Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
What happened with Green and the Bengals in Houston
While I admire AJ's competitive spirit, in wanting to play, I also completely understand the team's decision to shut him down. AJ Green is just too valuable to risk further injury, in what is essentially a meaningless game. Had the Bengals been able to put a few more W's up, earlier in the season, I could see letting him take the field to test his health in a meaningful contest.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
OT

And in other news; Pats are rolling the Jets on the way to another Championship run.

These are the days of our...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Yes, the Bengals need to get him those yards needed to break 1000 for the season. Even if it's 36 plays for 1 yard each, it needs to happen. Once those yards are gotten by Green, then sit him down for the rest of the year.

I'd be pissed too if I was 36 yards away from being the second player in NFL History to reach 1000 yards in his first six seasons and then get a chance at seven.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Then it makes sense to hold him out. 

Yeah, as disappointed as I am for AJ, because of how badly he wanted to be out there, it's more important to make sure he's 100% healthy and ready to go for next year.

Having said that, it seems the Bengals could have handled the entire situation better than they did.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:25 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Having said that, it seems the Bengals could have handled the entire situation better that they did.

Cincinnati Bengals M.O.; since 1968

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:25 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Having said that, it seems the Bengals could have handled the entire situation better than they did.

What could they have done to handle it better?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What could they have done to handle it better?

Not have their team not practice the entire week under the assumption that Green would play, for starters.
Reply/Quote
Marvin humiliated, embarrased and stripped of control of the roster by Mike Brown. Coaches outraged. Great news. Clear sign he's done in Cinci. Clearest sign yet. Owndership is back in control of the team until further notice. We just have to get through these next two games.

AJ wanted to continue the record, and I don't blame him.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:33 PM)jj22 Wrote: Marvin humiliated and stripped of control of the roster by Mike Brown. Great news. Clear sign he's done in Cinci. Clearest sign yet.

Everything indicates he'll be back. 
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:33 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Have their team not practice the entire week under the assumption that Green would play, for starters.
What if the assumption was he was playing? Sit him anyway?

Reply/Quote
Not when Mike just pulled the rug out from under him in the most public way since Henrygate. And the leaks of unhappy coaches are flying through the media.

This should be read for at the very least an interesting development as it relates to Marvins control of the roster and team 13 years in. You think Mike wouldn't trust his judgment if a player can play or not? Million dollar man Palmer was rushed back for a game with a bum elbow before being shut down. Burfict has been played when obviously concussed without issue.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:36 PM)jj22 Wrote: Not when Mike just pulled the rug out from under him in the most public way since Henrygate. And the leaks of unhappy coaches are flying through the media.

Links?

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:36 PM)jj22 Wrote: Not when Mike just pulled the rug out from under him in the most public way since Henrygate. And the leaks of unhappy coaches are flying through the media.

This should be read for at the very least an interesting development as it relates to Marvins control of the roster and team 13 years in. You think Mike wouldn't trust his judgment if a player can play or not? Million dollar man Palmer was rushed back for a game with a bum elbow before being shut down. Burfict has been played when obviously concussed without issue.

They're buddy buddy.

Stop getting me exicited. Now is not the time.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What could they have done to handle it better?

For one, the 'risks' associated with AJ playing on a partial tear were as prevalent as few days ago as they were when the decision was made to not play him. So, why allow him to practice during that time, when practice itself could have led to a worsening of the injury?

Second, why allow the coaches and players to practice all week as if AJ were playing and part of the game plan, and then announce at the last minute that he wasn't playing? As has been reported, they feel like the "rug was pulled from under them". As I said, the very same 'risks' were there a week ago, so why was he even permitted to practice and led to believe he would play?
Reply/Quote
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/351811/report-ownership-stepped-in-on-aj-green?ls=roto:NFL:topheadlines

Reply/Quote
Bengals management shutting him down when he's only 36 yards from breaking moss record. Well Aj will be gone when his contract is up bank on it. He'll never forget this. And I don't blame him.
Reply/Quote

I don't do twitter.  Could you do me a favor, a post a few?  I'd sincerely appreciate it.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:41 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: For one, the 'risks' associated with AJ playing on a partial tear were as prevalent as few days ago as they were when the decision was made to not play him. So, why allow him to practice during that time, when practice itself could have led to a worsening of the injury?

Second, why allow the coaches and players to practice all week as if AJ were playing and part of the game plan, and then announce at the last minute that he wasn't playing? As has been reported, they feel like the "rug was pulled from under them". As I said, the very same 'risks' were there a week ago.

Muscles tear and heal all the time, it just appears AJ's did not heal enough. It seems the team's hope was for him to play; he just didn't heal enough.

Do you really think the team had no intention of letting him play all along and just let him practice because? There is a whole lot less risk practices on a suspect leg that playing on one.

Many medical status calls are made late in the week; nothing new or "poorly handled" here. I'm sure everyone wanted him to play. 

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:07 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Re: contract bonuses -  I doubt it, as I'm sure some of the national guys who get information from agents would have let that out there. They are paying him $60 million the next four years and usually bonuses are attained throughout workouts and reporting dates (i.e. "guaranteed"). There's no financial consideration with this, IMO.

It is odd to me that he would leave. Now, all of his teammates will be asked about it by us after a game and I'm sure he'll regret putting them in that position. But who knows. As for where he went - couldn't tell ya.

Why?

It is a holiday weekend, and he has been told he will NOT be working Christmas Eve.  Who would stay at their job in that situation?  No one who has any risk of losing their job.  Instead they will do what he did, go spend the holiday with their family instead of arriving home in the wee hours of Christmas morning...
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Muscles tear and heal all the time, it just appears AJ's did not heal enough. It seems the team's hope was for him to play; he just didn't heal enough.

Do you really think the team had no intention of letting him play all along and just let him practice because? There is a whole lot less risk practices on a suspect leg that playing on one.

Many medical status calls are made late in the week; nothing new or "poorly handled" here. I'm sure everyone wanted him to play. 

Then perhaps you should talk to the people in the Bengals organization who Holtzman said were upset with "how the AJ Green situation was handled". Maybe if you explain it to them, they will see the silliness of their statements.

As far the the injury itself, the very same 'risks' were there last week when they made the decision to allow him to practice. Everyone said at that time that he wasn't healed, including AJ. My point is that he never should have been allowed to practice in the first place. They ended up making the right call IMO, but took a risky path to get there...by even allowing him to practice and risk further injury.
Reply/Quote