Poll: Who are you starting the 2nd playoff game if McCarron wins the 1st?
McCarron
Dalton
Dalton, but if he plays bad, pull for McCarron
WHY OH WHY DID I BOTHER WITH THIS THREAD!!!
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What If McCarron wins the 1st playoff game?
Here is the bases of this question.

Macaroni plays well the rest of the season.
We get to the playoffs, and whether its the divisional round or the wild card round, Dalton is not ready.
McCarron actually leading a game winning driv, Or just playing lights out and wins us our first play off game. Not on the back of the defense.
Now add in Andy Dalton will be ready for the next week after.

Who are you starting for the 2nd game of the play offs? It could be the AFC TITLE game or the Divisional Round

Please tell us why
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote
I voted for McCarron but meant to vote for Dalton.
Reply/Quote
I want McCarron to succeed obviously. He's now the QB for my favorite team. It's a lose-lose for Dalton. If McCarron is the QB in the playoffs and the Bengals win, then the anti-Andy rhetoric is going to be horrible. Dalton has been a very good QB for this franchise and gets treated like shit already. If that were to happen, he'll be ran out of town by all of the asshole fans. On the flip side, if McCarron loses, there will be many, MANY excuses. People will make sure that we all know it's not McCarron's fault and the he should still be the starter over Andy because Andy is Andy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I voted option "Dalton, but if he plays bad, pull for McCarron*."

But it really depends on how well Dalton is playing with his injured thumb. If McCarron is lighting it up, having fun, relishing under pressure and upping the team's overall play, stick with AJ. If McCarron is Dilfer-ing his way to victories, then bring in Dalton ASAP. But I think you have to go with the "hot hand" especially if Dalton isn't at 100%.

BTW, I like both Andy and AJ, but in the end winning the Super Bowl trumps a favorite QB for me. It's business.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 08:00 PM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: Here is the bases of this question.

Macaroni plays well the rest of the season.
We get to the playoffs, and whether its the divisional round or the wild card round, Dalton is not ready.
McCarron actually leading a game winning driv, Or just playing lights out and wins us our first play off game. Not on the back of the defense.
Now add in Andy Dalton will be ready for the next week after.

Who are you starting for the 2nd game of the play offs? It could be the AFC TITLE game or the Divisional Round

Please tell us why

I just can't get enough of this macaroni!   Hilarious

Reply/Quote
Ever heard of Earl Morrall???

He is the backup that played for the 1972 Miami Dolphins during their undefeated season.

Bob Griese was the starter and played in the Super Bowl victory..

Don Shula would put Dalton back in, so I would too.

From his wiki

"Morrall built on that win to lead the team to the first undefeated regular season in the NFL since 1942 and only undefeated season ever, starting 11 out of 17 games that year. After notching a win in the team's first playoff game against the Cleveland Browns, Morrall struggled against the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC Championship game, leading to the return of Griese"
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 10:14 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I just can't get enough of this macaroni!   Hilarious

The seeming need for grade school nicknames never ceases to amaze me.....
Reply/Quote
You have to stick with the hot hand. It worked for New England in 2001. I wouldn't bench a quarterback who's undefeated in the playoffs for a guy who's 0-4.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 11:37 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ever heard of Earl Morrall???

He is the backup that played for the 1972 Miami Dolphins during their undefeated season.

Bob Griese was the starter and played in the Super Bowl victory..

Don Shula would put Dalton back in, so I would too.

From his wiki

"Morrall built on that win to lead the team to the first undefeated regular season in the NFL since 1942 and only undefeated season ever, starting 11 out of 17 games that year. After notching a win in the team's first playoff game against the Cleveland Browns, Morrall struggled against the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC Championship game, leading to the return of Griese"

.....you're preaching this to a lot of people who don't even know who these folks are....but I'm feelin' what you're sellin'.....gotta agree.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2015, 12:25 AM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: You have to stick with the hot hand. It worked for New England in 2001. I wouldn't bench a quarterback who's undefeated in the playoffs for a guy who's 0-4.

Didn't work well for San Fran. See how it's going with Kaepernick now?

Plus, there's a big difference between the two teams. The Patriots hadn't been to the playoffs since 1997. It was 2001 and Bledsoe hadn't had above a QB rating of 80.7 since 1998.

Let's not act like Bledsoe was having a MVP like season. The Patriots needed a quarterback. And they found one. Bledsoe wasn't the answer, and they found one in Brady.

Dalton is a franchise quarterback who is in his prime and was having a MVP type season. These two instances are nowhere near close to being the same.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
As much as I love Dalton and I am so happy for him and all he has accomplished this season, due to the nature of his injury, I voted McCarron.

If he actually gets the 2 seed and wins one game, I don't rock the boat and put in Dalton. His hand couldn't be the same strength in that short of time.
Reply/Quote
And I will say it right now, if McCarron gets them a Super Bowl win, I will get a tattoo that honors his accomplishment.

And I have no tattoos.
Reply/Quote
If Dalton is healthy he starts. I think it's foolish that people think AJ is going to come in and give us the same production that Dalton has so far this year. AJ is about to start his first game of his career while Andy has started 81 games in his career that's a huge difference in experience.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
If Macaroni really plays that well and we win it would be a no-brainer.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2015, 01:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And I will say it right now, if McCarron gets them a Super Bowl win, I will get a tattoo that honors his accomplishment.  

And I have no tattoos.

Face tattoo or Tramp stamp.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
If Dalton is healthy enough to get reps in practice he starts no matter what. I will say it would be tempting to start McCarron if he plays extremely well, wins a playoff game, and Dalton isn't able to practice.

If Dalton has a full week of practice, I play him no matter how well McCarron plays.
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2015, 02:31 AM)MrRager Wrote: If Dalton is healthy enough to get reps in practice he starts no matter what. I will say it would be tempting to start McCarron if he plays extremely well, wins a playoff game, and Dalton isn't able to practice.

If Dalton has a full week of practice, I play him no matter how well McCarron plays.

This is the logical answer.
If Andy is healthy enough not to be a detriment he is the guy. period.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2015, 03:37 AM)Junglejuice Wrote: This is the logical answer.
If Andy is healthy enough not to be a detriment he is the guy. period.

Agreed because you'll get players (and fans) who would start having doubts the second McCarron makes a mistake, which you can say will happen with Dalton, also, but the players would know how Dalton has played all season and what they've looked like in practice games.

That might be different if McCarron comes out and looks like Joe Montana throwing the ball, but Dalton has put it all on the field, so if he looks full-go in practice and is back to normal, then you have to go with him.

That's another thing that will be a big tell is practice because it's not like they just line-up on Sunday after not doing anything all week and just wing it.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2015, 12:51 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Didn't work well for San Fran. See how it's going with Kaepernick now?

Plus, there's a big difference between the two teams. The Patriots hadn't been to the playoffs since 1997. It was 2001 and Bledsoe hadn't had above a QB rating of 80.7 since 1998.

Let's not act like Bledsoe was having a MVP like season. The Patriots needed a quarterback. And they found one. Bledsoe wasn't the answer, and they found one in Brady.

Dalton is a franchise quarterback who is in his prime and was having a MVP type season. These two instances are nowhere near close to being the same.

San Francisco nearly won two super bowls by sticking with the hot hand. Andy is having a good year but you can't bench the guy who gave you your first playoff win in over 20 years for an 0-4 playoff qb, period. If the Bengals go to a super bowl and a championship with AJ like the 49ers did with Kaepernick will you still say that Andy deserves to start over him?
Reply/Quote
This is crazy. Dalton was having an MVP caliber season, practically all year he has been leading the NFL in passer rating. If the Doctors clear him, and he can properly grip the ball, then this is his team and he starts.

Bringing up Alex Smith or Drew Bledsoe are not even close to appropriate comparisons. Smith had made a career of under achieving in San Francisco and Harbaugh did not like him (he wanted Kaepernick and the two of them got close right after the draft). As others have stated, Bledsoe was much older and on the decline. Each situation has to be viewed in its proper context... Dalton starts.
Reply/Quote