Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Your F-Bomb Habit Says About Your Intelligence
(12-16-2015, 05:33 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm sadden at what constitutes "studies" these days. Really? Naming as many animals as you can in a short timespan equates to being smarter or that you at least know more words? Or maybe it's just that they have quicker recall. But, no, let's just jump to the most extreme conclusion. Rolleyes

I agree.
Curse words become instinctual.

Now I need to practice names of animals, Animaniacs style.

[Image: 1280px-Animaniacs.svg.png]
(12-16-2015, 05:33 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm sadden at what constitutes "studies" these days. Really? Naming as many animals as you can in a short timespan equates to being smarter or that you at least know more words? Or maybe it's just that they have quicker recall. But, no, let's just jump to the most extreme conclusion. Rolleyes

I know a bunch of ****** ****ing animal names!
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(12-16-2015, 07:36 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I know a bunch of ****** ****ing animal names!

Back to agreeing with Carlin......

Compound curse words are the best.
(12-16-2015, 04:12 PM)GMDino Wrote: You just think it makes people dumber and less "proper".

Cool

(12-16-2015, 04:20 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I'm fairly certain you have 'begrudged' others choice to use language as they see fit.  Is this a matter of you not knowing what 'begrudge' means, or another instance of you softening a stance you once adamantly held?  I've seen both scenarios play out.

Giving my opinion that it makes you sound ridiculous is not stopping you or anyone else from swearing up a storm. Like I said..... Have at it
(12-16-2015, 11:19 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Giving my opinion that it makes you sound ridiculous is not stopping you or anyone else from swearing up a storm.   Like I said..... Have at it

Glad we settled that.  

Quote:be·grudge

bəˈɡrəj/
verb

1. 1.
    envy (someone) the possession or enjoyment of (something).
    "she begrudged Martin his affluence"
    synonyms:
    envyresentgrudge
    "she begrudged Brian his affluence"
  2. 2.
    give reluctantly or resentfully.
    "nobody begrudges a single penny spent on health"
    synonyms:
    resent, feel aggrieved about, feel bitter about, be annoyed about, be resentful of, grudgemind, object to, take exception to, regret
    "don't begrudge the cost"

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-15-2015, 11:10 PM)GMDino Wrote: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-22989/what-your-f-bomb-habit-says-about-your-intelligence.html

Smirk

Wow.....I must be a regular ****ing genius then! LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

(12-16-2015, 02:38 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I've been known to use a swear word or two in my day. And I still do, in certain situations. It depends upon the circumstance and the 'audience', if you will. For instance, I used the "s**t" word on here yesterday in a post for slight shock value (shocking because I don't think the CoC allows that) and to emphasize a point. I was also writing a bit in vernacular to a particular audience (young men, football fans, etc.) who I thought the statement might reach better.

I also have been known to blurt out an expletive occasionally when frustrated, sick, and or angry. But, being that I generally try to avoid all three of those situations, that is a very rare occurrence. Growing up, my dad would drop the "GD" line about as often as Samuel L. Jackson uses the "F" word. There were six of us kids, and that was his way of venting frustration. I didn't like that very much, but understood the source. Because I grew up around that, the urge to respond in that way is pretty strong. Therefore, I've found replacement phrases over the years, such as "God... Bless America!!!" or "What the....?" (always left unfinished). Sometimes I even say "Dagnabit!".

I never call a person an expletive in anger. A wise friend in school once told me that if I really wanted to let someone know I was angry or disappointed with them, then don't cuss at them. Cussing obfuscates the point you are trying to make. And in a confrontational situation, you really want your point to be as clear and direct as possible.

Likewise, I never cuss in the workplace or around clients or vendors for the same reason. You don't want your meaning to be clouded in business dealings. And business partners, vendors, clients, co-workers, etc. are generally not my friends. I maintain a degree of separation, the need for which has been reinforced repeatedly over the course of 21 years in business.

I generally don't cuss around people I don't know. I'm not sure who I'm talking to or how the message would be received. In my experience, you want to be very clear and to the point if you are speaking to someone you don't know. The degree to which I use expletives varies to the degree of which I know the listener and how they will take the message. In a bar with friends, I can do excellent Samuel L. Jackson or Gunny Sergeant Hartman ("Full Metal Jacket") impersonations. But a person has to have invested the time to get to know me before I share those.

I tend to agree with St. Lucie about modelling behavior for your kids. But, as much as I'd like it that my son would never cuss, I would much rather have him understand the circumstantial reasoning as to why or why not to cuss in a situation.

And as for this study, that's some f***ed up s**t, mother f***er! I can f***in' name all the mother f***in' animals and I ain't gotta f***in' cuss to do it, b***h! How do you like them apples!  Rock On

In all seriousness.....this.  Although, I have some customers who have actually become friends of mine....so we share some barbs.  I deal with contractors, the larger the entity, the more reserved and professional the demeanor.  With some of the local boys that I might tip a beer with on occasion?  Let 'em fly. LOL

"Better send those refunds..."

(12-16-2015, 04:06 PM)Au165 Wrote: We end up in different meetings I guess (every place is different). It is never said at someone, more so out of frustration about a situation, and normally the setting is exclusively high ranking executives.  My father is a president of a different company and I know in talking with him he has been in meetings with his executive team, and with executives of other companies, and it gets used on occasion. These companies range in revenue from $10-$100 million, so maybe as the company gets bigger the environment changes a bit. One of the reasons I like being at a smaller company is because it is a bit less formal.

I was going to say, it appears to be something that could happen more frequently at a much smaller company (some that I've worked at in the past were prone to cussing).
I totally understand the "shock" value of it in a meeting, but it's still considered highly unprofessional and crass.

Seriously, how would you feel if you called into a help desk department and they answered, "how can I effin help you today?". That one word really changes the whole tone of the conversation.
(12-17-2015, 01:37 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I was going to say, it appears to be something that could happen more frequently at a much smaller company (some that I've worked at in the past were prone to cussing).
I totally understand the "shock" value of it in a meeting, but it's still considered highly unprofessional and crass.

Seriously, how would you feel if you called into a help desk department and they answered, "how can I effin help you today?". That one word really changes the whole tone of the conversation.

I've known some business owners who use cuss words. The key word here is 'owners'. I've seen some supervisors use cuss words around subordinates and peers, but not superiors. My sense is that most don't. And for those who do, it is generally a self-assigned privilege based upon position.

I remember going to Lowe's one Sunday evening with my son to pick up a few things. We were in our 'Sunday Best' for some reason, but I'm not sure if we actually went to church that day or not. Anyway, the check-out clerk was some young pimple-faced kid who sized us up as "church people" and decided to have fun at our expense. He started spouting off the "GD" phrase after every other word with a big grin on his face. He must have said it about 15 times in the space of asking if we "found everything okay" and giving us the receipt. Outside of giving him a "Something wrong with you, boy?" stare, I let it go. While I was a little annoyed with someone (besides myself) using minor swear words around my 4 year old boy, I found myself wondering what would cause someone to think that would be funny. I assume he was probably not long for that job anyway the next time he had to check-out one of Brigham Young's ancestors.
(12-17-2015, 02:24 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I've known some business owners who use cuss words. The key word here is 'owners'. I've seen some supervisors use cuss words around subordinates and peers, but not superiors. My sense is that most don't. And for those who do, it is generally a self-assigned privilege based upon position.

This.

And they use it among themselves, but not with clients or customer.
I use it a lot. Didn't realize it was because I was a genius.

these people used it too:

Quote:10. "What the **** was that?"- The Mayor of Hiroshima

9. "Where the **** did all these Indians come from?"- General Custer

8. "Any ***** idiot could understand that."- Albert Einstein

7. "It does SO ***** look like her!"- Pablo Picasso

6. "How the **** did you work that out?"- Pythagoras

5. "You want WHAT on the ***** ceiling?"- Michaelangelo

4. "Where the **** are we?"- Amelia Earhart

3. "Scattered ***** showers...my ass!"- Noah

2. "I need this parade like I need a ***** hole in my head!"- JFK

1. "Aw, c'mon, who the **** is going to find out?"- Bill Clinton
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(12-17-2015, 02:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

And they use it among themselves, but not with clients or customer.

That was real common in the Army.
(12-17-2015, 01:37 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Seriously, how would you feel if you called into a help desk department and they answered, "how can I effin help you today?". That one word really changes the whole tone of the conversation.
 I personally would laugh, but one again that is because I think arbitrarily labeling a word "bad" is comical. I think tone of a conversation can be much more offensive or off putting then the words used within it. See the Carlin reference earlier, if you swap out "f@#$" with some other word that isn't "bad" it kind of shows how crazy the concept is. Heck even applying "F@#$s" literal meaning instead of the word makes things comical.

"Get the sexual intercourse out of here"
"I don't give a sexual intercourse"

or the alernate

"I'm going to ruin or damage you up"
"Damage this, I am out of here"

Makes you kind of wonder, why it's used in the first place as the meaning doesn't fit? I think it probably comes down to the idea that it has shock value even if it has no logical place in a conversation. Either way, I am not sure why or how it really is offensive other than people empower it to be.
(12-17-2015, 04:00 PM)Au165 Wrote:  I personally would laugh, but one again that is because I think arbitrarily labeling a word "bad" is comical. I think tone of a conversation can be much more offensive or off putting then the words used within it. See the Carlin reference earlier, if you swap out "f@#$" with some other word that isn't "bad" it kind of shows how crazy the concept is. Heck even applying "F@#$s" literal meaning instead of the word makes things comical.

"Get the sexual intercourse out of here"
"I don't give a sexual intercourse"

or the alernate

"I'm going to ruin or damage you up"
"Damage this, I am out of here"

Makes you kind of wonder, why it's used in the first place as the meaning doesn't fit? I think it probably comes down to the idea that it has shock value even if it has no logical place in a conversation. Either way, I am not sure why or how it really is offensive other than people empower it to be.

Here you go ....  Sorted you out .  
"Get the heck out of here"
"I don't give a darn"

"I'm going to mess you up"
"Forget this, I am out of here"
(12-17-2015, 04:12 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Here you go ....  Sorted you out .  
"Get the heck out of here"
"I don't give a darn"

"I'm going to mess you up"
"Forget this, I am out of here"

So why aren't those words "bad"?  What makes one "bad"and the other not? "F@#$" is basically slang for sexual relations, which if you realize when the word came around (1500's) it would make sense that is would be taboo. The fact that society can freely talk about sex today, but a slang word for sex still is a "bad" word really is strange.
(12-17-2015, 04:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: So why aren't those words "bad"?  What makes one "bad"and the other not? "F@#$" is basically slang for sexual relations, which if you realize when the word came around (1500's) it would make sense that is would be taboo. The fact that society can freely talk about sex today, but a slang word for sex still is a "bad" word really is strange.

You can put any label you wish on it... But the reason to choose not to swear isn't because it's "bad" .... I just choose to conduct myself without these word choices. It's a personal and family decision. If you decide to use these words on a regular basis ..... And encourage minor children. To follow along as well
(12-17-2015, 04:37 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You can put any label you wish on it...   But the reason to choose not to swear isn't because it's "bad" ....  I just choose to conduct myself without these word choices.   It's a personal and family decision.   If you decide to use these words on a regular basis ..... And encourage minor children. To follow along as well

Sounds like your family doesn't have a choice based on YOUR decisions.

But no one has "encouraged" minors to swear.  You made that up to try and make a point. Rock On
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-17-2015, 04:37 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You can put any label you wish on it...   But the reason to choose not to swear isn't because it's "bad" ....  I just choose to conduct myself without these word choices.   It's a personal and family decision.   If you decide to use these words on a regular basis ..... And encourage minor children. To follow along as well

Your missing the point. I don't really care why you choose to do anything, that's why it's called a choice. It was more of a rhetorical question that I really wasn't looking for your reasoning on. I am getting at a deeper thought at the reasoning behind any word being "bad". You only have to make a choice on this class of words because someone way before you told you they were "bad", but there is no real reason they are bad other than because someone has told enough people within our society that they are.

By the way I haven't encouraged anyone to do anything besides question why things are the way they are. Doing something because that is the way things have always been done is counterproductive to growth and innovation.
(12-15-2015, 11:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I suppose a relevant question word be "what constitutes a curse word and who sat the standard"

the knights of standards and practices of course

[Image: latest?cb=20100331165234]
(12-17-2015, 05:05 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: the knights of standards and practices of course

[Image: latest?cb=20100331165234]

Well played...