Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
What happened with Green and the Bengals in Houston
I actually think this is a very smart decision. Why risk our best offensive player in meaningless games? If he hurt himself worse and missed games next season people would be all over ownership for playing him.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 05:07 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Then perhaps you should talk to the people in the Bengals organization who Holtzman said were upset with "how the AJ Green situation was handled". Maybe if you explain it to them, they will see the silliness of their statements.

As far the the injury itself, the very same 'risks' were there last week when they made the decision to allow him to practice. Everyone said at that time that he wasn't healed, including AJ. My point is that he never should have been allowed to practice in the first place. They ended up making the right call IMO, but took a risky path to get there...by even allowing him to practice and risk further injury.

Meh, I'm sure folks within the organization can get emotional too. If the player is healthy enough to practice, you let him practice.

If folks want to be mad; they're going to be mad. I'm sure if AJ said he was good to practice all week and the team held him out, the folks mad about him practicing would have been happy with that call. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't have time to go through all the posts here, so if this has already been discussed, my bad, but after reading the article, to have him sit out the last week with only 36 yards to get him to 1000 is very concerning.  I could understand pulling him as soon as he reaches that number but Green should have say so in that as well and denying him that record on 'what could 'possibly' happen is shameful, IMHO!!!
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 05:25 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I don't have time to go through all the posts here, so if this has already been discussed, my bad, but after reading the article, to have him sit out the last week with only 36 yards to get him to 1000 is very concerning.  I could understand pulling him as soon as he reaches that number but Green should have say so in that as well and denying him that record on 'what could 'possibly' happen is shameful, IMHO!!!

Allowing him to play with an injury that isn't healed, and could easily be made worse by one wrong movement, is very risky. I think that taking into account 'what could happen' is smart in this case. The risks heavily outweigh the benefits IMO.

It would have been nice to see AJ get his 1,000 yards, but I honestly don't feel like it was worth the gamble.
Reply/Quote
Got to love this terrible franchise. Green deserves so much better than being stuck under a terrible owner like Mike Clown
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 05:42 PM)Trademark Wrote: Got to love this terrible franchise. Green deserves so much better than being stuck under a terrible owner like Mike Clown

No doubt. He deserves a franchise that would put him out there even when doctors advise against it. Because.....

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 05:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No doubt. He deserves a franchise that would put him out there even when doctors advise against it. Because.....

'cause extremes are the only option. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 05:33 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Allowing him to play with an injury that isn't healed, and could easily be made worse by one wrong movement, is very risky. I think that taking into account 'what could happen' is smart in this case. The risks heavily outweigh the benefits IMO.

It would have been nice to see AJ get his 1,000 yards, but I honestly don't feel like it was worth the gamble.

Canceling him a week out?????
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 05:50 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: 'cause extremes are the only option. 
Kindly list any "non-extreme" things this organization has done to AJ that has him deserving better. 

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:00 PM)jowczarski Wrote: It is true that it is not fully healed. A.J. said so himself, but he felt he was good enough to play and he told me he was comfortable with the idea that it wasn't totally healed.
Clearly, on Friday, they reached some kind of conclusion that he could suffer a more severe tear by playing at game speed and that made ownership leery of their $80 million receiver having to face offseason surgery (at the worst).

I can't speak to what the doctors said.
With ownership telling me Green faced an "inordinate risk" in playing, it means they were told he could play - but there is a better chance that he tears that thing off the bone in its current state as opposed to say, a 100 percent healthy hammy.

Hamstring injuries are tempermental and easily aggrevated resulting in a longer recovery or as you noted surgery.  Does the risk of injury outweigh the benefit of playing?  If it isn't healed he shouldn't play.  That's an easy decision.

Jim, do you know if NFL injuries are handled the same as Worker's Comp injuries or differently due to the CBA?  In most cases, the doctor's can discuss what is going on with the patient's consent.  Have you ever asked for consent?
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 05:33 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Allowing him to play with an injury that isn't healed, and could easily be made worse by one wrong movement, is very risky. I think that taking into account 'what could happen' is smart in this case. The risks heavily outweigh the benefits IMO.

It's a gamble anytime those guys step out on the field. Any wrong move could be there last wrong move and any hit they take could be there last.

Keeping them in a little bubble of safety because they worry about their health when they want to play is bass akwards, and insulting to their competitive nature.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Why do they just figure this out after 2 weeks of practice then? If he could totally tear it off the hamstring and faces an inordinate amount of risk...then you don't have him running. You more importantly communicate it to Green...

It's likely PR spin for the Bengals...or ineptness in allowing him to practice.

Most likely poor communication.  Studies have shown patients forget 40-80% of what their doctor tells them immediately.  Half what they do remember is incorrect.

I told this to my mother-in-law.  She remembered I told her half of what the doctor tells you are lies.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 08:04 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: It's a gamble anytime those guys step out on the field. Any wrong move could be there last wrong move and any hit they take could be there last.

That's true...but the gamble is much, much greater when the player is already injured and not properly healed.

Quote:Keeping them in a little bubble of safety because they worry about their health when they want to play is bass akwards, and insulting to their competitive nature.

Making an injured player sit until he is properly, or sufficiently, healed isn't putting them in a 'bubble of safety'...at least in my opinion. Instead, it's taking a necessary precaution to make sure that a 50% tear doesn't become an 80% tear, or worse. These next two games are basically meaningless in the big picture. Why take a risk like that if it isn't needed?

As badly as he wants to get back on the field (and I'm sure he's disappointed as hell right now), it was AJ himself that said - "I'm not going to put my whole career [in jeopardy] just because of a record. I've got a lot of football left to be played and I'm not going to push it just to try to get that and have to miss more time next year or have surgery because I went out too early and tore it even more."
Reply/Quote
Lol ppl really wanna risk AJ Green so he can get some dumb stat?
Reply/Quote
Typical Son of Paul bullshit.  Goddamn I wish he'd just GTFO or move the team already.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 05:13 PM)GodFather Wrote: I actually think this is a very smart decision. Why risk our best offensive player in meaningless games? If he hurt himself worse and missed games next season people would be all over ownership for playing him.

Oh.....I agree with this....but why did they string him along and piss him off? Mike Clown is a P.O.S.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 05:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No doubt. He deserves a franchise that would put him out there even when doctors advise against it. Because.....

No sure how you're defending this. I don't think anyone disagrees that its the right call to shut him down if its still torn. There should be no reason to risk him. 

How is it that they didn't know this until today? Was someone hoping it would magically heal between friday and today?

Doesn't matter how you look at it, this was handled poorly.
Reply/Quote
Sit him this week, play him 36 yards worth next week, be done with it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:33 PM)jj22 Wrote: Marvin humiliated, embarrased and stripped of control of the roster by Mike Brown. Coaches outraged. Great news. Clear sign he's done in Cinci. Clearest sign yet. Owndership is back in control of the team until further notice. We just have to get through these next two games.

AJ wanted to continue the record, and I don't blame him.

You think THIS ownership being back in control is a good thing?  It's downright terrifying.
Reply/Quote
This team and its medical wishiwashiness is irritating.

If Green's hamstring is 50% torn I just don't understand why he was placed on IR the very next day after the injury occurred.

Mikey boy looks like he wants to be seen getting involved in day to day player matters, which doesn't bode well for Marvin's future. Mikey usually finds a way to alienate our best players sooner or later.

Reply/Quote