Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What former draft pick were you so wrong about?
I really thought when the Bengals got Rey Maualuga, that he would be the steal of that draft, would end up getting nicknamed "Mauler" and become the Bengals' version of Ray Lewis. He was not a disaster or anything, but I expected him to be more than the average to below average lb he ended up becoming.

Going back more than a decade, I thought Kelley Washington would become a pro bowl #1 receiver on the level of Terrell Owens.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 07:42 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Going back more than a decade, I thought Kelley Washington would become a pro bowl #1 receiver on the level of Terrell Owens.

He did rival TO for TD celebrations with the Squirrel:

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 02:59 PM)Beaker Wrote: He did rival TO for TD celebrations with the Squirrel:

I just can't say that his celebrations rivaled that of T.O.  One, he never got into the endzone enough to carry the same weight and two, he never had the creativity to put multiple signature (pun intended) celebrations together.  IIRC, he had the same dance over and over.  Even more disappointing when you consider that he had a front row seat to celebrator extraordinaire Chad.   
Reply/Quote
i actually had a gut feeling that Khalid Abdullah, LB, in the 2003 draft would be a diamond in the rough player. It was Marvin's first draft and I deferred to his defensive expertise on finding this linebacker out of Mars Hill. As was, Khalid never even made the club..ha. He lasted 12 games in the CFL.
Reply/Quote
I thought Robert Sands would turn out to be a good safety (like Iloka is now), but dude didn't even bounce around in the NFL much.
Reply/Quote
Trent Richardson
Jason Allen
Michael Griffen

Bengal specific......Roddrick Muckelroy, Orson Charles, Keiwan Ratliff, Peter Warrick

Warrick was not a huge bust, but in college he was one of the most electrifying players I ever saw.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2017, 07:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I am terrible at QB. I thought Blaine Gabbard and Johnny Football would be good

Everyone, even the best NFL teams, have problems with college QBs.  Look at how many QBs were drafted ahead of Dak Prescott and Kirk Cousins.

I was sure that Cam Newton was going to be as big of a bust as JaMarcus Russell.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 07:00 PM)Goalpost Wrote: i actually had a gut feeling that Khalid Abdullah, LB, in the 2003 draft would be a diamond in the rough player.  It was Marvin's first draft and I deferred to his defensive expertise on finding this linebacker out of Mars Hill.  As was, Khalid never even made the club..ha.  He lasted 12 games in the CFL.

I was pretty sure he did play a little with the Bengals, but got injured?
Reply/Quote
Most recently, I thought Devin Smith, WR from OSU, was going to be a great vertical threat in the NFL. Didn't have the greatest QB play at OSU, had to wait on some balls, etc. but he could track a deep ball and had some serious speed.

Sadly for the Jets, he has had virtually no opportunity because of injuries and he's already out for this season with an ACL.

My biggest Bengals whiff has been Margus Hunt. I thought the guy would become a starting RDE that could rotate next to Geno on passing downs. I envisioned him blocking kicks and being an absolute beast once in an NFL strength and conditioning program.
Reply/Quote
Great thread.

Sedrick Ellis was one for me.  Before we got Geno we'd be in desperate need of a young,inside pass rusher. I was all in trading up for him and I hated the Keith Rivers selection so high - such a Marvin pick.

In the division I was a bit worried when the Browns selected Danny Shelton and Trent Richardson - at the time I thought they were aiming to go in the direction that the Jags are now....felt they were the sort of players who may come back to haunt us every year and remember reading some of our own coaches talking that way.

There's been a terrible run on highly drafted OL in recent years but I thought Greg Robinson and Jonathan Cooper would be maulers.

Going the other way Jared Goff is surprising me a bit...in a parallel universe where his HC is still Jeff Fisher I think he may still be struggling.  I felt him going to the Rams with them moving to LA , him being from California , etc was as much about selling tickets and marketing.  You know just some players and situations you do not trust...shows you the power of of a great HC and scheme (mcVay)
Reply/Quote
Damn there's been so many lol Trent Richardson I wanted to trade up for. Eddie lacey I really wanted . Franklin the other gb running back. Devon still I thought would look like his college tape. Johnny manziel I first saw him in college thought he'd be a star,and I think the NFL wanted him to be.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 07:00 PM)Goalpost Wrote: i actually had a gut feeling that Khalid Abdullah, LB, in the 2003 draft would be a diamond in the rough player.  It was Marvin's first draft and I deferred to his defensive expertise on finding this linebacker out of Mars Hill.  As was, Khalid never even made the club..ha.  He lasted 12 games in the CFL.

He was a good Special teamer and then he broke his leg in 2004 training camp and never became the same.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I remember Fredtoast blasting me because I said Doug Martin was going to be better than Trent Richardson...I was right but it's not like Martin has had thr career I thought he was going too lol.

As for a top pick I thought
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 03:46 PM)Synric Wrote: I remember Fredtoast blasting me because I said Doug Martin was going to be better than Trent Richardson...I was right but it's not like Martin has had thr career I thought he was going too lol.

As for a top pick I thought

Im never buying a RB as a top 5 pick again. IDC IDC IDC

Zeke can be Barry Sanders 2.0 and I will still swear to never touch a RB that early ha
Reply/Quote
I really thought TJ Clemmings would put it together. Physically as gifted as any OT in that class but an early injury and he just never put anything else together.

La'el is taking longer to acclimate to RT than I thought but he's getting there. It's his first full year.
Reply/Quote
Recent memory, Michael Oher. I thought he’d be a probowl OT and better than Andre. Andre hasn’t been great either, but he has/had a better career than Oher.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 07:10 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Recent memory, Michael Oher. I thought he’d be a probowl OT and better than Andre. Andre hasn’t been great either, but he has/had a better career than Oher.

Marketing. That's the key. 
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2017, 10:45 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Looking back, hard to believe that he transferred to Wisconsin, because NC State favored Glennon over him.

In their defense, Wilson had elected to go to Spring Training with the Colorado Rockies prior to his final year of eligibility, and they wanted someone all in on football.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 07:11 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Marketing. That's the key. 

I was an Oher fan long before the movie. He was a dominant college player, couldn’t handle the NFL speed or power.
Reply/Quote
Jimmy Williams, CB/S out of Virginia Tech. I thought Joseph was going to be a bust while Williams would be a perennial pro-bowler. Swing and a miss by me big time.
Reply/Quote