Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What a ride this season
Well, it's over, and what a roller coaster ride it was. I remember back in pre-season and everyone was pumped, super Bowl run baby!!

And then the wheels started coming off the bus. Joe Burrow went down in camp and we sucked the first 4 games stumbling into a 1-3 record. How we beat LA ??? Hope was gone.

Then Joe got better and we ripped off 4 wins in a row including beating a decent Seahawks team and the good Bills and 49ers team, he's back. The playoffs and SB seemed back on the table.

Then we lost to a decent Texans team (CJ Stroud seems to be the real deal) and a bit of air came out of our sails. Then the boom was lowered again in the Ravens game, Joe's wrist and all hope was lost.....again. The Steelers game kinda confirmed that Jake Browning was taking us nowhere and I was calling it a season.

To the tune of Rocky, the light came back on!! Browning looked like the 2nd coming of Montana and we reeled off 3 wins in a row. Hope was restored.

The 2nd Steelers game brought us back to reality and pretty much the season was over in one foul swoop.

Please can the football gods smile on us next season and Joe Burrow have a full pre-season and we play the Oline a bit there. And more importantly can Joe stay healthy all season? Aren't we due?? I can't handle the drama anymore haha.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's the damn curse man.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 10:54 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Please can the football gods smile on us next season and Joe Burrow have a full pre-season and we play the Oline a bit there. And more importantly can Joe stay healthy all season? Aren't we due?? I can't handle the drama anymore haha.

I have sought favor with the Football Gods every season since Boomer and the gang lost the Super Bowl. I hope they do smile upon the Bengals soon.

How do we also remove the curse of Bo Jackson? I thought having his nephew on the team was a good start!
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 02:12 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I have sought favor with the Football Gods every season since Boomer and the gang lost the Super Bowl. I hope they do smile upon the Bengals soon.

How do we also remove the curse of Bo Jackson? I thought having his nephew on the team was a good start!

I thought that we killed the curse of Bo, when we beat the Raiders in the WC round in 2021?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 02:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I thought that we killed the curse of Bo, when we beat the Raiders in the WC round in 2021?

I probably agreed with such sentiment in the moment but I suppose my desire for a Super Bowl victory clouds the memory.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 02:32 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I probably agreed with such sentiment in the moment but I suppose my desire for a Super Bowl victory clouds the memory.

See, after losing two SBs to the 49ers, I always attributed that to the curse of Bill Walsh.  But after losing to LA, I'm not sure what to attribute the misfortune to.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 02:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: See, after losing two SBs to the 49ers, I always attributed that to the curse of Bill Walsh.  But after losing to LA, I'm not sure what to attribute the misfortune to.

The California curse ??
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 02:44 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The California curse ??

Seeing how Walsh gave the world the West Coast Offense, I guess anywhere out there falls under the blanket of West Coast..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Nah, it's a California curse, not the West Coast. Three Super Bowl losses to California teams. Playoff losses to the Oakland Raiders, LA Raiders and San Diego Chargers. 1-6 vs California teams in the post-season with the Freezer Bowl being the only victory.

1-6 vs California and 9-10 vs the rest of the NFL in the post season.
Playoff victories vs Seattle, San Diego, Houston Oilers, Tennessee, Las Vegas, Kansas City, Baltimore and 3 vs Buffalo

post season record
0-2 vs the 49ers
0-2 vs the Colts, both Baltimore and Indianapolis
0-2 vs the Jets
0-2 vs the Steelers
0-2 vs the Texans
0-1 vs the Dolphins
0-1 vs the Rams
1-1 vs the Chiefs
1-1 vs the Chargers
1-2 vs the Raiders, Las Vegas, Oakland and LA
1-0 vs the Ravens
1-0 vs the Seahawks
2-0 vs the Oilers/Titans
3-0 vs the Bills
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 10:54 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Well, it's over, and what a roller coaster ride it was. I remember back in pre-season and everyone was pumped, super Bowl run baby!!

And then the wheels started coming off the bus. Joe Burrow went down in camp and we sucked the first 4 games stumbling into a 1-3 record. How we beat LA ??? Hope was gone.

Then Joe got better and we ripped off 4 wins in a row including beating a decent Seahawks team and the good Bills and 49ers team, he's back. The playoffs and SB seemed back on the table.

Then we lost to a decent Texans team (CJ Stroud seems to be the real deal) and a bit of air came out of our sails. Then the boom was lowered again in the Ravens game, Joe's wrist and all hope was lost.....again. The Steelers game kinda confirmed that Jake Browning was taking us nowhere and I was calling it a season.

To the tune of Rocky, the light came back on!! Browning looked like the 2nd coming of Montana and we reeled off 3 wins in a row. Hope was restored.

The 2nd Steelers game brought us back to reality and pretty much the season was over in one foul swoop.

Please can the football gods smile on us next season and Joe Burrow have a full pre-season and we play the Oline a bit there. And more importantly can Joe stay healthy all season? Aren't we due?? I can't handle the drama anymore haha.

I see it has glass half full, at this point im not sure we can trust Burrow with his health and with this injury how it might impact his throwing, but we also found out that Browning can play in this league. Actually his stats over the last 6 games were the best of any starting QB according to Lapham... so we are not a ship adrift if Burrow goes down or has to sit a few games at start of season. We need to improve in some areas regardless who is QB and if it is Browning maybe with that improvement we have a better chance to win games if he needs to take over
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 07:03 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I see it has glass half full, at this point im not sure we can trust Burrow with his health and with this injury how it might impact his throwing, but we also found out that Browning can play in this league.  Actually his stats over the last 6 games were the best of any starting QB according to Lapham... so we are not a ship adrift if Burrow goes down or has to sit a few games at start of season.  We need to improve in some areas regardless who is QB and if it is Browning maybe with that improvement we have a better chance to win games if he needs to take over

I think this narrative is being way overplayed. Burrow had his knee shredded on a play that would do the same thing to any QB.  The same can be said of his wrist injury. Appendicitis is non-football related and was just bad timing. The only injury he has had that would make me think there was anything physiologically making him injury prone would be the non-contact calf strain. So that's 1. The other 2 are just football.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 10:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think this narrative is being way overplayed. Burrow had his knee shredded on a play that would do the same thing to any QB.  The same can be said of his wrist injury. Appendicitis is non-football related and was just bad timing. The only injury he has had that would make me think there was anything physiologically making him injury prone would be the non-contact calf strain. So that's 1. The other 2 are just football.

Yup

I'm not buying in to the Burrow is a piece of glass mantra a few are pushing. Like you say the knee was just a freak play.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 11:21 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup

I'm not buying in to the Burrow is a piece of glass mantra a few are pushing. Like you say the knee was just a freak play.

Agreed.

- No QB would survive the hit his leg took in the '20 season
- In the '21 and '22 seasons he started 16 games
- An appendix removal does not exemplify the injury prone concept

It's only fair to say he was injury prone during this '23 season.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 10:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think this narrative is being way overplayed. Burrow had his knee shredded on a play that would do the same thing to any QB.  The same can be said of his wrist injury. Appendicitis is non-football related and was just bad timing. The only injury he has had that would make me think there was anything physiologically making him injury prone would be the non-contact calf strain. So that's 1. The other 2 are just football.
Still injuries , and 2 season ending, I think some underplay it because it's Burrow, eifert after 4 seasons we said injury prone, many people call Higgins injury prone, Andre Smith same tag . As for wrist , it is a concern being throwing hand.
Reply/Quote
No more roller coasters, just pure domination or disaster please.
I don't like up and down seasons, ultimately finishing middle of the pack.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 01:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: No more roller coasters, just pure domination or disaster please.
I don't like up and down seasons, ultimately finishing middle of the pack.

No! I do not want the 1990s Bengals back, ever.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 02:43 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: No! I do not want the 1990s Bengals back, ever.  Hilarious

I dunno, it was pretty nice in 2019 and 2020 knowing pretty much by early November that the Bengals weren't going to do anything, so I could have those 3 hours every week available to do other things.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 03:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I dunno, it was pretty nice in 2019 and 2020 knowing pretty much by early November that the Bengals weren't going to do anything, so I could have those 3 hours every week available to do other things.

In the '90s this often wasn't even an issue since many games were blacked out and not on TV. You knew days in advanced to not bother following the Bengals other than reading a Cincinnati Enquirer article in the morning paper.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 10:54 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Well, it's over, and what a roller coaster ride it was. I remember back in pre-season and everyone was pumped, super Bowl run baby!!

Nice thread brother. It was a wild ride alright. Hope, no hope, hope, no hope lol

Hopefully Burrow gets healthy with the wrist and such and is ready to roll for our season opener next year for once without any injury.

I like that we found out we have a good backup QB in Browning. The holes are obvious and we have so many options to fill them. RT and DT.

The coaches need to learn from this season along with the players and we should be right back talkin' SB again.

We are due, this season was hard with our franchise QB injured for most the year and playing in the best Division ever in football. 

Doubt this Division will be this good next year. The Division made history this year with all teams with a winning record. Never happened before.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 01:07 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Still injuries , and 2 season ending, I think some underplay  it because it's Burrow, eifert after 4 seasons we said injury prone, many people call Higgins injury prone, Andre Smith same tag . As for wrist , it is a concern being throwing hand.

It's not because of Burrow, it's about how the injuries occur. Any QB's knee would have given on that play. Any QB's wrist would have given on that play. That's just the luck of the draw when you play football. To say a player is "injury prone" only makes sense if it's due to injuries like hamstrings, etc., that are not caused by extreme contact. If a guy is out every year with a hammy, then that's injury prone. If Burrow pulls up with another calf strain, then that's different, but I do not see one occurrence as making him prone to it.
Reply/Quote