Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think the Bengals WILL DO this offseason?
(03-04-2023, 07:06 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: This is based on what I think they might do, at least from what they've said and based what cap will be available, and what money saving moves they can realistically be able to do.

Using the cap calculator, and accounting for extensions for Joe and Tee (I think they are both done by August)...as well as cap for draft/PS, this is what I came up with:

I have them freeing up money by cutting Mixon and doing a simple restructure on Trey. I think they hang onto Collins and wait to see where he is in training camp / preseason.

I have them re-signing:

QB Brandon Allen     1 yr- 1.25m 
RB Samaje Perine     2 yr - 5.75m   
SS Vonn Bell            3 yr- 22.5m   
TE- Hayden Hurst     2 yr- 12m   
CB- Tre Flowers        1 yr- 2.1m
CB- Jalen Davis        1 yr- 1.35m 
TE- Mitchell Wilcox           min
LB- Joe Bachie                 min
RB- Trayveon Williams      min
WR- Trent Taylor              min

And adding in free agency:

RT- Jermaine Eluemunor     2 yr- 8m   
ST- Cameron Fleming          1 yr- 2m
G- Will Hernandez               1 yr- 2.5m
CB- Jonathan Jones            2 yr- 11.75m  
DL- Morgan Fox                  2 yr- 9m    
DL- Justin Houston              1 yr- 3m

They address the o-line by getting a potential starter at RT in Elemunor (who can also play both G spots), a veteran swing tackle in Fleming and interior depth in Hernandez. If Carman can win RT, then Eluemunor becomes a top notch versatile backup. The line would be:

LT   Williams
LG   Volson
C     Karras
RG   Cappa
RT   Eluemunor / Carman

ST       Fleming 
ST/G    Carman / Eluemunor
G         Hernandez
C         Hill / Brown / Rookie

On defense, Fox and Houston add pash rush from the interior and edge. Jones is a quality, versatile vet who can play outside, in the slot and even safety in a pinch. These  guys give Lou 3 more proven pieces to utilize.

I would be really happy with this honestly Holic. Cannot believe Will Hernandez has been this bad as a pro that he could be that 
cheap after the talk that one year leading up to the Draft, crazy. Eluemunor or George Fant sound very likely for us at RT and 
shouldn't break the bank so we can keep most of our own. Jonathan Jones would help if Apple left and is probably an upgrade
even, but you know how I feel, I think Apple will be back. He is our kind of A-Hole lol

Also would love to add Fox the DT and Justin Houston who should be ring chasing late in their careers.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2023, 08:21 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I only see Mixon being cut if we take a RB in the first round, MAYBE the second if it's someone who falls in our laps. We're not tight for cap space yet... but the year after I don't think Mixon will be here.

I might end up being completely wrong, but I just don't see the logic in bringing him back. He doesn't really fit this offense very well, he's awful in pass protection and he doesn't have speed, creativity or elusiveness. There's no way to justify keeping him on the roster at 12m, IMO. Even if he's willing to do a new deal at a greatly reduced price, I just still don't think he's a good fit at this point.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2023, 09:05 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I might end up being completely wrong, but I just don't see the logic in bringing him back. He doesn't really fit this offense very well, he's awful in pass protection and he doesn't have speed, creativity or elusiveness. There's no way to justify keeping him on the roster at 12m, IMO. Even if he's willing to do a new deal at a greatly reduced price, I just still don't think he's a good fit at this point.

What Holic said, Mixon just doesn't fit even with a restructured contract even. All our RB's have to be great pass protectors in the Joe 
Burrow era and even Mixon leaves a lot to be desired with his poor vision at times and the way he doesn't hit the hole fast in front of 
him. There were tons of plays left on the field last season where a RB with better vision and more decisiveness would of turned a small
gain into a TD. 
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2023, 08:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would be really happy with this honesty Holic. Cannot believe Will Hernandez has been this bad as a pro that he could be that 
cheap after the talk that one year leading up to the Draft, crazy. Eluemunor or George Fant sound very likely for us at RT and 
shouldn't break the bank so we can keep most of our own. Jonathan Jones would help if Apple left and is probably an upgrade
even, but you know how I feel, I think Apple will be back. He is our kind of A-Hole lol

Also would love to add Fox the DT and Justin Houston who should be ring chasing late in their careers.

Yeah, the talk around the Cards is that their not looking to bring him back...but he's only being projected to get 3-4m in free agency if someone wants him as a starter. He's been extremely inconsistent in his career, but he was pretty decent this past season. If he's still out there after the 1st couple of waves, I think he's definitely an option.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2023, 09:18 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, the talk around the Cards is that their not looking to bring him back...but he's only being projected to get 3-4m in free agency if someone wants him as a starter. He's been extremely inconsistent in his career, but he was pretty decent this past season. If he's still out there after the 1st couple of waves, I think he's definitely an option.

Hernandez might be better than Volson, pretty crazy to say as well. Would be a nice competition at the very least which is what we
should always have. Volson could also compete at RT with Eluemunor in your scenario. The more competition the better. I don't see 
Carman moving to RT and playing well after what he has shown on the right side and this is what Pollack said could happen.

Couldn't believe it honestly, I think if there is one thing we learned with Carman with his poor play and his decent play as of late is 
that he is strictly a LT. Who knows, maybe Carman surprises me and finally makes the change and becomes versatile like Volson.

Volson's natural position is RT after all and he played every position but Center in college and did it all well.
Reply/Quote
Any scenario that involves Pratt staying is either foolish or unrealistic (unless of course the team decides to keep him over Wilson, which I don't see happening)

There is no way we are going to pay $12-$15 million per year for Pratt.

I expect minimal outside free agents. I don't think we sign any free agent starters and we do several extensions with our own guys
Reply/Quote
We'll find out soon - assuming they try to resign Hurst, Bell, Apple & Perine. And assuming Bates won't be back. I think if they do this, they won't be players for any of the top free agents with Burrow, Higgins and Wilson extensions hopefully coming soon. But to the extent that don't resign a Pratt or Hurst, I'm hoping we see them make a splash in free agency and then play with ADG at in Pratt's spot and a cheaper or rookie TE in Hurst spot

And if they don't draft an OT in rd 1 or 2, I'm hoping they pay some money to a veteran to come in as a backup so that we don't have to see Adeniji starting at RT again
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 05:04 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Any scenario that involves Pratt staying is either foolish or unrealistic (unless of course the team decides to keep him over Wilson, which I don't see happening)

There is no way we are going to pay $12-$15 million per year for Pratt.

I expect minimal outside free agents.  I don't think we sign any free agent starters and we do several extensions with our own guys

Yeah, Pratt ain't coming back unless he takes a deal under 10 mil per year.

We need a starter at RT, La'el won't be ready until mid season at the earliest. I hope the FO saw that what we did in FA last 
year in getting proven vets is the way to go. Add Eluemunor or Goerge Fant at RT, this would soften the blow if Carman fails
at RT like he did at RG.

(03-06-2023, 05:19 PM)bk42 Wrote: We'll find out soon - assuming they try to resign Hurst, Bell, Apple & Perine.  And assuming Bates won't be back.  I think if they do this, they won't be players for any of the top free agents with Burrow, Higgins and Wilson extensions hopefully coming soon.  But to the extent that don't resign a Pratt or Hurst, I'm hoping we see them make a splash in free agency and then play with ADG at in Pratt's spot and a cheaper or rookie TE in Hurst spot

And if they don't draft an OT in rd 1 or 2, I'm hoping they pay some money to a veteran to come in as a backup so that we don't have to see Adeniji starting at RT again

I think Hurst will be back, but I would be more confident in ADG taking Pratt's spot and a rookie TE if we do lose Hurst because 
he gets paid big time somewhere else. RT is where we cannot afford to have a rookie, or like you said, Adeniji.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2023, 03:53 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The guys we will shed are the guys who make a lot and are just average guys.

A.  The End is Near.
1. Mixon. $12.76 mil.  Save $7+ mil with waive. $10+ after June 1. Team option at $13.1 mil for 2024. No way that gets picked up. Maybe one more year. Probably restructure waived.

2. Jonah Williams. $12.6 mil. FA after this year. Is fully guaranteed, so cannot waive.

3. La'el Collins. $9.38 mil. $3.33 dead cap. $8.6/$1.6 next year.

I think we will let Carman try to win RT until Collins gets healthy and see if Jonah bounces back. If 2 of those guys ball out, we don't have a tackle problem, really. If 1 does, we need one next year. If 2 do, then we need 2. But Jonah & Collins sre not horrible when healthy, and neither was Carman at LT.

Past that? BJ Hill & Hubbard & Boyd are all right around $10 mil. Chido is at $8 mil. Got to pay Reader & Hendrickson.

The franchise tag for a RB is like $10 mill. No way do we pay Mixon close to $13 million a year for the next 2 years.

That said, the Bengals like to honor contracts.
Reply/Quote