Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Reds Are On Your Non MLB HOF 25 Man Roster ??
IT IS INDEED BASEBALL SEASON....The weeks leading up to All-Star Game......So I challenge you to come up with a 25 man roster of your best non Hall Of Fame Players....They must be retired from baseball 5 years....I suggest at least a 10 man pitching staff of 5 starters and relievers. Fill all fielding spots of course. ....There are some interesting player careers not in HOF, and a few are Reds. ....Give it a try....I'm pretty sure you can create a great 25 man team of non HOF players. ....I'm going to work on mine and see who I come up with. ....You can most indeed use Negro League Players not in HOF, kept out of MLB due to racism, and Jackie Robinson, Willie Mays, Hank AaRon, Bob Gibson and others are the only stat you need to know Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson, Cool Papa Bell and many others could flat out play. NY Giants Manager John McGraw had a list of Negro League players he wished he had on his team. .......Or you can just use MLB players....I'm sure you can come up with 25 great players NOT in HOF that make a solid team......If you want to forgive Joe Jackson and Pete Rose and Steroid Players, add them. It's your list.

I've got my PITCHING STAFF :
Starter One - Right Hand - ROGER CLEMENS - 354 wins - 3.12 ERA - 4672 K's
Starter Two - Left Hand - TOMMY JOHN - 288 wins - 3.34 ERA - 2245 K's
Starter Three - Right Hand - MIKE MUSSINA - 270 wins - 3.68 ERA - 2813 K's
Starter Four - Left Hand - JIM KAAT - 283 wins - 3.45 ERA - 2461 K's
Starter Five - Right Hand - JACK MORRIS - 254 wins - 3.90 ERA - 2478 K's

Closer - Right Hand - TREVOR HOFFMAN - 601 saves - 2.87 ERA - 1133 K's
Set Up - Left Hand - BILLY WAGNER - 422 saves - 2.31 ERA - 1196 K's
Relief Long or Short - Right Hand - CANNONBALL DICK REDDING - Negro Leagues - Compared to Walter Johnson. Could pitch 2 to 3 games in a row. Often pitched both games of doubleheader
Relief Long or Short - Left Hand - JOHN DONALDSON - Negro Leagues - Considered best left hand pitcher in Negro Leagues. MLB Manager Legend John McGraw said The Best Pitcher he ever saw.
10th Pitcher - CURT SCHILLING - Right Hand- Why Not. 216 wins, 3116 K's, 3.46 ERA and even 22 saves, so why not add Curt Schilling.

It's going to take some kind of great pitching to face the Hall Of Fame Batters, and these are the best I can find. I decided to add the 2 best Negro League pitchers not in HOF to the bullpen They give great long innings or short inning options.

I've now got my 15 HITTERS AND DEFENSE POSITION PLAYERS. I'm not going with Negro Leagues but I wish I had a spot for Buck O'Neill at least.
My Starting 8 is defense as well as offense

Catcher - BILL FREEHAN - Many times an All-Star and Many Times Gold Glove.
First Base - RAFAEL PALMEIRO - Gold Gloves and Great Batting Stats
Second Base - LOU WHITAKER - Gold Gloves and a good hitting second base.
Short Stop - DAVE CONCEPCION - Gold Gloves and many times an All-Star. Over 2,000 hits. I want that defense at short.
Third Base - GRAIG NETTLES - Gold Gloves. Could hit but almost as good as Brooks Robinson on defense.
Left Field - BARRY BONDS - Gold Gloves and Great Hitter.
Center Field - FRED LYNN - This center fielder had Gold Gloves and could hit.
Right Field - DWIGHT EVANS - This right fielder had Gold Gloves and could hit.

My Bench or Starters
Catcher- LANCE PARRISH - Gold Gloves, God Hitting Stats
Short Stop - BERT CAMPANERIS - Gold Gloves, Could hit, A lot of Stolen Bases.
Center Field - VADA PINSON - Was very good on defense, could hit, had some power, stolen bases. As a Reds Fan edges out Al Oliver
Right Field - SAMMY SOSA - No gold gloves, but all those Home Runs.
First Base - MARK McGWIRE - No gold gloves, but all those Home Runs.
Left Field - SHOE LESS JOE JACKSON - I let back in one of best hitters ever while letting in PETE
PETE ROSE -Second, Third, Left, Right, First, Center, Short Utility Man - PETE ROSE - Gold Glove in OF, All-Time Hit Leader. Charlie Hustle.

So JIM KAAT pitched at end for Reds, but mostly the Reds are PETE ROSE, DAVE CONCEPCION, VADA PINSON. ...PETE and DAVEY were automatic. I'm taking VADA because he was good on defense, I saw that, but he played while Willie Mays won Gold Glove every year. VADA could do it all and
bat in middle of order, hits, power, speed.

For a MANAGER is see BILLY MARTIN not in Hall Of Fame and Yankees won in !977 and 1978 under him. This team beating HOF Players may take some BILLY BALL SMALL BALL.

SO REDS ON MY ALL-TIME NON HALL OF FAME TEAM ARE : Easily PETE ROSE and DAVE CONCEPCION and VADA PINSON one of best center fielders ever not in HOF....and JIM KAAT did pitch for REDS in mid 1980's.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote