Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Vegas and the National Media is not talking about
(08-24-2022, 12:35 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Ok but it does not change the fact that the Bengals did better than the Bills when facing quality teams no matter what part of the season. Plus just by the eye test I believe the bengals definitely had as hard of schedule, if not harder.

Surprised you claim differently

I think you misunderstood. I caused that by quoting you not Fred. I’m claiming the same. The Bengals improved and were playing very strong at the end of the year. FredToast is trying to use the stats for the entire year. That’s fine but I believe the last half of the season the Bengals were much better. The defense played KC statistically much better than the Bills. The Bengals were 6-2 the last 8 games ( minus Cleveland). And…. they played 5 playoff teams.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 12:44 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think you misunderstood. I caused that by quoting you not Fred. I’m claiming the same. The Bengals improved and were playing very strong at the end of the year. FredToast is trying to use the stats for the entire year. That’s fine but I believe the last half of the season the Bengals were much better. The defense played KC statistically much better than the Bills. The Bengals were 6-2 the last 8 games ( minus Cleveland). And…. they played 5 playoff teams.

Sorry my mistake
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 01:00 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Sorry my mistake

It was all mine
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 09:30 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Some of that may have to do with Taylor coming from Mcvay coaching tree no guaranteed starter has played this season on offense or defense

Yeah I don't get people saying we were lucky with injuries. We had more guys down before the season last year in Ossai.

This year we have everybody.

Last year tons of guys got hurt and we had both Burrow and Hopkins coming off of ACL injuries and weren't even close to 100%
until late in the year. Tons of guys played hurt in the Postseason too, Burrow (broken finger) Logan, Spain, Adeniji, Tee etc.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 01:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah I don't get people saying we were lucky with injuries. We had more guys down before the season last year in Ossai.

This year we have everybody.

Last year tons of guys got hurt and we had both Burrow and Hopkins coming off of ACL injuries and weren't even close to 100%
until late in the year. Tons of guys played hurt in the Postseason too, Burrow (broken finger) Logan, Spain, Adeniji, Tee etc.

Agree and if the Bengals were lucky then they were very unlucky for many years and were finally due.

Don't even want to think about all the 1st round draft picks we've had injured in previous years.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 06:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ahhh, now I understand why "after 13 games" was so important to you. It's because he was the only time we were out of the playoffs. After 10 games we were in the playoffs, after 11 games we were in the playoffs, after 12 games we were in the playoffs, after 14 games we were in the playoffs and stayed there.

So Fred logic = After 13 games we were tie-breakers out of the playoffs and it was the only time , so it's a fluke we made the playoffs

...and you wonder why folks think you're trolling. 

Well obviously you failed to go back and see how many people mention our 6-2 finish that got us to the Super Bowl.

So if everyone who draws a line after our 7-6 start is a troll then I have a hell of a lot of company.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 02:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Well obviously you failed to go back and see how many posts address our 6-2 finish.

We never finished the season 6-2. Not counting the Browns game, we finished the season 5-2 last year.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 02:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Well obviously you failed to go back and see how many posts address our 6-2 finish.

So if everyone who draws a line after our 7-6 start is a troll then I have a hell of a lot of company.

You are what you are. If the Bengals had finished lackluster in the last 8 games your mantra would be more in tune. Teams improve its as simple as that. They learned how to win, Joe got more healthy, and the defense played well the last 8 games. It’s not hard Fred. You don’t see it like the rest of us because you don’t like Zac. It’s okay when the Bengals play well again you’ll find something to complain about.?

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 02:28 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You are what you are. If the Bengals had finished lackluster in the last 8 games your mantra would be more in tune. Teams improve its as simple as that. They learned how to win, Joe got more healthy, and the defense played well the last 8 games. It’s not hard Fred. You don’t see it like the rest of us because you don’t like Zac. It’s okay when the Bengals play well again you’ll find something to complain about.?

I guess I fail to see how a team that was in the playoff hunt all year (never more than 1 game out I believe) who played their best ball at the end of the season, beat the #1 and #2 seeds in the playoffs and lost that Superbowl by a whisker equals "Fluke". But of course, we don't know the definition of fluke. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 02:06 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No more than any other team in the league.

Chase and McPherson were great from game one.  All of our coaches have years of experience.  So, no, I don't see them getting better suddenly in the middle of the season.

Teams can get better during the season for many reasons...players gelling, better execution, improved game planning, more players stepping up, getting healthier, etc, etc, etc. Teams can also get get worse in-season if the opposite things start happening.

To say you don't see a team getting better during the course season is just a very odd take.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 02:28 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You don’t see it like the rest of us because you don’t like Zac. 

I see it the way the rest of the NFL world sees it.

I see it the same way all of you would see it if another team had done exactly what the Bengals did last year.

When a team that hasn't won in a while gets hot and wins a few games on the final play any NFL fan would agree that it at least looks like a fluke. Especially when that team played one of the easiest schedules in the league.

The only fans who don't see it that way is the teams own fan base.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 03:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I see it the way the rest of the NFL world sees it.

I see it the same way all of you would see it if another team had done exactly what the Bengals did last year.

When a team that hasn't won in a while gets hot and wins a few games on the final play any NFL fan would agree that it at least looks like a fluke. Especially when that team played one of the easiest schedules in the league.

Well like I said the Bengals finished 6-2 ( minus the Cleveland game when they didn’t play the starters). You did disregarding their solid play in the last 8 games and 5 playoff teams shows your bias against Zac and his staff. No problem it’s blatantly obvious

Reply/Quote
I wouldn't call the Bengals last year a "fluke" per se, just lucky. Which you need in the playoffs to win. The Rams certainly had luck on their side to make the big game. We got lucky bounces against Tennessee and had to face a rusty Derrick Henry playing on one foot. KC dominated us the first half before forgetting how to complete passes against a zone defense in the second half, and the Raiders went down to the final play in our house. You could argue the Raiders got screwed more than anyone, by the logic I see from some here, they should be Super Bowl contenders because they nearly beat us, if the ball bounced there way(not happening btw)

The line of thinking that because the team finished last year hot, they will start hot this year is baseless. They haven't played a down of football in seven months. We have guys working back from injury, holdouts, entirely new offensive line, teams with a year of tape on our offense with Chase. etc. This team isn't winning 13 games like some people think. The conference is too good and our division is a lot better(Baltimore healthy, Pittsburgh has a QB with an arm, maybe not a brain yet, and Cleveland is Cleveland, although they took us to the woodshed with Baker in November)
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 02:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I guess I fail to see how a team that was in the playoff hunt all year (never more than 1 game out I believe) who played their best ball at the end of the season, beat the #1 and #2 seeds in the playoffs and lost that Superbowl by a whisker equals "Fluke". But of course, we don't know the definition of fluke. 

The Bengals did do all of what you mentioned.
They earned getting to the Super Bowl.
The only thing the doubters can speculate is that they won't perform to that same level now that they're playing a tougher schedule this year.
But the Bengals do look better on paper this year than last year, and they were able to get to the Super Bowl.
No reason to think they couldn't do the same this year if things go well.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 03:43 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well like I said the Bengals finished 6-2 ( minus the Cleveland game when they didn’t play the starters). 

The Bengals finished 5-2 not counting the Cleveland game
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 05:30 PM)PhilHos Wrote: The Bengals finished 5-2 not counting the Cleveland game

Again as I’ve maintained in their last 8 games ( not counting Cleveland) they finished 6-2. 5-2 =7.
1.49ers L playoff team
2. Broncos W
3. Ravens W
4. Chiefs W playoff team
Browns no count
5. Raiders W playoff team
6. Titans W playoff team
7. Chiefs W playoff team
8. Rams L playoff team

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 03:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I see it the way the rest of the NFL world sees it.

Fred its's funny that you mention the way the "NFL world" sees it. Because I'm not sure you understand this is the "NFL" we're talking about ?

What I mean is if North Central Outback St. beats Alabama that can probably be called a "fluke". If Scrubby H.S. team A (They haven't won a damn thing in years) beats perennial playoff H.S. kickass team B, there's a good chance it's a "fluke".

Fluke applies very little to NFL games. You ever heard the phrase "any given Sunday" ? If you go back and look at every Super Bowl winning or even deep playoff run team in the SuperBowl era the majority are going to have dropped a clunker or two every season. How many times have you heard announcers say they're getting hot at the right time ?

Was the Chiefs win over the Bills  last season a "Fluke" ? Or is that different ?

Like I said in another post earlier in this thread. In order to be in position to win at the end (fluke in your version) they had to be in the game.

When we beat the Chiefs to win the division the final score was 34-31. Did those 31 points we had before the game winning FG just appear out of thin air ?

Weak argument Fred.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 06:24 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Fred its's funny that you mention the way the "NFL world" sees it. Because I'm not sure you understand this is the "NFL" we're talking about ?

Yes. I am talking about the NFL where a 10-6 Giants wildcard team beat a 16-0 Patriots team when the leagues #17 scoring defense held the highest scoring team in NFL history to 14 points and a WR caught a long pass with his helmet in the final minute.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 06:24 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Fred its's funny that you mention the way the "NFL world" sees it. Because I'm not sure you understand this is the "NFL" we're talking about ?

What I mean is if North Central Outback St. beats Alabama that can probably be called a "fluke". If Scrubby H.S. team A (They haven't won a damn thing in years) beats perennial playoff H.S. kickass team B, there's a good chance it's a "fluke".

Fluke applies very little to NFL games. You ever heard the phrase "any given Sunday" ? If you go back and look at every Super Bowl winning or even deep playoff run team in the SuperBowl era the majority are going to have dropped a clunker or two every season. How many times have you heard announcers say they're getting hot at the right time ?

Was the Chiefs win over the Bills  last season a "Fluke" ? Or is that different ?

Like I said in another post earlier in this thread. In order to be in position to win at the end (fluke in your version) they had to be in the game.

When we beat the Chiefs to win the division the final score was 34-31. Did those 31 points we had before the game winning FG just appear out of thin air ?

Weak argument Fred.

I am not claiming any single game was as big of a fluke as the way we blew games at the end of '06 or lost to the Broncos opening day '09.  But when you look at the whole string it starts to look like fate was smiling on us.

When we beat the Chiefs on the final play in the regular season we were able to keep the final drive alive by converting a 3rd-and-27 and the Chiefs getting called for defensive penalties on back-to-back 4th down stops.

The Raiders were inside our 10 yard line when they turned the ball over on the final play.

We needed an interception on a tipped pass to beat the Titans on the last play of the game.
Reply/Quote
What makes great athletes great instead of the just good players who don't obtain greatness is they know how to harness their adrenaline during pressure situations with the game on the line.

Some players call it a sick feeling (have seen some puke from it), some call it butterflies, others embrace it and everything seems to turn into slow motion.

Yet most cant do this and they usually flail about when everything is on the line and ultimately choke.

Joe seems to be able to harness his adrenaline though and stay cool under pressure and see no fluke in Mr Burrow

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote