Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ's career franchise standings if he doesn't play this year
(12-11-2019, 06:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: At this point im fine with chad retaining those records.

Yep.

Meanwhile Green not practicing so out again.

In other breaking news: water is wet, sky is blue, grass is green.

At this point I want him gone. If we offer him a huge contract after this episode it might be my breaking point with this useless franchise. Not putting him on IR was absolutely insane.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 04:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: As it stands, AJ Green is second behind Chad Johnson in receptions, receiving yards, and TDs in franchise history.

1) Johnson - 751, 10783, 66
2) Green - 602, 8907, 63 (149 behind, 1876 behind, 3 behind)

It was thought by many (especially myself) that AJ was going to play some this season such that he would break the TDs record this year and probably break the receiving yards record next year if he stayed. He also is about 2 full seasons away from the receptions record.

Now, there's a chance he doesn't even break the receptions and yardage records even if he does re-sign, as that could be for only 1-2 years.
The TD record should still be very feasible even if he only plays one more year though.

If AJ doesn't end up breaking all of Chad's franchise records, will that change anyone's perception of Green?

Tiger AJ doing his best (and on-going) impression of Cordy Glenn changed my perception of "the ultimate Pro".....
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 05:23 PM)Whatever Wrote: It won't really change my perception of him, but it will really hurt his HoF chances.  It will be tough to put him in over Chad when he couldn't break Chad's records and Chad is going to be stuck in the logjam at WR for the foreseeable future.
He's not a HoF'er....

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 10:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: AJ has 0 shot at HOF. None.

He's had over 1078 yards 3 times in his career (9 years).

Julio Jones has been over 1400 yards 5 times! 5! And he's been over 1500 yards 3 times. And had 1871 yards. And he's still putting up big numbers. He had 1677 yards last year for instance.

AJ is vastly overrated by fans here. On his rookie contract, he was great. But, once he signed his 2nd contract he started to get injured A LOT.

Yards schmards.  Yards are easier to come by on a losing team.  Once the other team hangs four scores on you they don't really care what kind of yardage you put up.  The relevant stat in this comparison is the Super Bowl appearance imo.  Had he gone to a franchise that was managed by competent people who cared one iota about winning in the post season, he may very well have done some damage in meaningful games by now.  He has a history of looking limp in cold weather, getting blanked by the Richard Sherman/Jalen Ramsey types, and doing nothing in the playoffs.  Similarly to Dalton, he seemed to shine the brightest when the weather was ideal, it was 1PM, and they were playing non-elite competition.  My honest assessment is that AJ has made some of the best plays and had some most dominant games that I have ever seen out of a WR, but that he has been too inconsistent to earn HOF consideration.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2019, 01:02 AM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger AJ doing his best (and on-going) impression of Cordy Glenn changed my perception of "the ultimate Pro".....

As has mine, a bit. I'm not all out calling BS on AJ just yet. But one eyebrow is raised.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 04:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: As it stands, AJ Green is second behind Chad Johnson in receptions, receiving yards, and TDs in franchise history.

1) Johnson - 751, 10783, 66
2) Green - 602, 8907, 63 (149 behind, 1876 behind, 3 behind)

It was thought by many (especially myself) that AJ was going to play some this season such that he would break the TDs record this year and probably break the receiving yards record next year if he stayed. He also is about 2 full seasons away from the receptions record.

Now, there's a chance he doesn't even break the receptions and yardage records even if he does re-sign, as that could be for only 1-2 years.
The TD record should still be very feasible even if he only plays one more year though.

If AJ doesn't end up breaking all of Chad's franchise records, will that change anyone's perception of Green?

I remember people saying AJ breaking Chad's records was inevitable. Now it's looking unlikely. It won't change my perception of him much, but I never viewed him as being the GOAT Bengals WR over Chad. It's something he had to earn. IMO, this just goes to show how much some of the fan base took Chad and his career for granted.

He was great and durable, but his prime just faded fast once he hit 30. AJ is fading even faster, due to injuries which are probably due to age. Amazing guy though, and incredible when he was healthy. As for the HOF, AJ had a slim shot before the injuries. I think those chances are long gone now, barring a miracle turn around and a switch of teams.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 06:02 PM)jj22 Wrote: in before Chad had the better QB argument.

A legit one, but my belief remains. Chad was the better wideout.

Chad had arguably his best season with Kitna (2003).

(12-09-2019, 10:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: AJ has 0 shot at HOF. None.

He's had over 1078 yards 3 times in his career (9 years).

Julio Jones has been over 1400 yards 5 times! 5! And he's been over 1500 yards 3 times. And had 1871 yards. And he's still putting up big numbers. He had 1677 yards last year for instance.

AJ is vastly overrated by fans here. On his rookie contract, he was great. But, once he signed his 2nd contract he started to get injured A LOT.

The current standard among voters seems to be 13,000 yards for WR's. If you don't have at least that, you'd better have some rings.

In other words, AJ has a long way to go.

(12-11-2019, 06:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you cherry pick the absolute best portion of Chad career ('02-'07) you could argue (a big stretch) that he was the best.

He was 2nd to Torey Holt in receptions (590 to 531) and yards (8078 to 8036).

He was 6th in tds (48) behind Moss (71), TO (70), Marvin Harrison (61), Holt (52), and Whines Hard (50).

But Chad's 15.1 per catch was better than any of those guys.  Among the top 25 in receptions Plaxico Burress is the only other player with an average over 15, but Chad had over 150 more catches than Burress.

BTW I had completely forgotten how great Torey Holt was.  For almost a decade (8 years from '00 to '07) he dominated.  He was number one in receptions averaging 94 per year.  He was number one in yards (over 1200 more than Harrison) averaging 1385 per year.  And he was 4th in tds.  For his career he is 9th in receiving yards per game and he is tied with 4 other WRs for most 1600 yard seasons (2).

Why isn't Torey Holt in the Hall of Fame?

Not sure how big a stretch that is. His numbers were among the best in the NFL over that stretch. You could make an argument that he was at the top. Certainly top 2-4. Very nearly #1 in yards, and #1 in YPC among the top WR's? Only Holt was ahead in all 3 categories.

As for why Holt isn't in the HOF? I guess he and Isaac Bruce (who also has phenomenal numbers) cancel each other out? Kind of a weak excuse, but I see that with MVP votes in the NBA all the time. Durant and Steph Curry supposedly canceled each other out. Shaq and Kobe.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote