the bankable stars to headline a comedy movie in the last 20 years.  So my question is, who has replaced them?  Who are some of the newer heavyweights in comedy films?  Are there any?

Actually Jason Bateman had a nice run of comedies.

Horrible Bosses & HB 2, Game Night

He just jumps around from Drama to Comedy.  Injecting comedy even into the drama.

No real heavy hitters though.  Jason Sudeikis same thing.

These guys aren't blockbuster draws by any means.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I have heard that Hollywood only cares about major blockbusters and anything they make that’s not for money is some political BS movies.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 07:26 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Actually Jason Bateman had a nice run of comedies.

Horrible Bosses & HB 2, Game Night

He just jumps around from Drama to Comedy.  Injecting comedy even into the drama.

No real heavy hitters though.  Jason Sudeikis same thing.

These guys aren't blockbuster draws by any means.

I really liked Horrible Bosses, the 2nd one was just ok.  Fwiw, even those are probably older than you might think.  The first one is 10 years old, and the 2nd one of 7 years old.

Game Night was decent too, but I don't really consider that a straight up comedy.  Although Landry from Friday Night Lights character was absolutely hilarious in it.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2021, 09:50 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I really liked Horrible Bosses, the 2nd one was just ok.  Fwiw, even those are probably older than you might think.  The first one is 10 years old, and the 2nd one of 7 years old.

Game Night was decent too, but I don't really consider that a straight up comedy.  Although Landry from Friday Night Lights character was absolutely hilarious in it.

Thought Game Night was fantastic. Happy this show was brought up. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 12:23 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thought Game Night was fantastic. Happy this show was brought up. Rock On

I've never watched this, but I suspect I might dig it, seeing' that you and Mr. Mantooth are fans.  I typically don't even seek to watch comedies made over the past 10 years or so.  I believe the most recent comedy that I remember watching and liking was Meet The Millers.   I tend to laugh at darker humor anyway, like the comedic scenes in Fargo (the movie and the series), In Bruges, Dr. Strangelove, Rushmore, 7 Psychopaths, Adaptation....I could go on and on but I'll spare y'all.  It's almost as hard to pick a favorite comedy as trying to pick a favorite song, but I tend to harken back to Raising Arizona quite often when taking comedies.    

( cool thread Cool ) 
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 02:09 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: I've never watched this, but I suspect I might dig it, seeing' that you and Mr. Mantooth are fans.  I typically don't even seek to watch comedies made over the past 10 years or so.  I believe the most recent comedy that I remember watching and liking was Meet The Millers.   I tend to laugh at darker humor anyway, like the comedic scenes in Fargo (the movie and the series), In Bruges, Dr. Strangelove, Rushmore, 7 Psychopaths, Adaptation....I could go on and on but I'll spare y'all.  It's almost as hard to pick a favorite comedy as trying to pick a favorite song, but I tend to harken back to Raising Arizona quite often when taking comedies.    

( cool thread Cool ) 

One of my faves.

"I like your nurses uniform."

"These are O.R. scrubs."

"Oh, are they?"

Royal Tenenbaums was great too.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 05:38 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: One of my faves.

"I like your nurses uniform."

"These are O.R. scrubs."

"Oh, are they?"

Royal Tenenbaums was great too.

Hilarious    Awesome.  Rushmore is one of my favorite movies.  Comedy can certainly be subjective...I used to host big boxing parties (ppv...not actually boxing at them, although I boxed in two of those too lol) many years ago, and would throw on a movie for the last of us that were still awake, finishing off the rest of the booze.  I used to get so much shit by some when I'd put Rushmore on. My girl and I still quote the aforementioned scene (Oh are they..) to this day lol.   I too love Royal Tenenbaums. :hi five: 
Reply/Quote