Poll: What would you prefer to do?
Extend AJ Green beyond the Franchise Tag now.
Let AJ Green play with the Franchise Tag
Trade AJ Green for a draft pick, no earlier than #20 overall and no lower than #25 overall (just thinking about the average point value, not the teams picking there)
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you want to do with AJ Green?
(03-22-2020, 10:04 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: With you on Green...that's why I did the poll...wanted to see if the board would sway me one way or the other.  And as much as I like Reager, I think you are right that it is likely one of the Z receiver types.  I wouldn't give up on Higgins so quickly, though.  He was going against a top 5 CB in this year's draft and he is still a pretty amazing athlete.  Mims, Higgins, Shenault, and (later) Claypool and Pittman all fit that mold.  My latest mock had the Bengals sliding to the middle or Rd 2, drafting Claypool, and gaining an early third rounder which I used on a LB.  The other 3rd rounder I used on the safety as you mentioned.  Then, in the 4th, I got the RG from LSU, Lewis. 

WR in Rd 2 will be very interesting as there will be a lot of teams (or so I think) wanting to trade up to get "their guy" at #33...I hope the Bengals are flexible and will move off a guy like Jefferson to get a guy like Claypool AND Malik Jefferson the next round.  

You want us to draft Malik Jefferson again??
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 10:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You want us to draft Malik Jefferson again??

My apologies, oh Lord of Grammer...Malik Harrison.  
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 10:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: My apologies, oh Lord of Grammer...Malik Harrison.  

It’s not grammar, it’s the kids name. Lol

Reply/Quote
I’d try to sign him to a 2-3 year deal at a discount due to his injury history with some of that tied to games played so he has extra incentive to get out there. If he still wants top 3 WR average per year dollars then trade him for a first rounder if that’s a real option
Reply/Quote
I have to say I was disappointed when I opened the poll. I thought I had won a day with AJ and this was to set up the itinerary...
Reply/Quote
If we could get a first round pick or equivalent value I think its best for everyone to trade AJ.

Otherwise keep him on franchise tag and see what happens.

I was hoping they could package AJ and Andy to Pats but I guess that was a pipe dream.

Stay well everyone. Times like this make you appreciate even more the work by our mods and the friendships developed over the years through this platform.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 11:37 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I have to say I was disappointed when I opened the poll.  I thought I had won a day with AJ and this was to set up the itinerary...

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 11:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am curious what the majority of the board will choose here.   With Amari Cooper just getting $20 million per year on his new contract, I am assuming Green will want something close to that...$18 million per at a minimum.  I don't know the guaranteed dollars, and I'm sure that would be a sticking point....AJ will obviously want it, and the Bengals would prefer incentives.  Burrow openly campaigned for Green, so there's also that.  

AJ is a really hard one for me. For Dalton I'd take a 4th or 5th round pick if I could get it. For AJ it's different. When he's healthy he's one of the best WRs in the game and he makes a huge difference in the team's chances of winning games when he's on the field.

I'd take the 20-25 range 1st pick except nobody is going to offer that. If they did, I'd take it in a heart beat, then trade up in the 1st round and to take CeeDee Lamb as AJ's replacement.

The one year franchise tag contract of $18M is too pricey, but given that it's either that or nothing I'll stomach the $18M and hope that AJ does well this season.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 07:12 PM)BengalChris Wrote: AJ is a really hard one for me. For Dalton I'd take a 4th or 5th round pick if I could get it. For AJ it's different. When he's healthy he's one of the best WRs in the game and he makes a huge difference in the team's chances of winning games when he's on the field.

I'd take the 20-25 range 1st pick except nobody is going to offer that. If they did, I'd take it in a heart beat, then trade up in the 1st round and to take CeeDee Lamb as AJ's replacement.

The one year franchise tag contract of $18M is too pricey, but given that it's either that or nothing I'll stomach the $18M and hope that AJ does well this season.

That seems like the decision that's been made.  A year from now, the picture will be a whole lot clearer.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 04:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The purpose of the franchise tag isn't to use it to hold someone against their will.  It's intended to be a good faith gesture on the part of the team, to signify to the player that they want to work out a formal extension.

It's also worth noting that when the Bengals have used the tag, the end result has typically not been good. They've lost four of the five players they’ve tagged.

Justin Smith
Stacy Andrews
Michael Johnson
Shayne Graham
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 07:12 PM)BengalChris Wrote: AJ is a really hard one for me. For Dalton I'd take a 4th or 5th round pick if I could get it. For AJ it's different. When he's healthy he's one of the best WRs in the game and he makes a huge difference in the team's chances of winning games when he's on the field.

This is really one impact of the rookie wage scale that isn't often recognized as to how it could actually HURT veterans.  If it was the old system, you would be paying a guy like Lamb what you would be paying for a guy like Green...and he would be an unknown.  Now, with the rookie wage scale, it is a tremendous savings to have a high draft pick compared to a high-dollar veteran.  It isn't just at QB.  

James Rapien, when on Mo Egger's show, used to call Andy Dalton: "Blandy Dalton".  I didn't much care for the name, but there is some truth to it.  Aside from some late-game heroics against the Ratbirds a few years back, Dalton, while a very solid QB, doesn't set fire to ticket sales like Brady.  He would signal a clear stop-gap.  My hope was a team like the Pats trades for him and he has a career year (but still loses in the playoffs to the Bengals  Ninja).  I just think the excitement meter to sell to fans is pretty blah for him.  AJ, maybe a bit of the same since he has been injured so much.  I guess the bet on AJ to have a good year and see what this offense can become is the smart play so long as they don't wait until next year to draft his long-term replacement.  
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 08:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is really one impact of the rookie wage scale that isn't often recognized as to how it could actually HURT veterans.  If it was the old system, you would be paying a guy like Lamb what you would be paying for a guy like Green...and he would be an unknown.  Now, with the rookie wage scale, it is a tremendous savings to have a high draft pick compared to a high-dollar veteran.  It isn't just at QB.  

James Rapien, when on Mo Egger's show, used to call Andy Dalton: "Blandy Dalton".  I didn't much care for the name, but there is some truth to it.  Aside from some late-game heroics against the Ratbirds a few years back, Dalton, while a very solid QB, doesn't set fire to ticket sales like Brady.  He would signal a clear stop-gap.  My hope was a team like the Pats trades for him and he has a career year (but still loses in the playoffs to the Bengals  Ninja).  I just think the excitement meter to sell to fans is pretty blah for him.  AJ, maybe a bit of the same since he has been injured so much.  I guess the bet on AJ to have a good year and see what this offense can become is the smart play so long as they don't wait until next year to draft his long-term replacement.  

Finding his replacement this year would be the way to go, since rookie WR's can take a year to get going.  AJ pretty much hit the ground running but guys like him are rare.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote