Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does Mark Duffner do?
I remember we brought him in on defense as a senior defensive assistant. He has some DC experience with TB and here.

What does he do? Our defense has talent. It's woefully underperforming.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/3/7/18254757/bengals-announce-hiring-of-mark-duffner-and-gerald-chatman
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 11:14 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I remember we brought him in on defense as a senior defensive assistant. He has some DC experience with TB and here.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/3/7/18254757/bengals-announce-hiring-of-mark-duffner-and-gerald-chatman

I would argue that we don't have as much talent as some might think. We were the 32nd defense last year, near bottom this year. People are living in Geno's past. Has Lawson had a sack in the last 2 years? Our LBS are worst in the league. I'd say we are performing about as expected considering 0 changes were made to the defense from last year. 
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 11:19 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I would argue that we don't have as much talent as some might think. We were the 32nd defense last year, near bottom this year. People are living in Geno's past. Has Lawson had a sack in the last 2 years? Our LBS are worst in the league. I'd say we are performing about as expected considering 0 changes were made to the defense from last year. 

We have a bunch of 1st and 2nd Round picks in the secondary.

Preston Brown led the league in tackles 2 years ago in Buffalo.

Atkins is still a good Tackle. Billings and some of the other tackles show potential. Hubbard and Dunlap are quality ends.

I don't know though...you are how you play. It's either a massive scheme issue and poor coaching. Or talent. Or somewhere in the middle.
Reply/Quote
Interesting, Duffner was with the Miami Dolphins (’14-15). ZT was there then. As was Lou.

I don't know why, but I felt Duffner was kind of not on the friends and family plan.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 11:14 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I remember we brought him in on defense as a senior defensive assistant. He has some DC experience with TB and here.

Ironically bearing in mind ZT's mantra about 'communication' i really think the coaching staff are not aligned.  

We seem so fundamentally poor and nothing seems joined up across position groups 

For Duffner on D you could say Callahan on Offense...what is their responsibility vs. ZT, Lou and the position coaches exactly??
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 11:41 AM)sonofstat Wrote: Ironically bearing in mind ZT's mantra about 'communication' i really think the coaching staff are not aligned.  

We seem so fundamentally poor and nothing seems joined up across position groups 

For Duffner on D you could say Callahan on Offense...what is their responsibility vs. ZT, Lou and the position coaches exactly??

Yes - And I think the 'easy camp' didn't help.
Reply/Quote
With playing time, Pratt's PFF rating has plummeted to 42.7.

Preston Brown is 44.5.

Nick Vigil 50.4.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 11:19 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I would argue that we don't have as much talent as some might think. We were the 32nd defense last year, near bottom this year. People are living in Geno's past. Has Lawson had a sack in the last 2 years? Our LBS are worst in the league. I'd say we are performing about as expected considering 0 changes were made to the defense from last year. 

Lawson is what’s drivin me nuts. The guy was a beast, did the injury set him back that bad. He’s done nothing since. And our D line has been horrible, if the line would play to their potential the D would look better on the back end. I just don’t get it. Sure Geno and Carlos are getting old but this D line should be much better than what they have shown. The first game showed they can still play, then they just dropped of the planet since. So frustrating.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 11:45 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes - And I think the 'easy camp' didn't help.

but they fresh as daisy's
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 11:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We have a bunch of 1st and 2nd Round picks in the secondary.

Preston Brown led the league in tackles 2 years ago in Buffalo.

Atkins is still a good Tackle. Billings and some of the other tackles show potential. Hubbard and Dunlap are quality ends.

I don't know though...you are how you play. It's either a massive scheme issue and poor coaching. Or talent. Or somewhere in the middle.

The Bengals have 9.0 sacks through 8 games. Dunlap and Lawson each only have 1.0. Atkins and Hubbard each only have 3.0. The last is Kirkpatrick with 1.0.

Dunno if it's playcalling or what (I haven't watched a game in a month) but this front 4 cannot get to the QB enough.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Stand on the table for guys he wants to sign then the front office tells him no there to expensive.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 07:33 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Lawson is what’s drivin me nuts. The guy was a beast, did the injury set him back that bad. He’s done nothing since. And our D line has been horrible, if the line would play to their potential the D would look better on the back end. I just don’t get it. Sure Geno and Carlos are getting old but this D line should be much better than what they have shown. The first game showed they can still play, then they just dropped of the planet since. So frustrating.

It's frustrating, but remember what Geno was like that first year back from the ACL injury? He was mediocre at best and Guenther had that interview where he called him "just a guy out there". It'll take Lawson time to get back to 100% even if he's "healthy". 

It seems to me that the bigger guys take longer to come back from these kind of injuries, I'm guessing due to increased weight and thus pressure being put on the ligament. We see QB's and HB's come back quick and think that should apply to everyone but there's a difference between a 200-225lb guy coming back from a knee injury and a 265lb guy coming back from the same injury.
Reply/Quote