Poll: What would you prefer to do?
Extend AJ Green beyond the Franchise Tag now.
Let AJ Green play with the Franchise Tag
Trade AJ Green for a draft pick, no earlier than #20 overall and no lower than #25 overall (just thinking about the average point value, not the teams picking there)
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you want to do with AJ Green?
(03-21-2020, 03:04 PM)RASCAL Wrote: play for the tag. What he has done in the past is past. New QB and if the Bengals play well ,Green will want to sign long term. He has NOT done a thing for us in a while, so put up or shut up. Paying these players long term is where teams get into trouble!!
These times call for tougher measures and most teams are rent a team anyway!

I would not say it with as much attitude, but I agree.

Given his age and injury issues Green can't really complain about having to play on a one year deal.  We will never know, but if we had let him test the waters I don't think any other team gives him a long term deal with more than $18M guaranteed.
Reply/Quote
Nothing.

Why even ask this question? He's franchised. Playout the season and see what he's got left in the tank then think about this.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 04:14 PM)motoarch Wrote: Nothing.

Why even ask this question?  He's franchised.  Playout the season and see what he's got left in the tank then think about this.

The purpose of the franchise tag isn't to use it to hold someone against their will.  It's intended to be a good faith gesture on the part of the team, to signify to the player that they want to work out a formal extension.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 12:03 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I'd offer a team friendly 3 year deal for $45m with a few million more guaranteed than his $18m. If it's not team friendly given his injury history/age, I'd make him prove it this year on the tag and try again next year if he bounces back. Eventually it'd be nice if they'd do those 1-2 year deals like Larry Fitzgerald. 

That’s the whole thing of it. If he can’t play consistently or is a shell of himself then how is even 15 Mil a year even team friendly? Isn’t his future health and production a huge gamble? Why take huge gambles on large contracts? Things normally blow up in this teams face as it is.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 12:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I know that it won't be the popular choice, as it is pretty high on the risk factor, but I say sign him to a 3 year deal.

With you on this.  
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 04:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The purpose of the franchise tag isn't to use it to hold someone against their will.  It's intended to be a good faith gesture on the part of the team, to signify to the player that they want to work out a formal extension.

Exactly, it isn't good when no one is happy. No one should be happy with the tag, not AJ, not anyone.

Nor should any fan. If we worked on a multiple year contract that took into account his age and injuries it would be much better.
Reply/Quote
The answer to the question has been pushed back to a year from now. By then, the answer might very well be clear. It won't even be possible to assess his health until TC and by then, the deadline to negotiate will have passed. Just gotta roll with it until this season ends.

The one thing that will not happen unless the season immediately turns to shit, is trading him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 04:36 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: That’s the whole thing of it. If he can’t play consistently or is a shell of himself then how is even 15 Mil a year even team friendly? Isn’t his future health and production a huge gamble? Why take huge gambles on large contracts? Things normally blow up in this teams face as it is.

When I said team friendly, I meant a deal that'd be easy to get out of after a year if he can't stay on the field. 

From what I read, it sounds like he looked good when he practiced last year. 
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 04:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I would not say it with as much attitude, but I agree.

Given his age and injury issues Green can't really complain about having to play on a one year deal.  We will never know, but if we had let him test the waters I don't think any other team gives him a long term deal with more than $18M guarante
sure you would Fred, it's what we do for a living!

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 05:02 PM)McC Wrote: The answer to the question has been pushed back to a year from now.  By then, the answer might very well be clear.  It won't even be possible to assess his health until TC and by then, the deadline to negotiate will have passed.  Just gotta roll with it until this season ends.  

The one thing that will not happen unless the season immediately turns to shit,  is trading him.

This.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn’t hesitate to trade him for a first round pick,if they would be that lucky.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 02:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: But AJ has missed more games than Ross the past couple of years.  Dude was just out an entire season with an ankle sprain.  I don't think ponying up huge money for an injury prone WR is a good plan to deal with another injury prone WR.

It is a risk.  But I also consider Green loyal and if he can play his franchise tag injury free, it will help all involved.  The ankle injury was a freak accident in my mind.  Green feels he has 4 or 5 years left in him; but even if it is a 3 year deal, Green would help Burrow and Burrow could help Green with ball placement.  I go back and forth on this Green extension dialogue.  Maybe Green will play out this year, and Bengals can draft two studly WR next year.  Maybe that is best direction.  

I think if Mims is there at #33, they take him.  He reminds me of Green, Higgins does too but Higgins cannot handle physical CB.  When I watched the OSU Clemson game, Higgins was handled.  As deep as the WR class appears this year, I think the Bengals are looking for a specific type of WR.  I don't know outside of Mims if there is one that will be available at #33.  I do see them selecting Aiyuk in round 3 to replace Ross.  But then it comes down to Aiyuk or a much higher need in linebacker or getting one of those stud safeties in Dugger or Chinn in round 3.  Bengals need another draft pick in round 3-4.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 05:03 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: When I said team friendly, I meant a deal that'd be easy to get out of after a year if he can't stay on the field. 

From what I read, it sounds like he looked good when he practiced last year. 

I thought that he complained about pain after he practiced? I doubt that he will sign a team friendly deal that’s easy to get out of. The thing is, this decision will have to be made again in 2-3 years just on age alone. Age, recent injury history, is he actually healthy, the price tag. There’s just so many questions. I’d just move on now but I look more at future and am not as sentimental as most fans. There should be some loyalty but not blind loyalty. Maybe he’s earned the show me tag but to sign him to a long term deal without knowing that he’s healthy sounds like a very poor business decision.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 10:47 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I thought that he complained about pain after he practiced? I doubt that he will sign a team friendly deal that’s easy to get out of. The thing is, this decision will have to be made again in 2-3 years just on age alone. Age, recent injury history, is he actually healthy, the price tag. There’s just so many questions. I’d just move on now but I look more at future and am not as sentimental as most fans. There should be some loyalty but not blind loyalty. Maybe he’s earned the show me tag but to sign him to a long term deal without knowing that he’s healthy sounds like a very poor business decision.

That's the reason for the tag.  It puts off any decision until they can see him play.  I'd say the chance of any deal before the July 15 deadline is pretty remote.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 10:44 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It is a risk.  But I also consider Green loyal and if he can play his franchise tag injury free, it will help all involved.  The ankle injury was a freak accident in my mind.  Green feels he has 4 or 5 years left in him; but even if it is a 3 year deal, Green would help Burrow and Burrow could help Green with ball placement.  I go back and forth on this Green extension dialogue.  Maybe Green will play out this year, and Bengals can draft two studly WR next year.  Maybe that is best direction.  

I think if Mims is there at #33, they take him.  He reminds me of Green, Higgins does too but Higgins cannot handle physical CB.  When I watched the OSU Clemson game, Higgins was handled.  As deep as the WR class appears this year, I think the Bengals are looking for a specific type of WR.  I don't know outside of Mims if there is one that will be available at #33.  I do see them selecting Aiyuk in round 3 to replace Ross.  But then it comes down to Aiyuk or a much higher need in linebacker or getting one of those stud safeties in Dugger or Chinn in round 3.  Bengals need another draft pick in round 3-4.  

If AJ can stay healthy, it could be a big help to Burrow.  I just don't have confidence he can stay healthy given his age and recent injury history.

We simply have too many needs to plug every hole on the roster in one offseason.  We're taking a QB #1 and 3 of our top 4 WR's are injury prone, plus 2 are in contract years.  Plus, it's a stacked WR class.  It's a weak LB class and frankly Dugger and Chinn are small school projects that aren't likely to provide immediate dividends in year 1.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 04:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The purpose of the franchise tag isn't to use it to hold someone against their will.  It's intended to be a good faith gesture on the part of the team, to signify to the player that they want to work out a formal extension.

That's the way I see it.  Too many bad vibes around the franchise tag given the Leveon Bell and Kirk Cousins and more players cases as of late.  AJ has been injured without it being a freak thing and possible "just sit out, we aren't going anywhere this year" sort of thing like it was in 2019 so I get it.

Still, the guy wants a long term deal or a shot to get a long term deal elsewhere.  I realize it isn't Mike Brown's job to make guys like AJ and Dalton happy, but geez these guys have been good soldiers for so long and the odds of either of them actually winning a playoff game in stripes are low.

I could be wrong of course, but I find it hard to believe tying either guy down is going to be what takes us over the proverbial 30-year hump.
Reply/Quote
Let him play out the tag and he stays healthy and puts up AJ like numbers then extend him for a few years.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I voted to trade him. It's not an easy decision. It would be odd not having him, but it would be helpful to have that extra pick, if as the poll says 20-25, followed by our regular at 33.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 11:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am curious what the majority of the board will choose here.   With Amari Cooper just getting $20 million per year on his new contract, I am assuming Green will want something close to that...$18 million per at a minimum.  I don't know the guaranteed dollars, and I'm sure that would be a sticking point....AJ will obviously want it, and the Bengals would prefer incentives.  Burrow openly campaigned for Green, so there's also that.  

The Bengals did use the Franchise Tag, so they want him.  I suppose much depends on things opening back up in USA.  No football season, No money.  I'm sure they would like to sit down with his agent and work out a deal.  Odds are they sat down with his agent before last season and no deal.  As Dave Lapham mentioned, he was out running and warming up great before games for a guy who never played.  Some of you said why should he risk injury, and you wanted #1 pick anyway.  OK, but if there is a season his sideline days end. 

The Bengals by Franchise Tag want him.  There are many factors before his agent and Bengals agree to longer contract.  Longer contract would be what most players want.  Most players hate the one year Franchise Tag.  What good is it if Green wants out all season.  Of course a longer contract would be best.  I feel his agent and Bengals don't see eye to eye the last year or two on a contract.  

If they don't reach a deal before season starts, Mike Brown almost never talks contracts during season like his dad Paul Brown.  The idea that once season starts, you focus on games, not contracts. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 10:44 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It is a risk.  But I also consider Green loyal and if he can play his franchise tag injury free, it will help all involved.  The ankle injury was a freak accident in my mind.  Green feels he has 4 or 5 years left in him; but even if it is a 3 year deal, Green would help Burrow and Burrow could help Green with ball placement.  I go back and forth on this Green extension dialogue.  Maybe Green will play out this year, and Bengals can draft two studly WR next year.  Maybe that is best direction.  

With you on Green...that's why I did the poll...wanted to see if the board would sway me one way or the other.  And as much as I like Reager, I think you are right that it is likely one of the Z receiver types.  I wouldn't give up on Higgins so quickly, though.  He was going against a top 5 CB in this year's draft and he is still a pretty amazing athlete.  Mims, Higgins, Shenault, and (later) Claypool and Pittman all fit that mold.  My latest mock had the Bengals sliding to the middle or Rd 2, drafting Claypool, and gaining an early third rounder which I used on a LB.  The other 3rd rounder I used on the safety as you mentioned.  Then, in the 4th, I got the RG from LSU, Lewis. 

WR in Rd 2 will be very interesting as there will be a lot of teams (or so I think) wanting to trade up to get "their guy" at #33...I hope the Bengals are flexible and will move off a guy like Jefferson to get a guy like Claypool AND Malik Jefferson the next round.  
Reply/Quote