Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What "crisis" on Mexican border?
(05-08-2018, 12:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What effect specifically?  

What benefit is there to these deportations?

More USC and legal immigrants being hired. They have been running raids all over. It’s been a wonderful boost to the community.
(05-07-2018, 03:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Illegal crossing on the Mexican border are at the lowest levels EVER.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuartanderson/2017/12/05/wheres-the-immigration-crisis-u-s-border-patrol-reports-illegal-border-crossings-at-record-low/#61943dd94b73

So why all the screaming about the "crisis" on our southern border?  Because Trump has to sell hate and fear to get re-elected.  Trump is a brilliant sales man and he knows how to motivate his base.  He has convinced his followers that the biggest threat to them is "losing their country".

Trump has not been able to repeal and replace the ACA.  

His tax cuts are not "supercharging" the economy the way he suggested they would, and while popular with some people they are also seen as a gift to the wealthy by many.

He has some traction with North Korea right now, but I think he realizes he is not going to get what he wants without giving up a lot.  Once his base sees that he can not get what he wants just by threatening, and will actually have to negotiate and give up some things they will not be as impressed.

So that leaves his last big selling point as "protecting us from Mexico".  Even though illegal crossing are at an all time low.  And even though illegal crossing only account for about a third of illegal immigrants Trump still has to sale the border issue as a "crisis".

I wonder if there will be any Republicans brave enough to stand up against this.  Republicans used to be opposed to wasting billions in government spending to fix a crisis that does not exist, but everything has changed.  They just don't seem to care anymore.

Well, obviously there must be a crisis!

Why else would we need a wall? Ninja
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(05-08-2018, 03:12 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: More USC and legal immigrants being hired. 

How would you even know if this is true?
(05-08-2018, 12:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I see we are starting to get off track again.  

Let me ask all of you fans of the wall why you think Trump is talking so much about a "crisis" on the border at the same time that illegal border crossings are at an all time low?  Especially since illegal border crossings only account for about a third of all illegal immigrants in the US.

What is your explanation for that?

I don't think we've gotten off track as the OP was a laundry list of bad things that Trump has done. NO ONE is gonna get off of that track. But to answer your question.

Perhaps Trump's rhetoric is the reason for the reduced illegal immigration, perhaps folks realize there is no more free chicken here. The premise of the OP is silly. Trump getting "blamed" for a good thing. Unless of course  one is of the mindset that reduced illegal immigration is not a good thing.

As to a crisis (I've got to give you one sentence you can extract for the whole post and ask a question about): What constitutes a crisis? isn't it in the eye of the beholder?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-08-2018, 04:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How would you even know if this is true?

Because I personally know some of the owners of those businesses being raided.

They are hiring or have hired people to replace.
(05-08-2018, 08:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Let me lead you by the hands.

First I showed you how there was no "Crisis" regarding illegal immigrants crossing the Mexican border.  Then I explained why our President was lying so much about it.  Because there would be no need for a thread explaining to everyone that there is no crisis on the border if so many people were not falling for this story from the President.  So it is all part of one major issue.  

And since some people can not even understand the concept of criticizing Trump I explained why he was leqning so much on this lie to rally his base.  It is because he is not really succeeding on his other promises.

Sorry you guys could not make the connection.

Understand now?

Yes. You fap with your left hand!
(05-08-2018, 07:21 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Because I personally know some of the owners of those businesses being raided.  

They are hiring or have hired people to replace.

Have those businesses been fined or owners arrested?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-08-2018, 10:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: Have those businesses been fined or owners arrested?

No arrests, not sure on fines. They did say they had social security numbers that checked out. Identity theft is an issue with the illegals.
(05-08-2018, 07:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  What constitutes a crisis? isn't it in the eye of the beholder?

You mean "Isn't it true just because Trump says it is?"

No.  That is not how it works.
(05-08-2018, 07:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps Trump's rhetoric is the reason for the reduced illegal immigration, perhaps folks realize there is no more free chicken here. 

Perhaps you should look at the numbers before making these wild suggestions.

Border arrests (the best measure we have for illegal crossings) peaked at 1.6 million in 2000.  The numbers went down over the years and after Obama beefed up border security in '10 they dropped to 337 thousand in '11.  In 2017 they reached an all time low of 303 thousand.
(05-09-2018, 12:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Perhaps you should look at the numbers before making these wild suggestions.

Border arrests (the best measure we have for illegal crossings) peaked at 1.6 million in 2000.  The numbers went down over the years and after Obama beefed up border security in '10 they dropped to 337 thousand in '11.  In 2017 they reached an all time low of 303 thousand.

The recession had a good bit to do with that drop also.
(05-09-2018, 12:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Perhaps you should look at the numbers before making these wild suggestions.

Hell you're the one that posted the OP about how illegal crossing are at record lows. You asked for a suggestion to explain the dynamic of you OP and one was provided. Tell me what exactly you want me to say and I will say it to save time. Or you can just say it for me and I won't even have to chime in. Matter of fact let's roll with that option.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-09-2018, 01:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  Or you can just say it for me and I won't even have to chime in. Matter of fact let's roll with that option.

(05-09-2018, 01:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  Trump is desperate to rally support so he is resorting to fear mongering.  He is making up claims of a "crisis" on the Mexican border so that he can "save" us from this crisis that does not exist with a multibillion dollar wall that will accomplish nothing.
(05-09-2018, 12:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You mean "Isn't it true just because Trump says it is?"

No.  That is not how it works.

In the same vein "It's false just because Trump says its true" is also not how it works. 

Glad we could agree on something. ThumbsUp
(05-09-2018, 01:39 PM)PhilHos Wrote: In the same vein "It's false just because Trump says its true" is also not how it works. 

Glad we could agree on something. ThumbsUp

Given the amount of provable lies Trump tells one would have to take everything he says with a large grain of salt.
Holder isn't out in California for nothing.
(05-09-2018, 01:42 PM)GMDino Wrote: Given the amount of provable lies Trump tells one would have to take everything he says with a large grain of salt.

You can be skeptical of everything Trump says (I'm pretty skeptical of anything ANY politician says nowadays) but you can't just say that something he said is untrue just because he said it.
(05-09-2018, 01:48 PM)PhilHos Wrote: You can be skeptical of everything Trump says (I'm pretty skeptical of anything ANY politician says nowadays) but you can't just say that something he said is untrue just because he said it.

While I am reminded of something a college friend used to say "There are not absolutes" there is the law of averages.   Smirk