Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Happened to the Comedy Movie Genre?
(05-25-2021, 02:09 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: I've never watched this, but I suspect I might dig it, seeing' that you and Mr. Mantooth are fans.  I typically don't even seek to watch comedies made over the past 10 years or so.  I believe the most recent comedy that I remember watching and liking was Meet The Millers.   I tend to laugh at darker humor anyway, like the comedic scenes in Fargo (the movie and the series), In Bruges, Dr. Strangelove, Rushmore, 7 Psychopaths, Adaptation....I could go on and on but I'll spare y'all.  It's almost as hard to pick a favorite comedy as trying to pick a favorite song, but I tend to harken back to Raising Arizona quite often when taking comedies.    

( cool thread Cool ) 

Nice, Raising Arizona is just a classic man. The Big Lebowski always makes me laugh my ass off, bit dark but hilarious.

Throwing the ferret in The Dude's tub sends me into the fits  Hilarious

Same when he is getting punched in the face and doesn't spill a drop of his white russian lol
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 05:38 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: One of my faves.

"I like your nurses uniform."

"These are O.R. scrubs."

"Oh, are they?"

Royal Tenenbaums was great too.

I rather enjoyed The Grand Budapest motel. It’s just a different kind of comedy from Wes anderson.

I caught a lot of shit from my brother for years because I loved Rushmore while he thought it was the dumbest thing he’s ever seen.

He did have quite a chuckle at the that ***** ****** line though
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 09:57 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I rather enjoyed The Grand Budapest motel. It’s just a different kind of comedy from Wes anderson.

I caught a lot of shit from my brother for years because I loved Rushmore while he thought it was the dumbest thing he’s ever seen.

He did have quite a chuckle at the that ***** ****** line though

I'm almost ashamed to admit it but I haven't seen any of the Wes Anderson films since The Life Aquatic With Steve what's his name.

I LOVED Rushmore.  I LOVED the Royal Tenenbaums.  I own them both on DVD.  But could not get into the The Life Aquatic at all.  And since then I just haven't bothered watching any of the other stuff. 

I think I may have tried watching the Darjeeling Limited once on TV but I caught it after he had already started and turned off shorty after.

PS I need to know what the ***** ******* line is.

PPS I watch this every so often on Youtube.  I still lose it at "Did you say my mom gave you a handjob" every single time.  I don't know why but it's my favorite handjob line of the bunch.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 10:20 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm almost ashamed to admit it but I haven't seen any of the Wes Anderson films since The Life Aquatic With Steve what's his name.

I LOVED Rushmore.  I LOVED the Royal Tenenbaums.  I own them both on DVD.  But could not get into the The Life Aquatic at all.  And since then I just haven't bothered watching any of the other stuff. 

I think I may have tried watching the Darjeeling Limited once on TV but I caught it after he had already started and turned off shorty after.

PS I need to know what the ***** ******* line is.

PPS I watch this every so often on Youtube.  I still lose it at "Did you say my mom gave you a handjob" every single time.  I don't know why but it's my favorite handjob line of the bunch.

I enjoyed the Life Aquatic, but much less than others, I'd rank the movies I've seen:

1. Grand Budapest Motel
2. The Royal Tennenbaums
3. Moonrise Kingdom
4. Rushmore
5. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
6. The Darjeeling Limited

I haven't seen Bottle Rocket or his 2 animated films yet. (Ooooh BR is on Amazon Prime and the other 2 are on Disney+)

I only got to watch Grand Budapest Motel in theaters and it was a treat despite it being a failed date. Wes Anderson is not a great date movie lol
Reply/Quote
As someone that absolutely adores a ton of my works Spanish cleaning ladies I am heavily enjoying Bottle Rocket right now lol
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 01:50 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: As someone that absolutely adores a ton of my works Spanish cleaning ladies I am heavily enjoying Bottle Rocket right now lol

“I’m calling my gang! Ca-caw! Ca-caw!” LMAO

Reply/Quote
I have to watch Shaun of the Dead every time it's on.  Doesn't matter where it is in the flick.  I'm watching it. 
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 08:10 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I have to watch Shaun of the Dead every time it's on.  Doesn't matter where it is in the flick.  I'm watching it. 

i really like the movies those guys costar in...

Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
Paul

I think theres another one i havent seen yet.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 09:09 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: i really like the movies those guys costar in...

Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
Paul

The World’s End. It’s the worst of the trilogy but pretty fun.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 09:09 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: i really like the movies those guys costar in...

Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
Paul

I totally forgot about this movie and I remember really liking it.  I've seen the others multiple times, including the The World's End.  So I'm not sure how in the hell this I completely forgot this even existed.

I really need to rewatch this.  Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think I've ever seen it listed on any of the streaming services I use. Probably why I haven't rewatched since I initially rented it. I might have to get this one from the library (I refuse to pay 3.99 or whatever to stream it from Amazon.)
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 11:25 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I totally forgot about this movie and I remember really liking it.  I've seen the others multiple times, including the The World's End.  So I'm not sure how in the hell this I completely forgot this even existed.

I really need to rewatch this.  Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think I've ever seen it listed on any of the streaming services I use. Probably why I haven't rewatched since I initially rented it.  I might have to get this one from the library (I refuse to pay 3.99 or whatever to stream it from Amazon.)

As an Alien fan.... I recognized the voice chasing them immediately lol.  made the movie that much better for me.  Not sure if its on any of the services i have either...
Reply/Quote

Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
Paul

Love Hot Fuzz, made me laugh my head off. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I downloaded the Naked Gun to watch and my God I forgot how amazing this movie is. I think I say this every time I dust it off and watch it.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 01:50 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I downloaded the Naked Gun to watch and my God I forgot how amazing this movie is. I think I say this every time I dust it off and watch it.

Leslie Neilson rocks lol
Reply/Quote
I miss when NEW Family Guy and American Dad were good. I also miss when South Park did entire seasons and not just a one-hour episode per year. Best thing on tv right now is Rick & Morty and it’s not even close. Take away Venture Bros and Metalacalypse and give us….Tuca & Birdie. FAIL. Nora From Queens? TERRIBLE. Anything with Kevin Hart? Hard pass!
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2021, 12:02 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I miss when NEW Family Guy and American Dad were good. I also miss when South Park did entire seasons and not just a one-hour episode per year. Best thing on tv right now is Rick & Morty and it’s not even close. Take away Venture Bros and Metalacalypse and give us….Tuca & Birdie. FAIL. Nora From Queens? TERRIBLE. Anything with Kevin Hart? Hard pass!

If you're looking for a new animated comedy this is coming out on Netflix in Septemeber...

Be sure to watch the whole thing (it's only 55 seconds).  It's chock full of laughs. Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2021, 01:20 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If you're looking for a new animated comedy this is coming out on Netflix in Septemeber...

Be sure to watch the whole thing (it's only 55 seconds).  It's chock full of laughs.

Sadly, I live in an area where internet comes to die. Spectrum runs into town but not just outside of it. Leaving us cowfolk with Hughesnet or a phone hotspot. I get whatever is on Dish and that’s it. I haven’t browsed Netflix or Hulu or other streaming services since early 2019. Maybe if Elon’s internet releases to the general public like it’s supposed to by the end of the year, I’ll be able to check some of these shows out.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2021, 02:52 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Sadly, I live in an area where internet comes to die. Spectrum runs into town but not just outside of it. Leaving us cowfolk with Hughesnet or a phone hotspot. I get whatever is on Dish and that’s it. I haven’t browsed Netflix or Hulu or other streaming services since early 2019. Maybe if Elon’s internet releases to the general public like it’s supposed to by the end of the year, I’ll be able to check some of these shows out.

Fwiw, I was being sarcastic about that particular show; it looks terrible.

I was just going to ask you about Elon's internetg thing and then I saw the bottom of your post.  I kinda thought it was already out but I hope you get it.  And if you are looking at decent animated comedies on Netlfix in the future, I would recomend Bojack Horseman and F is For Family.  Maybe Big Mouth too, depending on your tastes, but it's kind of gone stale for me.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2021, 12:02 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I miss when NEW Family Guy and American Dad were good. I also miss when South Park did entire seasons and not just a one-hour episode per year. Best thing on tv right now is Rick & Morty and it’s not even close. Take away Venture Bros and Metalacalypse and give us….Tuca & Birdie. FAIL. Nora From Queens? TERRIBLE. Anything with Kevin Hart? Hard pass!

with south park they will probly have a full season this year... last year was just a crap year in general.    but their 2 1 hour mini specials were still great.

Of the Cartoon shows that have come and gone recently Futurama is the one i miss the most.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2021, 03:19 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fwiw, I was being sarcastic about that particular show; it looks terrible.

I was just going to ask you about Elon's internetg thing and then I saw the bottom of your post.  I kinda thought it was already out but I hope you get it.  And if you are looking at decent animated comedies on Netlfix in the future, I would recomend Bojack Horseman and F is For Family.  Maybe Big Mouth too, depending on your tastes, but it's kind of gone stale for me.

(07-16-2021, 10:03 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: with south park they will probly have a full season this year... last year was just a crap year in general.    but their 2 1 hour mini specials were still great.

Of the Cartoon shows that have come and gone recently  Futurama is the one i miss the most.

Now don't y'all forget about Squidbillies

Not even sure if they still make them or where you can get it.

That show, though short(15min), is friggin' gold!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote