Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What did you "collect" when you were a kid.
(09-21-2018, 07:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So many of y'all keep talking about "allowances", wtf was that? If I wanted some money, and I asked my Dad? He said, grab the mower, and start going door to door..

No mower cause there was no grass in our city dirt yards.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 08:51 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: No mower cause there was no grass in our city dirt yards.

Man, that would have been terrible.  My primary source of income was mowing yards, shoveling snow, and a paper route.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 08:44 AM)Interceptor Wrote: 1977-79 Baseball cards. But I flipped them like everyone else.

1992 Re-introduced to collecting. Basically football cards (made Bengals team sets), and breaking boxes.
Stopped collecting in 1998 as the market was oversaturated.

2005 Got back into collecting (but slowly this time), mostly individual vintage and superstar cards.

[Image: 7I5owEP.jpg?1]
You've got some damn nice cards there dude! What does that Otto Graham book for?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 10:01 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: You've got some damn nice cards there dude!  What does that Otto Graham book for?

Thanks! Not sure what the Otto goes for. It's been almost 10 years since I've laid eyes on a price guide.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 07:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So many of y'all keep talking about "allowances", wtf was that?  If I wanted some money, and I asked my Dad?  He said, grab the mower, and start going door to door..

Give me a break.  I am certain you had toys before you were old enough to earn money mowing yards.

Kids should have certain chores to earn their allowance, and they should learn to handle their own money before they are old enough to go earn it from someone else.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 01:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Give me a break.  I am certain you had toys before you were old enough to earn money mowing yards.

Kids should have certain chores to earn their allowance, and they should learn to handle their own money before they are old enough to go earn it from someone else.

Sure, I got birthday and Christmas gifts, just like everyone else.  Once I reached 9 years old, Dad said that if I wanted money to go skating, to buy candy, beer cans for my collection, etc., that it was time to start earning money.

He wasn't just a hardass in mouth only, he led by example.  Dad worked at a Chrysler foundry, and also did roofing on the evenings and weekends for about 6 months of the year.  And, I was never permitted to mow yards for money, until ours was done to his satisfaction, first.

Back then, the average rate for mowing a yard was #2-$3, maybe $5 if it was like a 1/2 AC or something. A generous neighbor once gave me $10 for my services, and my father made me take $5 back to him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Ass whoopins'.

I collected ass whoopins', Fred.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Not very prolific at any of them, but I collected pennies, beer cans, and match books.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Star Wars toys.

I had them all, and thanks to visits to the Kenner factory whenever we had out of town guests with kids, I had a literal army of storm troopers.

Pretty much everything was kept in the box, as that was the only way I could fit the stuff in my closet.

Around age 19 or 20 I sold it to all to a coworker for around $500 in order to pay some bills without any remote idea of the value.

Upon cataloging it all and checking his price guides, he said the collection was wort roughly $5k.

He was nice enough to kick me another $100 because of it, but I was still livid.

Here we are, 25 years later, and I can't help wonder how much the stuff would be worth today...
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 10:14 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Ass whoopins'.

I collected ass whoopins', Fred.

Which is why many of us made it a full time job to remove every switch from every tree in the back yard. 
Why, when we were little it was nothing to see moms beating kids with switches.. Now they get hauled off to the pokey for disciplining wayward children . lol
You youngins probably wonder why us old guys all have thick wallets in both back pockets.. a time tested proven strategy to avoid moms wrath..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 11:51 AM)grampahol Wrote: Which is why many of us made it a full time job to remove every switch from every tree in the back yard. 
Why, when we were little it was nothing to see moms beating kids with switches.. Now they get hauled off to the pokey for disciplining wayward children . lol
You youngins probably wonder why us old guys all have thick wallets in both back pockets.. a time tested proven strategy to avoid moms wrath..

Switches... oh yeah! My old man had no problem pulling the car off the side of the road. In fact, he added a bit of drama to it. He would slowly walk  you to the nearest tree, make you pick out a thin branch (he'd get the final choice, of course), make you watch as he pulled out his pocket knife and shaved it off, and then he would tell you to bend over!

Kids today probably don't even know what a switch is. They'll ask if you mean 'light switch'. No kidding, I saw on Facebook yesterday where a mother was taken to court for taking away her daughter's cellphone!!
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Early on I was a weird kid. I collected Dungeons and Dragons pewter figurines around age 8-10. I even had a display case for them. They were meant to be painted but I never had the patience at that age to paint them.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Reptiles. I never stopped. Now I just have a real job, an overly tolerant wife, and much more expensive and logistically inappropriate species in my collection.
Reply/Quote
Baseball and football cards, Hot Wheels and Matchbox, had a lot of G.I. Joe figures and vehicles. I still have all of it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Golf balls, dad got mad at me because I had over 2000 one time and I decided to hit them into the cornfield..... Like Zona, I collected an ass whoop'in after that....
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 01:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Pretty much every kid I have ever known collects something.  In fact I think every child should have something they enjoy and are passionate enough about to collect.  Doesn't matter if it seems silly.  Doesn't matter if it changes every few weeks or months.  It is better than a child with no interest in anything.

When I was a kid I collected rocks and fossils like lots of other kids, but I also had a collection of paperback books of "Peanuts" comics.  Not "comic books" but actual little paperback books that just had a bunch of "Peanuts" comic strips.  I had a whole row of them on my bookshelves.  I also bough a bunch of NFL player cards one year, but lost interest pretty quickly.

So what did you guys collect.  Or what do your kids collect now.

Baseball Cards
Xmen Cards

Pogs briefly

Video games.....
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 04:30 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Golf balls, dad got mad at me because I had over 2000 one time and I decided to hit them into the cornfield..... Like Zona, I collected an ass whoop'in after that....

I don't know much or actually anything about farming, but yeah that sounds like it could cause a problem.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Pokemon cards (the original 151 pokemon)
Baseball cards (had quite a collection, few signed and game used bat cards. i think my favorites were a omar vizquel rookie card when he was on seattle. and a signed manny ramirez holographic card back when he was on the indians.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Starting when I was 13 or 14, I started collecting Pez Dispensers from Mr Bulky’s in the Florence Mall.

Have a hundred or so (I’m guessing).
Reply/Quote
Knives and Swords lol. Used to order from the Bud K, Smokey Mountian, and Cheaper than Dirt catalogs alot...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote