Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What We Need To Do
He is by definition a winner.
Reply/Quote
What we need is to do things differently then we have in years.

If the Bengals do draft Burrow, they have to give the guy a supporting cast. I have been saying for months to trade the first pick and it has never been anything against Burrow but everything about a lack of trust in the organization to do the right thing.

So, if Burrow is the pick then the team has be active in Free Agency like never before. I will feel a lot better about the draft if going into it they have signed two new starters. Be it LB, WR, O-line. Just showing that they are going to address the needs of the team.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 04:05 PM)3wt Wrote: PLEASE FORGIVE THE LENGTH OF THIS POST

We appear to have won the lottery.  After watching the National Championship Game and the  more I read from people more knowlegeable than me, this guy’s the real deal.   He has all the necessary physical tools and ALL the intangibles to be the next great QB in the NFL.

But we have some work to do:

First We need to not do to Burrow what Indy did to Luck.   We need to protect him.   To that end we need to use free agency to pick up two top notch offensive linemen.   Hart played pretty well the last half of the season, but we could use a stud at right tackle.    Miller did a passable job at right guard, but we need sure things in the interior.    Hopefully Williams turns out to be who we drafted him to be at left tackle.   I was dreaming of Whit coming in at left guard for the rest of his career, but that’s not happening, so we either sign a better left guard than what we have or draft one high.   Hopefully Jordan pans out in the end.

Second We need not to fool around; we need to sign Green.  The only way I can think of doing that is giving Green a contract that has a reasonable floor for him, but protects the Bengals from another injury deleted season, while giving him a contract ceiling that treats him with the other elite receivers – all based on his ability to stay on the field.

Third - We need a bona fide vertical threat opposite Green besides Ross.   Ross continues to have potential but is unreliable.  Constantly injured; slows up on or runs the wrong routes; drops too many catchable balls.  Burrow managed the pocket and made things happen on the run, but his receivers were – for the most part – very reliable.  And they got open.   Personally I like Jalen Reagor.   He appears to be raw, does have some concentration drops, but plays like his pants are on fire and just presents as much more aggressive than Ross.

FourthWe need to go out and get another defensive playmaker.   Linebacker would be nice (I like the guy from the Rams) but someone that increases the odds that Burrow has the necessary opportunities to ply his craft.  That’s what LSU was able to do in the championship game.   And with the needed opportunities Burrow pulled himself up out of a mid game slump and defeated a world class defense.

Fifth We need to deal Andy.   Do NOT make the mistake of not committing to Burrow and screwing Andy over.   Deal him before free agency so we have the currency to get what we need and Andy the chance to succeed somewhere else.  What we get for him is less important than freeing the money and putting a team together.

Taylor has expressed confidence we will do what it takes (https://www.bengals.com/news/taylor-made-takes-however-we-can-improve-this-team-we-want-to-go-out-there-and-do-it ).   The front office needs to not let him down.

Keeping ross is like keeping holes in the tub when you want to fill it.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 05:02 PM)depthchart Wrote: I found these names in a quick check on the Internet. Not sure how accurate this is but I think these guys may be available.

Eric Ebron

Hunter Henry

Austin Hooper

Vance McDonald

Vernon Davis
I don;t see any worth spending money on... Hooper probably the best in a pass happy team in Atlanta.. TE was not a focus of the offense this year, that could change but i would resign Tyler before spending $$ on any above
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 04:19 PM)jj22 Wrote: This involves a plan. Which I'm not sure there is one.

So no plan.. what do you call getting a new head coach first year plus drafting an anchor at Tackle,, a LB and Guard in first 4 rounds last year and a very likely a franchise QB second year..   I would like to see us go a bit more in FA but i see too many teams get little return from $$$ in FA then have to let go players because of Cap issues with in a year or two... 
If Burrow is what he has beel labeled as a franchise QB that will raise other's game etc.. that is what I and hope we expect from him.  This was the weakness of Andy.. he is a solid QB but not a Franchise QB.. a Franchise QB can do more with less and raise the games of others.. lets hope Burrow is that
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 12:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So no plan.. what do you call getting a new head coach first year plus drafting an anchor at Tackle,, a LB and Guard in first 4 rounds last year and a very likely a franchise QB second year..   I would like to see us go a bit more in FA but i see too many teams get little return from $$$ in FA then have to let go players because of Cap issues with in a year or two... 
If Burrow is what he has beel labeled  as a franchise QB that will raise other's game etc.. that is what I and hope we expect from him.   This was the weakness of Andy.. he is a solid QB but not a Franchise QB.. a Franchise QB can do more with less and raise the games of others.. lets hope Burrow is that

I think a plan looks much better if you can get a franchise QB and shore up the LOS on both sides of the ball.

Call me crazy, but I think Fred Johnson has a good chance to be a solid NFL OT which helps our OL especially if Jonah produces.

I hope we add an all pro guard in FA to the mix as well using the 17.7 million we save by trading AD.

I think they do have a plan.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 04:46 PM)Aland Wrote: When they draft burrow, he starts from day 1

Andy Dalton is a loser. Having him mentor or groom burrow would be like having the 40 Year Old Virgin hang around and train Ron Jeremy how to plow.

I like Joe Burrow too — but calling Andy Dalton a “loser” isn’t even close to being true. Andy Dalton might not be the best sideline mentor for Joe Burrow but he could certainly do a lot worse.

Joe Burrow will start for the Cincinnati Bengals in 2020 but we’ll see if he can lead the team to five straight playoff appearances like Andy Dalton did. Let’s be fair. Dalton had a more complete team around him in 2011 with many of the same 2009 playoff team members still on the roster. Still, five consecutive playoff appearances put Andy Dalton among a select group of quarterbacks who have accomplished this.

I do not expect the 2020 Cincinnati Bengals to have a winning season. There are just too many holes in the roster and the coaching staff, as a group, is woefully inexperienced. Even with Joe Burrow behind center I sincerely believe this team’s ceiling is maybe 8-8.
Reply/Quote
Steelers OT Matt Feiler could be a major steal for the Bengals and should be a guy they act on. Feiler is a RFA meaning the Bengals should offer him a deal and even if the Steelers match it it takes money out of their dwindling salary cap space. If they can actually pull Feiler away from the Steelers they get a very good RT. Either way they hurt the Steelers which is a plus in my book.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 01:00 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think a plan looks much better if you can get a franchise QB and shore up the LOS on both sides of the ball.

Call me crazy, but I think Fred Johnson has a good chance to be a solid NFL OT which helps our OL especially if Jonah produces.

I hope we add an all pro guard in FA to the mix as well using the 17.7 million we save by trading AD.

I think they do have a plan.

I agree with much of what you said except our LB is worse than our Oline.. and a bit easier to fill the need at LB in FA... Burrow is more mobile than Andy so that will help with our line.. though they played much better 2nd half over 1st half of season.. with Williams in lineup even with most of the main core they will be better especially watching Jordan improve through 2nd half.. 

The Bengals are not going to drop a ton a $$ into FA but they can shore up LB and WR in FA.. and in rounds 2/3/4  look for best available LB, Guard (possible swing Guard/Tackle, CB.   
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 04:43 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I agree with the list, but adding a pass catching TE to replace Eifert is needed.  If the new OC decides to make Giovanni and Mixon be regular pass catching threats Burrow gets the short game he'll need to survive during the season.  To me building a great Oline is the overriding priority this season.  

Agree that the O-line should be the top priority. Skill players are fun to watch but games are won up front. I hope for the Bengals sake that Drew Sample can start and be a legit receiving threat as well as a blocker. If you draft a TE in the second round he should be good enough to start. If not it’s a terrible pick.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 01:02 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I like Joe Burrow too — but calling Andy Dalton a “loser” isn’t even close to being true.  Andy Dalton might not be the best sideline mentor for Joe Burrow but he could certainly do a lot worse.

Joe Burrow will start for the Cincinnati Bengals in 2020 but we’ll see if he can lead the team to five straight playoff appearances like Andy Dalton did.  Let’s be fair.  Dalton had a more complete team around him in 2011 with many of the same 2009 playoff team members still on the roster.  Still, five consecutive playoff appearances put Andy Dalton among a select group of quarterbacks who have accomplished this.

I do not expect the 2020 Cincinnati Bengals to have a winning season.  There are just too many holes in the roster and the coaching staff, as a group, is woefully inexperienced.  Even with Joe Burrow behind center I sincerely believe this team’s ceiling is maybe 8-8.

Yes, the people that think Andy was a bust.. I just don;t how they are getting that... End of Career here was a tailspin.. this team just seemed to never recover from Pitt lose in playoffs but Andy had a solid career...   Also people tend to forget how good Baltimore and Pittsburgh were this past decade.. Link below, they are ranked 4/5 for the Bengals to put 5 playoffs in that decade says something for Dalton.  Overall in that 2011 to 2016 run.. the Bengals were top 10 to 15  in average regular season wins.   Andy was not a bust and in the end had better achievements than Palmer as a Bengal

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001093786/article/nfl-team-of-the-decade-ranking-top-10-organizations-of-2010s
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 04:05 PM)3wt Wrote: PLEASE FORGIVE THE LENGTH OF THIS POST

We appear to have won the lottery. After watching the National Championship Game and the more I read from people more knowlegeable than me, this guy’s the real deal. He has all the necessary physical tools and ALL the intangibles to be the next great QB in the NFL.

But we have some work to do:

First We need to not do to Burrow what Indy did to Luck. We need to protect him. To that end we need to use free agency to pick up two top notch offensive linemen. Hart played pretty well the last half of the season, but we could use a stud at right tackle. Miller did a passable job at right guard, but we need sure things in the interior. Hopefully Williams turns out to be who we drafted him to be at left tackle. I was dreaming of Whit coming in at left guard for the rest of his career, but that’s not happening, so we either sign a better left guard than what we have or draft one high. Hopefully Jordan pans out in the end.

Second We need not to fool around; we need to sign Green. The only way I can think of doing that is giving Green a contract that has a reasonable floor for him, but protects the Bengals from another injury deleted season, while giving him a contract ceiling that treats him with the other elite receivers – all based on his ability to stay on the field.

Third - We need a bona fide vertical threat opposite Green besides Ross. Ross continues to have potential but is unreliable. Constantly injured; slows up on or runs the wrong routes; drops too many catchable balls. Burrow managed the pocket and made things happen on the run, but his receivers were – for the most part – very reliable. And they got open. Personally I like Jalen Reagor. He appears to be raw, does have some concentration drops, but plays like his pants are on fire and just presents as much more aggressive than Ross.

FourthWe need to go out and get another defensive playmaker. Linebacker would be nice (I like the guy from the Rams) but someone that increases the odds that Burrow has the necessary opportunities to ply his craft. That’s what LSU was able to do in the championship game. And with the needed opportunities Burrow pulled himself up out of a mid game slump and defeated a world class defense.

Fifth We need to deal Andy. Do NOT make the mistake of not committing to Burrow and screwing Andy over. Deal him before free agency so we have the currency to get what we need and Andy the chance to succeed somewhere else. What we get for him is less important than freeing the money and putting a team together.

Taylor has expressed confidence we will do what it takes (https://www.bengals.com/news/taylor-made-takes-however-we-can-improve-this-team-we-want-to-go-out-there-and-do-it ). The front office needs to not let him down.

I would like to add something. One of the best things you can have for a young QB is a stud TE. Resign Eifert or pickup Hunter or Hooper. That’s if their teams don’t resign them. Eifert with the exception of Kelce imo is better than any TE in the league when healthy and used properly. He was willing to sign a one year deal, proved he could stay healthy albeit in a very limited role. But I think he will sign again. Even if he signs why not still go after a Hunter/Hooper.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 01:13 PM)Synric Wrote: Steelers OT Matt Feiler could be a major steal for the Bengals and should be a guy they act on. Feiler is a RFA meaning the Bengals should offer him a deal and even if the Steelers match it it takes money out of their dwindling salary cap space. If they can actually pull Feiler away from the Steelers they get a very good RT. Either way they hurt the Steelers which is a plus in my book.

That's sneaky! I like it LOL

(01-18-2020, 03:02 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I would like to add something. One of the best things you can have for a young QB is a stud TE. Resign Eifert or pickup Hunter or Hooper. That’s if their teams don’t resign them. Eifert with the exception of Kelce imo is better than any TE in the league when healthy and used properly. He was willing to sign a one year deal, proved he could stay healthy albeit in a very limited role. But I think he will sign again. Even if he signs why not still go after a Hunter/Hooper.

Agreed 100% on Eifert. His hands are still golden, save for that 1 play against the Jets...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 01:02 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I like Joe Burrow too — but calling Andy Dalton a “loser” isn’t even close to being true. Andy Dalton might not be the best sideline mentor for Joe Burrow but he could certainly do a lot worse.

Joe Burrow will start for the Cincinnati Bengals in 2020 but we’ll see if he can lead the team to five straight playoff appearances like Andy Dalton did. Let’s be fair. Dalton had a more complete team around him in 2011 with many of the same 2009 playoff team members still on the roster. Still, five consecutive playoff appearances put Andy Dalton among a select group of quarterbacks who have accomplished this.

I do not expect the 2020 Cincinnati Bengals to have a winning season. There are just too many holes in the roster and the coaching staff, as a group, is woefully inexperienced. Even with Joe Burrow behind center I sincerely believe this team’s ceiling is maybe 8-8.

Andy Dalton is a meek, noodle Arm, panicked, timid and below average qb

Using 18 mill of space to have opie mentor a #1 overall pick would be beyond idiotic.

Burrow would gain nothing from having to be mentored by that loser

If we wanted burrow to learn how to wilt under pressure, uninspire a team, throw a tremendous amount of picks, not extend plays and have zero pocket presence, and how to lock into one read.

Then yeah. Andy would be great to learn from
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 05:02 PM)depthchart Wrote: I found these names in a quick check on the Internet. Not sure how accurate this is but I think these guys may be available.

Eric Ebron

Hunter Henry

Austin Hooper

Vance McDonald

Vernon Davis

Thanks Depth Chart. Would like any of those guys, I know Vernon is getting up there in age but he could still contribute in 
the passing game. Henry would be ideal as he is young and very talented. McDonald has always been solid. Ebron is talented
as well, lots of good TE's available, great year to get one.

(01-17-2020, 05:20 PM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 I found an article that said Kyle Rudolph may be dealt or cut as a salary cap casualty. Home town boy... 

Wow, wouldn't mind bringing in Rudolph at all, great TE, has been for years. Can block and catch and stays healthy.

(01-17-2020, 06:13 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: https://nfltraderumors.co/2020-nfl-free-agent-list/

with some more likely available via trade... And post draft cuts. Salary cuts coming.

Thanks Xeno, tons of options. ThumbsUp

(01-17-2020, 06:24 PM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 Really?? Why?? Rudolph can be more productive just by being on the field more than our 3rd down glass TE. IMHO, of course... 

Agreed, usually agree with Truck but not here. Even when Eifert is healthy now he is a shadow of his 2015 self.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 03:25 PM)Aland Wrote: Andy Dalton is a meek, noodle Arm, panicked, timid and below average qb

Using 18 mill of space to have opie mentor a #1 overall pick would be beyond idiotic.

If we wanted burrow to learn how to wilt under pressure, uninspire a team, throw a tremendous amount of picks, not extend plays and have pocket presence and how to lock into one read.  

Ok, but what do you really think?
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 06:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Cooper has averaged over 1000 yards and 6 TDs every season, has only missed 3 games in 5 years, and is only 25 years old.
I can't imagine someone actually wanting AJ Green in his current state over Amari Cooper.

I would honestly say the Bengals should pursue Cooper first and look to re-sign Green if Cooper doesn't work out.
And if the Bengals miss out on both Green and Cooper, so be it. Draft a WR in Rd 2 or 3. This is a fantastic class for WR.

Getting Conklin would be great, but with the success TN has had, that's just continuing to put the spotlight on Conklin and going to drive his price up.

Cory Littleton is by top FA target.

Yes, think Cooper would be the ideal grab if we want a Receiver in FA. AJ just hasn't been healthy and that has to be taken into
consideration in his contract wherever he goes. We have the money to get Cooper and Conklin and it would be money well spent.

I like Littleton tons in coverage. But I am with Synric on Jamie Collins now, he can do it all and is a good pass rusher to boot.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 03:25 PM)Aland Wrote: Andy Dalton is a meek, noodle Arm, panicked, timid and below average qb

If we wanted burrow to learn how to wilt under pressure, uninspire a team, throw a tremendous amount of picks, not extend plays and have zero pocket presence, and how to lock into one read.  

Wow, heard some Dalton haters before but you take the cake pal. Congrats.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 03:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow, heard some Dalton haters before but you take the cake pal. Congrats.

If daltons own glaring deficiencies make it hating. Then sign me up
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 04:34 PM)Aland Wrote: If daltons own glaring deficiencies make it hating. Then sign me up

You are already signed up lol

Personally I am ready to move on as are pretty much everybody. But calling the guy a loser is a little over the top, let alone 
everything else you said about him. Dalton has been the epitome of class for this team and won tons of games and got us to
the Playoffs numerous times. He just couldn't win the big games which is why we need to move on to Joe Burrow.

No need to hate on Dalton anymore, trade the guy and move on. I will wish him the best, he is a good man.
Reply/Quote