Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What could Mike, Marv and Dalton do to sway your opinion of them?
Obviously the Bengals have enjoyed unprecedented regular season success over the last 4 years. They've also set NFL records for playoff ineptitude during the same span. Pretty much everyone places the most blame for that on either the Owner, Head Coach and QB for the failures. Or some combination of the three.

So what are 3 things that each one could do that would sway your opinion of them and make you feel close to 100% positive about them going forward? I'll start this off. Hopefully it gets some good discussion going.

Mike Brown

1. Build a practice facility. Marv wants one. The players want one. This alone should be enough to make fans want one as well.

2. Hire a GM. This might be something that should wait until Marv moves on, but a GM would help this franchise maintain continuity through coaching changes. It'd also fill Marv's void as a voice of reason to tell Mike Brown that trying a TE at Center may not be a good idea. I'd like to see Marv in this role if he decides to step down at some point, although I'm not sure he'd be interested.

3. Hold sub-par coaches and players accountable. Don't reward mediocrity with loyalty. Restructure a contract every now and then if warranted. Great franchises do this all the time.

Marvin Lewis

1. Be more aggressive in playoff games. I'm not one of those that always says Marv needs to be more aggressive. He actually has been much more aggressive lately, going for it on 4th down a lot, mixing in trick plays, etc. In the playoffs this seems to disappear though. It just feels like we've never had a creative game plan in a playoff game.

2. Find some natural leaders, and don't discourage them when they show this trait. This team is lacking in that category.

3. Find a way to get this team hot going into the playoffs. Easier said then done I guess.

Andy Dalton

1. Cut down the INT's. Pretty simple. 17-20 is just too many. 12-14 would be better.

2. Play better against the Browns. Dalton was fine against the Ravens and Steelers last year. Against the Browns, saying he's tough to watch is putting it nicely. It just seems like he sails every throw. It's tough to figure out why Dalton can look good one week, then look like this against the Browns (or occasionally other teams).

3. Find a target not named AJ Green that he relies on regularly. MLJ and Eifert are obvious candidates. Dalton pretty much ignored Sanu when AJ was healthy last year. It makes our offense extremely predictable when opposing defenses only have to worry about stopping AJ Green.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
For me it's actually pretty simple; make a legitimate run at the Super Bowl. I've waited 25 years for that....far too long for any fan.

In terms of the actual details that can get us there are up for debate. My 2 cents is that these 3 clowns together will never get us close to a Super Bowl. I'd say at the very least 2 of them have to go.
Reply/Quote
Win a playoff game.
Reply/Quote
Change my opinion of them?

Well, Marvin could have a bunch of consecutive losing seasons and I might stop thinking he's one of the top two or three coaches in the NFL.

Andy could have a miserable season, post a losing record, and miss the playoffs the next 5 years in a row and I might stop thinking he's one of the top QBs in the league and I might change my opinion that the guy is a winner.

Mike Brown could dismantle the team and we could have another decade like the 1990s and I would stop thinking he was the best GM in football. And I might start blaming him for the failures of the 1990s instead of his father - who actually was more to blame than Mike was.

But none of that is likely to happen so I probably won't change my opinions of any of them and will continue to hold them in high regard.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 08:18 PM)Joe Pong Wrote: Change my opinion of them?

Well, Marvin could have a bunch of consecutive losing seasons and I might stop thinking he's one of the top two or three coaches in the NFL.

Andy could have a miserable season, post a losing record, and miss the playoffs the next 5 years in a row and I might  stop thinking he's one of the top QBs in the league and I might change my opinion that the guy is a winner.

Mike Brown could dismantle the team and we could have another decade like the 1990s and I would stop thinking he was the best GM in football. And I might start blaming him for the failures of the 1990s instead of his father - who actually was more to blame than Mike was.

But none of that is likely to happen so I probably won't change my opinions of any of them and will continue to hold them in high regard.

So we ban the negative trolls, yes? Is there a reason we can't ban the same poster on the other end of the spectrum? 
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 08:37 PM)MrRager Wrote: So we ban the negative trolls, yes? Is there a reason we can't ban the same poster on the other end of the spectrum? 

What did I say that is even remotely arguable?

Dalton has been a starting QB since day 1 in the NFL. He's made they playoffs every single year he's been on the NFL. He's broken all sorts of single season team passing records.  He's played in a couple pro bowls. And his numbers through four years are comparable to the all-time greats.

Marvin Lewis is one of a very few coaches who has been in the playoffs 4 straight seasons and 5 of the last 6 years. And although he's done it with a great young QB under center, he still has to get some of the credit. And for those who disagree about Dalton being a very QB- well, that just means Marvin Lewis is even a greater coach. I mean, any coach who can take a team to the playoffs that many times in a row with a mediocre QB in this era that is dominated by QB play - well, he should just go straight to Canton. Name one other coach in this era who has done that.

And Mike Brown, well he won executive of the year recently, and year after year they are recognized as being one of the top drafting teams and developing and keeping their own talent. And they've been an perennial playoff team.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 07:57 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Win a playoff game.

That's the obvious answer, but I was looking for a little more detailed answers.

What could they change that may lead to playoff wins?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown :

1. Build a room and a shrine at the stadium and start a Bengals Hall of Fame. It's time to start building a winning culture here.

2. Indoor Practice Facility

3. Hire a GM

Marvin Lewis :

1. Make a list of everything you've ever done at halftime of every playoff game and vow to never do any of that again.

2. Quit pissing your pants every time you see the Steelers on the opposite sideline.

3. Win a damn playoff game

Andy Dalton :

1. Do whatever it takes to regain the confidence and swagger you had in the first 5 games last season and retain it throughout this season.

2. In the first two series of every game try and hit the receivers in the knees.

3. And yes stop throwing every other pass to AJ whether he's covered or not !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 08:18 PM)Joe Pong Wrote: And I might start blaming him for the failures of the 1990s instead of his father - who actually was more to blame than Mike was.

[Image: image.jpg?w=554&c=1]
Reply/Quote
Win...win it all

Take no prisoners, don't think of the other teams feelings. Step on the gas and freaking go.

Just freaking win.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 10:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's the obvious answer, but I was looking for a little more detailed answers.

What could they change that may lead to playoff wins?

Achieving a #1 or #2 seed would be pretty big.  Getting that seed and winning at least one playoff game would turn the tide for me.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 10:48 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Achieving a #1 or #2 seed would be pretty big.  Getting that seed and winning at least one playoff game would turn the tide for me.

I agree. Getting a high seed could be just what this team needs to get over the hump. 
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
Win a Super Bowl and all the negativity wouldn't matter.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Win the Super Bowl. That is the one and only way.
Reply/Quote
Marvin- Win a playoff game
Andy- Win a playoff game
Brown- Lose one of these guys if we lose another playoff game
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 09:52 PM)Joe Pong Wrote: What did I say that is even remotely arguable?

You think Marvin is better than Carroll, Belicheck, and Harbaugh? Not even just think he is better, but that it is not even arguable? 
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Mike: Keep giving up the reigns. He still has a hold on some of this team, but when he's allowed his coaches and other personnel make decisions (such as drafting), things have gone well. He's a good business man, but would like to see him give up more power.

Marvin: Win a playoff game. Seriously. They've won the North, gone undefeated at home, beaten Super Bowl champs the year after. Done everything BUT win a playoff game.

Dalton: Win a playoff game and actually play well in it. That's it. He shows up in the regular season, just playoff games he's a shell of his regular season self. I don't know what it is, I really don't. He's beaten playoff teams before and done well against them. He's had poise in big game situations. I just don't understand it in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
The tied is turning on Mike, the last 10 years have proven the organization is headed in the right direction. For Andy and Marvin its going to be getting the money off their backs and winning playoff games, yes games with an s on the end not just one.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
At this point there is nothing Mike Brown can do to sway my opinion of him.

That's kinda like asking what could sway your opinion of someone who's hit you over the head for thirty years....

tman
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 07:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Obviously the Bengals have enjoyed unprecedented regular season success over the last 4 years. They've also set NFL records for playoff ineptitude during the same span. Pretty much everyone places the most blame for that on either the Owner, Head Coach and QB for the failures. Or some combination of the three.

So what are 3 things that each one could do that would sway your opinion of them and make you feel close to 100% positive about them going forward? I'll start this off. Hopefully it gets some good discussion going.

Mike Brown

1. Build a practice facility. Marv wants one. The players want one. This alone should be enough to make fans want one as well.

2. Hire a GM. This might be something that should wait until Marv moves on, but a GM would help this franchise maintain continuity through coaching changes. It'd also fill Marv's void as a voice of reason to tell Mike Brown that trying a TE at Center may not be a good idea. I'd like to see Marv in this role if he decides to step down at some point, although I'm not sure he'd be interested.

3. Hold sub-par coaches and players accountable. Don't reward mediocrity with loyalty. Restructure a contract every now and then if warranted. Great franchises do this all the time.

Marvin Lewis

1. Be more aggressive in playoff games. I'm not one of those that always says Marv needs to be more aggressive. He actually has been much more aggressive lately, going for it on 4th down a lot, mixing in trick plays, etc. In the playoffs this seems to disappear though. It just feels like we've never had a creative game plan in a playoff game.

2. Find some natural leaders, and don't discourage them when they show this trait. This team is lacking in that category.

3. Find a way to get this team hot going into the playoffs. Easier said then done I guess.

Andy Dalton

1. Cut down the INT's. Pretty simple. 17-20 is just too many. 12-14 would be better.

2. Play better against the Browns. Dalton was fine against the Ravens and Steelers last year. Against the Browns, saying he's tough to watch is putting it nicely. It just seems like he sails every throw. It's tough to figure out why Dalton can look good one week, then look like this against the Browns (or occasionally other teams).

3. Find a target not named AJ Green that he relies on regularly. MLJ and Eifert are obvious candidates. Dalton pretty much ignored Sanu when AJ was healthy last year. It makes our offense extremely predictable when opposing defenses only have to worry about stopping AJ Green.

MB - I have no issues with him. He is loyal to his employees. He has proven he can change as he has helped change the culture of the franchise. The only thing lacking is post season success which I think is coming.

ML - ML reshaped a troubled franchise. My knock on ML is his ability to adapt a game plan after halftime. It has been an issue his entire career.

AD - I also have no major issues with Andy. He needs to secure  the ball better (so did Brett Favre and the QB darling a  year ago Bridgewater only had 14 TD's with 12 picks) as do a lot of NFL QB's. He lost one playoff game he was favored in and one playoff game had college talent (Colts) due to injury. He has 4 short years of NFL experience and was a 2nd round draft pick. Only one QB picked ahead of him in the 2011 draft (#1 overall Cam has come close to his NFL success) is still around starting.

I know I will get called a homer for being optimistic and not trashing all 3, but I am not going to pile on when I disagree and in many cases am at the other end of the spectrum. The reality is fans are upset for not winning playoff games, I am too, but I won't give those 3 100% of the blame. I have watched way too many grown men who make a lot of money tank in playoff games, thus I have a long list of players/reasons why we got there, but did not win a playoff game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote