Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What a draft.
I have come to expect big things from Bengals' brass when it comes to nailing the NFL draft, but this year was something special.

Every need was addressed spectacularly. Unfortunately, the offensive line talent in this draft was not there, so that remains a question mark going into the season.

But the defense... oh my. This defense just got beefy and tough in the span of two days. Word is the Glasglow guy can play on both sides of the line, which is crazy because we essentially just addressed two major needs with one pick.

And considering we essentially get two more picks in Billings and WJ3, this is not the same team that won 6 games anymore. All those FA departures suddenly seem like the team doing a rapid, mini-rebuild.

This year remains a mystery to me, as last year did as well. I said before the 2016 season that I saw the team winning anywhere from 6-13 games, and I'm sticking with that projection again for this year. Easy schedule, good draft: this is typically when ML-led teams excel (in the regular season only, of course). But the O-Line has a lot to prove, and specifically Ogbuehi and Fisher. I think they'll be fine, but they have to go out and actually do it before anyone will believe it.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I love this draft! If Ross can stay healthy this draft will be amazing in my book.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
I just like looking at the names of who we took where.

1. John Ross A+
2 Joe Mixon A+
3 Jordan Willis A+
4 Carl Lawson A+
4 Josh Malone A
4 Ryan Glasgow A
5 Jake Elliiot A
5 JJ Dielman Incomplete
6 Jordan Evans A
6 Brandon Wilson A
7 Mason Schrek - Incomplete

I know they all deserve incompletes for 2-3 years, but I'm stoked!!!
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Pretty darn good draft, but as pointed out we really shouldn't expect all 11 to be rookie of the year and go to the pro bowl.. if 1 or 2 crack the starting lineup this year I'll be happy.. Still a pretty darn good draft.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Would Sell My Fiancee For This Draft /10

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 01:22 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: I have come to expect big things from Bengals' brass when it comes to nailing the NFL draft, but this year was something special.

Every need was addressed spectacularly. Unfortunately, the offensive line talent in this draft was not there, so that remains a question mark going into the season.

But the defense... oh my. This defense just got beefy and tough in the span of two days. Word is the Glasglow guy can play on both sides of the line, which is crazy because we essentially just addressed two major needs with one pick.

And considering we essentially get two more picks in Billings and WJ3, this is not the same team that won 6 games anymore. All those FA departures suddenly seem like the team doing a rapid, mini-rebuild.

This year remains a mystery to me, as last year did as well. I said before the 2016 season that I saw the team winning anywhere from 6-13 games, and I'm sticking with that projection again for this year. Easy schedule, good draft: this is typically when ML-led teams excel (in the regular season only, of course). But the O-Line has a lot to prove, and specifically Ogbuehi and Fisher. I think they'll be fine, but they have to go out and actually do it before anyone will believe it.

Yeah MC, to get Ross, Mixon and Malone on Offense was pretty damn good as well.

But this Defense is going to be menacing with the additions of Willis, Lawson and Glasgow.

These are some mean sumbitches. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 03:09 AM)grampahol Wrote: Pretty darn good draft, but as pointed out we really shouldn't expect all 11 to be rookie of the year and go to the pro bowl.. if 1 or 2 crack the starting lineup this year I'll be happy.. Still a pretty darn good draft.

I agree, but as was stated earlier we also have Jackson and Billings. I don't care if the rookies and second years guys start as backups can still be big contributors. Our DL was unreal when we had the 8 man rotation as it kept the stars fresh for the 4th quarter. This is huge when trying to protect a lead or we need defensive stops.

Define a role for each guy and have them execute when they play 50 snaps or 25 snaps.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Here is the best thing about this draft. We got supburb talent so the only way we don't get better is if the oline is so bad that the entire season collapses. If that happens we still have the talent, we get a new head coach, and we draft the best lineman in the draft next year.

So win or lose im happy =)

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 01:16 PM)Okeana Wrote: Here is the best thing about this draft. We got supburb talent so the only way we don't get better is if the oline is so bad that the entire season collapses. If that happens we still have the talent, we get a new head coach, and we draft the best lineman in the draft next year.

So win or lose im happy =)

The thing about last year is that even though we were clearly a bad team, the talent was still there on both sides of the ball. I think that's what made the season so difficult to watch. You could really see in the games against Philly, Miami, and Baltimore at the end there that this team definitely has talent. Made a run at Pittsburgh, didn't get blown out by anyone for the most part and allowed 30 points only one time and that was to New England in Brady's first home game back during a game that we led in the 3rd quarter.

The challenge now is putting it all together. Marvin Lewis has shown that he can put together a regular season winner, so nobody should be surprised if that happens. The real question is whether this team will EVER be able to make a postseason run with ML leading the team. At this point, it's psychological as much as it is a competency issue from Marvin's standpoint.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
Reply/Quote
Underrated part of this draft is how much help our ST's is getting. Simmons has to be thrilled. Ross, Mixon, Malone, Elliot, Evans, etc should all be good for ST's
Reply/Quote
Every need was not addressed . Oline depth is daunting .

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 01:21 PM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: The thing about last year is that even though we were clearly a bad team, the talent was still there on both sides of the ball. I think that's what made the season so difficult to watch. You could really see in the games against Philly, Miami, and Baltimore at the end there that this team definitely had talent. Made a run at Pittsburgh, didn't get blown out by anyone for the most part and allowed 30 points only one time and that was to New England in Brady's first home game back during a game that we led in the 4th quarter.

The challenge now is putting it all together. Marvin Lewis has shown that he can put together a regular season winner, so nobody should be surprised if that happens. The real question is whether this team will EVER be able to make a postseason run with ML leading the team. At this point, it's psychological as much as it is a competency issue from Marvin's standpoint.

Weird year in 2016.

1. Our OL was supposed to be a strength and same guys got a lot worse who were very good a year earlier.
2. Our kicker costs us at least 2 games.
3. Burfict suspension and I think lack of his fitness upon return hurt the team. By end of the year, he was back playing at the Burfict high level.
4. Loss of Eifert, Gio and Green all killed the offense.
5. I think we replaced Reggie Nelson, but got worse in the process. S. Williams or someone needs to step up in 2017.
6. Peko had to play too many snaps again due to injury.
7. Our 1st round pick did not play a snap and our projected backup 4th rounder Billings also sat out.

As others have stated, our OL is a key ingredient in 2017, will they improve over a poor OL performance in 2016? That and of course season ending or major injuries have to be avoided to our stars.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 01:22 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: I have come to expect big things from Bengals' brass when it comes to nailing the NFL draft, but this year was something special.

I can't remember a year I've been more excited.  This may go down as an amazing draft ibn a few years!!!

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 02:32 AM)Shady Wrote: I just like looking at the names of who we took where.

1. John Ross A+
2 Joe Mixon  A+
3 Jordan Willis A+
4 Carl Lawson A+
4 Josh Malone A
4 Ryan Glasgow A
5 Jake Elliiot A
5 JJ Dielman Incomplete
6 Jordan Evans A
6 Brandon Wilson A
7 Mason Schrek - Incomplete

I know they all deserve incompletes for 2-3 years, but I'm stoked!!!

Dead on.  If you simply ranked the draft picks compared to the players they will be replacing/competing with for playing time, you can see where there has (potentially) been significant improvement at the WR, RB, DE, DT (plus Billings), and kicker with guys competing for roster spots at LB, S, TE, and Oline that have some significant upside.

The Bengals roster has had talent for some time, but the depth of that talent was paper thin at certain position groups.  This is a common issue in the salary cap era, but they now have significant depth of talent at key positions.  

I know, I know....tempered enthusiasm, grade a draft 4 years later, blah, blah, blah...

All I know is the talent they got were killers in college.  When was the last time I saw a 6th round pick look absolutely dominant on his tape?  Freaks that had the production to match their physicality in the 3rd and 4th?  

The mere fact they FINALLY got the vertical guy to attack opposite AJ Green made the draft for me.  I had been pushing Ross for some time.  The rest of the draft, however, is even more exciting now.  
Reply/Quote
Great draft. 8 to 10 of these guys are going to make the roster.

I am OK giving Og and Fisher a chance though I think we should have franchised Whit.

But I continue to be amazed and upset that the Bengals continue to roll with Bodine at center. He is one of the worst five centers in the league and we have seen what he can do with three years starting - unlike Og and Fisher.

Bodine is going to continue to struggle particularly against 3-4 defenses like Pittsburgh and Ravens.

This is like the way they stuck with Rey M after he got torched two years in a row by the Houston TE but way worse.

I don't think any other team would stick with Bodine .

Please sign Mangold just to see what he can do.

If RBs are constantly hit behind the line of scrimmage and Dalton has less than 2 seconds to throw, all the weapons in the world are meaningless.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 03:18 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Would Sell My Fiancee For This Draft /10

We're gonna need pictures....
Reply/Quote
I'm always skeptical of getting too excited for drafts/draft grades, etc. I do like who was picked, but in general I think every team feels that way. Most fans at this point believe that all of their guys are going to come in and make them contenders or champions.

Yes, it's all really exciting, but I think we're all expecting a little too much right now. I don't intend this to be a downer post, but we're not going to know how well this class pans out for a year or two.

Ultimately, regardless of how good or bad these picks are, the lynchpin is going to be the offensive line. They'll be the difference in whether the Bengals are in the playoffs or picking in the top ten again.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 01:29 PM)jeremydc Wrote: Every need was not addressed . Oline depth is daunting .

It wasn't there at good value were we picked...

But we have drafted OL in the past few years and its time for them to play. they should know the system. And we brought back A Smith to help a bit.

and there will be some quality players getting released do to contracts
Reply/Quote

I get being excited...and best case we got 3 quality starters and a kicker from this draft.

But some of this stuff is over-the-top. I've bolded those statements.

re: Glasnow playing both sides of the ball addressing 2 major needs? Do you think he's going to start at DT and Guard? I think we'll be lucky if he is a rotational DT. I just don't see him beating out some of the guys we have their...who have all been touted as having potential.

Saying the defense just got beefy: I really like Willis...but he's a 250 lb defensive end. Same with Lawson. Lawson may have been my favorite pick...but these guys may take 2-3 years to be ready and they'll have to prove that they can hold up against the run.

The other guys we drafted on defense look like special teamers to me.

All-in-all...it was a pretty good draft. It will take time to tell. If things break right, we could have 3 quality starters and a kicker from it which would be great.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 03:09 AM)grampahol Wrote: Pretty darn good draft, but as pointed out we really shouldn't expect all 11 to be rookie of the year and go to the pro bowl.. if 1 or 2 crack the starting lineup this year I'll be happy.. Still a pretty darn good draft.

That's a realistic assessment.

People tend to project 11 starters...if you get 1 or 2 contributing at a high level as rookies, it's a good draft. If you get 3 starters after 2-3 years...it was a great draft.
Reply/Quote