Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Type Of Backup QB Do Yo Want?
Tiger

Now lets face it in the game of football injuries do happen whether its offseason or in games they happen! Its a given. Is this team ready for a season ending situation with Joe?
Who's the next man up... I truly believe that this has to be the year to not only draft a guy but to pick up a proven veteran. Thoughts..These are a few mid to late rounders that I like coming out in the 2023 draft.

Aidan O Connell QB Purdue
https://youtu.be/cfYHe_inOmE

Hendon Hooker QB Tennessee
https://youtu.be/4QpOW9vVbRo

Jake Haener QB Fresno State
https://youtu.be/m4Fc6Ru1jRc

* Dorian Thompson Robinson QB UCLA
https://youtu.be/FvpXUhXgalo

I know I left prospects like Max off the list but I couldn't list them all. WE NEED AN ADEQUATE BACKUP IN 2023!

I get that you don't want to hear it in April but It could very well cost us a season. Its the harsh reality to the cold fact of football. Well this could never happen to us & Joe.
Well lets just say this If I'm the only on thinking about this April 7th of 2023 them we're in trouble.
Reply/Quote
I would’ve loved Cooper Rush and i would’ve went up to like 6 Mil to get him.

Would’ve liked Baker but he wants to start and i wouldn’t have went up to what he got from Tampa.

Would’ve LOVED Andy Dalton back. Would LOVE Mike White.

I’d actually love Jameis Winston too. Garner Minshew would be great too.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 11:44 PM)Housh Wrote: I would’ve loved Cooper Rush and i would’ve went up to like 6 Mil to get him.

Would’ve liked Baker but he wants to start and i wouldn’t have went up to what he got from Tampa.

Would’ve LOVED Andy Dalton back. Would LOVE Mike White.

I’d actually love Jameis Winston too. Garner Minshew would be great too.

Cooper Rush is crap
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm fine with Siemien, Wentz is getting more than they'll offer, but seriously what about Matt Ryan? He's on his last legs but still a shoe in for completing 65% and may hold a clip board to win a ring (if he doesn't retire).

I'd rather not depend on a rookie to be the guy. The qb class is rough, and though you always are looking for a diamond in the rough, don't depend on finding one. The 49ers didn't take Purdy knowing he'd be the backup and eventual starter. Hooker is going to be gone, and everytime picks come up in those simulators there are too many BPAs that aren't QBs. We can stand to double down at TE, RB and maybe even DB. Get the known vet that can check down and let the playmakers make plays.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 12:41 AM)phil413 Wrote: I'm fine with Siemien, Wentz is getting more than they'll offer, but seriously what about Matt Ryan? He's on his last legs but still a shoe in for completing 65% and may hold a clip board to win a ring (if he doesn't retire).  

I'd rather not depend on a rookie to be the guy.  The qb class is rough, and though you always are looking for a diamond in the rough, don't depend on finding one.  The 49ers didn't take Purdy knowing he'd be the backup and eventual starter.  Hooker is going to be gone, and everytime picks come up in those simulators there are too many BPAs that aren't QBs.  We can stand to double down at TE, RB and maybe even DB.  Get the known vet that can check down and let the playmakers make plays.

Matt Ryan was pegged a started just last year so I would assume he still sees himself as that type of play and will want/command high end back up money. I would like him as a back up but not sure we have the cash. 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 01:13 AM)TheFan Wrote: Matt Ryan was pegged a started just last year so I would assume he still sees himself as that type of play and will want/command high end back up money. I would like him as a back up but not sure we have the cash. 

Don't always get what you want, at this point, if every team that needs a starter has passed on him, then it might be time to become a back up on a 1 yr deal for a good team, that way if something happens, he can still show he's got it. Every day that goes by at this point, his options are becoming more of a do you want a pay check or not?
Reply/Quote
With Burrow cemented as our starting QB, I don't see any QB coming out of college interested in just being a backup. I would rather go the veteran route. The question is what veteran wants to be just a backup? Maybe pay him enough to sit the bench.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
A mobile one.  You can get by a few games if needed with a QB that has great mobility.  So, I would make CTB the backup QB.  I heard his HS stats were insane.  
Reply/Quote
Don’t draft a QB. Plenty of vets out there looking for a job.
Reply/Quote
No need to draft a guy. Just need a veteran who knows his role and can step in when needed. Simean would be fine, or someone of the same ilk. No drama but someone who can complete a pass and not be overwhelmed by the situation.
Reply/Quote
A poor man's Joe Burrow. Similar size and mobility, likely much less arm and processing.
Reply/Quote
The kind that never has to play.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 05:33 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Don't always get what you want, at this point, if every team that needs a starter has passed on him, then it might be time to become a back up on a 1 yr deal for a good team, that way if something happens, he can still show he's got it. Every day that goes by at this point, his options are becoming more of a do you want a pay check or not?

Oh I don't disagree and certainly don't see him as being a starter anymore. If he was willing to take a few mil I think we should sign him but I'm not sure what he's looking for. 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 11:18 AM)WrongVerb Wrote: A poor man's Joe Burrow. Similar size and mobility, likely much less arm and processing.

Basically what I said in the other thread: day 3 draft or UDFA a guy who is Burrow-lite, similar size, similar skills, comes from a similar offense and is used to the weather in the AFC North.

We don't need a veteran.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Teddy’s name used to come up around here

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 10:41 AM)Danimal Wrote: No need to draft a guy. Just need a veteran who knows his role and can step in when needed. Simean would be fine, or someone of the same ilk. No drama but someone who can complete a pass and not be overwhelmed by the situation.

If a guy like Stu Bennett magically lasts to round 6 or 7 maybe him but besides that I’d prefer not a draft a QB because he’s simply not gonna get developed here with Burrow

We need a vet whose already developed himself and knows what kind of passer he is
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 12:41 AM)phil413 Wrote: I'm fine with Siemien, Wentz is getting more than they'll offer, but seriously what about Matt Ryan? He's on his last legs but still a shoe in for completing 65% and may hold a clip board to win a ring (if he doesn't retire).  

I'd rather not depend on a rookie to be the guy.  The qb class is rough, and though you always are looking for a diamond in the rough, don't depend on finding one.  The 49ers didn't take Purdy knowing he'd be the backup and eventual starter.  Hooker is going to be gone, and everytime picks come up in those simulators there are too many BPAs that aren't QBs.  We can stand to double down at TE, RB and maybe even DB.  Get the known vet that can check down and let the playmakers make plays.

This. I do like Max Duggan in this draft but he probably goes early, haven't looked into where QB's will be drafted much at all this year.

Sign Siemian and I am good at backup QB.
Reply/Quote
Well at this point now in Taylors tenure this is the best personal we have had and might be one of the best balanced teams ever. I leaning to try to get a bit more game experienced backup... This team now can compete without Burrow especially in a window of 3 to 5 games... so im ok spending a bit more on a backup... so I go Bridgewater and Gabbert maybe take a look at Flacco after you see if he has any arm left..
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 12:12 PM)jj22 Wrote: Teddy’s name used to come up around here

You know that's who I want 100%

Bridgewater would bring a slew of fan support from Louisville as well that may even pay for most of his contract.  Dude can dissect defenses with the best of them and is a perfect back up QB. Just don't know about the cap hit, but if Bengals are moving on from Mixon, Jonah or both, it works easily.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
One that we never see unless we're resting burrow because we've locked up the number one seed.
Reply/Quote