Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What happened to John Ross in 2017? He finally tells you
(08-02-2018, 12:20 PM)pally Wrote: He didn't use the word but depression is insidious and can sneak up on you especially after injuries or major life changing events.  I'm glad he found his way out.

Living in Seattle couldn't have helped. Seasonal Affective Disorder is pretty rampant there will all the rain and clouds.

Still not as bad as living in Cleveland though. Now THAT'S depressing. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Quite the story, extremely well written Jim O. Thanks. :andy:

Ross went through a rough time last year and i felt for him. He was always such a classy guy in college and it was
honestly pretty tough hearing everybody bashing him. I want to see the guy succeed not just cause he is a Bengal.

But because he is a good young man.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 08:21 AM)jowczarski Wrote: In 15 years in this business, I've never had a pro athlete speak like this.

Wow.

http://bit.ly/JohnRossOpensUp

Again, thanks in advance for any reads and/or shares. By all means drop some questions here if you have any. I'll have a follow up on Friday that has some other interesting quotes that couldn't make the story.

Great piece! Thanks for sharing!
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 02:00 PM)Shady Wrote: Living in Seattle couldn't have helped. Seasonal Affective Disorder is pretty rampant there will all the rain and clouds.

Still not as bad as living in Cleveland though. Now THAT'S depressing. 

Weird how i love the rain so much why everybody else gets depressed from it...
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 08:21 AM)jowczarski Wrote: In 15 years in this business, I've never had a pro athlete speak like this.

Wow.

http://bit.ly/JohnRossOpensUp

Again, thanks in advance for any reads and/or shares. By all means drop some questions here if you have any. I'll have a follow up on Friday that has some other interesting quotes that couldn't make the story.

Great article Jim, thanks for sharing and your insight.  That's good for John to open up and stop internalizing things.  It took me a lot longer in life to figure that out, and like him, I continue to struggle at times with it in my own life.  I can totally relate, and it makes sense what Ross went through after reading this.  I can relate.  Good for him. Also, helluva good teammate and man in Brandon LaFell. Nice to read that, helping the man that will ultimately take his roster spot. That's a pro.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Thumbs Up 
(08-02-2018, 02:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Weird how i love the rain so much why everybody else gets depressed from it...

ThumbsUp  And just for clarification for folks, I didn't mean to make light of depression. I appreciate Ross for his self-awareness that helped him clear that hurdle. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 02:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Quite the story, extremely well written Jim O. Thanks. :andy:

Ross went through a rough time last year and i felt for him. He was always such a classy guy in college and it was
honestly pretty tough hearing everybody bashing him. I want to see the guy succeed not just cause he is a Bengal.

Well said Nate!
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 10:17 AM)Goalpost Wrote: He looked disinterested in training camp last year.  He really did.  Just going through the motions.  He was a big disappointment to watch.  Glad to see this year is different.

I saw a different side, he was smiling, was the last to sign autographs for fans, seemed truly happy.

I would have never guessed he was carrying that pain/burden.

I think I even commented on here how genuine and nice he was.

Regardless hope 2018-19 is a big year from him!!!  
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Depression sucks. Beer and Weed could do a lot for this young man. Ninja

Reply/Quote
At least he is smart enough to realize that people coming at him trying to get close to him are after what he can give them......
Reply/Quote
The pressure of being a top 10 pick seems like it would be hard enough. When you are injured as an unproven, high-expectation rookie, it has to feel like a lonely NFL. Ross is a good kid and he has heart obviously. I hope he lights it up this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 02:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Quite the story, extremely well written Jim O. Thanks. :andy:

While we love the sport its important to remember these guys are human beings too... And young

Super Athletes  but human non the less.
Reply/Quote
Not just great information on what happened to Ross in 2017, but an excellent piece of writing Jim. Brilliant.

Lafell was undoubtedly a team leader, and it's obvious in articles like this, that there is no stat line for fans to recognize how important guys like that can be to the glue of a team. Always felt like when Whit left, there was a gaping hole at a key leadership position. Someone will have to step up into that Lafell role, because there is a ton of young talent that will need to be helped through the ups and downs of a normal season.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 05:22 PM)Brimey Wrote: Not just great information on what happened to Ross in 2017, but an excellent piece of writing Jim. Brilliant.

Lafell was undoubtedly a team leader, and it's obvious in articles like this, that there is no stat line for fans to recognize how important guys like that can be to the glue of a team. Always felt like when Whit left, there was a gaping hole at a key leadership position. Someone will have to step up into that Lafell role, because there is a ton of young talent that will need to be helped through the ups and downs of a normal season.

AJ

Reply/Quote
His story will end up being just another compelling thread in the fabric of what is going to be a magic season.

I love the fact that he went to TJ for help. He incorporates TJ's will and blue collar grit into his exceptional physical talent, that could be scary. Have the mindset of a 7th rounder and the God givens of a top ten pick. That's the path to greatness.

I still have seen nothing about the guy that does anything but make me root harder for him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
It is absolutely ridiculous that we have 2 strength and conditioning coaches on the payroll, but not 1 sports psychologist. These kids know better how to take care of their bodies than they do their minds.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 06:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It is absolutely ridiculous that we have 2 strength and conditioning coaches on the payroll, but not 1 sports psychologist. These kids know better how to take care of their bodies than they do their minds.

Good point. Coaches and teammates can only do so much to help.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 06:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It is absolutely ridiculous that we have 2 strength and conditioning coaches on the payroll, but not 1 sports psychologist. These kids know better how to take care of their bodies than they do their minds.

They absolutely do.  Excellent point.  And this is not a way of thinking they have instilled in themselves.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

Really true bfine.   They usually get their best support from their teammates.  And the sense I have is no one had anything for this young man last season. 

Shameful.   Everyone knew he was dying on the vine.  God bless Housh and Ross' own efforts to work through it.

Having worked with a few Vets with serious PTSD I can tell you that they are not going to listen to anyone, no matter how qualified, that hasn't lived through what they have.  Which is why Housh was such an awesome person for Ross to seek out. 

So if there is not a sports psychologist who's worth putting on the payroll the least the team should do is seek out the right mentor for a struggling player.  I truly believe that's what Wyche would have done.  He should not have had to wait for the offseason.
Reply/Quote

(08-02-2018, 07:14 PM)3wt Wrote: Really true bfine.   They usually get their best support from their teammates.  And the sense I have is no one had anything for this young man last season. 

Shameful.   Everyone knew he was dying on the vine.  God bless Housh and Ross' own efforts to work through it.

Having worked with a few Vets with serious PTSD I can tell you that they are not going to listen to anyone, no matter how qualified, that hasn't lived through what they have.  Which is why Housh was such an awesome person for Ross to seek out. 

So if there is not a sports psychologist who's worth putting on the payroll the least the team should do is seek out the right mentor for a struggling player.  I truly believe that's what Wyche would have done.  He should not have had to wait for the offseason.

Great points, never really thought about this before.

So true on Housh 3wt, you can tell he really helped out Ross this year.
Reply/Quote