Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does football mean to YOU?
My real name is Nathan and football has easily been my favorite sport over the years and its not close.

Football IMO is the superior sport due to violence. I love the violence of football. I love a WR lowering his shoulder and getting 1 more yard. I love a Linebacker leveling a running back in the A gap. I love watching defensive backs cover. I literally sit and watch hours of offensive lineman blocking. This is why my favorite play of the year is when Jamarr Chase busted his ass to block for that long Mixon run. It was a WR showing that he wants to win regardless of what he had to do.

I was a small passive kid in high school. I didn't play any organized sports, and didn't have an aggressive demeanor. I could catch a football tho. That was the avenue I used to make friends. Most of my childhood friendships to this day are kids that I randomly met in a field playing football. This is why i love football. Football to me is more than a sport. Football was the way this awkward kid could start conversations with people. If your day is going bad, you can play football and win or lose your day is better. If you experience discrimination for ANY reason at all, you can play football and on the field you are equal.

I feel this way about football every year, but I cannot lie. The Bengals making it to the bowl is the only reason I made this post. I love the Bengals regardless of the names on the jersey. Seeing this squad make it so far re-ignited the flame that got me loving football in the first place. My first professional joy was seeing Chad Johnson and John Kitna. Now its Burrow and Chase.

Iv been on this board for over a decade and dont know some of your stories. Did you play in college or high school? Were you a coach? I would absolutely love it if the regulars on this board wrote what made them fans and/or why you love football.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Never played in school (despite my blazing fast 5.5 forty time) for the dumbest reason. I didn't want to go through the hernia check. But I grew up 5 minutes south of Cincy, and we had some huge games of backyard football. I'm talking 11 on 11 at the park, with players from the Holmes High Bulldogs, and 5 linemen.

I even had a Michael Jordan "flu" game. LOL

My friends needed one more guy and I went and played o-line. With the flu. On a muddy field. In November. A good friend of mine was trying to rip my ear ring out every snap. Fun times.

I can't say I love the violence. It's more about the chess match for me, and the individual matchups. How one big play can break a game open. The history of the game. The similarities between football and the military.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I was raised in a foster home and suffered savage mental and physical abuse until I was 13 years old. I finally snapped and killed my stepfather while we were watching a Bengals game.

Ever since then the Bengals have been a symbol of freedom and salvation to me.

And, also murder.

So they play a pretty big role in my life.
Reply/Quote
Started playing backyard football from the time I was old enough to move and started organized football in third grade.

Started varsity safety as a freshman in high school on the defending state football team.

Started at safety and one game at corner my sophomore year and they decided to also play me at receiver a few games in but, that night, I was in a car wreck.

Football was just larger than life. Being on the field was incredible. The adrenaline I'd have on the field and feeling like no one could stop me was the most incredible feeling. The fans being filled with fans going crazy was incredible.

I still get the feelings running through my body and the same excitement watching football now, especially the Bengals and even more-so when I'm at the games.

Football is just a link to the life I had before the wreck and helps me to feel alive in a way that I normally don't feel.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2022, 04:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I was raised in a foster home and suffered savage mental and physical abuse until I was 13 years old.  I finally snapped and killed my stepfather while we were watching a Bengals game.

Ever since then the Bengals have been a symbol of freedom and salvation to me.

And, also murder.

So they play a pretty big role in my life.

Thing is, you may be serious Mellow .  I mean, what could compel someone to become a lawyer Tongue ?
Reply/Quote
It’s a sport, I like competition, I enjoy watching pros do what pros do. That being said, I hate that it’s turned political with the whole kneeling and personal political views. It’s game. I like watching it, and I wear bengals gear and pull for them, good and bad years. That being said, it’s a game, I don’t let it affect my personal life. Id never vote for a new stadium if it cost me a dollar extra in taxes, and if they start kneeling or bring their political views into it. I can easily turn it off and watch AKC dog shows.

Guess I should also say I have played organized basketball, baseball and football my entire upbringing, I also played college baseball. So I love all sports!
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2022, 05:19 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: It’s a sport, I like competition, I enjoy watching pros do what pros do.  That being said, I hate that it’s turned political with the whole kneeling and personal political views.  It’s game. I like watching it, and I wear bengals gear and pull for them, good and bad years.  That being said, it’s a game, I don’t let it affect my personal life.  Id never vote for a new stadium if it cost me a dollar extra in taxes, and if they start kneeling or bring their political views into it. I can easily turn it off and watch AKC dog shows.

Just ignore the kneeling and watch the game.

Why deny yourself something you enjoy over something that has nothing to do with the game?

If you let them disrupt your life then they are winning.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2022, 06:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just ignore the kneeling and watch the game.

Why deny yourself something you enjoy over something that has nothing to do with the game?

If you let them disrupt your life then they are winning.

I can ignore it for the most part, not so much the last few seasons, but they gave it way to much publicity in seasons past, I always looked at sports on the weekends as an escape from life for a few hours, no politics, or personal views talked about or tossed in your face, just grilling, few beers, smack talking and pulling for your team.
Reply/Quote
I played football through high school, and back in the mid 2000's had a chance to play D2 ball until I suffered a few injuries. I think Football is the best sport in the world because there is a position for everyone. Basketball requires height, soccer requires endurance, etc. Football has a place for the big guy in the trenches, the acrobatic at wide receiver, the stocky at linebacker, etc.
Reply/Quote
In high school football was everything to me.  My best friends were on the team, and I was a pretty good player (on a terrible team).  My 2 best friends were about my size and we all lifted together all year round.

In college football was not very fun.  Instead of one of the better players I was scout team fodder and I didn't get real close to any of the guys on the team.  Also I hated the small Baptist School (Carson Newman) situation.  So I transferred to Tenn-Chattanooga after my freshman year and forgot about football in college.

I played basketball and baseball growing up, but football was always my favorite.  I was good at it and I loved the physicality (not "violence") of the game.

I have been teammates with 3 guys who played in the NFL.  In high school I played with Alan Wenglikowski, and in college I played with RBs Van Williams and Boyce Green.  Boyce was the Browns leading rusher in 1984.
Reply/Quote
Played hockey since I was 5 all the way through intramurals in college.
I didn't really get into football until 2005 season when the Bengals were finally good, but I never played organized football.
I'm a math/science person, so statistics and analytics are right up my alley.
I really like(d) that aspect of football.
Fantasy football, due to all the stats, is what really got me into being a big fan.
As years went by, I started getting more and more into the draft due to the analysis aspect.
At one point, I was participating in 5 fantasy football leagues, 2 of which I was the commish.

At the end of the day, I find football interesting and view it as entertainment.
I had started getting less and less invested starting from around 2017 or so, but this season has drawn me (somewhat) back in.
I'm not as interested in FFB though like I was.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2022, 02:25 PM)Housh Wrote: My real name is Nathan and football has easily been my favorite sport over the years and its not close.

Football IMO is the superior sport due to violence. I love the violence of football. I love a WR lowering his shoulder and getting 1 more yard. I love a Linebacker leveling a running back in the A gap. I love watching defensive backs cover. I literally sit and watch hours of offensive lineman blocking. This is why my favorite play of the year is when Jamarr Chase busted his ass to block for that long Mixon run. It was a WR showing that he wants to win regardless of what he had to do.

I was a small passive kid in high school. I didn't play any organized sports, and didn't have an aggressive demeanor. I could catch a football tho. That was the avenue I used to make friends. Most of my childhood friendships to this day are kids that I randomly met in a field playing football. This is why i love football. Football to me is more than a sport. Football was the way this awkward kid could start conversations with people.  If your day is going bad, you can play football and win or lose your day is better. If you experience discrimination for ANY reason at all, you can play football and on the field you are equal.

I feel this way about football every year, but I cannot lie. The Bengals making it to the bowl is the only reason I made this post. I love the Bengals regardless of the names on the jersey. Seeing this squad make it so far re-ignited the flame that got me loving football in the first place. My first professional joy was seeing Chad Johnson and John Kitna. Now its Burrow and Chase.

Iv been on this board for over a decade and dont know some of your stories. Did you play in college or high school? Were you a coach? I would absolutely love it if the regulars on this board wrote what made them fans and/or why you love football.

We were born with the same first name man, even though everyone calls me Nate as that is what I prefer. I was too small in 
High School for the coaches to give me any thought of playing real football with pads but I wish I would of went out for it. 

After HS I grew 4 inches and not many people recognize me that I went to school with lol

Loved the game then even though I was much better at basketball where I made my hay. I played tons of street football and 
about got badly hurt many times. Tackle football with no pads isn't for the faint of heart especially when you are the smallest 
kid on the field, at least I was at the time. I was a damn good Returner, RB, WR and DB of all sorts. Thought if I would of went
out for the team I could of made it and did some great things. I will never know though, so I just watch my Bengals and dream.

Was a great season for us and we are arguably the best football team in the world right now if we made a couple plays in the 
Superbowl. I too love watching the hitting, the technique and the instincts in all facets of the game of football more than any 
other sport by far.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2022, 02:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We were born with the same first name man, 

Might have to invoke the Highlander rite....  lol
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 12:24 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Might have to invoke the Highlander rite....  lol

There can be only one...?
Reply/Quote
There are only two sporting events for me that I watch religiously:

1. The NFL Season
2. The Kentucky Derby
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I played from the time I was 8, through high school. I started off in college as an athletic training major, and had to take two coaching courses. I took coaching baseball under Jim Ward, and coaching football under two time 1-AA national champion, Roy Kidd. I didn't wind up staying in that program, and only coached little league football for a couple of years while I was in college. It was a lot of fun working with the kids, but the parents of the era were just too much.

I like the strategy part of the game. I played OG, and was a little undersized at the position, but understood leverage and angles, plus I had a quick first step, all of which helped me play above my size. I did some long snapping, and also played backup DE. I liked the contact, but for me, it was all about the Xs and Os.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote