Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What I want
I have no solid idea what the Bengals want.  I have a sense that they will lean towards a CB or a WR.   This is what would float my boat (please excuse the fonts and other editorial mess - I'm old and ignorant):

1. Vernon Butler DT – 6’3” 325lbs – Good possibility of being there.  There did not seem to be a lot of buzz about him at the combine (but I did not watch carefully).  Can eat up space, stuff the run, push the pocket and penetrate.   The guy is strong as an ox – 27 reps with 34 inch arms??  And his tape shows him whipping O Linemen like they are rag dolls.  Put him next to Geno and the best interior lines are fighting for their lives.  We have other needs here (WR and CB) but if I’m drafting I want to take our D Line to the level of Denver’s.  This would do it in my opinion.

2. Miles Killebrew SS/LB – 6’1” 219lbs – Word has it that the Bengals were interviewing him.  And I’m pretty sure he won’t be there in the 3rd.   This gives us a guy who can stuff the run and cover running backs and tight ends.  And he’s vicious.  Will need a little training about tackling guys out of bounds, but he will definitely add another intimidator to the defense.  I’ve read that he handles blocking TEs really well and he is a ball hawk as well.   Worth a 2nd rounder in my opinion.

3. Matt Judon DE/LB – 6’3”  250lbs-  This guy gives us the explosive edge rusher we don’t have.   This is big man with (reportedly) long arms that put up 30 reps and had a 4.53 short shuttle.  So he shows good acceleration and lateral quickness.   And on tape (admittedly with lesser competition) he is totally unstoppable.  He changes direction on a dime, sheds well and knifes through the trash like lightning.  He just has a nose for the ball.   Put him opposite Dunlap with our beefed up interior and QBs will not have more than 2-3 seconds to get rid of the ball before inevitably being taken to the ground.

4. Joe Schobert OLB - 6’1” 247lbs -  Ran a slow enough 40 at the combine that there’s a hope he’s still here.  What I really want here is Glascow, the center from Michigan – but I think he’s gone by 122.  Schobert’s a good SAM candidate who plays well against the run, surprisingly good in coverage and is a good blitzer.   So a better 3 down guy than we have.  His tape is really good.  He’s just a player.  And a 4.30 short shuttle underscore’s his lateral ability.

5. Vincent Valentine DT  - 6’3” 320lbs – Why another DT?   Because the attrition is heavy there.  There are a lot of injuries and I want two guys in the rotation that can stuff the run and penetrate.  This guy has done both.   Risk on him is his laziness, but with our locker room I don’t see that happening.   Williams and Hardison are both more penetrators than run stuffers and neither of them are too impressive so far.  This guy is nasty and strong.  Having Butler and Valentine allows us to keep Peko and Geno fresh – especially in Denver.

6. Ka’imi Fairbairn – K – 5’11” 183 lbs – Borrowing from B-fine here.   We need a new kicker and this guy sounds great.  I’m tired of having really important games decided on the failure of our kickers to hit an extra darn point.

7. James Bradberry – CB – 6’1” 209lbs – Raw guy with great size, decent speed and really long arms.  Press corner project
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So 2 DT's, 3 LB's and a K. I've not seen Bradberry listed as a press corner, but as a SS.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2016, 04:02 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: So 2 DT's, 3 LB's and a K. I've not seen Bradberry listed as a press corner, but as a SS.

Probably not the most balanced, but Bradberry is not a LB and NFL.com lists him as a CB.  You might say there are 2 DTs and 3 hybrids - I'll give you that.   And I should have gone for a center - probably in the top 3 rounds.  We need to improve the running game as much as stopping the run.

But my focus was on stiffening our defense against the run, covering TEs and RBs and increasing the pass rush from both the interior and the edge.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote