Poll: C'mon man, THIS IS WHAT WE NEED!
A. Jake Butt, TE Michigan - Aaron Hernandez killed like a dozen people, but Gronk and him was a SWEET idea...
B. Jabril Peppers, S/LB Michigan - Did Ed Reed have a baby with Ray Lewis and they shipped him to Ann Arbor?
C. Mike Williams, WR Clemson - Uh Boyd as the #3... Did my brain just explode? Greatest Show on Turf Part Deux.
D. Leonard Fournette, RB LSU - Sorry Jeremy, but hey, he did go to LSU.
E. Derek Barnett, DE Tennessee - RG3 is going to be shaking in his boots.
F. Malik McDowell, DE/DT Michigan State - Sorry Domata, but hey, he did go to Michigan State... Cya.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What college PLAYMAKER do you want the most?
(12-20-2016, 09:41 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: You cant really hold Fournette skipping the bowl game against him though. A Large majority of the guys in CFB are playing for a chance at the nfl, dude knows he is a lock for round one and isnt nor should he risk an injury. Remember what happened to Jaylon Smith?

I remember Jaylon Smith, and Ogbuehi also blew out his knee in his team's bowl game.  I understand it, and it's not a giant factor for me, but it still raises questions about what he's going to do if he gets dinged late during a contract year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2016, 09:57 PM)MC Howley Wrote: My delusions have finally ended. Now its time to start looking towards drafting some more GAME CHANGERS...

And by the way, lets all be a little bit positive here... Boyd looks amazing, Eifert isn't making another Pro-Bowl so he will be 100% for next year... and looking awesome right now...

We got William Jackson III (straight up stud some people call him Revis Island Jr., I bet) and Andrew Billings (605-bench, 905-squat, Powerclean-475..total 1,985... does yoga to stay flexible, oh my god)... BEAST MODE!

Plus, ALEX ERICKSON? Dude, is crushing it. Oh myyyyy! Should change his name to HE HATE ME.

Anyways... Like we all are guessing... We are only going to get richer in the offseason.. And maybe double richer if we get another 1st or 2nd rounder for AJ McCarron (cya)..

So WHO & WHAT DOES EVERYONE WANT? Lets vote it out. 

[Image: HALCA-Vote-180x180.jpg]
[Image: 2977800.png&w=350&h=254]
Hey! I'm Alex Ericsson and Devin Hester is inside of me like that Marlon Wayans ghost movie The 6th Man.

Easy vote for me, Derek Barnett hands down.

Another game changing pass rusher on the other side of Dunlap will wreak havoc with Geno and Billings.
Reply/Quote
Reuben Foster
Jamal Adams
Derek Barnett
Dalvin Cook
John Ross

In about that order
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure what to make of Peppers.  The guy has outrageous athleticism, football iq, and drive but what I'd assume to be his natural position is already occupied by Iloka.  

I'm not sure what to make of Barnett either.  At 6'3 he's a little smaller than how this team usually likes their DEs and he's not a super quick twitch rusher.  

The players who would fit those roles and what this team usually looks for are guys like Taco Charlton & Marcus Maye, but they are labeled as being slightly inferior prospects.

My vote goes to Foster, just because there aren't the question marks about role and whatnot. He seems like a plug-and-play great linebacker.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 10:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: I remember Jaylon Smith, and Ogbuehi also blew out his knee in his team's bowl game.  I understand it, and it's not a giant factor for me, but it still raises questions about what he's going to do if he gets dinged late during a contract year.

To me that's not an accurate comparison.  These bowl games are just exhibitions these days, they don't have any real importance to them outside of the Playoff and the New Year's 6.  To me, it's comparable to a preseason game.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2016, 08:07 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I'm not sure what to make of Peppers.  The guy has outrageous athleticism, football iq, and drive but what I'd assume to be his natural position is already occupied by Iloka.  

I'm not sure what to make of Barnett either.  At 6'3 he's a little smaller than how this team usually likes their DEs and he's not a super quick twitch rusher.  

The players who would fit those roles and what this team usually looks for are guys like Taco Charlton & Marcus Maye, but they are labeled as being slightly inferior prospects.

My vote goes to Foster, just because there aren't the question marks about role and whatnot.  He seems like a plug-and-play great linebacker.

This scouting department needs to stop looking at size in determining a players value. Especially Ends.

I think if we got a Kahlil Mack or a Von Miller we would all be ecstatic.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 02:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This scouting department needs to stop looking at size in determining a players value. Especially Ends.

If you're an under sized pass rusher, you need to be explosive off the snap. Barnett isn't. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 03:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: If you're an under sized pass rusher, you need to be explosive off the snap. Barnett isn't. 

Why is this guy being portayed as an early first round pick if he is so unexplosive?
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 04:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Why is this guy being portayed as an early first round pick if he is so unexplosive?

He's not.  He's generally ranked as a mid-late first. Highest I've seen him is 13, lowest is 19.

People are going gaga over his sack numbers, but again, those are inflated by his coaches giving him favorable matchups and his habit of guessing at the snap count, which causes him to also be called off sides a lot.

He's a good prospect, imo, but he's a lot closer to the late first-early second DE's than Allen or Garrett.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 02:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This scouting department needs to stop looking at size in determining a players value. Especially Ends.

I agree that they have missed out in the past due to always looking for 6'6" behemoths, but Barnett does not seem like a Mack or Miller type of player to me.  
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 06:18 PM)Whatever Wrote: He's not.  He's generally ranked as a mid-late first. Highest I've seen him is 13, lowest is 19.

People are going gaga over his sack numbers, but again, those are inflated by his coaches giving him favorable matchups and his habit of guessing at the snap count, which causes him to also be called off sides a lot.

He's a good prospect, imo, but he's a lot closer to the late first-early second DE's than Allen or Garrett.

Nice post, thanks for this. We just need a pass rushing LDE opposite of Dunlap and our D-line i think can get
back to what it was at the very least. Allen and Garrett i am going to need to study up more on. I know Allen
is big and versatile. He might be the guy we need.

Garrett i need to know more about...

The season isn't even over yet so i am trying to start studying. Cool

(12-28-2016, 06:42 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I agree that they have missed out in the past due to always looking for 6'6" behemoths, but Barnett does not seem like a Mack or Miller type of player to me.  

Yeah, those guys don't come around often. I just don't like how our coaches pigeon hole us into certain body types.

Mack and Miller play in a 4-3 pretty often. Not like you have to have 6'6" Ends in a 4-3.
Reply/Quote
I voted for Williams, as I think he's the surest bet to be a Superstar from that list. But honestly, my thoughts narrowed it down to Barnett and Williams.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 02:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Mack and Miller play in a 4-3 pretty often. Not like you have to have 6'6" Ends in a 4-3.

Quick now name one short weak side 4-3 defensive end where length is important.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I did not choose Peppers, but I think he worth a long look. I'm willing to see how he performs at the combine before a final judgement.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 06:07 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I did not choose Peppers, but I think he worth a long look.  I'm willing to see how he performs at the combine before a final judgement.

He needs a definitive position for Marvin and Co. to consider him. They don't care for athletes that don't have a set positon. That's why they ignored Devin Hester back in 2006.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 05:32 PM)Synric Wrote: Quick now name one short weak side 4-3 defensive end where length is important.

I don't understand. Length is important but being a good pass rusher is more important.

Guess you disagree with me.

I love Dunlap but surely, being that tall is not more important then being able to rush the passer (MJ).
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 05:32 PM)Synric Wrote: Quick now name one short weak side 4-3 defensive end where length is important.

Frank Clark has 9 sacks, which would lead this team, and he's 6'2".
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 09:01 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Frank Clark has 9 sacks, which would lead this team, and he's 6'2".

Doesn't Bruce Irvin play on the weakside in Oakland?

He has been playing pretty damn good this season.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 06:18 PM)Whatever Wrote: He's not.  He's generally ranked as a mid-late first. Highest I've seen him is 13, lowest is 19.

The more I watch this DE class, the less I think we will get a Pro Bowl caliber DE outside of the two names you mentioned.  When I look at DEs I want to see first step quickness, an ability to dip and bend around the OT, and a counter move.  I'm not seeing a lot of first step quickness.  To me, Tim Williams has the quickest first step.  If the Bengals only used him as a situational pass rusher, they would get snaps out of him than recent picks like Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Ogbuehi, and WJIII.  Plus he has the arrest for carrying a pistol without a permit and I wonder if there is anything else.  He reminds me of Von Miller, though.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2016, 04:54 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The more I watch this DE class, the less I think we will get a Pro Bowl caliber DE outside of the two names you mentioned.  When I look at DEs I want to see first step quickness, an ability to dip and bend around the OT, and a counter move.  I'm not seeing a lot of first step quickness.  To me, Tim Williams has the quickest first step.  If the Bengals only used him as a situational pass rusher, they would get snaps out of him than recent picks like Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Ogbuehi, and WJIII.  Plus he has the arrest for carrying a pistol without a permit and I wonder if there is anything else.  He reminds me of Von Miller, though.

Williams is an intriguing prospect, to be sure.  If he can play SLB, he could kill two birds with one stone by adding some desperately needed talent to the LB corps and helping the pass rush.  The gun charge probably makes him too much of a risk at #8, though.

Takk McKinley is a similar type of player.  He perhaps doesn't have quite the first Williams does, but he has great closing speed.  UCLA will line him up at MIKE and let him blitz on occasion, and it creates a lot of chaos.  
Reply/Quote