Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does Tee Higgins do that makes him worth 20+ million a year?
(06-19-2022, 12:48 PM)jason Wrote: ... And Jonah Williams. He won't be terribly cheap either. He ain't Andrew Whitworth, but he's a competent starting LT (regardless of claims to the contrary). He won't be easy to replace if they can't keep him.

True. Need to pay Jonah as well. Like I said, I don't think we will be able to keep Bates and I think it is the right move to 
move on from him with the drafting of Dax and Tycen. I don't think losing Bates will hurt near as much as losing any of Tee,
Logan, Jonah, Chase etc.

(06-19-2022, 03:20 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Jonah could be a cap casualty along with possibly Boyd and Mixon.  They really like Smith and we have 2 more seasons to develop him.

I like D'Ante but those are pretty big shoes to fill. Jonah has been a solid LT for us, I hope we keep him. He is also versatile.
Reply/Quote
Jonah isn’t going to command top tier LT money. I say keep him

for now
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 04:05 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Tee Higgins is prime AJ Green.

It's basically that simple.

Not at all.  

AJ had 14 40+ yard catches the first two years of his career.  Higgins has 4.  AJ was a top tier deep threat deep threat in his prime and Higgins just doesn't have that element to his game.  

Higgins is basically a V6 muscle car, while AJ was the genuine article with the V8.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 06:09 PM)Whatever Wrote: Not at all.  

AJ had 14 40+ yard catches the first two years of his career.  Higgins has 4.  AJ was a top tier deep threat deep threat in his prime and Higgins just doesn't have that element to his game.  

Higgins is basically a V6 muscle car, while AJ was the genuine article with the V8.

Their first two years haven't been perfectly similar but they have several extremely similar traits and I think Tee could go off this year to the tune of a prime AJ season. His ability in deep, contested catches and toe taps have just been scratching the surface. With a new oline and, hopefully, a fully healthy season I don't think 1300 yards 10 TDs (A Green-esque season) would be surprising at all. 

The only thing that may hold him back is having to share touches with Chase and Boyd haha.
Reply/Quote
One of my coworkers claims he met Tee Higgins at the play Hamilton last night in Louisville.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 06:16 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Their first two years haven't been perfectly similar but they have several extremely similar traits and I think Tee could go off this year to the tune of a prime AJ season. His ability in deep, contested catches and toe taps have just been scratching the surface. With a new oline and, hopefully, a fully healthy season I don't think 1300 yards 10 TDs (A Green-esque season) would be surprising at all. 

The only thing that may hold him back is having to share touches with Chase and Boyd haha.

Higgins could put up prime AJ stats, but that still doesn't make him as good as AJ Green.  AJ was the man every DC was focused on stopping.  Tee isn't.  Tee doesn't get matched up with #1 CB's and/or double teams nearly as much as AJ did.  

Higgins is a good player, but he just isn't a three level receiving threat like AJ.  He doesn't catch a WR screen, juke a defender, and pick up 10 yards and a 1st like AJ.  He doesn't have the big play ability AJ did.  When you look at Tee's handful of deep catches, they're all contested catches against backups, busted coverages, or the face mask he got away with in the SB.  He is, however, a great complimentary WR to a guy that can do all those things.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 08:19 PM)Whatever Wrote: Higgins could put up prime AJ stats, but that still doesn't make him as good as AJ Green.  AJ was the man every DC was focused on stopping.  Tee isn't.  Tee doesn't get matched up with #1 CB's and/or double teams nearly as much as AJ did.  

Higgins is a good player, but he just isn't a three level receiving threat like AJ.  He doesn't catch a WR screen, juke a defender, and pick up 10 yards and a 1st like AJ.  He doesn't have the big play ability AJ did.  When you look at Tee's handful of deep catches, they're all contested catches against backups, busted coverages, or the face mask he got away with in the SB.  He is, however, a great complimentary WR to a guy that can do all those things.
C'mon , aren't you being silly in regards to comparing 
A.Js deep catches vs Tee's deep catches 
A.J Green's 1st TD In his career was against busted 
Coverage  vs the Browns. 
Green also caught a long bomb courtesy of a tipped
Pass vs the Ravens. 
Let's not act like AJ Green didn't have some lucky balls end up in his hands 
Tee's long TD catch vs the Rams wasnt against a backup was it? 
Tee Higgins is a number #1 WR for good number of teams. Heck he could be a number #1 for the 3 other 
North teams 
Reply/Quote
I will never forgive y’all if y’all turn this into Tee VS AJ Green.

AJ in his prime was the next guy after Calvin Johnson. Period. Historic talent. I looooove Tee but cmon.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
They would never do it but the answer is simple - you cut Boyd and sign Tee.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2022, 01:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Youth as well and being a Bengals fan his entire life. I want this guy back and I am sure he wants to stay here.

Pay THIS man.

But Nate..Mike Brown and family will be applying for foodstamps soon and then what? Next thing ya know they'll have to pimp out the kids and the cheerleaders just to pay the rend on the stadium!

They'll be fine.. This team if nothing is pretty good at managing salaries.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 10:58 PM)impactplaya Wrote: C'mon , aren't you being silly in regards to comparing 
A.Js deep catches vs Tee's deep catches 
A.J Green's 1st TD In his career was against busted 
Coverage  vs the Browns. 
Green also caught a long bomb courtesy of a tipped
Pass vs the Ravens. 
Let's not act like AJ Green didn't have some lucky balls end up in his hands 
Tee's long TD catch vs the Rams wasnt against a backup was it? 
Tee Higgins is a number #1 WR for good number of teams. Heck he could be a number #1 for the 3 other 
North teams 

AJ had some lucky ones, sure.  As I said earlier, AJ had 14 his first two years alone.  Tee has four, and some of those were dumb luck, like the busted coverage that left him wide open his rookie year against the Colts where they still ran him down from behind.  Or the no call on him in the SB when he literally grabbed Ramsey by the facemask and slung him to the ground by it.  

Tough to see him as the #1 in Cleveland over Amari Cooper or Pittsburgh over Diontae Johnson, though he'd have a chance to compete.  He'd be the #1 in Baltimore, but who wouldn't be the #1 in Baltimore?  And seriously, there's a big difference between a WR1 and the best WR on a team with a bad WR corps.
Reply/Quote
Anyone arguing Tee VS Green needs to leave the board.

You obviously dont understand football. Green is a better route runner, hands catcher and overall threat to a Defense.

ANYONE actually debating this simply was not  around for Green's prime.

How teams have to guard Jamarr Chase, They had to do it 100x more VS AJ. AJ was a real threat to catch passes VS 2 defenders
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 11:27 PM)grampahol Wrote: But Nate..Mike Brown and family will be applying for foodstamps soon and then what? Next thing ya know they'll have to pimp out the kids and the cheerleaders just to pay the rend on the stadium!

They'll be fine.. This team if nothing is pretty good at managing salaries.. 

Made me laugh Gramps, but yeah, I think we bring Tee back...

To all the AJ vs Tee talk I have to say just stop.

They aren't really comparable as Housh says, AJ was a generational talent who had top end speed on the football field and I 
don't care about their combine forty times. AJ was different on the field and one of the most talented WR's to ever play in his 
prime. It isn't fair to Tee to compare the two.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2022, 10:54 AM)Housh Wrote: Tee talk dominates this board for good reason. We always talk about him being a 20 million dollar WR, and I think the talk is warranted. Im not talking numbers here, because his numbers on this team will never wow anyone.

But id like to discuss WHY hes a 20 million dollar WR.

My simple answer is feet, hands and height. Elite height at the position and above average hands. Most guys that tall have average or below average hands and feet. A great WR in the AFC that gets alot of talk and is used similar to how Tee is used is Mike Williams from the LAC. But id say Tee is better than Mike because Tee can be trusted to run complex routes.

We are gonna have a hard time keeping Tee.

One minor disagreement on here:  I think keeping Tee will just be a matter of making the finances work...it doesn't have to be that difficult.  You can go cheap at TE, RB, and slot WR where you just live on guys in rookie contracts.

As far as what makes Tee a $20 million WR, I would offer his contested catch ability.  He is so long, so strong, and has that basketball background to box out DBs and make big plays when needed.  He's a very sure-handed security blanket.  

He isn't a rocket off the line, and take a bit to build up speed, but his MPH is there.  

Lastly, the one thing I know about Tee is he did it as a rookie without Ja'Marr drawing coverage, and if you remember, he didn't even start his rookie season until game 3.   He is a bona-fide #1 WR and very few teams have two of those.  
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2022, 09:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: One minor disagreement on here:  I think keeping Tee will just be a matter of making the finances work...it doesn't have to be that difficult.  You can go cheap at TE, RB, and slot WR where you just live on guys in rookie contracts.

As far as what makes Tee a $20 million WR, I would offer his contested catch ability.  He is so long, so strong, and has that basketball background to box out DBs and make big plays when needed.  He's a very sure-handed security blanket.  

He isn't a rocket off the line, and take a bit to build up speed, but his MPH is there.  

Lastly, the one thing I know about Tee is he did it as a rookie without Ja'Marr drawing coverage, and if you remember, he didn't even start his rookie season until game 3.   He is a bona-fide #1 WR and very few teams have two of those.  

That is what is nice about the positions you said we can go cheap on, we can draft those positions and keep Tee who is more
important. You can find TE's, RB's and Slot WR's that are productive immediately. An outside, big WR like Tee who goes up for
the ball so well is much more rare.
Reply/Quote
Why is he a $20 mill WR?
He was 15th best WR in yards last year, and that's with being 2nd on the team.
I can imagine there will be a team that thinks he could be a Top 10 guy if he's the WR1.

But in terms of his skill set, I think it's mostly how he catches the ball.
Every time Higgins goes to make a catch, he extends his hands out and secures the ball.
He uses his size well, and he has good enough speed to go with it.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
JaMar Chase is so good , it's easy to forget
Just how good Tee really is.
Tee is deceptively strong and will break arm
Tackles after securing the catch
People say "well Tee doesn't draw the other
Teams number #1 CB...blah blah blah "
Well in todays NFL your number #2 CB
Is almost as darn good as your number #1
CB. It's a passing league now
Tee Higgins has elite WR skills
I hope Cincy can retain him long term
He is proven to be the best value pick of 2020 Draft
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2022, 05:58 PM)impactplaya Wrote: JaMar Chase is so good , it's easy to forget
Just how good Tee really is.
Tee is deceptively strong and will break arm
Tackles after securing the catch
People say "well Tee doesn't draw the other
Teams number #1 CB...blah blah blah "
Well in todays NFL your number #2 CB
Is almost as darn good as your number #1
CB. It's a passing league now
Tee Higgins has elite WR skills
I hope Cincy can retain him long term
He is proven to be the best value pick of 2020 Draft

Jonathan Taylor would like to have a word with you. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 04:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True. Need to pay Jonah as well. Like I said, I don't think we will be able to keep Bates and I think it is the right move to 
move on from him with the drafting of Dax and Tycen. I don't think losing Bates will hurt near as much as losing any of Tee,
Logan, Jonah, Chase etc.

I like D'Ante but those are pretty big shoes to fill. Jonah has been a solid LT for us, I hope we keep him. He is also versatile.

Jonah gave up 8 sacks... that is not solid.  He is currently middle of the road at best, I hope he has a great turnaround year this season.

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2022, 01:40 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Jonah gave up 8 sacks... that is not solid.  He is currently middle of the road at best, I hope he has a great turnaround year this season.

I saw a few they gave to Jonah that were Spain or Carman's fault but yeah, Jonah needs to improve and I think he will.
Reply/Quote