Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What draft pick would you have changed for Oline?
I definitely would have drafted Jon Toth © in the later rounds instead of a kicker.....
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm seeing both on here and Nationally that our draft is taking ahit because we "did not address the oline",So my question is to you and them: What Olineman would you have taken in the first 4 rounds instead of the players we got?

I mentioned first 4 rounds because a few folks are saying we should have taken Player X instead of the kicker in the 5th (BTW, we needed a kicker). So instead of complaining tell me who you would have taken

I think we have the chicken and the egg argument a little. I saw only one guy (not in round 1 through 4) that could have been a possible plug and play guard (Johnson).

The chicken/egg comment just because some fans feel they want every pick taken in 1st 4 rounds to start or contribute immediately. Those fans hopefully are thrilled as we have guys I think can d o just that. Others have no issue with developmental guys they may not be ready in 2017, but could be a long term NFL starter.

I loved this draft, I thought they drafted to win in 2017 which is what I wanted, but I can see while others disagree. As far as OL goes, I just think you nailed it earlier in another thread, the OL draft just did not fall to us this year and we would have had to reach to grab OL which I think long term is a very bad idea.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I'll admit there probably wasnt much they could do in this draft. Only thing they could have done outside of not picking Ross or Mixon, was to bundle up some 4th round picks & later rounds, maybe even give up next years 2nd round pick as well, to get an extra 2nd round pick this year. But who knows if any other teams would go for that, and obviously the Bengals dont make moves like that. Or they could have done something similar and used that bundle of picks and did what the Patriots did with their 1st rounder for Cook, and trade for a vet out there, then cut Pacman to make room $-wise if need be. But again who knows if a team would do that.

Regardless though, the Bengals are rolling the dice big-time with their o-line strategy this off-season. As I said elsewhere, if it works they will look like geniuses. If it it doesnt, there will be a lot of "I told ya so"s, as Andy will have been pummeled & this season will be a wash yet again.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:15 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Yeah, I'll admit there probably wasnt much they could do in this draft. Only thing they could have done outside of not picking Ross or Mixon, was to bundle up some 4th round picks & later rounds, maybe even give up next years 2nd round pick as well, to get an extra 2nd round pick this year. But who knows if any other teams would go for that, and obviously the Bengals dont make moves like that. Or they could have done something similar and used that bundle of picks and did what the Patriots did with their 1st rounder for Cook, and trade for a vet out there, then cut Pacman to make room $-wise if need be. But again who knows if a team would do that.

Regardless though, the Bengals are rolling the dice big-time with their o-line strategy this off-season. As I said elsewhere, if it works they will look like geniuses. If it it doesnt, there will be a lot of "I told ya so"s, as Andy will have been pummeled & this season will be a wash yet again.

I agree they may live or die with the OL.

I hope the OL is better than the 2016 version which when all was said and done was not good at all leaving AD on his back 40 times. I also hope our fans put the entire team through a microscope versus just a player or a position group.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I guess the other question to ask is this: were any of these later rounds guys better then Westerman? If not, then I don't see the point of drafting one.

I will also say that I have heard/read that the Bengals are pretty high on Redmond from UCLA from last year's UDFA class and Trey Hopkins has been in the program for a little bit. To be quite honest, the only real OG upgrades would have been Lamp, Elflien and Feeny.

The real issue is the ticking time bomb at LT and RT. I don't think anyone that we could have drafted from round 2 on would have helped.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 05:32 AM)McC Wrote: To develop.  In other words, no one to help this year anyway.

Thats what i was looking for. Someone to develop. Winston should be retiring. Bodine and TJ johnson will be free agents. Andre isnt getting much young. If Ogbuehi or Fisher flop we need a replacement this year and next year. 

Our depth will be paper thin this year. If Ogbuehi gets hurt we are shuffling 3 spots imo. Fisher to LT Andre to Rt and someone to RG.

We should have been more concerned about our backup T situation. I have less faith in Winston than i so Ogbuehi. And Andre has been on Eiferts level when it comes to injuries of late.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:21 PM)Beaker Wrote: Asiata with 5a, Elliott with 5b

This.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:21 PM)Beaker Wrote: Asiata with 5a, Elliott with 5b

This, except Gonzalez instead of Elliott. Either way, Asiata.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 07:15 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: This, except Gonzalez instead of Elliott.  Either way, Asiata.

I hope Simmons is correct about Elliott because it still bothers me they not only skipped Gonzalez, but that the player went to AFC north rival.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:22 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I guess the other question to ask is this: were any of these later rounds guys better then Westerman? If not, then I don't see the point of drafting one.

I will also say that I have heard/read that the Bengals are pretty high on Redmond from UCLA from last year's UDFA class and Trey Hopkins has been in the program for a little bit. To be quite honest, the only real OG upgrades would have been Lamp, Elflien and Feeny.

The real issue is the ticking time bomb at LT and RT. I don't think anyone that we could have drafted from round 2 on would have helped.

Moton from Western Michigan seems like a worthy exception.
Through 2023

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 07:20 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I hope Simmons is correct about Elliott because it still bothers me they not only skipped Gonzalez, but that the player went to AFC north rival.  

Elliott seems like a good one though. We shall see how it plays out. Gonzalez was the consensus K1 this draft.
Through 2023

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 12:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Now what I would like to see is us pick up one or 2 more Olinemen in FA for depth or in case Ced goes to shit

We need depth at the LT position. Bad.

Say Ced doesn't work, who gets thrown there? Eric Winston? That's our only backup OT.

Or do we shuffle the offensive line completely and try to but Fisher and Smith as our tackles?
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 07:25 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: We need depth at the LT position. Bad.

Say Ced doesn't work, who gets thrown there? Eric Winston? That's our only backup OT.

Or do we shuffle the offensive line completely and try to but Fisher and Smith as our tackles?

As of right now, TJ Johnson or the 5th rounder is all they have to play LT besides OG.  And I am just throwing out names there.  Unless Fisher moves LT and they kick Smith to RT.  They really have no one.   Nervous
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 07:20 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I hope Simmons is correct about Elliott because it still bothers me they not only skipped Gonzalez, but that the player went to AFC north rival.  

I instantly felt better about elliott when they mentioned he broke some of Gostkowskis school records
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 08:18 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I instantly felt better about elliott when they mentioned he broke some of Gostkowskis school records

Yes.  Simmons also emphasized that Elliott has the psychological grit to over come bad kicks, seems the most stable of the kickers.  It will still bother me though until Elliott makes a 56 yard FG under pressure lol.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
I would expect the Bengals to pick up at least 1 tackle in FA when teams start making cuts.
Reply/Quote
Just one decent OT in the 4th. We only have 1 backup
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 12:59 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I thought it was funny this was supposedly a bad OL class. 2 of the patriots 4 picks were OL. Needless to say I wont be surprised if they found a good one

Ppl gotta get off of the Patriots jock like seriously.

They've had as many shitty picks as any team in the league
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 12:59 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I thought it was funny this was supposedly a bad OL class. 2 of the patriots 4 picks were OL. Needless to say I wont be surprised if they found a good one

Ppl gotta get off of the Patriots jock like seriously.

They've had as many shitty picks as any team in the league
Reply/Quote
I'd rather have Asiata in Round 5 over the kicker. (I know your 4 rounds rule but I don't care that's who I wanted.)
Reply/Quote