Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Really Happens When You Use the R-Word
I know I used it as a kid back in the 80s & 90s around friends. Usually just joking around like, "Dont be a ****** dude", or "thats ******** man". Things like that. I dont think I ever used it in a negative attack on someone, let alone ever made fun of someone that was mentally handicapped. Heck I even got into a fight in the 5th grade for sticking up for a down syndrome kid in my grade at recess.

But in my defense for back then, that was a time when there was a lot less pc and 'no no' words today were much more acceptable. Like the F word that rhymes with maggot. That was socially acceptable to use back in the 80s. Just go watch one of Eddie Murphy's stand up routines from back then. If a comic nowadays tried to do those routines from Eddie, he would be crucified.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-03-2017, 12:26 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I never said that you did.   I was saying that you, unlike others, do just come out and say when you do not agree with any language used by me or any other poster and then leave it at that without belaboring the point.  

I was giving you a compliment but if you decide to take it the other way then do be it.

We don't always agree but you are at least consistent.  And that I can respect

My fault...I read that last sentence the wrong way. I guess I always jump into 'argument mode' in my interactions with you on here. 

I never once thought that you could be saying something positive, which is a pretty bad thing on my part....so you have my apologies. 
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

****** is a word I use often in it's proper context and is a very useful word. It is a shame folks look at it and immediately think insult
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(10-03-2017, 01:12 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: My fault...I read that last sentence the wrong way. I guess I always jump into 'argument mode' in my interactions with you on here. 

I never once thought that you could be saying something positive, which is a pretty bad thing on my part....so you have my apologies. 

No worries mate. I enjoy our interactions on here.
My girlfriend at the time, current wife now, quickly got me to quit saying the 'R' word. She is or was a social worker here in Iowa and her whole clientele were these folks. Now that I threw that word out of my vocabulary, I hear it a lot more and cringe every time it's spoken around us. I'be even stopped hanging around my more crass friends that use it everyday to describe or put down others.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(10-03-2017, 12:54 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: You were saying?

I was saying exactly what you just quoted...

"they are (at all times)" modifies that preceding clause of "as they are now commonly used". 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(10-03-2017, 12:12 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: Here is my biggest beef with the piece. It claims that ****** is ALWAYS used as a put down when in fact it isn't. Anyone ever heard the term fire retardant? Is that a put down? I have also read numerous medical and scientific articles that use the words ****** and inhibit interchangeably.

Just because the author doesn't like the word doesn't mean that there are not legitimate uses that are not derogatory. If all it took was a few people to think a particular word was demeaning then we would no longer beable to call people democrats and instead have to call them politically challenged persons.

(10-03-2017, 12:49 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The author said "commonly used" not "exclusively used".

(10-03-2017, 12:54 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: You were saying?

I've yet to have heard anyone (intentionally or otherwise) call anyone a retardant. It's also apples and oranges to the discussion of whether a term from 20+ years ago — now often used as a derogatory term to belittle someone's mental capacity — is acceptable. If I call you retardant or speak of your ability to ****** fire, I'm not talking about your ability to think.

There is no usage of the term ****** where it is not derogatory, unless you are specifically talking about someone's ability to repel fire.
(10-03-2017, 02:38 PM)Benton Wrote: I've yet to have heard anyone (intentionally or otherwise) call anyone a retardant. It's also apples and oranges to the discussion of whether a term from 20+ years ago — now often used as a derogatory term to belittle someone's mental capacity — is acceptable. If I call you retardant or speak of your ability to ****** fire, I'm not talking about your ability to think.

There is no usage of the term ****** where it is not derogatory, unless you are specifically talking about someone's ability to repel fire.

"Every time I see you fight a fire, you look like a total ******."
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(10-03-2017, 02:38 PM)Benton Wrote: I've yet to have heard anyone (intentionally or otherwise) call anyone a retardant. It's also apples and oranges to the discussion of whether a term from 20+ years ago — now often used as a derogatory term to belittle someone's mental capacity — is acceptable. If I call you retardant or speak of your ability to ****** fire, I'm not talking about your ability to think.

McGinley also specified that he is referring to "two words" ("******" and "********"), so the particular complaint about the word "retardant" wouldn't apply. 

Isn't every derogatory word used to put down someone else disparaging to a group of people?

You might be wondering how using the word "Asshole" as an insult may be disparaging to a group of people. It can be used to describe intellectuals or those who think they know it all. What about sociopaths or people who lack empathy like myself? I have no control over it but really don't care though so forget about it.
(10-03-2017, 02:41 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: McGinley also specified that he is referring to "two words" ("******" and "********"), so the particular complaint about the word "retardant" wouldn't apply. 

Since the root word of retardant is ****** I would say it does especially since the author seems to think that in no way shape or form is the word ****** acceptable at any time. 
(10-03-2017, 03:46 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: Since the root word of retardant is ****** I would say it does especially since the author seems to think that in no way shape or form is the word ****** acceptable at any time. 

Well, he says "two word" and specifies those two words. You're also misrepresenting what he said.

(10-03-2017, 03:46 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: Since the root word of retardant is ****** I would say it does especially since the author seems to think that in no way shape or form is the word ****** acceptable at any time. 

I would urge you to walk into your bosses office and call him a ******. You can explain to the person at the unemployment office how you were only talking about his ability to hold back a fire.
(10-03-2017, 02:38 PM)Benton Wrote: There is no usage of the term ****** where it is not derogatory, unless you are specifically talking about someone's ability to repel fire.

Your new mandate to require the forms be signed by the Division Chiefs greatly retards the process.

(10-03-2017, 04:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Your new mandate to require the forms be signed by the Division Chiefs greatly retards the process.

At which point are you referencing a person?

Again, if you're calling a person a ******, it's going to come across as a slight. 
Simply amazing the hoops people will jump through to justify their usage of a word that is clearly an insult when directed at a person or thing.

Amazing.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Why do conservatives get so bent out of shape when you suggest to them that deliberately trying to offend someone is a bad thing?

If you dudes want to talk like this, have at it. If you want to walk around calling people "retards", do your thing. No one is trying to take your freedom of speech away here. Just don't get upset that people look at you like you like you're a douche. Be civilized. It's not difficult to try not to be offensive.

If I say something that is offensive to you, call me out on it. I'll most likely try to do better next time. I don't see what the big deal is about it.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(10-03-2017, 04:15 PM)Benton Wrote: At which point are you referencing a person?

Again, if you're calling a person a ******, it's going to come across as a slight. 

Without a doubt and that is why I said it is unfortunate.

(10-03-2017, 04:32 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Why do conservatives get so bent out of shape when you suggest to them that deliberately trying to offend someone is a bad thing?

If you dudes want to talk like this, have at it.  If you want to walk around calling people "retards", do your thing.  No one is trying to take your freedom of speech away here.  Just don't get upset that people look at you like you like you're a douche.  Be civilized.  It's not difficult to try not to be offensive.

If I say something that is offensive to you, call me out on it.  I'll most likely try to do better next time.  I don't see what the big deal is about it.

When you say deliberately trying to offend someone, who do you mean?  The person you call ******?  Absolutely.  Mentally disabled people?  No.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Since the author says only the words ****** and ******** should never be used you guys will be ok with retards then right? I can't say Nancy Pelosi is a ****** but all democrats are retards is ok. Gotcha