Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What a draft.
(05-16-2017, 09:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Dead on.  If you simply ranked the draft picks compared to the players they will be replacing/competing with for playing time, you can see where there has (potentially) been significant improvement at the WR, RB, DE, DT (plus Billings), and kicker with guys competing for roster spots at LB, S, TE, and Oline that have some significant upside.

The Bengals roster has had talent for some time, but the depth of that talent was paper thin at certain position groups.  This is a common issue in the salary cap era, but they now have significant depth of talent at key positions.  

I know, I know....tempered enthusiasm, grade a draft 4 years later, blah, blah, blah...

All I know is the talent they got were killers in college.  When was the last time I saw a 6th round pick look absolutely dominant on his tape?  Freaks that had the production to match their physicality in the 3rd and 4th?  

The mere fact they FINALLY got the vertical guy to attack opposite AJ Green made the draft for me.  I had been pushing Ross for some time.  The rest of the draft, however, is even more exciting now.  

I agree. On paper we've improved a lot...everywhere...except offensive line. On paper, the o-line is worse than last year.

I just hope that we can run the ball this year. You can have great RB's but if the blocking isn't there...it's an issue.
Reply/Quote
Don't forget all the offensive weapons and they did nothing for the O-line that was horrible last year. Look at Gurley on the Rams last year he was dreadful because his offensive line was bad.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 02:01 PM)cincyfan429 Wrote: Don't forget all the offensive weapons and they did nothing for the O-line that was horrible last year. Look at Gurley on the Rams last year he was dreadful because his offensive line was bad.

Yeah that's a great point.

Regardless of whether people think Whitworth and Zeitler were paid more than they should have got...the players we replace them with are worse.

So we lost our 2 best offensive lineman on a line that was already shaky. From a pass protection standpoint, neither gave up many sacks.

Offensive line is a HUGE concern. HUGE.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 03:09 AM)grampahol Wrote: Pretty darn good draft, but as pointed out we really shouldn't expect all 11 to be rookie of the year and go to the pro bowl.. if 1 or 2 crack the starting lineup this year I'll be happy.. Still a pretty darn good draft.

Well there can only be 1 rookie of the year, but all 11 can go to the Pro-Bowl :)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 02:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I agree. On paper we've improved a lot...everywhere...except offensive line. On paper, the o-line is worse than last year.

I just hope that we can run the ball this year. You can have great RB's but if the blocking isn't there...it's an issue.

I covered this on another thread that was something like "Names to know for the upcoming season", and listed all the offensive linemen.

Perhaps it is just me, but I don't look at the line in the same manner.  I think it got weaker on one spot, LT, but a heck of a lot younger and the man Ced is replacing sure didn't look like an All-Pro when he started, either.

The rest of the line, including the RG position, will be better.  Zeitler was solid, but not spectacular and I think he got too focused on not having to be the fat lineman, and it stunted his game.  RG has to be a mauler, and I think one of the two young guys may help the running game, and I have no doubts Andre Smith would over Zeitler. 

So, instead of worrying about how it likely became weaker at one spot, I think it improved at the other four. 
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 05:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I covered this on another thread that was something like "Names to know for the upcoming season", and listed all the offensive linemen.

Perhaps it is just me, but I don't look at the line in the same manner.  I think it got weaker on one spot, LT, but a heck of a lot younger and the man Ced is replacing sure didn't look like an All-Pro when he started, either.

The rest of the line, including the RG position, will be better.  Zeitler was solid, but not spectacular and I think he got too focused on not having to be the fat lineman, and it stunted his game.  RG has to be a mauler, and I think one of the two young guys may help the running game, and I have no doubts Andre Smith would over Zeitler. 

So, instead of worrying about how it likely became weaker at one spot, I think it improved at the other four. 

I just hope Dielman pushes Bodine at Center, this has been one of my biggest complaints. No competition at Center.

Dielman does have good bloodlines. I agree that this could be the case and Landon Lechler was hella good in college,
he could be a very good backup LT at the very least. The Kent Perkins guy is a lot like Asiata, road grader.

Boling 100%, Bodine a bit improved from competition, Andre being a better run blocker than Z, Fisher staying at one
position etc. There are lots of reasons to believe what you say here, just hope it turns out this way.

Mixon and Ross also help tons.
Reply/Quote
We'll know in about 8 months what kind of draft this was. No matter what Ross, Mixon, Willis, and Lawson do, if the OL stinks and Dalton is running for his life/injured resulting in a losing season, this draft did not fill the Bengals' biggest need. If the OL holds up and the offense is rejuvenated, then all credit to Marvin Lewis/Duke Tobin. Still cannot believe they let Whit walk and not drafting OL in first 4 rounds though.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 02:01 PM)cincyfan429 Wrote: Don't forget all the offensive weapons and they did nothing for the O-line that was horrible last year. Look at Gurley on the Rams last year he was dreadful because his offensive line was bad.

He ruined me in fantasy football. How different was his line from the previous year? I don't follow the Rams enough to really know.

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 12:43 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: We'll know in about 8 months what kind of draft this was.  No matter what Ross, Mixon, Willis, and Lawson do, if the OL stinks and Dalton is running for his life/injured resulting in a losing season, this draft did not fill the Bengals' biggest need.  If the OL holds up and the offense is rejuvenated, then all credit to Marvin Lewis/Duke Tobin.  Still cannot believe they let Whit walk and not drafting OL in first 4 rounds though.

I say we know in 3 to 4 years what type of draft 2017 was as takes time for rookies to get up to speed and adjust to playing against elite bigger, stronger and faster athletes than they played against in college.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 01:28 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Underrated part of this draft is how much help our ST's is getting. Simmons has to be thrilled. Ross, Mixon, Malone, Elliot, Evans, etc should all be good for ST's

Excellent point.  There are three phases and the Bengals could be lethal in all three now.  There should be SIGNIFICANT improvement on special teams.  
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 12:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I just hope Dielman pushes Bodine at Center, this has been one of my biggest complaints. No competition at Center.

Dielman does have good bloodlines. I agree that this could be the case and Landon Lechler was hella good in college,
he could be a very good backup LT at the very least. The Kent Perkins guy is a lot like Asiata, road grader.

Boling 100%, Bodine a bit improved from competition, Andre being a better run blocker than Z, Fisher staying at one
position etc. There are lots of reasons to believe what you say here, just hope it turns out this way.

Mixon and Ross also help tons.

He may not even make the team...but JJ Dielman is a real Center's name. So my bold prediction is, he will somehow overtake Bodine and anchor the middle of the line. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2017, 02:13 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He may not even make the team...but JJ Dielman is a real Center's name. So my bold prediction is, he will somehow overtake Bodine and anchor the middle of the line. 

I like that bold prediction, hope it comes true and JJ Dielman ends up being a stud and the biggest steal of this draft.

Dude did play very well until his injury...
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 03:09 AM)grampahol Wrote: Pretty darn good draft, but as pointed out we really shouldn't expect all 11 to be rookie of the year and go to the pro bowl.. if 1 or 2 crack the starting lineup this year I'll be happy.. Still a pretty darn good draft.

This fan-gushing and high hopes occur almost every off season -- same circus, different clowns. I really do hope this season IS different. Yawn
Reply/Quote
Would have really liked some OA-line help.

But other than that it is hard to complain with the Bengals draft selections.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2017, 02:13 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He may not even make the team...but JJ Dielman is a real Center's name. So my bold prediction is, he will somehow overtake Bodine and anchor the middle of the line. 

I love the annual bold prediction thread.  I have had some classics.  "Margus Hunt will have 10 sacks".  Bwahahahaha.

Dumbass.
Reply/Quote
My bold prediction of the year.. Dan Coats comes out of retirement and catches 20 TDs..
Ok, that's hinging more on delusional, but there it is. My bold prediction.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 01:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's a realistic assessment.

People tend to project 11 starters...if you get 1 or 2 contributing at a high level as rookies, it's a good draft. If you get 3 starters after 2-3 years...it was a great draft.

That's one of the best ways of looking at a draft that I've read. :andy:
[img]http://[Image: power-rangers-dinozords-ranking-tigerzor...mhpcjr.jpg][/img]
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2017, 12:45 PM)grampahol Wrote: My bold prediction of the year.. Dan Coats comes out of retirement and catches 20 TDs..

Come on man dan coats never scored a td in his entire career you'd be better off betting on Ben utecht to return

But as for the draft some of these grades are very biased I hope it all turns well and we drafted 10 all pros but don't be surprised if some of these guys don't pan out
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2017, 03:29 AM)TSwigZ Wrote: Come on man dan coats never scored a td in his entire career you'd be better off betting on Ben utecht to return

But as for the draft some of these grades are very biased I hope it all turns well and we drafted 10 all pros but don't be surprised if some of these guys don't pan out

As others have said, 2 or 3 players from a draft playing significant snaps as rookies and 2 or 3 become starters from any draft make it successful. That means the rest will not succeed and fall out of the NFL or be career back ups.. So, I will not be surprised, I expect over 60% of our draft class to not pan out.

The difference with me is I will evaluate a draft after 3 to 4 years, not after one year.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2017, 12:45 PM)grampahol Wrote: My bold prediction of the year.. Dan Coats comes out of retirement and catches 20 TDs..

Possibly the greatest post of all time.
Reply/Quote