Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Is Different and Is It Enough?
Ken Zampese has a year under his belt. Hopefully he gets better and helps this red zone offense.

The offensive line is the biggest question mark we've had in years. Our leadership on that line is Boling and Andre Smith.....and Smith is learning OG.

They actually added youth to the LB corp we've needed.

AJ Green finally has someone on the other side of him that can take pressure off of him. I know a lot of people like Jones, but he was only our #2 WR for two years.

Mixon allows our offense to be more steady, as teams won't know whether he's catching out of the backfield or going to run it.

Health.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2017, 03:27 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I'm not very optimistic about 2017. I feel if we have a good year, we may end up 8-8 just out of the playoffs. We need another year to develop some of our new talent. Look out for 2018.
The missing ingredient is coaching. Has been and will be.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 03:41 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: We lost a couple of good coaches in 2016 (Joseph and Jackson) and we had seven coaches in new positions including offensive coordinator.  These guys now have a full year’s experience working together, which I expect will be an improvement.

I think this is really huge. These coaches got their feet wet, now lets see how much they improve.
Reply/Quote
I'd be satisfied with coaches properly using the players they have, and playing them to their strengths. I'd be satisfied if coaches would quickly make changes when something clearly isn't working, and not ass around for half the season. I'd be satisfied if I didn't have to read of a happy, carefree locker room full of players farting around with Pokemon Go and playing ping-pong after numerous losses. It doesn't take much to make me happy with the Bengals. It doesn't take much for me to get annoyed with 'em, either.

Oh, and injuries...that's the Great Unknown.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 02:11 PM)Quantum Bengal Wrote: Every year is a fresh start.  Will it be enough, who knows.  I do know I never thought the Falcons would be in the SB this year.  We have a chance at being that surprise team.  I tend to lean on the positive, but it CAN be enough (can and will are very different words)

I did and they would have won it, had their coach just ran the football in the 4th Quarter.  It still makes me leary about the NFL 'fixing' stuff.

Not saying that Matt Ryan intentionally threw the pick, my question is why were they passing the ball at that point?  

Back on topic, if I were a betting man, and was one who refused to let fan loyalty stand in my way of making money, I would bet the farm that the Bengals shoot themselves in the foot just like they have every year since 1991.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2017, 12:33 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Hey folks, I am making a rare cameo appearance, since it's the off season, and since moving from the fourth row 50 yard line to the upper deck!

I'm looking forward to August and seeing how things unfold and will watch, root, and follow, when I can, just doing so without the NFL Ticket.

My question is this;

What, if anything, is different about this year, opposed to any of the other seasons since 2011?

For those that think this year is different that leads to my next question;

With Brown and Lewis still at the helm, will the differences be enough and why?

The rookies and FA additions and the FA subtractions are the obvious. But, I love to see how the 2nd and 3rd year players improve from their rookie or 2nd season. I have my eyes on Ced and Fisher at OT, Core and Erickson at WR, Jackson at CB, Billings, Clarke and Hardison on the DL. Vigil at LB.

I think if we can get these guys or at least some of them to make great leaps, we can be a very good football team
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 11:30 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I did and they would have won it, had their coach just ran the football in the 4th Quarter.  It still makes me leary about the NFL 'fixing' stuff.

Not saying that Matt Ryan intentionally threw the pick, my question is why were they passing the ball at that point?  

Back on topic, if I were a betting man, and was one who refused to let fan loyalty stand in my way of making money, I would bet the farm that the Bengals shoot themselves in the foot just like they have every year since 1991.

Would you bet the farm if the odds were 1.75 to 2.00 or $1.75 for every $2.00 you bet because that would be the odds based on us always shooting ourselves in the foot.

But once in a while that 5 to 1 dog comes so I will go this year with the Bengals and the better odds to end their playoff drought. I normally don't predict anything and if so not until after camp so this is not the norm for me to go out on a limb and especially this early.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 12:27 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Would you bet the farm if the odds were 1.75 to 2.00 or $1.75 for every $2.00 you bet because that would be the odds based on us always shooting ourselves in the foot.

But once in a while that 5 to 1 dog comes so I will go this year with the Bengals and the better odds to end their playoff drought. I normally don't predict anything and if so not until after camp so this is not the norm for me to go out on a limb and especially this early.

Odds would make no difference.

I don't need to wait for anything.  I have history on my side.  Players and coaches have come and gone many times over since 1991, but the constant has been Mike Brown.

We will be back here, sometime in late December, if not before, saying how disappointed we are .... again!!

I would love to be wrong, but think not.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 01:29 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Odds would make no difference.

I don't need to wait for anything.  I have history on my side.  Players and coaches have come and gone many times over since 1991, but the constant has been Mike Brown.

We will be back here, sometime in late December, if not before, saying how disappointed we are .... again!!

Fair enough, but huge difference than thinking you will win or betting the farm you will win. I see it all the time playing poker, that time of reality throwing in $2000 in the pot (all in) when you think you may have the best hand has folded many a player like a lawn chair.

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 01:29 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Odds would make no difference.

I still truly believe that if the young OT's hold up and we are not decimated by injuries this is by far the best team Marv
has had in all three phases and probably the best this team has ever had as well. On Offense, Defense and ST's this team
is now young, fast and more physical than ever IMHO.

Could carry Marv's lame ass you never know and surprise us.

MB's lame ass as well.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 02:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I still truly believe that if the young OT's hold up and we are not decimated by injuries this is by far the best team Marv
has had in all three phases and probably the best this team has ever had as well. On Offense, Defense and ST's this team

MB's lame ass as well.

This not only will help this year, but it will be great for next year. Imagine if Ogbuehi and Fisher pan out this year and the Bengals can retain Burfict, Minter, and Eifert?
That would only leave 1-2 OL spots needing to be solidified. Just one if Bodine actually takes a step forward and is re-signed. None if Westerman or Redmond proves solid at RG once Andre is done. The draft will really be opened up next year if any of these OL question marks no longer is a question mark.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Those that say offensive line is worse are assuming that Andre Smith, Og, and Fisher are static in their development and the line will not be as good or even worse.

Maybe those fans are correct. But I'm optimistic OG Smith and Fisher will all improve this year. I also think that Mixon with his running style will help.

The defense was already respectable. This year with players like Burfict, WJ3, Billings, Lawson, Willis, and maybe a healthy Dennard will make the defense darn right scary.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 02:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I still truly believe that if the young OT's hold up and we are not decimated by injuries this is by far the best team Marv

MB's lame ass as well.

I'm 'hoping' right along with you Nate, I just don't believe it.

Anything but shooting themselves in the foot would definitely be a pleasant surprise!
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 01:51 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Fair enough, but huge difference than thinking you will win or betting the farm you will win. I see it all the time playing poker, that time of reality throwing in $2000 in the pot (all in) when you think you may have the best hand has folded many a player like a lawn chair.

We will continue this conversation in late December.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2017, 03:27 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I'm not very optimistic about 2017. I feel if we have a good year, we may end up 8-8 just out of the playoffs. We need another year to develop some of our new talent. Look out for 2018.

With all of the drafts Marvin has led and all the talent acquired and "developed" (?), why in Hell can't the Bengals ever be a better team? (including '05 and'15) I think I answered my own question. If that's the case, then don't even say the word Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 06:34 PM)Derrick Wrote: With all of the drafts Marvin has led and all the talent acquired and "developed" (?), why in Hell can't the Bengals ever be a better team? (including '05 and'15) I think I answered my own question. If that's the case, then don't even say the word Super Bowl.

MIKE BROWN
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 04:01 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Those that say offensive line is worse are assuming that Andre Smith, Og, and Fisher are static in their development and the line will not be as good or even worse.  

Maybe those fans are correct.  But I'm optimistic OG Smith and Fisher will all improve this year.  I also think that Mixon with his running style will help.  

The defense was already respectable.  This year with players like Burfict, WJ3, Billings, Lawson, Willis, and maybe a healthy Dennard will make the defense darn right scary.

Like I mentioned previously, there is much more to be excited for with this team, than there is to be pessimistic.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We've lost our old on the field leaders on Offense and Defense. Perhaps Geno or Carlos step up and take the reins as they no longer have to defer to Peko. Perhaps Andre takes charge of the oline.

We got a new kicker. How many games has our kicker lost us over the past few years?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 04:01 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Those that say offensive line is worse are assuming that Andre Smith, Og, and Fisher are static in their development and the line will not be as good or even worse.  

Maybe those fans are correct.  But I'm optimistic OG Smith and Fisher will all improve this year.  I also think that Mixon with his running style will help.  

The defense was already respectable.  This year with players like Burfict, WJ3, Billings, Lawson, Willis, and maybe a healthy Dennard will make the defense darn right scary.

Really like this, Doc. 

I will add that the line will be improved by simply having the likes of Ross, Core, and Malone on the field.  Defenses MUST account for that.  If both safeties are not playing back, they will get torched.  This helps the rushing attack and the line at the same time.  

Dalton threw for 4,250 yards and 7 INTs last season with a make-shift line and his best weapon for a few games was Brandon LaFell.  I can't wait to see what he can do this season.

Completely agree about the defense as well.  I think it is almost instantly a Top 5 unit with a healthy and motivated Burfict (yes, I think that much of him) but when you include guys like Billings, WJIII, Willis, Lawson, and Minter as replacing guys like Peko, Dansby, and Maualuga, this team got faster and stronger overnight. 

I honestly don't know what the so-called weakness of the defense would be right now.  On offense, the concern is generally the line or, more specifically, LT.  On defense, I just don't see it.  It was the NT position, LBs that were slow and old, and uncertainty about Dre.  Not this year.  
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2017, 12:43 AM)bfine32 Wrote: We've lost our old on the field leaders on Offense and Defense. Perhaps Geno or Carlos step up and take the reins as they no longer have to defer to Peko. Perhaps Andre takes charge of the oline.

We got a new kicker. How many games has our kicker lost us over the past few years?

Losing Whit and Peko are big - especially Whit.   Peko was an emotional leader, but did not always make the best decisions (especially and inexplicably the infamous playoff game).  Still I think we have underestimated Peko's value - especially if he is in a deep rotation.   I don't think that apologists like Guenther, Lewis (who Cincinnati fans have grossly underestimated) and Zimmer sing his praises for no reason.  And I doubt Denver is going to sign him in free agency for no reason either.

But the big loss is Whit - both in terms of leadership, at which he truly excelled, and his top 5 anchoring of the blind side.  I'm hearing good things about Og in the underwear sessions, but Whit was a sure thing, even if he started a decline this year.

I think we'll be better off with any of the kickers we end up with.   I'm a Bullock fan really.   He's got a good leg, good accuracy and is a tough player who will put a lick on someone if he has to tackle - or at least not be a china doll injury risk.  And the Elliot guy's reliability for extra points and short field goals is appealing, as is his lightning quick leg motion.

I think we have a good chance to be a much better team this year.  The only fly in the ointment is whether our tackles (particularly Og) can show up - and stay healthy.
Reply/Quote