Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do ring chasers think of us, and us of them?
What's your thoughts? To me his is uncharted territory, we are finally a destination where ring chasers should be interested. Money talks for most, but when things are close being a contender helps. We have had some guys say they picked Cincy/Burrow as a winner, but we could be doing more.

There are still some descent FA, and there will be more that hit the market during final cuts. Cincy has reason to believe in their own depth, but as we get injuries it will be more obvious that we now have a new angle for attracting talent.

Are we too loyal to the system of growning depth, or do we see a legit version stopgap as worth signing...even if it means a Lassiter or Ben Brown shows potential but is risked on the practice squad. To me, the "win now" debate is here more than the debates a few months ago of trading picks like the Rams did. IF a remaining vet makes us better/provides insurance, I'm ok with losing out on a guy that might eventually become a starter elsewhere. Part of it could be culture too, they want everyone to buy in, but if a humbled vet is out there and wants to win, it's an opportunity we haven't had and should strongly consider.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2022, 12:35 PM)phil413 Wrote: What's your thoughts?  To me his is uncharted territory, we are finally a destination where ring chasers should be interested.  Money talks for most, but when things are close being a contender helps.  We have had some guys say they picked Cincy/Burrow as a winner, but we could be doing more.

There are still some descent FA, and there will be more that hit the market during final cuts.  Cincy has reason to believe in their own depth, but as we get injuries it will be more obvious that we now have a new angle for attracting talent.  

Are we too loyal to the system of growning depth, or do we see a legit version stopgap as worth signing...even if it means a Lassiter or Ben Brown shows potential but is risked on the practice squad.  To me, the "win now" debate is here more than the debates a few months ago of trading picks like the Rams did.  IF a remaining vet makes us better/provides insurance, I'm ok with losing out on a guy that might eventually become a starter elsewhere.  Part of it could be culture too, they want everyone to buy in, but if a humbled vet is out there and wants to win, it's an opportunity we haven't had and should strongly consider.

Burrow is appealing for FA players, and now players know Cincy has the potential to get into the postseason.
But I do think Bengals need to show themselves as perennial contenders to really draw in the ring chasers.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nice thread Phil, yes this is uncharted territory for us Bengal fans and for the team in general. If I was a FA out there
looking at rosters this would be one of the top teams if not the top I would be interested in if I wanted a ring. We were
the youngest roster to ever go to the SuperBowl and were one play away from winning it.

We have Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon and improved the OL which was our only weakness.

On Defense we have Hendrickson, Reader, Hubbard, Hilton, Awuzie, Logan Wilson. I mean our depth is the only question
and a good veteran could have a great shot at resurrecting their career here if someone went down. All the while chasing
the Lombardi.
Reply/Quote
If you have an elite QB, players will fall over themselves to join your team. The same thing is going on in Buffalo. Von Miller got a hefty contract from them but if they didn't have Josh Allen and were a five win team last year he never would have entertained them for any amount of money. The tide is starting to turn.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2022, 12:35 PM)phil413 Wrote: ...even if it means a Lassiter or Ben Brown shows potential but is risked on the practice squad.

Who? And who cares? How often has a 4th string/PS guy ever come up and done great things for the Bengals? Sure not helping the Bengals win a SB now. There's Lassiters and Ben Browns every single year. Give me guys who can help the Bengals win now. They have about a 2 year window before Burrow and Chase combine for ~$90-100m/yr in cap space compared to the $17m it is right now.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Ehh I don’t think free agents consider cincy to be on the LA, KC, and TB level yet.

If they did, I’d think cincy would have a legit number 4 receiver on the roster
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2022, 04:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Who? And who cares? How often has a 4th string/PS guy ever come up and done great things for the Bengals? Sure not helping the Bengals win a SB now. There's Lassiters and Ben Browns every single year. Give me guys who can help the Bengals win now. They have about a 2 year window before Burrow and Chase combine for ~$90-100m/yr in cap space compared to the $17m it is right now.

Yep

(07-30-2022, 07:28 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Ehh I don’t think free agents consider cincy to be on the LA, KC, and TB level yet.

And yep.

As far as ring chasing. I've never seen the Bengals make a signing that could be classified as ring chasing and i don't see them starting. They will sign FAs that fit their scheme and accept their payment structure. 

Could that change? Possibly, but i'll believe it when i see it. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I'd say we're going to have to have another playoff successful season before this really even enters many vet players minds about Cincinnati. There's still a lot of folks who think we were just a one year wonder.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2022, 03:15 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: If you have an elite QB, players will fall over themselves to join your team. The same thing is going on in Buffalo. Von Miller got a hefty contract from them but if they didn't have Josh Allen and were a five win team last year he never would have entertained them for any amount of money. The tide is starting to turn.

How would you possible know this? Money talks bro. He went to Buffalo because they gave him a bag. To say he wouldn’t take the money if it were a crappy team, say the Jags, is pure speculation. By the way, the Jags sign big FA all the time. Players want money and security first. And a distant second is how good the team is.
Reply/Quote
Guys, I am 74 and a half years old, which makes me a survivor of the 31 year drought and everything before it. As long as they aren't asshats or felons, I have absolutely no problem with signing anyone who can get me a Super Bowl champion tattoo (oh yes I will) before I head to the stadium in the sky.
Reply/Quote
The window is just now opening. I prefer the draft, develop, re-sign keys, rinse & repeat.

I think that once they have young talent in these 4-5 year windows on manageable deals the Bengals can work in bigger FAs.

What's going to kill the Bengals with this stuff is the guaranteed money in escrow. They don't have THAT much cash on hand.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2022, 07:28 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Ehh I don’t think free agents consider cincy to be on the LA, KC, and TB level yet.

A legit #4 Wr is not really much reality in the NFL.. You might have a couple breakouts each year but that not much else.  Hell look at this fantasy depth chart and what surprises me more is the lack of legit #3 WRs on teams... sure some draft picks with potential and maybe upcoming players but as far as legit made their mark already in the NFL i say over half the teams dont have  legit #3 Wrs much less a #4

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/depth-chart/WR/ 
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2022, 03:15 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: If you have an elite QB, players will fall over themselves to join your team. The same thing is going on in Buffalo. Von Miller got a hefty contract from them but if they didn't have Josh Allen and were a five win team last year he never would have entertained them for any amount of money. The tide is starting to turn.

First we water down elite way too much i feel, I hear it so much with dozen of QBs but in the end less than half of those end up being elite (Hof) over time in their career. Second i think what is more clear that players in the NFL go for the $$ before the ring.. since their careers are so short, normally it is the aging veteran in their 3/4 contract that might jump on the ring chance. 
Reply/Quote
Von Miller was getting a big bag of cash regardless of the team.

At that point a team with a SB chance does enter into the equation when balancing out the decision imo.

The Bengals need another run at SB to start pulling the ring chasers it seems to me though.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I think that the elite FA’s still aren’t coming here. 1. We don’t have the money. 2. It’s still a small market . However it’s incredibly more appealing than it was
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
If i were a ring chaser i basically have to decide us or a Florida/Cali team…..and I’m picking the warm weather 9 1/2 times outta 10.

The only thing that breaks this up is if I’m an older guy still looking for play time. Then I’d pick the team with the biggest hole at my position. If i were a FA corner I’d sign here sooooo fast. You telling me i can start for this team with this QB and this momentum and all i gotta do is beat out Eli Apple!!?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2022, 09:59 AM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Guys, I am 74 and a half years old, which makes me a survivor of the 31 year drought and everything before it. As long as they aren't asshats or felons, I have absolutely no problem with signing anyone who can get me a Super Bowl champion tattoo (oh yes I will) before I head to the stadium in the sky.
I don’t even care if we sign huge assholes.

I just wanna win. A ring with a completely gelled and unselfish team will be the same exact ring as winning a ring with a team that’s become a media circus like the Browns are right now.

You think anyone is gonna give AF about all this Browns stuff if they win a ring next year?

NOPE
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2022, 01:02 PM)Housh Wrote: I don’t even care if we sign huge assholes.

I just wanna win. A ring with a completely gelled and unselfish team will be the same exact ring as winning a ring with a team that’s become a media circus like the Browns are right now.

You think anyone is gonna give AF about all this Browns stuff if they win a ring next year?

NOPE
Regarding the Browns, all I care about is to thank the Lord I was smart enough to jump off that doomed ship back in 68.  

But yeah, I do care about the character of our players.  We have a great locker room and I want to keep it that way.  Not only the right thing to do, it's how you win.  Character is talent.

I kinda learned this the hard way. There's a Burfict jersey hanging in my closet...
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2022, 12:51 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think that the elite FA’s still aren’t coming here. 

Depends on how you define "elite".  Reader and Hendrickson are both top 10 paid at their position.

And remember that most top paid players never become free agents.  Teams resign their best players before letting the others leave in free agency.
Reply/Quote
Gronk and obj have both expressed interest in playing for the Bengals. That is really something all things considered
Reply/Quote