Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What happened to Jeremy Hill?
I know the simple answer is the offensive line...but I don't think that's solely it.

Even when we had good personnel on our line, he declined mightily from his rookie year.

How can a guy look that good as a rookie, then disappear?

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2016, 08:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I know the simple answer is the offensive line...but I don't think that's solely it.

Even when we had good personnel on our line, he declined mightily from his rookie year.

Thoughts?

What little of the game I did watch, Hill seemed to be searching for a hole and hardly ever found one. He did a lost of marching in place before being slammed to the turf.
Reply/Quote
It's the simple answer.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2016, 08:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I know the simple answer is the offensive line...but I don't think that's solely it.

Thoughts?

The loss of Jermaine Gresham's blocking...
[Image: hill-62-yard-blocking.0.jpg]

[Image: Gresham_2.png]

]
[Image: Gresham1.jpg]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The couple of carries burkhead had looked phenomenal. He found the whole and hit it hard. Hill seems to hesitate and stutter step. He needs to just see that hole, trust it, and punch it
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 08:55 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: The couple of carries burkhead had looked phenomenal. He found the whole and hit it hard. Hill seems to hesitate and stutter step. He needs to just see that hole, trust it, and punch it

THIS
Reply/Quote
burkhead got those carries when the Ravens were expecting pass late in the game...

I think Hill's problem is he is so worried about fumbling that its all that he is concentrating on and his play is suffering because of it... That Fumble had to be torture for him in that playoff game. It basically lost the game..

Edit . I am in no way downing Burkhead either. I think he can be great and I'm glad he is finally getting a shot. He seems to always do good things in the little time he gets...
Reply/Quote
The biggest issue Hill had coming out of college was his ball carrier vision. He did very well his rookie season, he saw holes and reacted quickly.

However, after that year he's gone back to his issue in college. He sometimes tries to wait for a bigger hole or tries to bounce it outside for a bigger gain rather than straight ahead.

Granted, that's not why this running game has struggled. It's blocking scheme and we have two below average lineman. Whit is declining and is probably going to be moved to interior by next season if the resign him.

Also, they don't use the FB much like they should. Hewitt is a good player and needs to be used fully. Keep him at FB, not a blocking TE.

Our offensive line isn't on the same page. They switch out Ogubehi and Winston. They have Zeitler have to help double team with Bodine or Ogubehi rather than worry about his own player.

There's a few reasons. But when it comes to solely Hill, it's his vision.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Unless you are some otherworldly athelete like AJ Green, your play will decline here.

Gio was great his rookie season, has declined
Kroft, Hewitt... declined
The lineman.. what happened to Zeitler.. declined?
Atkins has declined?!
Margus Hunt had some potential, that was snubbed quickly (lets wait 3 years before even letting him try to block kicks!)
Hell, even Dansby is tons worse now that he is on this team.
I could go on with the whole roster it seems... its just one of those years where everyone has declined.

I would say many of the rookies who get here that get a chance to play look great! Then they slowly get worse under Marvin and companies tootledge. Maybe that is why they sit rookies, they don't want them looking too good and making the veterans question the coaching... Ninja
Reply/Quote
I could tell y'all what happened to hill but you guys won't believe me.

In hills rookie year, hill did not excel until gio went down, and got the bulk of the carries, he'd get 25 carries 140 yard games. But they also ran him right for his skill set.out of I formation . He had a blocker. Hill is a downhill runner, he doesn't pick up speed quickly out of the run option look or out of shot gun, that's where he's slow and don't know where to go. Run him where he's already picking up speed. Do you think the old Steelers team would try to run the run option or out of shotgun all the time with Jerome bettis? No he wouldn't be the back that went to the hall of fame.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 09:03 PM)ANTHONY Wrote: I think Hill's problem is he is so worried about fumbling that its all that he is concentrating on and his play is suffering because of it... That Fumble had to be torture for him in that playoff game. It basically lost the game..

Hill stunk most of last year way before the fumble ever happened. I people are on the money that he's just not hitting the holes. Grant it, I think part of the problem is the Oline is doo doo but Hill certainly isn't making himself look good. 
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 08:55 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: The couple of carries burkhead had looked phenomenal. He found the whole and hit it hard. Hill seems to hesitate and stutter step. He needs to just see that hole, trust it, and punch it

To be fair burkehead was running against some sort of prevent as well.  Though I would love to see more of him, he is too good to be on the bench.
Reply/Quote
Hill needs to accept that he is a power runner who can break big runs if he gets to the second level..He looks to much like he trying to act like a home run hitting scat back to me.
Reply/Quote

That is because the Ravens never thought the Bengals would run it three straight times while trailing in the fourth quarter.  The biggest problem I see with the running game is predictability.  They know when it is coming based on formation and situation.  Hill does seem to go down from the first hit much easier now, though.  I would imagine another RB will be drafted this coming season and Tre Carson might be given a real chance next year as well.  

Hill doesn't play special teams and he isn't good at blitz pick up...so here's another:  when Gio is in the game, we are throwing the ball.  

At least they threw Hill the ball yesterday...I've been bitching about that for a few years now....he caught all five targets, I believe.  Of course, you can't throw it to Gio if he isn't playing.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Thoughts?

He's a big back running behind a shit oline. He's not shifty like Gio or Burkhead who are able to make more with less. He's the type of back that needs his hole when he's running other wise he's going to run into issues.
Reply/Quote
Jeremy's problem is that he dances too much in the hole. He needs to just hit it instead of trying to wait for the perfect hole to open up.
Reply/Quote
Yes, definitely need more Hewitt (you knew I'd say that, didn't you?), instead of all the endless over-intellectualizing of football the Bengals have done for the last season and a half. Run the ball early and often. I'd love to see Burkhead running behind Hewitt. It might work.

If the Bengals can't win, they can at least do right by the fans and make football entertaining.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 09:25 AM)Crowe Wrote: He's a big back running behind a shit oline. He's not shifty like Gio or Burkhead who are able to make more with less. He's the type of back that needs his hole when he's running other wise he's going to run into issues.

Or linemen Hilarious
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 02:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Or linemen Hilarious

LOL...yep
Reply/Quote
His feet stopped working properly.

Say what you want to diminish Burkhead, his lower half moves a lot better and doesn't go down as easy after first contact.
Reply/Quote