Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What I liked about the 2015 season
Yes, the season ended in a debacle that could only be described by the phrase WTF.

But given time to recover from the shock of that messy game I felt I could now look back at the season without that final game clouding my view.

So here's what I liked about 2015

1. Andy Dalton - I'm not a big Andy Dalton homer fan [as probably most of you know] and his performances in playoff games really had me thinking that he's just one of those guys who isn't going to take the next step and become the QB this team really needs him to become. Well, in 2015 I must say that I was pretty impressed in that he became the QB I really felt he would never become. In situations where he use to panic he became certain and reliable. When something went wrong he use to get desperate and make the situation worse, whereas now he just seems to shrug those things off, a trait every competitor really needs to become an eventual champion.

2. The defense overall - This was a damn good defense all around. From the DL to the secondary it was a well run unit. And it complemented the offense very well. Atkins returned to form and this really helped Dunlap's game and the rest of the DL play well. The secondary was loaded with talent everywhere.

3. Vontaze Burfict - Before Burfict's return the team gave up 13, 19, 24, 21, 24 and 21 points (20.33 points per game). That 20.33 is respectable number all by itself and was good enough to go 6-0. But after Burfict's return the team gave up 10, 10, 10, 34, 7, 3, 27, 14, 20, 16 and 18 points (15.36 points per game). Despite his late blow to the head in the playoff game, Burfict's presence on the field just makes the defense better.

4. The coaching staff - Normally I'd not give all that much credit Marvin Lewis and his coaches cause time after time I've seen them be out coached in big games and in some not so big games. But in 2015 they seemed to prepare the team better. I saw more regular and better in-game adjustments (something I've been highly critical of in the past).

5. The team grit - This team has more grit than I can remember in the last couple of decades. The comeback against Seattle, the way the team never quit when down 15-0 in the playoff game, save for that last second meltdown.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
What I liked was that for the first time since 2005, the Bengals showed that they could hang with the best teams and could have won it all. Prior to 2015, I thought maybe the Bengals could have won maybe 1-2 playoff games, but didn't have a shot at playing in a Super Bowl.

If done right, I think the Bengals can at least match or even exceed what they built on in 2015.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Everything already mentioned plus Geno's return to form and Dunlap's step forward.

Most of all, though, was the way Andy took the shattered pieces of himself and built a better player. Thank you to the people who booed him in the softball game.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Liked just about every aspect of this year except Hill's step backward, injury to Dalton, and bonehead mental errors that ended the season. Give everything else two thumbs up !

This team is so promising if the core can stay intact and healthy.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 01:46 PM)McC Wrote: Everything already mentioned plus Geno's return to form and Dunlap's step forward.

Most of all, though, was the way Andy took the shattered pieces of himself and built a better player.  Thank you to the people who booed him in the softball game.

You hit the nail on the head. Most exciting things were as you mentioned, Dalton, Geno, Dunlap, and would add Eiffert stepping up. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
It is nice that we get to enjoy this off-season without the "Dalton line" stuff. That got old real quick last year.

Reply/Quote